Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Wow, look at all these people I barely know.

Good morning, everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Amnistar posted:

I call upon all other countries to assist me in this matter. Spain must be reborn, and that is impossible while this pretender Aragon exists. Any who assist in the removal of this false nation shall be remembered in the future by the Imperialist Legion.

If nothing else we'll sell you cheap cigars.

Only if you abdicate in disgrace like the real Juan Carlos.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Amnistar posted:

I'm pretty sure if I'm uniting Spain and Aragon I'm a Habsburg not a Carlos.

First, the Hapsburgs didn't unite spain. The Trastámaras did.

Second, I'm pretty sure the real Spain wouldn't say things like:

Amnistar posted:

Orthodoxy is acceptable....as is Protestantism. I mean, they're not the BEST, but you're close enough that God might be fooled.

:colbert: You're on thin ice, kid.

##vote: Amnistar

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

pls try to be more accurate with your representation of history

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

mr.capps posted:

sighhhhhh

mr.capps posted:

pissssssssssssss

you seem like a pretty cool guy. can you give me any pointers on how to be a mafia superstar?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I'm getting weird ~~vibes~~ from the Crazyeyes and 50 Pounds of Bread side of this argument. Although I agree that capps is asking for reads too early, his request is minor and does not necessitate their overly defensive response. This fact is especially evident given that capps was sated by a non-answer like:

Crazyeyes posted:

Ernie is the most scummy because all he has done is pop in, say hi, and then left. This will change when he returns to the doc later.
tells me that the back and forth was unncessary.

Our team thread has had very little activity but if forced to make a call, I would say Juanito is the scummiest player.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ixtlilton posted:

I'm pretty sure he said scummiest on your team, not in your doc.

That's an interesting interpretation. Tell me exactly how you would answer both versions of that question.

I'm curious.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ixtlilton posted:

This seems like a question set up to call me scum no matter how I answer, but whatever. I told him literally what capps said, they are different things because Pander was implying you capps had said only doc stuff was usable when he didn't. Also, on my team I have 3 people who haven't posted in the thread and one who hasn't posted in the doc unless I'm forgetting someone, so probably one of the guys who's posted in there but not here for the total one and the guy who hasn't posted for the just doc one.

I don't understand what you are saying here. Could you please try to be clearer?

My grievance with your earlier post is that it is that I don't know what you could think capps is referring to unless you are part of some other team. Nothing about your response makes sense unless it is a scum slip.

##vote: Ixt

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ixtlilton posted:

What the gently caress? How? Capps literally said something that was different from what Pander said he said and we literally have a doc for our empires and how does that make me part of some other team? I explained that difference in my post. At least I was right about your motivation for asking the question, because holy poo poo it was obvious.

take a breath

use ur words

its going to be okay.

Why are you freaking out?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ixtlilton posted:

I'm not, why are you intentionally being dense?

Someone in my CoalitionDoc just pointed out that when you said:

Ixtlilton posted:

I'm pretty sure he said scummiest on your team, not in your doc.

"Team" you meant all of the players in the game. I was confused because I had never seen the playerbase referred to in such a way and had no idea what you were referring to, except some other faction that you were a part of.

I'm satisfied for the time being with your response now that I understand what you intended to say.

##Unvote

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Amnistar posted:

Our team cannot win if town has a perfect game.

Uhhhh...

ummm...

what.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

No, seriously, if you are going to drop that bomb you might as well explain yourself.

Are your goals compatible with the town in any way?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Amnistar posted:

5 scum...Lynch a scum each day..?

##Vote: Amnistar

How do you know there are 5 scum?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Amnistar posted:

You should read. It was knowledge I thought existed but doesnt. In fact of this game is anything like the last one there are more than 5

I made the post before I saw your response, but your comments do not address why you thought their were 5 scum players in a satisfactory way.

Your other information about the win condition seems to contradict the basic rules of the game. It's anti-town.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Amnistar posted:

Yes, they just take more time than 5 days would allow.

Any Imperials want to comment on this statement here?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Your Personal Muse posted:

Remember when I said there wouldn't be a question of the game?

