Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
God drat Cameron is a lovely character. I really liked her in the pilot, but Jesus. It's like they hired a writer just for her and that person is dead set on tanking the show, maybe as some sort of revenge on AMC for cancelling Rubicon.

Or maybe this is one of those weird challenges, like "Let's get lovely ratings and tank the characters for 6 episodes and then try to dig back out of that hole."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Anyone have some recommendations for music like Trentmoller's intro? I know of Kavinsky but that's about it.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Yo-yo is the best character. I hope that dude doesn't get fired or anything.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

I enjoyed that episode.

Also a friend commented on the intro saying that it's, "Electronic sperm meets egg, and a computer is conceived." Maybe that was obvious to you folks, but I can't believe I didn't see what was going on there until now.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

this became a good show, and I couldn't be happier about it. shame there's basically no way it'll get a second season

I wouldn't accept that as fate yet. HCF has few viewers, sure, but it's a bit of a unique case. Other AMC shows like Low Winter Sun that were cancelled had better ratings, but a lot of those ratings were due to Breaking Bad as a fantastic lead-in. HCF's first three episodes ran against loving Game of Thrones in its powerful last three episodes of the season. By comparison, Mad Men's mid-season end at the same time got just 1.9 million viewers to HCF's 1.2 premier a week later in the same slot.

That Mad Men episode included probably the most important historic event to happen during the Mad Men era. It should have done a lot better. And this is HCF, a show that's a slow burn and acquired taste for people who don't know what a BIOS is, so you can't jump right in to episode 4 and know what's going on.

My point is that the HCF ratings were going to be lovely from the very start.

Second, AMC wants to have Emmy-nominated historical dramas on the network. But Mad Men, its main show in that genre, is ending. Better Call Saul got delayed and is not historical. Turn, a historical drama, got renewed despite some pretty lovely reviews from critics and mediocre ratings. But critics seem to like HCF. Of AMC's 26 Emmy nominations, only two didn't go to Breaking Bad or Mad Men, and those were to Walking Dead's effects and sound. Hell on Wheels is doing good, but got no Emmy nominations. If AMC thinks that HCF has some Emmy material, especially in its last few episodes, then that adds value to the show.

Third, AMC is low on shows for 2015 already. They are also trying to build up the Sundance channel, so there's a chance that HCF gets moved to there.

Then there's the final kicker: The audience for HCF is wealthy. There might not be many viewers, but the viewers that do watch the show have money to burn.

That's a lot of good reasons to possibly renew HCF despite its low ratings. It might get overhauled, moved, or only given 5 episodes, but I wouldn't be that surprised to see it renewed.

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 24, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Holy poo poo that Mac.

Also I liked the lovely printer guys. That was more representative of early computer expos than anything else.

Speaking of which, here's some VHS video of the real 1983 Comdex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNS8TE4XhU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

There's something logically askew here. The Slingshot guys didn't have a product and yet they offered to pay Cardiff off. If they were genuinely going to be first to market with a cheaper product, why do that? Is it to pay Cardiff to not compete? That doesn't make sense given the crapheap of players. Why worry about Cardiff's competition?

Is it to prevent a legal battle? As the guy said, they're in the compatible business and Cardiff is knee-deep in poo poo already. By the time a lawsuit got settled, the fight would be long over. That reason also doesn't make sense.

I bet those guys were actually working for IBM. I bet they're being bankrolled by Joe's dad, which makes perfect sense given how IBM is set up as the antagonist and how there have been hints about IBM's portables. The timeline is right, too.

If Cardiff accepted the payoff, Slingshot's company ("Whitwell Computing") probably would have immediately been sold to IBM, where the only value of that business would be their settlement contract with Cardiff. They don't have a computer, they don't have the manpower for a litigation-proof IBM bios like Cardiff made, they're just trying to steering things to make way for IBM's upcoming portable. In this part of the story story, Cardiff is obviously Compaq and the Giant is the Compaq Portable.

By the way, this little preview of the finale is funny as hell:
http://www.amctv.com/halt-and-catch-fire/videos/sneak-peek-episode-110-halt-and-catch-fire-1984
(It doesn't give away anything really, as far as I can tell).

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Is it just me, or was the intro slightly different this episode?

Also here's an interview with the show creators:
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Halt-and-Catch-Fire-Season1-Finale-Postmortem-1085225.aspx

It's an interesting read, but I don't like it that they're not committed to having Bosworth in Season 2 (if it happens). To me, that's a total no brainer.

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 4, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

It would have been better if it was better.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Forgive me, guys, but I would like to take a second to gloat like a complete douchebag about this post:

Meatwave posted:

I wouldn't accept that as fate yet. HCF has few viewers, sure, but it's a bit of a unique case. Other AMC shows like Low Winter Sun that were cancelled had better ratings, but a lot of those ratings were due to Breaking Bad as a fantastic lead-in. HCF's first three episodes ran against loving Game of Thrones in its powerful last three episodes of the season. By comparison, Mad Men's mid-season end at the same time got just 1.9 million viewers to HCF's 1.2 premier a week later in the same slot.

That Mad Men episode included probably the most important historic event to happen during the Mad Men era. It should have done a lot better. And this is HCF, a show that's a slow burn and acquired taste for people who don't know what a BIOS is, so you can't jump right in to episode 4 and know what's going on.

My point is that the HCF ratings were going to be lovely from the very start.

Second, AMC wants to have Emmy-nominated historical dramas on the network. But Mad Men, its main show in that genre, is ending. Better Call Saul got delayed and is not historical. Turn, a historical drama, got renewed despite some pretty lovely reviews from critics and mediocre ratings. But critics seem to like HCF. Of AMC's 26 Emmy nominations, only two didn't go to Breaking Bad or Mad Men, and those were to Walking Dead's effects and sound. Hell on Wheels is doing good, but got no Emmy nominations. If AMC thinks that HCF has some Emmy material, especially in its last few episodes, then that adds value to the show.

Third, AMC is low on shows for 2015 already. They are also trying to build up the Sundance channel, so there's a chance that HCF gets moved to there.

Then there's the final kicker: The audience for HCF is wealthy. There might not be many viewers, but the viewers that do watch the show have money to burn.

That's a lot of good reasons to possibly renew HCF despite its low ratings. It might get overhauled, moved, or only given 5 episodes, but I wouldn't be that surprised to see it renewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1Jwyxd4tE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

This gif from another thread reminded me of HCF:

• Locked thread