Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Draft starts here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3640518&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post430678384

Picks are being tabulated here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NmNwtmVbt4UsWjCoDSUfeJx8CNkUbr7tE_KZlW0t4Z0/edit#gid=0

Alright so the MOVIE CHARACTER DRAFT is like any type of draft for any type of sport: you are trying to draft the BEST MOVIE CHARACTERS. How you define best is up to you. The point is to draft great characters, make other people mad that you stole their pick, ridicule other people's picks, and the usual draft repartee. Go hog wild.

There will be 10 drafters or teams of drafters drafting for 8 rounds in snake format (ABC CBA ABC CBA etc.). 80 movie characters drafted in total. Can extend the number of rounds if people are into it.

At the end of the draft, you can do an optional write-up on the team that you have forged. For shits and giggles, we'll also do a secret vote at the end, and one team will be crowned the winner. You cannot vote for your own team.

Draft order will be randomized after we get 10 sign-ups. You can team up with other people if you want....maximum team size of 3.

=====================

Here are our 10 teams:

Arkane
Team Airbud
jimcunningham
Gatts
scary ghost dog
penismightier
Sex Haver 40000
Vargo
JoeRules
TrixRabbi

And the draft order is....

Frackie Robinson, RandallODim, and Spatula City entered in the first round for a total of 13 teams...they're in spots 11, 12, and 13.

We're doing snake, so we reverse it in the 2nd round. So I'll draft first, etc.

Reminder of the rules:

Arkane posted:

• PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS UNDRAFTED CHARACTERS. You'll be tempted to do it, but try to avoid it.
  • Has to be a character from something that was shown in a movie theater; no miniseries or television movies.
  • Can be any type of "character" however loosely defined. Addendum: but something that is an actual character, not a location or a mood or an idea or some bullshit like that.
  • You get the character from all sequels/prequels/whatever even if the actor changed.
  • YOU MUST CHECK THE THREAD. You will have 8 hours, give or take, to make your pick or you're skipped (1am to 9am EST does not count in the 8 hours).
  • Everybody has PMs, so please do the courtesy of letting the next person after you know that it is their turn.

For your picks, please put it in bold and include a write-up/picture/jiff/youtube/some sort of flavor about why your pick is awesome. Any dumbasses can just draft random poo poo, the key is the write-ups. If you don't have time, make your pick and do the write-up later. As a for instance of a write-up, something like the below is adequate.

quote:

Round 1, Pick 1 of the History Draft

I pick George Washington. Because America.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

What is the draft for? An imaginary football team? What skills are we looking for?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The only purpose of the draft is drafting great movie characters & having fun with it. Nothing more. However you define great is up to you. If you want to build some theme around what you're drafting, then go for it.

The lack of sign-ups so far is kinda lame. If people don't want to participate, then it's whatevs...but this'll be fun. If you've watched a shitload of movies as I am sure many of us have, then sign up :)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Nobody's signing up because this makes no sense.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
To each his own...I've done a handful of drafts on other sites for all sorts of wacky stuff, and they've always been great/funny/fun. Just trying to inject something new here on CD. If nobody is interested, nbd.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I draft Airbud

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

zVxTeflon posted:

I draft Airbud

Maybe you just have a super sick memory, but you used that one on me in the movie sheep game: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462398&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post399885460

You in zvx?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont have archives so I dont remember what that its.

Sure ill do it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Nobody's signing up because this makes no sense.

No, see, you post your favorite characters and um...

it's suppose to be fun :mad:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

zVxTeflon posted:

I draft Airbud
BUT I WANTED TO DRAFT AIRBUD

this isn't fun at all :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You have to come up with a rough plot outline involving the characters in your roster. You would want to make sure you can fill all the different "positions" like:

Hero/Antihero
Second Bannana
Mentor
Bad Guy
Lesser Bad Guy
Woman

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I draft the entire fellowship of the ring, but I wanna swap out Boromir for Ctpn James T. Kirk, is that allowed?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
here's my team:

-hitler (inglourious basterds)
-judas (last temptation)
-stalin (stalin)
-babe (babe)
-caligula (caligula)
-the devil (legend)
-nebuchadnezzar (slaves of babylon)

good luck losers.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im in

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Meeeee

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I call dibs on Global Warming, who was most certainly a character in The Day After Tomorrow and an Inconvenient Truth. Oh, you're going DOWN.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I want every historical British adventurer who wears tiny shorts and huge socks.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Black Bones posted:

I draft the entire fellowship of the ring, but I wanna swap out Boromir for Ctpn James T. Kirk, is that allowed?