I lied.

~~~Question of the Game~~~

If your coalition was on fire and you could only save one person in your empire, who would you choose and why?

Please refrain from looking at my answer until you have answered it yourself.

I would save JakeP due to him entertaining me in mafia games

VivaNova probably. She seems pretty cool.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Rarity posted:

Wait so are we not voting to protect anyone now?

No, we are not voting to protect anyone anymore.

JakeP posted:

##protect yuming
##unvote
##vote amnistar

Why?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Lampsacus posted:

I don't think it is a weird scenario at all. Amnistar might have a wincon which amounts to "Kill all two complete other empires". In that case, perfect play by town might end the game earlier. And I never said it couldn't be exactly as Amnistar said, don't twist my words. Finally, I never said it NEEDED to exist. I said it was POSSIBLE. Because we were (and are) still working within the realms of not really knowing what Amnistar's conditions are.

I mean, for all we know it was a dumb mistake that got hyped up by some town and a scum or two jumped on. But I stand by my assumption that there is a chance, if Amnistar did 'slip up', that he slipped up by revealing information related to his role in the game without being scum. I find it iffy that a couple players have decided to jump on that - maybe I was too ambiguous but I don't think so.

Anyway, on to other matters. I agree that day should be scum hunting season. The awkward bias of empires means empire-mates are probably going to have to see damming evidence before they vote out one of their own. If one of my guys and one of your guys is at the chopping block and it is impossibly 50/50... I'm going to veer towards voting your guy and you mine. Oh well, I'm sure it'll play itself out.

What I get from this post is that you are more concerned with defending yourself than actually scumhunting. You spend two paragraphs explaining your actions, justifying your past posts, and doing nothing to clarify an already confusing situation. You then tell everyone what they already know: That we are unlikely to vote for our own partners. Stop talking mechanics, start talking content.

This post and your earlier awkwardness make me uneasy. ##Vote: Lampsascus

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Lampsacus posted:

Fair enough on the content talk. I'm just feeling everything out. Although I'd be interested to know why my post did nothing to do clarify.

Pander's initial post was a criticism that your post was unnecessary and unhelpful. Your response does nothing to clarify Amnistar's situation, it only seeks to defend yourself. Analysis takes a backseat to self-justification.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Rarity posted:

Can someone who's played with him before say if QuoProQuid is always this aggressive straight out of the gates?

I am never not aggressive.

FEED ME A STRAY CAT.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

tearshed posted:

Lamp is town as gently caress.

You would please elaborate?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Has Lamp played any Mafia games before the current one? If so, how many and what was his play style?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Tom Tucker posted:

So who wants a Nobel Prize?

What kind of Nobel Prize?

Is it a Novel Peace Prize? Economic Sciences Prize? Physiology?

These are hard-hitting questions I am asking right now.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Hal Incandenza posted:

No I don't think so.

Ugh.

Lampsacus posted:

I played a GBS game a couple years back. I'll try dig it out.

Uggggghhhhhhhh.

##Unvote

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Crazyeyes posted:

Why does him being new cause the unvote?

It's enough context to make me reevaluate my vote and consider other options. I don't like his posts, but they make sense as an awkward new player. He needs to post more so I can make a more accurate read.

Asiina posted:

For town, I think YPM. I don't disagree with a single thing he has said.

I also think that most "scumslips" are usually nothing more than a town saying something in an awkward way and it derails discussion and often causes mislynches. While I'm wary of the Legion's wincon being detrimental to other people, I don't think that Amni himself is scum for implying it. Probably not a very smart idea on his part though.

I'm unsure about Capps' and his content game. Encouraging people to keep looking inward and not discount their own empire-buddies out of hand is a fine idea, but to do so in such an aggressive and insistent way just seems to be an attempt to create mistrust within empires and ruin our working together. Whether he did this because he's scum wanting to sow chaos or because he wants his empire to work together while we all turn against our own is what I can't decide. Either way I don't believe it was as straight forward as he made it seem. I'm definitely suspicious of him.

However, my number one suspect right now is actually Meinberg. He's a lot more reserved than I've seen him before, but more than that the posts he has made don't feel genuine to me.

He's made two votes that seem flippant and arbitrary.

While this explanation, in an attempt to say that someone else's reasoning feels forced, feels really forced to me.

##vote Meinberg

