Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Terra Formars sounds incredibly stupid and I sort of want to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From what I remember, wasn't Terra Formers some hilariously racist manga where the evil bugmen were an analog for black people or something? Or was that a different manga?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Don't see anything from Shaft aside from the Nisekoi OVA. :(

Still a lot of interesting stuff in there.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

please hold off on all fall season discussion until we have the fall season thread

thank you in advanced

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From what I remember, wasn't Terra Formers some hilariously racist manga where the evil bugmen were an analog for black people or something? Or was that a different manga?

they aren't really stand-ins for black guys in any sense other than they look like super racist black guy drawings, like a wyatt mann levels

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Squidster posted:

Apart from Nozaki and Space Dandy, I've basically given up on this season

Oh don't be so dramatic, everyone says this, every single season, and every single time we're surprised when there are more decent, good and great shows than we expected.

Am I the only one that thinks that all anime sounds like trite garbage when you reduce them down to their basic premise? So of course any season's gonna look dire when that's all you're considering. You gotta give shows some wiggle room, even if only a little bit.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

Don't see anything from Shaft aside from the Nisekoi OVA. :(

Maybe they're actually going to work on Kizumonogatari.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squidster posted:

This is a great idea that you should definitely do. I'd say it's been nice knowing you, but uh.

Argevollen is on the edge of being worthy of having a thread. The overarcs are good, the low-key approach is interesting, but the moment-to-moment character stuff is awful.

Apart from Nozaki and Space Dandy, I've basically given up on this season - I'm really looking forward to Autumn season, which looks to have some dynamite stuff. Fate Stay Night, Parasyte, Chaika s2 all look like solid bets. I've heard some good thing about the World Trigger manga, and even the Rage of Bahamut card-game tie-in look surprisingly good.

Watch Barakamon you fucker.

XboxPants posted:

Oh don't be so dramatic, everyone says this, every single season, and every single time we're surprised when there are more decent, good and great shows than we expected.

Am I the only one that thinks that all anime sounds like trite garbage when you reduce them down to their basic premise? So of course any season's gonna look dire when that's all you're considering. You gotta give shows some wiggle room, even if only a little bit.

This is very true. I thought I'd hate Spring 2014 but it had Is the Order a Rabbit which was great.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, very important to look deeper than just the blurb, especially because the blurbs they use on season charts are terrible. Go back to previous seasons and check out the descriptions for shows you enjoyed and marvel at how terrible they make it sound!

The best thing to do is to look at the staff names. Director and the head writer (usually filed under series composition) are good ways to start. Not always perfect since nobody bats a thousand, but it's always a nice starting point.

Srice fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 3, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

Dude, they're talking about this season. They're actually excited about fall.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yep, fall officially has way too many shows I'm interested in. It looks to be something like 60% things I follow the manga of that the scanlators take ages on.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I have no idea why you would think this is true.

because I have played it and formed opinions beyond judging embarrassing character design? it's the same with akhiba's trip. you're a serial "i see a titty, so it can't be good" poster, so I have no idea why you think you can be an authority on content you will not ever play nor give an analysis of beyond what offends you.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

I always wondered what Mr. Popo's hair looked like under that turban.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
There's a lot of Fall shows I'm planning on checking out but the only one I'm really looking forward to at the moment is Chaika. There's enough sequels and remakes and adaptions of stuff I've read that I'm pretty sure I won't have trouble cobbling together a watch list, though.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Three different shows that glorify thieves?? What kind of message is that going to send children? :ohdear:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is the second season of Psycho-Pass going to stick with hour-long episodes or go back to the regular length the original airing used?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Watch Barakamon you fucker.
Barakamon is legit pretty good, but it doesn't really have a hook to keep me coming back every week. I will probably marathon it when it's finished!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i just want the new season of Durarara. we will get to meet izaya's sisters and vorona and ruri and of course more celty :kimchi:

----------------

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Command Ant posted:

Three different shows that glorify thieves?? What kind of message is that going to send children? :ohdear:

As long as they don't ride double on their bikes it'll be fine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Cross ange seems like a hot mess that combines way too many genres, but if the dominant aspect turns out to be the 'hunting dragons with mecha' I am all over that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hmm pretty much only care about Build Fighters 2 and Chaika 2. Might watch the other gundam if it's any good.

vvvv And if it isn't then just watch Build Fighters 1 again.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 3, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Watch Build Fighters Try, guys.

Unless it ends up sucking, IDK

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Cross ange seems like a hot mess that combines way too many genres, but if the dominant aspect turns out to be the 'hunting dragons with mecha' I am all over that.

lol i've got a dragon that those big titted ladies wearing their bikini flight suits with cat tails can hunt

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i really hope the monster design in this show about the hot sexy lady mecha pilots is good.

----------------

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
All that looks good to me this season are OVAs (Kill la Kill, Yuru Yuri, Ika Musume, Sabagebu, Watamote)

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i think the reason the anime ladies with the big tits wear maid outfits when not wearing their bikini flight suits is actually a deep socio-political message about the dangers of capitalism and how it relates with regards to the over materialistic nature of modern day society

----------------

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

I'm gonna watch the poo poo outta that show because it has pretty much all of my favorite seiyuu, and they will fight dragons with robots.

DrPaper posted:

because I have played it and formed opinions beyond judging embarrassing character design? it's the same with akhiba's trip. you're a serial "i see a titty, so it can't be good" poster, so I have no idea why you think you can be an authority on content you will not ever play nor give an analysis of beyond what offends you.

"If you just pretend that media exists in a vacuum and divorce it from any cultural or emotional context, it wouldn't be so offensive you white-knighting SJW gently caress"

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

"If you just pretend that media exists in a vacuum and divorce it from any cultural or emotional context, it wouldn't be so offensive you white-knighting SJW gently caress"

that's putting alot of words in my mouth that were never really said or implied. even putting ad hominems on at the end when the original post was in no way meant to be an attack on the posters character

i said as a game its gameplay is good, which as they will never play it because of their valid opinion on it's cosmetic features, means they're not really an authority to judge whether or not it is a bad game :)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

That game is an amazing case study in how games function as a medium. I will never pay money for it though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i think the reason the anime ladies with the big tits wear maid outfits when not wearing their bikini flight suits is actually a deep socio-political message about the dangers of capitalism and how it relates with regards to the over materialistic nature of modern day society

This but unironically.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The dominant aspest is boobs.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hi hello I've posted the Fall Season thread, here it is!!!

Let us embark on a shared journey of grumpy anime grandpa together

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Akame Ga Kill Episode 9: Holy poo poo THE SHIPS!!

:pusheen: :pusheen:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DrPaper posted:

No, I meant why you would think that people who hate tittyninjas would be mad that the gameplay is good?

I've played it too. And it does have good gameplay. I also hate that it's a huge tittyninja wankfest. But like, if a person hates tittyninjas so much that they wouldn't even give the game the game a shot why would they care if the game is good or not?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Akame Ga Kill Episode 9: Holy poo poo THE SHIPS!!

You know, I'd love to point how loving stupid that pairing is, for any number of reasons, but I won't bother. And luckily, the author seems to agree.

Instead I'll just point out that there's already and Akame ga Kill! thread, and you should probably take these posts there.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Potsticker posted:

No, I meant why you would think that people who hate tittyninjas would be mad that the gameplay is good?

I've played it too. And it does have good gameplay. I also hate that it's a huge tittyninja wankfest.

my bad I misunderstood what you were saying

who is your favorite senran?

EDIT: to play as

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 3, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DrPaper posted:

my bad I misunderstood what you were saying

who is your favorite senran?

EDIT: to play as

Katsuragi on the Hanzo side and Hikage on the Hebi side. I haven't touched my 3DS in months, though. Gunvolt sort makes me want to turn it back on, but I've heard that it's "designed for speedrunning" which isn't really my cup of tea for Megaman sort of games.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, Log Horizon, Wixxos and Chaika finally continue. I have been looking forward to all of those.
But I don't really see anything new that looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DrPaper posted:

you're a serial "i see a titty, so it can't be good" poster

I'm the opposite, only things with titys are good.

• Locked thread