No you can only swap Boromir for Faramir, or other character played by either Sean Bean or David Wenham. (Take the narrator from 300. He's your best bet. The dad from Silent Hill. He wasn't doing anything in his movie so he can focus on the game.)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

I want every historical British adventurer who wears tiny shorts and huge socks.

Dammit. I was banking on getting David Farrar from Black Narcissus. Fine. I'll take Antoine Doinel.

Arkane posted:

Maybe you just have a super sick memory, but you used that one on me in the movie sheep game: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462398&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post399885460

You in zvx?

Oh, you did that game? That one was really fun. We should do that again some time.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

scary ghost dog posted:

here's my team:

-hitler (inglourious basterds)
-judas (last temptation)
-stalin (stalin)
-babe (babe)
-caligula (caligula)
-the devil (legend)
-nebuchadnezzar (slaves of babylon)

good luck losers.

I'd play but I've already lost... unless...

- Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar)
- Jesus (Passion of the Christ)
- Jesus (Jesus of Nazareth)
- Jesus (Life of Brian)
- Jesus (The Last Temptation of Christ)
- Jesus (Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter)
- Jesus (Ultrachrist)
- Clay Jesus (The Miracle Maker)

checkmate motherfucker

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sign-Ups:

-Arkane
-Team Airbud
-jimcunningham
-Gatts
-
-
-
-
-
-

Six more

Probably gonna close this thread and start a new one if we get this draft rolling, as this one is getting poo poo up purdy good.

Conversely if we don't get this filled by noon tomorrow, we'll call it a day.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The robot from I, Robot

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think in SAS a couple years back we did a movie character draft to make a basketball team that was pretty fun but I don't really understand this.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

areyoucontagious posted:

I'd play but I've already lost... unless...

- Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar)
- Jesus (Passion of the Christ)
- Jesus (Jesus of Nazareth)
- Jesus (Life of Brian)
- Jesus (The Last Temptation of Christ)
- Jesus (Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter)
- Jesus (Ultrachrist)
- Clay Jesus (The Miracle Maker)

checkmate motherfucker

- God (Dogma)
- God (Bruce Almighty)
- God (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
- God (Oh God! You Devil)
- Satan (Constantine)
- Satan (Passion of the Christ)
- Satan (South Park Movie)
- Ghandi (Ghandi)

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think in SAS a couple years back we did a movie character draft to make a basketball team that was pretty fun but I don't really understand this.

For instance, if we were doing a historical people draft...the #1 overall pick might be Jesus and the #2 overall maybe Julius Caesar or George Washington or Karl Marx or whatever. If we were doing a TV character draft, the #1 pick might be Walter White with Omar from The Wire #2 or Homer Simpson or something. It's just a free-for-all with no rules or singular goal...draft who you think is the best and argue over it. Then at the end, vote for the best one.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

- The Alchemist (The Holy Mountain)
- Death (The Seventh Seal)
- Agent Dale Cooper (Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me)
- Divine (Pink Flamingos)
- Mark Borchardt (American Movie)
- Young Abraham Lincoln (Young Mr. Lincoln)
- Varla (Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!)
- The Birds (The Birds)

Dream team.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arkane posted:

For instance, if we were doing a historical people draft...the #1 overall pick might be Jesus and the #2 overall maybe Julius Caesar or George Washington or Karl Marx or whatever. If we were doing a TV character draft, the #1 pick might be Walter White with Omar from The Wire #2 or Homer Simpson or something. It's just a free-for-all with no rules or singular goal...draft who you think is the best and argue over it. Then at the end, vote for the best one.