Why do you spend three paragraphs telling me about everyone else, then write only two sentences about who you are actually voting for? Is your case that unsubstantial? Are you seriously relying on "he's a lot more reserved" as the crux of your argument?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I also liked the part where you accused capps of malice for asking for reads. It really helps set-up his lynch later on, while simultaneously cushioning you from any potential blowback.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Asiina posted:

Did you even read what I wrote? I said that asking for reads was fine, but the way he did it was suspicious. I didn't vote for him because I believed more strongly that someone else was scummy.

Once again, it seems you only skimmed my post instead of actually reading it. I was giving an overview of what I thought of some people in the game. I mention 4 people in my post and talk about each briefly.

My case against Meinberg is 3 parts

1) He's behaving much more reserved than he usually does
2) Both of his votes seem flippant. I'll give that the crazyeyes one was a joke vote, although I'm not sure why he said he was comfortable with it for now then if it was a joke.
3) When he does give his reasoning it's worded awkwardly and feels forced. It doesn't read as genuine.

You are mischaracterizing his actions. Capps only pushes the issue when Crazyeyes makes it an issue by refusing to even participate. With responses like:

Crazyeyes posted:

Setting up a chain lynch already? Vote Capps for scumlord of the year.

Crazyeyes posted:

At this time I legitimately believe no one in the imperial legion is scum. Sorry if you think there absolutely has to be scum on every team or something.

Crazyeye's behavior is much more aggressive. He initiates the conflict.

And that case against Meinberg is really flimsy, especially with you conceding that part of it is based on a jokepost. ##vote: Asiini

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ixtlilton posted:

It's funny because someone who's not in his empire is the scummiest person in his empire. I got it right away.

what is this

Ixtlilton posted:

Wait, I know a way to solve this dating back to the 4th millenia BCE, where the oral tradition was strong and the legends could determine the guilt of any man or woman: Viva, how would you play this game differently if you were scum?

what are you doing

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Hal Incandenza posted:

That's what I am seeing too. He's being overly aggressive even by his standards and his cases don't feel like they are developed from a town mind looking for scum, they read more like "let me write some harassing stuff about someone and maybe I can get them to slip up trying to counter my bluster" which I don't find very genuine at all.

The best example of this behavior, in my opinion is his post here:

Pander posted:

So it's your second game, but you're eager to dig into meta?
So you're trying to correct him about something he didn't do.

Which is literally criticizing new players for being new players and not understanding how to play Mafia.

There is also this post:

Pander posted:

I kinda assumed there'd be a ratio of 1 scum per empire, randomly assigned amongst the empires. The scum have a huge advantage of coordination and pre-existing anti-town activity (town attacking other town at night), they don't need that many numberswise.

I don't think I'd say I thought for sure there were 5, but I don't find it unrealistic to assume without being scum.

The way Amni butted in bugs me, not the # of scum. Shoulda just let Fiddy answer his own deal there.

I do agree that the Legion is more likely to meet its win-con if the game goes longer rather than shorter. Won't go into it any more than that.

Which strikes me as really weird in hindsight. It is really just addressing the Amnistar discussion without actually committing to any specific viewpoint. It is concerned mainly with mechanics over content. It is posting for the sake if posting.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Hey everyone, tell me your opinion of these jerks:
  • Meinberg
  • Pander
  • Asiini
  • Crazyeyes
  • Pander
  • Sandwolf
In my opinion:

Meinberg: The case against him is bad, but hasn't really done anything great either. Needs to stop making jokes and post thing I care about! Not confident about his alignment.

Asiini: Propagator of the lovely Meinberg case and responsible for fencing her arguments, especially with regards to capps. Further dislike her attempts to discredit scumslips. She gives me bad ~~vibes~~ and would probably be my top scum candidate right now.

Crazyeyes: Suspicious character. Made a lot of noise early in the thread and his vote against Meinberg (1) is waaay to conveniently timed with the other votes against Meinberg. Weirdly defensive without much in the way of content. Probably my back-up choice for the lynch.

Pander: There is something off about his posting, which leads me to think he is scum. I really dislike his post to Rarity as well as his discussion about Amnistar. The latter doesn't add any new information to the game and is more of a general comment on mechanics. It lets him look like he is contributing without actually doing much.

That said, I'm not completely confident on my read. Besides those two posts, there is nothing egregious about him and I don't have any previous experience with his posting style. Because my qualms only came up in hindsight, I am afraid that my reads might be the product of me looking for scumtells on him rather than actually scummy behavior.

Sandwolf: Overall good poster and I agree with a lot of his points. His vote against bowmore and consistent failure to explain it is rubbing me the wrong way though. Slightly leaning town.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

