Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Recruitment Thread
OOC Thread

Characters
Dimitris Condos by Ixtlilton
Augustus Lau by saberwulf
Jacob Barnes by hectorgrey
Melody Brackston by Bardlebee

August 22, 2014. 3:06 PM

(OOC: Play this in the background for proper immersion)

Times Square is one of the busiest places in America, through little beyond its tourist appeal. Most New Yorkers try not to go through it unless they have to, but it ends up being a constant crush of bodies otherwise simply due to the tourist appeal. There's the Broadway theatres around, of course. But there's also Madame Tussaud's wax museum, Ripley's, Dave & Buster's, Five Guys (and various other chain restaurants that are familiar to out-of-town gawkers), a spy museum, a year-round haunted house.....all carefully geared to take as much money as possible from the people who don't live there.

But sometimes, the locals have to be there. A cab driver needs to take one-way streets through the constantly jammed traffic, people need to use the convenient subway stations, someone is meeting you, and so on. Or you just need a spot to rest your feet, and the convenient pedestrian plazas around provide a quick table and folding chair.

And this is where our story begins. Everyone has their own reason. What's yours?

(OOC: Everyone please post their openings here. We need an idea of where you are, where you're going, and your motivation for being there at that time.)

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jacob Barnes

Jacob Barnes is dressed in a pretty nice suit - after all, one doesn't go for a date dressed in greasy overalls. He walks through the streets, avoiding bumping into people and mumbling a quiet apology to those he does bump into, as he heads towards a Thai restaurant one of his friends recommended.

These clothes are probably going to be terrible for running away from things in, but never mind... Also, I'm really not familiar with Times Square, so if someone who knows the place better wants to place me somewhere that makes sense, please feel free...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hectorgrey posted:

These clothes are probably going to be terrible for running away from things in, but never mind... Also, I'm really not familiar with Times Square, so if someone who knows the place better wants to place me somewhere that makes sense, please feel free...

(OOC: Let's say his destination is Pongsri Thai Restaurant at 244 West 48th St. He's recently left the 42nd Street-Times Square subway station on Broadway, the exit between 40th and 41st. So he's going north down Broadway, cutting straight through Times Square).

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
OOC: Works for me.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Melody Brackston

"Ugh! Wasting my time!" Melody curses, only person listening of course was herself. "Last time I deliver to that guy in the middle of Time Square." she angrily mumbles to herself after sitting for two hours to drop off some tomato seeds, which in itself was an extremely small order. In fact her store usually didn't do delivery unless it was for larger orders, but she decided to take the request to get out of a funk of being stuck in the store. Shrugging on what to do next, Melody tries to hail a cab "Hey!" she waves her arm out at one of the various cabbies so she can go home. Its been a long day.

I figure our cabbie can pick me up? :)

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
(OOC: Ixlilton pointed out to me last night that I had forgotten to mark English as Lau's native language, giving me an extra six points to work with. I shuffled some stuff around and made an updated sheet (here and here) but if it's too late to modify I understand.)

Augustus Lau

Augustus is sat at he feet of the Cohan statue, sporting Uniqlo's latest summer collection as he browses his phone and works his way through a burger from the Times Square McDonalds. The heat's making him start to regret wearing the jacket— Leather and high 90s don't mix. Lau's eventually on his way back home to his apartment in Sunset Park, but at the moment he's messaging a friend in Russia. The guy goes the handle of Strelok, and pirates software for sale in everyone's favorite motherland. Even if he doesn't know too much about him, Lau likes Strelok— Only guy to offer free AK-47 lessons if Augustus was ever in Russia.

Augustus notices Melody speaking to herself a few feet away and snickers as he types a reply to Strelok.

Lau's phone posted:

Me: Think some dude flipped on a day deal

Strelok: Raging junkie?

Me: Sounds more like raging dealer. Some hippie girl with a bag

Strelok: Might be a rev. Greenpeace or something

Me: Don't see any oil tanks around to occupy

Strelok: Laughing now but I bet she's got heat

Me: I'll keep an eye out. I've got my pack if poo poo goes down

He leans back and takes another bite of his burger, chewing slowly as he watches the crowd around him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

(OOC: Ixlilton pointed out to me last night that I had forgotten to mark English as Lau's native language, giving me an extra six points to work with. I shuffled some stuff around and made an updated sheet (here and here) but if it's too late to modify I understand.)

(OOC: You're all good, bro. Stuff like that is basically a clerical error.)

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Dimitris Condos

Dimitris, or Dimitri as he said to his fares, glances at his fuel gauge at a red light on Broadway after dropping off a tourist couple near Time Square. "1/2 tank, and still 2 more hours. At least it's Friday" he thinks to himself as it turns green. Maybe he'd go out to a bar with some of the other cabbies tonight. He thinks about the last time he did a few weeks ago, nice fellows, a very diverse bunch from all over, and many of them were still with the company from when he started there.

A young woman flags him down a couple of blocks later, and he stops at the side of the road to let her in. Leaning his head back over his shoulder, he smiles and says "where to today?".

(OOC: Also, you calculate dodge by 3+basic speed, rounding off fractions.)

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 4, 2014

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Melody Brackston

"Home" Melody said, half listening to the cabby with the accent. "Off the corner of 21st and 34th Avenue in Astoria. Thanks" shes says with a return smile to polite.

Melody looks out the window at all the people. She thinks of how long this is going to take "Awfully busy in Time Square all the time. Can't get anywhere..." Melody says to start some idle chatter. Silence with this cabby would just be awkward for her. She takes the packets of seeds, three packets of tomato's from her pocket and once again shakes her head at her misfortune. Melody checks her black purse to make sure she still had her money, pick pockets run rampant at times in this city.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A crowd is forming on the north end of Times Square, in front of the bleachers that top the TKTS Booth that sells discounted space-filling seats for Broadway shows. Past the Woody, Sesame Street, and Statue of Liberty costumed characters scamming tourists out of their cash for photos, what must be a hundred people are all crowding around something.

Lau is the closest to the crowd, being near the George M. Cohan statue in front of the crowd. However, he can't see anything through the wall of bodies.

Barnes is still heading north on Broadway, just passing 43rd street. The crowd, as usual, is downright unbearable. Jaywalking is a way of life in NYC, and the crowds in Times Square are so thick that even cars with a legal right to turn often find themselves stuck by crowds of people causing endless traffic jams.

Dimitris and Melody's cab is in that exact position, on Broadway and 46th. The endless flow of humanity illegally crossing the street (almost all tourists who got the idea to jaywalk from everyone else around them) have left the traffic at a standstill. The cab is trying to go south down Broadway, but the vehicles just aren't moving. It's nothing but a cacophony of horns and incomprehensible conversations.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Augustus Lau

Lau gets a strange feeling when he looks at the crowd. He shoots Strelok a quick message.

Lau's phone posted:

Me: Big crowd just came up at the end of the street

Strelok: Told you girl's rev

Me: Not related to her. Think someone got hit by a cab or something

Strelok: Prob heart attack. Your country eats like poo poo

Me: Lol, wouldn't doubt it. Yo, gonna check it maybe snap some dirt

Strelok: Expecting suits?

Me: Weird poo poo everywhere. Msg you if I get something.

Strelok: пока, citizen.

Augustus finishes his lunch and crosses the square to catch a glimpse of what's got everyone so riled up. He gets a call from Vivian on his way over.

"Yo, what's up dude? Yeah. Yeah. I was just eating lunch, checking something out something in Times right now. Yo, I heard you got on Charlie's case yesterday. What? Seriously? poo poo, start from the beginning on that. I gotta know what went down."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jacob Barnes

Jacob continues to walk along the pavement - and along the road where necessary - as he makes a beeline to his date. Thank God he gave himself plenty of time when he set off. He looks at the gathering crowd, but decides that getting to his date on time is more important than whatever the hell they're staring at.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

(OOC: Appropriate background noise)

As usual, you can hear the ambulance coming in New York City long before it ever shoves its way through the traffic to reach the scene. Before Jacob can cross 45th street, a pair of police officers (ever present in Times Square, thanks to it being a potentially juicy target for terrorism) begin shouting and pushing back the crowd trying to cross. An ambulance slowly rumbles down the narrow street, angrily honking and rapidly slapping the siren in an almost comical cacophony to try and force vehicles just a few more inches to the side.

Lau gently makes his way through the crowd in front of the bleachers, peering through. An older man, tubby, grey-haired, and red-faced, is lying on the hot concrete with his eyes glazing over. He's sweating profusely (though it's impossible to tell if it's from illness or the August heat), and his equally sixty-something wife and a younger man (probably his son) are crouching over him. The son is fanning the man's face in a vain attempt to cool him off. Heatstroke?

Dimitris's cab was already going nowhere fast, but the Crown Victoria is at a seemingly endless standstill now. With the ambulance loudly and slowly screeching down 45th to try and turn toward the incident site, the infamously fast-paced city has just stopped.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jacob Barnes

Jacob stands back, trying to avoid being trampled, and trying to find a safe place to cross the street. He hopes whoever the ambulance is for is OK, but he knows that regardless, there's nothing he can do about it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hectorgrey posted:

Jacob Barnes

Jacob stands back, trying to avoid being trampled, and trying to find a safe place to cross the street. He hopes whoever the ambulance is for is OK, but he knows that regardless, there's nothing he can do about it.

It looks like with the ambulance turning onto the avenue to head north to the incident, everyone is just making a 90 degree turn to the left and crossing Broadway to the opposite side of Times Square. The signal just changed, so if Barnes hurries and joins the crowd he could make it before the "DO NOT CROSS" signal comes up on the other side.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jacob Barnes

Jacob quickly heads to join the crowd, and cross at the next signal.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Augustus Lau

Lau watches the scene closely as the crowd murmurs. Something feels off. This is the city where Kitty Genovese and Hugo Yax happened— New Yorkers don't give a poo poo. Then again, this is Times Square. The place is brimming with tourists who haven't tuned the world out yet.

"At least it's not loving China... Huh? Sorry, just looking at something. Guy fell down in Times, think its heatstroke or something. The crowd here is huge; it's seriously weird. No way, he really said that? Who the hell does that douche think he is, Nietzsche?"

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Dimitris

"Yes, very busy time of day" Dimitris responds, "but at least it's air conditioned in here!" He continues making small talk for a few minutes, until the traffic slows to a stop. The occasional click from the meter makes him feel impatient, and as the sirens blare and move towards the sick man, he glances back at his passenger and says "It doesn't look like we'll be moving any time soon. I tell you what, you seem like a nice girl, this far is on me, if you walk a few blocks in that direction" he points towards a less normally busy street that wouldn't be blocked off from the ambulance "you should be able to find another cab that can get you home. Okay?"

He prepares himself to sit here in traffic for the next fifteen minutes for this to clear up, but at least it's Friday. Hopefully whoever it is is alright at least he thinks to himself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

(OOC: I'm going to be doing something different with character-specific information here. Unless the information must vitally be kept specific to an individual through PMs, I'm going to simply spoiler it out and leave the name of the character it's meant for unspoiled. Spectators to the game and the individual whose name is there can read it, but all other characters cannot. I'm putting some faith in you guys to play fair and not read notes for another person, just like I would expect you to ignore OOC info that you overhear during a live game. Even if you accidentally happen to open a spoiler, resist the urge to act on it. If I find out that someone cheated and intentionally read another character's note, or if you metagame with info that you saw even just from accidentally sweeping your mouse pointer over it, your character will be killed on the spot. If you do it with a second character, you don't get to play again.)

Finally, the ambulance grinds to a halt on 7th Avenue and two EMTs pile out, jogging over to the ill man with their bags. Before they're halfway there, however, one of them receives a squawk on the radio.

(Passed Perception check with crit success)

Lau overhears the radio message perfectly. "We've got another man down outside the Chevy's on 42nd. Wait, poo poo. There's a report of a third....make that seven. We have seven people in Times Square all down at once, apparent illness. Corner of 48th and 7th, top floor of Dave & Buster's on 42nd, and three teens inside Times Scare on 8th Avenue. poo poo, there's more flooding in. 911 is getting hit hard. Possible epidemic. All units, quarantine any ill citizens away from the crowd. Don masks and get them into isolation ASAP. More units are on their way.

As the message ends, one of the pair of EMTs turns and rushes north down the street. The one near the bleachers quickly pulls a portable mask out of his uniform and dons it as he runs.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 6, 2014

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Melody

"Eh, I appreciate it. But honestly I am not in a hurry and its a hot day... but on the other hand maybe you are right." Melody reaches into her purse and puts five dollars on middle console. "Thanks for your time at least, don't refuse it. It's for being helpful." With that Melody leaves the cab and starts to walk down. She can't help but see the crowd gather, but Melody feels like getting home then rubber-necking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As the EMT reaches the crowd, he stops and runs over to a police officer, whispering in his ear. The cop nods, pauses to say something into his radio, and then begins moving with the EMT.

"I need everyone to back away from this man for his own safety. Everyone please move back."

It takes a few tries, but eventually the crowd starts to disperse. The EMT, mask over his face, gently but firmly takes the man's family members by the arms and leads them away from him, talking quietly to them.

When the area around is cleared for about 20 feet, he rushes back to the man's side and begins to quickly attempt to diagnose his illness. The sick man's breathing is starting to sound labored.

More sirens can be heard in the distance.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Dimitris

"No no, you keep the money" Dimitris protests, but accepts with Melody's insistence with a "Thank you". "Take care!" he says as she exits the vehicle. This must be pretty serious he thinks to himself as more sirens come into hearing range, and he flips through radio stations for something else to listen to.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dimitris flicks through the radio. The first thing he comes across playing music is WCBS FM.

(OOC: Feel free to play this for the ambient sound when posting about his actions in the taxi)

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Dimitris

Dimitris taps alongs with the song on radio for a minute while the cars remain deadlocked in place. He sees some people nearby step out of their vehicles to get a better view of the situation, and radios back to headquarters. "Hello, dispatch, this is Dimitris, I'm stuck at Time Square. Any idea what's the problem?" he asks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dimitris

Dispatch crackles back. "There's a lot of ambulances flooding the streets. I dunno what happened, but I think there's some kind of disease or poisoning epidemic going on. One of our drivers had an ambulance called to him at South Ferry a few minutes ago. Says he's feeling too sick to drive.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jacob Barnes

Assuming I was able to cross at the signal.

Once he's crossed the street, Jacob makes his way towards the restaurant - trying not to shove people out of the way, but certainly in a hurry. This many sirens can't mean anything good, and he wants to make sure that Gillian's OK.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

(OOC: The internet troubles I was having have now extended from a few days to months. Really sorry, but with no internet access even approaching stable I'm gonna have to drop out.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

saberwulf posted:

(OOC: The internet troubles I was having have now extended from a few days to months. Really sorry, but with no internet access even approaching stable I'm gonna have to drop out.)

(OOC: It's a shame. I was really liking how he could have gone. I'll take control of your character for his final moments and give him an end)

As Lau snaps away at the scene, the EMT's attempts at revival grow more and more futile; the man is making no recovery, and is even rapidly decreasing in health.

As Jacob crosses the street, the EMT finally ceases his efforts and instead calls his partner over. The man is visibly no longer moving, not even breathing. While they won't officially declare death until at the hospital, it's likely that the man is expired. They load him onto a stretcher and begin to roll him to the ambulance.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jacob Barnes

Jacob feels a slight pit in his stomach as he sees the poor bastard breath his last. He keeps moving though, and decides against telling Gillian what he just saw. No need to ruin the day for her too...

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
OOC: Just so you all know, I'm going to be without internet for all of next week.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The stretcher begins to roll down the concrete, its wheels clacking loudly as it crosses each crack in the pavement. The man's family is on the verge of hysteria; they may still be holding on to some hope that their loved one is alive, but it's a stretch.

As the stretcher reaches the sidewalk a few yards from the ambulance, the man suddenly begins moving again. The paramedics don't stop the stretcher, keeping their steady and rapid movement toward the back doors. He's making incoherent noises and grunts, and strains at the straps restraining him. He seems confused and upset; his vocalizations don't sound like any kind of language.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 22, 2014

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
OOC: And, I'm back. Sorry about that.

Jacob Barnes

Now that's weird, Jacob thinks to himself as he sees the man start moving. He stops - he might want to tell Gillian about this after all...

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

OOC: I kinda forgot about this game for a bit there and mentally put it on hold until people got back. I will edit in a post here later tonight.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
OOC: I am still here mentally and physically, though I am waiting for a "turning point" where I can make more action then just walking home.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
OOC: Honestly, I think it's probably time to move things along - there's not really much we can post until the poo poo starts flying fanwards...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OOC: I'll move things along if nobody else will be posting responses to the current situation. I just highly suggest in the future that you quickly make a post saying that your character will be waiting for things to happen so we don't end up with this waiting game any more.

As Melody quickly walks down the sidewalk, traffic comes to a honking halt, the sound of ambulance sirens ringing from everywhere. Without warning, a passing black man stumbles and falls, knocking into her. He slams to the ground, clutching at his chest and gasping. Mere yards away, a young woman around her age is barely visible through the tinted glass, collapsing inside the Bank of America. Several people run over to her, blocking her from view.

And that's when screaming starts.

One distant yell in the distance, followed by the distinct, shrill noise of a woman screaming in agony. The screams start building on one another, seemingly coming from every angle and reflecting off the skyscrapers.

It's not immediately apparent what the cause is....until the EMT gets his hand bitten.

"Sir, I need you to calm down!" he was shouting at the incoherent man on the stretcher. He reached over to try and hold him down as his bucking grew wilder and stronger. And then as his hand came too close to the sick man's hand, it got bit. The man sunk his teeth into the EMT's hand with a ferocity not unlike a rabid dog. It was a full force bite as well, drawing blood through the latex glove.

As the second EMT runs over to the paramedic to try and get the crazy guy off him, it suddenly becomes clear that he's not the only problem. Several streets away, behind a crowd of cars and pedestrians, everyone is running in a panic, the kind of panicked sprinting and shoving that you see during natural disaster or a bombing or a mass shooter.

They're running this way.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jacob Barnes

Jacob starts making his way as fast as he can towards the restaurant - shoving people out of the way if he has to - he needs to get to Gillian. Now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only thing Dimitris hears before the impact is a squeal of tires from his right, and a quick flash of the sun glinting off the shiny black Mercedes hood in his vision.

The luxury sedan cutting through traffic slams right into the right door of the taxi, a picture perfect T-bone. The Greek's seatbelt keeps him from suffering any injury from the collision, but stars fill his vision as his head slaps against the window, sending shooting pain through his skull.

26 damage is done to Dimitris's taxi. No damage is done to Dimitris, but he's stunned for 2 seconds from the impact.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Dimitris

Dimitris barely has time to process the information from dispatch before the car hits. Startled, he checks himself for any other injuries hoping he doesn't have a concussion, and says to himself "What a way to end the day!" before undoing his seatbelt and exiting the taxi. More exasperated than angry, he berates the other driver "are you crazy?! How do you do that when traffic's at a standstill? What is wrong with you?" He approaches their drivers' side window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The big black car has taken some damage from the impact, but might still be in drivable condition; the front end is just crunched inward a little.

The driver of the Mercedes is a rather old man in a business suit, probably in his fifties or sixties, with thinning gray hair and wrinkles. He has no immediately visible injuries.....but he's not moving. He's completely still, without even the gentle up-down of breathing. He might be dead.

Without the poppy synth of "West End Girls" bopping along next to Dimitris, he becomes aware of the noise in Times Square. A combination of screams of terror, shouts of command, and occasionally slams of metal-on-metal and shattering glass. It's not unlike the sound of a riot.

And then, far off enough not to hurt your ears but close enough to not be mistaken for anything else, are three rapid pops that echo off the buildings and turn the screaming to a higher volume. Gunshots.

• Locked thread