Surely it would be Augustus Caesar, and not Julius. :rolleyes:

Edit: Sign me up for your draft.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
-New York (Ghostbusters)
-The soundtrack (Ravenous)
-Roger Deakins' inimitable photography (The Ladykillers)
-Intolerance (Intolerance)
-The fact that, no matter how Jamaican you are, the Bad Boys will bring you down (Bad Boys II)
-The blending of documentary and fiction present throughout Herzog's work (Bad Lieutenant)
-Decapitation (The Holy Weapon)
-Dog Thing (The Thing)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

- The Alchemist (The Holy Mountain)
- Death (The Seventh Seal)
- Agent Dale Cooper (Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me)
- Divine (Pink Flamingos)
- Mark Borchardt (American Movie)
- Young Abraham Lincoln (Young Mr. Lincoln)
- Varla (Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!)
- The Birds (The Birds)

Dream team.

You pick Lincoln but not the one that's a badass vampire hunter?

I'm going to go with the basketball team idea that was posted above.

Point Guard: Teen Wolf - He's short but strong as hell and can handle the ball. Can still dunk due to being a werewolf.

Shooting Guard: Legolas - He's a pussy but he'd probably never miss a shot and would never get tired.

Small Forward: Snake Plissken - He'll be pissed off the whole game and not much of a team player but if you need to make one shot to save your life he's probably the guy.

Power Forward: James Bond - I have no idea if he can play basketball but I'm sure he would help the team somehow, he's James loving Bond. And the Connery version is built like a power forward

Center: Predator - The paint would be his hunting ground.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Something about Predator makes me think he has really bad knees.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

You pick Lincoln but not the one that's a badass vampire hunter?

I opted for the strategic court room experience.

Besides, those birds are going to murder everybody so I don't see why I even have other team members.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'mma come up with a game plan for this. My NFL draft had Al Bundy and crew with the other being Cam Newton and Iron Man and Flash Gordon and Terminator talking on Cuthulu. This is gonna be radder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat I realized I hosed up by not just throwing Michael Jordan in there. He's the only guy I can think of that wouldn't hesitate to get right up in Predator's face and tell him he should have helped on a double-team.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Hm if I was drafting a football team from movie characters it would look something like this

-Brett Favre (there's something about Mary)
-Deion Sanders (Celtic pride)
-Nordberg (the naked gun)
-President Camacho (idiocracy)
-chubbs (happy Gilmore)
-Byron Williams (mars attacks!)
-Mongo (blazing saddles)
-Lawrence Taylor (the waterboy)
-Michael Oher (the blind side)
-Frost (from dusk till dawn)
-Moses Hightower (Police Academy)

-guy who comes in at the last minute to sub for an injured Nordberg so they don't forfeit but has to find his resolve and overcome his lack of confidence first: Superman (superman)

Coach: mike ditka (kicking and screaming)

They would all play both sides of the ball because they're fictional movie characters

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Frank Stewart - Race With The Devil
Bennie - Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia
G.T.O. - Two Lane Blacktop
Specs O'Keefe - The Brink's Job
John Dillinger - Dillinger
Lyle Gorch - The Wild Bunch
Col. Madman Maddox - 1941
Frank Mansfeld - Cockfighter
Capt. Jack Braddock - Blue Thunder
Sgt.Hulka - Stripes

All the rest are pale imitations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

We're doing football teams?

- The Juggernaut (X-Men: Last Stand)
- The Hulk (The Incredible Hulk)
- King Kong (King Kong)
- Ghost Dad (Ghost Dad)
- Robocop (Robocop)
- Speedy Gonzales (Space Jam)
- Young Abraham Lincoln (Abe Lincoln in Illinois)
- Black Dynamite (Black Dynamite)
- Steven Seagal (as himself)
- Gus (Gus)
- The Truck (Duel)

Coach: Herman Boone (Remember the Titans)
Cheerleading squad: The Toros (Bring it On)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Arkane posted:

Probably gonna close this thread and start a new one if we get this draft rolling, as this one is getting poo poo up purdy good.

You will do no such thing.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Alright, you in Vargs?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I would assume he is, in fact, not in.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog