Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

That's my friend. And also a goon. He (relative q and Apt One) put out some really good work.

geeves fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

geeves posted:

That's my friend. And also a goon. He (relative q and Apt One) put out some really good work.

This is pretty good.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Everyone's said this already but that episode was pretty great. Not-insufferable Cameron is rad, although I hope the inevitable return to obnoxiousness isn't too annoying.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The ole' brick-in-the-box

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

"That shoe you're sitting on came all the way from Italy."

Classy, Joe.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Never thought I'd hear the Dicks on television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDwSqERSSh0

An unknown hardcore punk band from Austin.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Was the guy who got hit by the electric pole the same guy who sold Gordon the brick or just some random person?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Yo-yo is the best character. I hope that dude doesn't get fired or anything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ThaGrandCow posted:

Was the guy who got hit by the electric pole the same guy who sold Gordon the brick or just some random person?

He didn't get hit by the pole, he was walking on the pooled water when the pole fell and the live wire electrocuted him. If anything, I thought his face looked like Joe's. I got a very 'Luke sees his own face in Vader's helmet' moment out of that scene.

That being said, why couldn't they have loving STARTED with *these* episodes?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That being said, why couldn't they have loving STARTED with *these* episodes?
Because you need to build the computer first for it to catch fire.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He didn't get hit by the pole, he was walking on the pooled water when the pole fell and the live wire electrocuted him. If anything, I thought his face looked like Joe's. I got a very 'Luke sees his own face in Vader's helmet' moment out of that scene.

Looked like a blind person, either that or electrocuted people have grey eyes.

Only two more episodes right? I don't know how the season (show?) will end like this.
E: 10 episodes.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 7, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

These last two episodes have been really good. Too bad they already tanked their ratings with the first four.

drunkill posted:

Only two more episodes right? I don't know how the season (show?) will end like this.

Four more episodes of the season. I don't know anything about what determines whether shows get canceled or renwed but the episode before last got half a million viewers which seems pretty bleak.

That Hurricane was Alicia, which did indeed wallop Houston. Heard some stories from my dad trying to drive around downtown with glass covering the roads from all the skyscraper windows being blown out.

Also lol at Yo-Yo the goon being friendzoned.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 7, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

drunkill posted:

E: 10 episodes.

AMC's got a huge hole in its network line-up, I expect HACF to get a second summer season for lack of anything better and banking on the hope that once the initial damage from the first few episodes have been forgotten the show's ratings pick up.

The first season of Mad Men had some rocky episodes before they hit their stride, and I can think of plenty of popular shows known for having mediocre first seasons then do much better moving forward.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Speaking of AMC shows, is Hell On Wheels worth watching yet?

I got fed up with Walking Dead sometime in season 2 but started watching the second half of Season 4 this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at how much less awful it was, probably because everyone I hated from the first two seasons are now dead, and because everyone was on the move instead of lingering around one location playing Lord of the Flies.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

Speaking of AMC shows, is Hell On Wheels worth watching yet?

I got fed up with Walking Dead sometime in season 2 but started watching the second half of Season 4 this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at how much less awful it was, probably because everyone I hated from the first two seasons are now dead, and because everyone was on the move instead of lingering around one location playing Lord of the Flies.

You haven't watched Hell On Wheels yet? I like the show. It's worth a try for sure. Next season starts 8/2. Also, I am enjoying HACF, I hope they bring it back.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It would be pretty mean spirited but i would laugh if they have a scene where someone points out that average looking guy is relatively fat for 1983.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait wait you guys are saying this is becoming watchable? I loved the concept but for now it was fairly insufferable.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Cingulate posted:

Wait wait you guys are saying this is becoming watchable? I loved the concept but for now it was fairly insufferable.

It certainly is. Last week seemed like a turnaround and this week was good too. I really liked Gordon's plot this week.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Show has a lot of potential, but it got lost in the "Make Cameron an angsty punk and Joe a almost-Patrick Batemen"

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

strangemusic posted:

It certainly is. Last week seemed like a turnaround and this week was good too. I really liked Gordon's plot this week.
Agreedo.

Curious what direction they'll go in next season, though (assuming there is one).

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
This show is definitely getting a lot better. The major characters are still weak as hell though -- honestly The Wiz The Boz is the only character I really like and care about. It seems like they realized this far in that the characters were pretty poorly fleshed out, so they decided to just have them do uncharacteristic things instead as if that would make them more interesting.

Donna's obviously upcoming infidelity subplot doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me right as her husband finally looks like he's doing something right. Gordon's B&E was just bizarre. And Joe's look how good I am with kids! scene was just the complete opposite of everything that came before, in my opinion. Last episode Cameron had the same complete 180 in character. The only one who's been consistent so far has been Bosworth, and he also seems like the only one with anything at stake.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Jake Armitage posted:

This show is definitely getting a lot better. The major characters are still weak as hell though -- honestly The Wiz The Boz is the only character I really like and care about. It seems like they realized this far in that the characters were pretty poorly fleshed out, so they decided to just have them do uncharacteristic things instead as if that would make them more interesting.

Donna's obviously upcoming infidelity subplot doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me right as her husband finally looks like he's doing something right. Gordon's B&E was just bizarre. And Joe's look how good I am with kids! scene was just the complete opposite of everything that came before, in my opinion. Last episode Cameron had the same complete 180 in character. The only one who's been consistent so far has been Bosworth, and he also seems like the only one with anything at stake.

I think some people in this thread and elsewhere have tried to ask why Madmen worked vs. HCF doesn't or didn't at first. I think Madmen's subject is more viewer friendly, it was the advertising pitch that ended up with jingles, photos, billboards, etc. that we see and hear every day, regardless of if we want to or not.

Halt and Catch Fire is talking about a blackbox to most people; the innards of the the thing on our desk that allows us to look at cat gifs. What Madmen showed were pictures and words that are far easier to connect to an audience in a 2 minute scene than multiple scenes of loud Cameron punk music and incomprehensible math scribblings while she bites her lip or Gordon staring and poking at a circuit board with a soldering iron.

I don't remember Madmen season 1 that well, but what I remember was they quickly established different groups of characters, their relationships, their business hierarchy all very quickly. Don and Creative, Joan and Peggy and the Secretary pool, Pete and Accounts, Bert and Roger and the Executives. Their families. Better still they all interacted with one another regardless of the hierarchy (even if in sometimes stereotypical ways). (I know I'm forgetting a lot, especially in regards to when everyone was introduced). Madmen was always able to balance things out heavily in favor of the characters versus whatever client they were pitching.

Halt and Catch Fire in the meantime started very insular. And all about this new PC. The first 3 or 3.5 episodes there was the plot of the BIOS and building the PC; the goal of Joe, Gordon and Cameron. The show felt suffocating for the first 3 episodes, they felt so much just about the macguffin. Now that they have had their breakthrough I hope the show will be able to move past the macguffin and allows the characters to interact more with each other and get more into each of their lives. There were some other characters in episode 1 and 2 that have since vanished altogether (I'm hoping they'll be back). Now finally we've had the introduction of the coder monkeys and the hardware monkeys. I just hope they're not a sounding board for Cameron and Gordon.

As for those who try compare Joe to Don Draper. That's not an unfair comparison. Both are savvy, obsessive and have a way with how business works with clients and desperately want to succeed. Both have had difficult childhoods and "former lives" from which they are trying to escape, but Joe came from an affluent childhood while Don came from poverty. That might be oversimplifying things, but we haven't had as much time with Joe as Don.

The biggest difference between the two (for me, so far) is that Don actually has talent behind his ability to sell - that he could actually design and produce results. Joe can only sell his vision; he has no ability to actually make it happen on his own beyond his own force of nature (yes, I've hard Joe is supposed to be a Steve Jobs-type). Joe cribs from other people's ideas (Gordon's article and Cameron's now interactive OS) and in that he comes across even more of an rear end in a top hat when he micromanages people about things he cannot fathom and also how he underestimates Cameron and Gordon. In the end I think Joe believes they're both capable of great things - just more in an immediate prodigal way vs. how Peggy proved her natural ability to Don and Don took notice.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thing is, I'm really into the MacGuffin and the first episodes annoyed me to no end. I'm not really disagreeing with you, but I hated the first few in spite of the computer talk, not because of.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Jake Armitage posted:

Donna's obviously upcoming infidelity subplot doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me right as her husband finally looks like he's doing something right.
Maybe they'll play it such that the boss makes an unambiguous pass at Donna and that's what prompts her to leave her current job and join Gordon in s2.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Jake Armitage posted:

And Joe's look how good I am with kids! scene was just the complete opposite of everything that came before, in my opinion.

