Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

All about :sparkles:Sailor Moon :sparkles: and maybe this'll make me finally get around to watching Psycho Pass.

Seems like there's always one show that I end up liking completely out of the blue, so who knows what that might be this summer. (For spring it's Chaika)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

As far as I'm concerned the most notable thing about Summer is that it's the last season before ufotable's Fate/stay night airs.

That's roughly about how I feel, but I'll give Kantai Collection a chance. Nothing else much interests me, but I may check out the redone Psycho-Pass episodes as a way to pass the time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
As a fan of the manga, season 2 of the Black Butler anime is literally the worst thing I've ever watched, but that went in an entirely anime original direction and ended pretty conclusively, so who knows where this new show is going. At least Mari Okada isn't involved with this one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is Akame ga Kill anything like Assassins Creed? That could be pretty cool.
Not really, since the assassinations mostly involve battles between magic weapons with arbitrary powers instead of stealth. It's more like Bleach.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 5, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

planetarial posted:

Hey technically Usagi's original voice actor is returning to voice her in the Sailor Moon reboot, that's one person from the original staff :v:

Wait, can Kotono Mitsuishi even sound like Usagi anymore? I mean, she's okay as Rinko in Gundam Build Fighters, the dopey teacher in Daily Lives of High School Boys and the ever awesome Boa Hancock. Ah well, here's hopin' she does a smack-up job.

Though I'm pleased as punch to read that they got Ami Koshimizu to play Makoto and Shizuka Ito to play Minako. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Aldnoah Zero looks like it's going to be all Urobuchi all the way, unlike the bodged-together mess that was Gargantia. He's being backed up by Ei Aoki (the Fate Zero guy) as director and Hiroyuki Sawano on music, so strap yourselves in for the ride, people. :black101:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Urobuchi's Aldnoah Zero and Watanabe doing 9/11: the Anime have me pretty interested, but everything else sounds kinda terrible. Glasslip might be okay, I tend to like PA Works teen melodrama shtick.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
SAO II, Aldnoah.Zero, Zankyo no Terror, and Survival Games Club all seem at least potentially interesting. Nothing I'm really looking forward to, though.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Wait, can Kotono Mitsuishi even sound like Usagi anymore? I mean, she's okay as Rinko in Gundam Build Fighters, the dopey teacher in Daily Lives of High School Boys and the ever awesome Boa Hancock. Ah well, here's hopin' she does a smack-up job.

Though I'm pleased as punch to read that they got Ami Koshimizu to play Makoto and Shizuka Ito to play Minako. :allears:

Dunno, lets find out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

Aldnoah Zero looks like it's going to be all Urobuchi all the way, unlike the bodged-together mess that was Gargantia. He's being backed up by Ei Aoki (the Fate Zero guy) as director and Hiroyuki Sawano on music, so strap yourselves in for the ride, people. :black101:

But he's not listed for Series Composition, just "original creator". Unless you have information otherwise, everything I've read about it sounds like he wrote the general outline but is otherwise uninvolved. I'm fully expecting it to be Gargantia 2.0. I'll probably watch it anyway, but I don't have high hopes.

If you want something new and all-Urobuchi watch Kamen Rider Gaim instead, which has been completely amazing.

Edit: I don't even know where Urobuchi would've had the time to write Aldnoah.Zero in the first place considering he's credited for every episode of Gaim so far other than a single crossover episode (although for about a quarter or so of the episodes he has shared credit with another writer).

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 5, 2014

Flocci
May 29, 2013

Terrible and bland.
Gonna catch Space Dandy and the other Watanabe thing for sure, otherwise 3 episode test it out. In particular I'm hopeful about Glasslip, Monthly-Girl Nozaki, Aldnoah.Zero, and maybe RAIL WARS!

Also mildly excited about DRAMAtical Murder, from an entertaining trainwreck perspective. For those of you not familiar with it, DMmd is the one where the secret/true route is your pet dog AI. Yeah, this anime's really gonna screw the pooch.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

aers posted:

Dunno, lets find out.

I'm pretty sure I lost it for a bit, but I swore it sounded like Chisa Yokoyama as Luna at the beginning. Also, yay! She still has it! :dance:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Devil Tesla posted:

That sounds amazing.

Key word "sounds"

It was one of the least terrible episodes, but it was still lovely enough I wouldn't even recommend checking it out for the absurdity.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
JoJo continues to be the only thing worth a drat, suck it nerds :dealwithit:

I kid, Aldnoah and the Watanabe things are legitimately hype as gently caress and I'll probably check out Tokyo Ghoul, Rail Wars, Will of Silver, and maaaaybe Dramatical Murder.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
My three guaranteed picks (in the sense I'll do my best to try and keep up with them):

Space Dandy was probably my single favorite show at the time of its initial airing, with the huge range of its multiple creators and contributors being something very few series have been able to match, so I'm absolutely looking forward to more of it. Almost every week had something unique to offer and that's obviously going to continue during the second season.