yuming posted:

50's flippant comment read more suspect to me. Where Amni sounded more sincere!

I don't have strong reads now who is a scum hmmm who is a scum.

That's okay, let's talk about your weak reads.

What other behavior do you find suspicious?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Crazyeyes posted:

But that's not true... my vote on him is significantly different than other votes on him.

Yes and I find it weird that you would not even comment on the existence of the other case nor the implications of your vote from a larger thread perspective. It looks bandwagony, especially when I go through your post history and see it is the only case/ read you have made the entire game.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Grandicap posted:

Every time I sign up for a big game, I remember why I hate signing up for big games. I can't keep track of this many people at once. I'll be playing the Like part of this mafia-like until the game gets smaller I guess.

Uuuuuugggggghhhhh...

Please just replace out if you are going to be like this. No one wants to carry you around while we wait for the game to become small enough.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Asiina posted:

Please at least try to spell my name right.

You've consistently misrepresented my argument. First dismissing it as because he was acting more reserved than he usually does, then saying that it was based around a joke post.

I made 3 points. One of those points was about the two votes Meinberg has made. One of those two votes was a jokepost, but he hedged it in a really awkward way that made it seem that he was only half-joking. So part of one of my three points was based around a joke vote, and I was willing to give up part of it. That doesn't change anything else about what I said.

And I have no idea what you mean when you saying fencing my arguments. I literally just quoted 3 things capps said which showed he was being really aggressive.

If you disagree with my assessment then fine, but you're not even looking at the actual meat of the argument. I'm honestly wondering if I am being unclear or you are willfully trying obfuscate my points.

Sorry about the name thing. I am always really bad about spelling user names correctly. Please do not take it as a personal insult.

My two main issues are your case against Meinberg and your framing of capps. While it is true that he did become aggressive, your initial post on the matter sounded like a set-up for a later vote. I don't get the awkward feeling from Meinberg's posts that you do and don't know how that alone makes him scum when there are plenty of awkward people playing.

After rereading, capps was a little more aggressive than I remember. However, I still dislike your initial framing of the argument. You basically state that capps' question is necessarily anti-town, leaving open the possibility that he is scum or concerned solely with his Coalition. This is what I mean by fencing. You do not make a call on his alignment and leave the matter unresolved. Both possibilities allow for capps to be lynched later on and the uncertainty about the possibility you are committing to neutralizes potential backlash if he does die.

I think the issue is that I was being unclear with my reasons for disliking your posts, not the other way around. Compared to several other people, your posts have been fairly clear.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I have literally never played a game with yuming where she wasn't busy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Speak of the devil.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Yeah, yuming's most recent posts are uncharacteristically aggressive and shallow. I was defending her for inactivity but she's being scummy now.

##vote: yuming

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

With the deadline in about an hour and a half, who is here right now?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

yuming posted:

How about you look back at his post history and see if there was anything worth casing until this point.

Oh wait, he never made another attempt at scum hunting. But then he drops an easy vote close to the deadline.

That is legit scummy.

I am so annoyed with this game. Every post I make someone votes me for it. Wouldn't you be annoyed too?

You could try posting something more substantial than, "idk about anyone's alignment. Viva and Tom Tucker give me a bad feeling I guess. :sparkles:"

It's just difficult to take you seriously when half your posts are complaints about how people are complaining about your complaint posts! I'm sorry if you are actually mad irl, but it's not really helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Lampsacus posted:

I agree to some of the things people are saying about yuming and I'm an advocate of gut feeling votes (gently caress it) but a number of other players have just given gut feeling posts or even less. It is interesting that yuming is getting pulled up for it and the others aren't.

Her logic is extremely inconsistent (1), she's just thrown out an OMGUS vote (2), despite being active for the last few hours she has provided only one read the entire game (3). I hate relying on meta, but yuming's behavior here is inconsistent with her typical :sparkles: demeanor that she has while town. Instead, she is extremely aggressive which lines up with her usual attitude when scum.

I'm pretty comfortable with a yuming lynch right now.

• Locked thread