I think it fits, especially with the conversation with Cameron at the beginning of the episode about showing people who you really are, followed by adjusting his outfit after seeing the billboard. He basically just put on a show for the kids and lied to them with flash lights. The storm didn't stop because he waved the flashlights around, but they were entertained nonetheless, and he comes off looking good doing it. This is basically is whole schtick.

Gordon on the other hand waffles back and forth between being smart enough to survive and too dogged for his own good. On one hand, he's not going to let anything stop him from accomplishing what he focuses on (getting a doll, pc design). But he's probably not smart enough to realize when to stop (b&e in a life threatening storm, ignoring his family & getting manipulated by joe).

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 8, 2014

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Thing is, I'm really into the MacGuffin and the first episodes annoyed me to no end. I'm not really disagreeing with you, but I hated the first few in spite of the computer talk, not because of.

I agree. I didn't so much as hate them, episode 2 and 3... they just felt tedious. I thought the pilot was okay given the amount of exposition it tried to give the audience.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

geeves posted:

Joe can only sell his vision; he has no ability to actually make it happen on his own beyond his own force of nature (yes, I've hard Joe is supposed to be a Steve Jobs-type). Joe cribs from other people's ideas (Gordon's article and Cameron's now interactive OS) and in that he comes across even more of an rear end in a top hat when he micromanages people about things he cannot fathom and also how he underestimates Cameron and Gordon.

See this is one of the things I really like about this show though, because it rings so true. I deal with people like Joe every single day, guys waving their hands and making bizarre demands even though the people who know what they are doing are saying "not possible", and trying to take credit for things, "look what I built" or "look what we built" when they not only didn't build anything, they have no idea what the guys who did build it actually did.

But at the same time, there is a reluctant respect and reliance for those guys, which is why Donna and Gordon hate Joe but respect him all the same. Cameron is just an idiot, but Gordon knows that without Joe's direction, whether he knows what he's doing or not, he'd be where he was the first time he tried this, which is nowhere. Just like all the programmers would sit around hacking Adventure or coming up with absurd ideas like giving a PC a personality at the expense of hardware real estate and limited memory for actual applications. That last episode was especially good because it showed something that's really real in this industry, that it all works because all of those different skills and personalities come together in a perfect blend and individuals either step up or get out of the way or compromise or whatever and then something magical happens. Sometimes.

Factor Mystic posted:

This is basically is whole schtick.

I didn't look at it that way, but I think you're completely right now that you mention it.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 8, 2014

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Cameron's the worst Manic Pixie Girl, and she can do Computer Wizardry.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Dang mang, she's the futcha I tell you hwut, ain't nothin' scarier than that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Donna: Did you get the cabbage patch doll?

Gordon: Did I get cabbage?

Donna: No, the doll!

Gordon: Oh yeah of course. I left it at the office!

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 9, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Daddy, why didn't you save the box?!?! Don't you know it's only collectible if you save the box!"

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

I told my wife "Man those kids are going to be so sad he didn't get their birth certificates." She was like "They're 6. They probably don't even know they have birth certificates."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Daddy, why didn't you save the box?!?! Don't you know it's only collectible if you save the box!"

And he left the horse behind like a dumbass. Not so smart now, are ya Gordo

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

There are absolutely flaws but I really like this show so far, I remember the first season of Breaking Bad when the characterization was still settling and that feels so similar to this show.

I hope the ratings improve, this show is worth a few seasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I was groaning super hard at this infidelity arc but I actually love how it turned out.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Honestly I did not see that coming. I'm definitely glad it played out like that vs the other alternatives.

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar
I loved Bosworth punching that guy in the face. I want a gif of that. Also, what was the significance of him looking at that computer magazine and then making that call?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Pretty sure he wants to get a hacker (e.g. Cameron) and target some bank accounts.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
7 episodes in and Cameron will still not shut the gently caress up about the 'beige box'.

edit: And how many red flags does she need to realize Joe is not her soul mate.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I just assumed Cameron and Joe were gently caress buddies. I never thought until this episode that Cameron actually had feelings for Joe.

• Locked thread