Aldnoah.Zero seems interesting enough as a grim and gritty take on giant robot space war, perhaps with a bit of good old Tomino's darker sensibilities, but I will second jonjonaug in noting that Gen Urobuchi is only listed as the original creator so far. That doesn't mean the series will be bad and I assume he will manage to write at least a couple of episodes, but the person who is listed as the actual main writer or series composition is Katsuhiko Takayama, whose record is relatively mixed yet deserves a lot of credit for writing the excellent Ga-Rei Zero. I'm guessing he could try to apply a similar approach here.

Zankyo no Terror/Terror in Tokyo is a chance to see yet another side of Shinichiro Watanabe in action. From the description I expect a lot of cryptic terminology and convoluted conspiracies dealing with terrorism and other touchy subjects. Perhaps it'll be similra to a darker version of Eden of the East mixed with some Death Note vibes, I suppose? In any event, I'm definitely going to see how this one turns out.

The rest is stuff I won't necessarily watch live but may still check out later, at least if the reactions are positive enough.

wielder fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 5, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Aldnoah is pretty much going to be worth checking out no matter what happens, "dark mecha show" is a formula that I think I've seen get hosed up once in my entire anime-watching career. And if Urobuchi is heavily involved in it, instead of just having his name on it for publicity, we could potentially have another NGE on our hands. :getin:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's not. He's only credited as creator. All his time is probably going towards Kamen Rider Gaim.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Joshlemagne posted:

I quit watching the show after the episode where the gay terrorist with the mutant power of making people gay for him invaded a spa to get a foreign dignitary's son to be gay for him so he'd get his dad to put pressure on the Japanese government to make the gay terrorist's favorite singer popular again. Although I suppose if the whole thing had been that stupid it would have a lot more fans around here.
Don't forget that the episode you're talking about went to air with a ton of unfinished animation that was covered up extremely poorly.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

He's not. He's only credited as creator. All his time is probably going towards Kamen Rider Gaim.

Blehhhhhh. Show will probably still be very good, though, since Ga-Rei Zero was pretty dope.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm going to check out Bakumatsu Rock for that premise alone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Blehhhhhh. Show will probably still be very good, though, since Ga-Rei Zero was pretty dope.

Do bear in mind that Aoki, the director, headed Ga-Rei Zero as well as Urobuchi's Fate/zero. So I guess you could call this the Ga-Rei Zero band getting back together to do a mecha piece scored by Hiroyuki Sawano whilst Gen Urobuchi looks on approvingly, if that's the sort of combo likely to get you hyped.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The only two things I'm looking forward to this season are Space Dandy and Sailor Moon, but I'm really looking forward to them.

Wow, pretty! :swoon:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Don't forget that the episode you're talking about went to air with a ton of unfinished animation that was covered up extremely poorly.

I had actually forgotten that. I honestly hardly remember anything about it. Just didn't have much impact. In fact, when I saw the show in the list in the OP I originally thought it was more of that one hamster anime and kind of ignored it until I saw someone mention it later on and was like "Oh, yeah, that thing."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Definitely:
Sengoku Basara because if there was a Sengoku Basara anime fanclub I wouldn't just be a member I'd probably be a secretary or something. Kind of weird though, I thought for sure it would be a prequel dealing with Basara 4 game stuff. Does this mean that amazing Maya Sakamoto character isn't going to be in it? Because if that's true THERE HAD BETTER BE ANOTHER SENGOKU BASARA ANIME AFTER THIS ONE :mad:

The Trouble with Teen Terrorists in Tokyo because Watanabe has never done wrong by me so far and this premise might be kinda neato.

Space Dandy because it's about a dandy guy in space

Maybe?
Persona 4 G because maybe the animation will be less garbage this time. Even though I hate the new character they're adding. Akame Ga Kill, because maybe the violence will be stylish. Sailor Moon Crystal because it's kind of a big deal and I have enjoyed parts of old Sailor Moon even if I wouldn't say I'm a fan of it in general. Plus Ami Koshimizu as Sailor Jupiter makes me curious even if I stop watching early on I'll probably check back in when that happens. Aldowhatever Zero because hey scifi space robot fighitng can be cool sometimes.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
There isn't much that looks interesting. I like P.A. Works, so I'll check out Glasslip, and I liked the first season of Yama no Susume, so I'll check that out as well. Terror in Tokyo has some killer talent behind it, so I'll check it out, but I'm not really interested in anything else. Instead, I'll continue playing through Persona 4, and watch Battlestar Galactica.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Did Space Dandy really recover from its weak rear end initial set of episodes?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Here's to hoping the actual writers are more competent than the guys that did Gargantia.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Did Space Dandy really recover from its weak rear end initial set of episodes?

I can understand not liking literally the first half of the first episode, but everything since then has been super baller. This is the kind of show that if you don't like one episode you might like the next because it's going to be completely different, so maybe keep watching? Also, maybe skip to the last one before the break because it's amazing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ViggyNash posted:

Here's to hoping the actual writers are more competent than the guys that did Gargantia.

To be fair, Gargantia reeked of WBC instead of seeming like the idea of a show conceived by one dude properly, even if it had Sugita playing a Gundam miniature and WHY THE gently caress HASN'T SUGITA PLAYED A GUNDAM PILOT ALREADY?

(sorry)

Additionally, can someone sell me Kamen Rider Gaim? I'm hopelessly jaded when it comes to the subject of tokusatsu shows. Like, does Uroboy have something similar to his shtick regarding firearms being a simple but effective device that gets results (although rarely with long-lasting positive consequences, see both Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass)? I'm trying really hard to find an “in” and every single time my head screams THE HELL YOU ARE.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, in Kamen Rider Gaim, the only character who primarily uses a gun didn't actually get much action with it for about the first half of the series.

And is also a huge piece of poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

Additionally, can someone sell me Kamen Rider Gaim? I'm hopelessly jaded when it comes to the subject of tokusatsu shows. Like, does Uroboy have something similar to his shtick regarding firearms being a simple but effective device that gets results (although rarely with long-lasting positive consequences, see both Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass)? I'm trying really hard to find an “in” and every single time my head screams THE HELL YOU ARE.

It's good, watch it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

It's good, watch it.

OH MY GOD. Is that a Fruit-punch Samurai themed Power Ranger?

gently caress it. I'm in.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal - I've only been waiting two years for this day!

Sword Art Online II - I'll admit it. SAO is one of my guilty pleasures.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - I've heard good things about the manga.

Ao Haru Ride - Shoujo romance is always welcome.

Yama no Susume 2 - More moe mountain climbing, now with 15 minute episodes!

Zankyo no Terror - I'm fully aboard this hype train.

Free! Eternal Summer - Sexy swimming anime.

Hana Yamata - My "healing" series for the season.

Barakamon - Could this be a more realistic take on the slice-of-life genre?

Hanamonogatari - Monogatari = Watch.

RAIL WARS! - Because that trailer was... I don't know.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been looking forward to Barakamon ever since I heard it was getting an anime. I love the manga so I'll definitely be watching this one. I've enjoyed what I read so far of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, picked it up when it was linked in the convince someone to read a manga thread, so I'll be giving that one a shot as well. I'm all about more Free! because I like watching boys doing stuff and will probably give Dramatical Murder at least a three episode test for the same reason :j: I read a summary of the VN once upon a time and the art was pretty at least. I'll also watch Ao Haru Ride because that's another one I've been reading and like well enough despite how it does dumb stuff to generate drama.

I may look at Aldnoah.Zero and Terror in Tokyo depending on what kind of reaction they end up getting, and eventually I'll watch the rest of Space Dandy but I still have half of the first season I'm not done with so it's very doubtful I'll watch it as it airs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Everybody is fruit and a different armored warrior. Some people are nuts, which are botanically fruit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

My only advice would be to give it a few episodes. While I enjoyed it from the start it does take a while for the characters to settle in, especially Kouta, the main character, who starts off kind of clueless (something which seems fairly unusual for Rider shows).

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Not a huge season of anime for me.
I'm definitely looking forward to Sailor Moon Crystal most of all.
Also going to check out Free! Eternal Summer for my next fix of pretty boy swimming club fun. I had a ton of fun with the first season, so I'll keep checking this out.

Of course, I gotta check out Space Dandy pt. 2.
And I'm willing to give a couple episodes of Zankyo no Terror to see if it's my thing, it sounds interesting at least.

I'm interested in both Barakamon and La Bonne Vie so they'll be getting atleast a 3 episode tester.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'll be watching Space Dandy for sure. I found the first few episodes pretty hard to get through, but it gets weirder and better as it runs. Zankyo no Terror sounds like it's at least worth a shot.

I'm definitely watching Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun for the best character in modern manga. I hadn't even realized it was getting an anime!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This can't be a real anime season, there's no anime with "My Sister" in the title.

Maybe Japan needed a cooldown period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Yama no Susume: It's great that it's getting 15 minute episodes now, I felt the first season was one of those shows that didn't really have enough time per episode.

Sabagebu!: Can't be any worse than C3-Bu, and I like stuff the director has done previously.

Sailor Moon: Never seen any Sailor Moon stuff before so why not?

Kantai Collection: Going to be watching this no matter how terrible it is since I'm a sucker for mecha musume stuff.

Akame ga Kill! and Aldnoah.Zero: I'll probably try these if the reception is positive.

Glasslip: I was mildly interested in this, until I saw the preview and glassblowing only showed up once in it.

• Locked thread