Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Date: June 7th, 2014
Venue: Tingley Coliseum
Broadcast: FOX Sports 1, UFC Fight Pass

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET)
Benson Henderson vs. Rustam Khabilov
Ross Pearson vs. Diego Sanchez
John Dodson vs. John Moraga
Rafael dos Anjos vs. Jason High
Yves Edwards vs. Piotr Hallmann
Bryan Caraway vs. Erik Perez

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
Yaotzin Meza vs. Sergio Pettis
Lance Benoist vs. Bobby Voelker
Scott Jorgensen vs. Danny Martinez
Jake Lindsey vs. Jon Tuck

PRE-PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7:30 p.m. ET)
Patrick Cummins vs. Roger Narvaez

Important Things:

The UFC has decided to grace New Mexico with it's presence with a pretty kickin' card. So I guess that means it will be bad. Bad as last weekends doubleheader? No, absolutely not.

Benson Henderson is a fighter who people love to hate. He's one of the best lightweights around these days, but has a knack for making the judges think he wins. It's a long standing tradition that he picked up once he faced the Answer. Blame Fe.

Rustam has been given a big step up in competition. And while he has looked rather dominant, his cardio is still left a lot to be desired. Unless he can somehow throw Bendo into the nearest Los Pollos Hermanos, he's kind of boned.

Much like Benson, Diego Sanchez probably hasn't won a fight since the recent Bush administration. But hey, wining punches and plodding forward is what's up, so perhaps he is the best eva? Ross has looked like hot garbage too lately, but he should get it done against the Nightmare. YES. YES. YES. (gently caress that pro wrestling dude that totally ripped off our favorite resident idiot)

I feel like John Dodson is the second best flyweight in the division, which doesn't sound like a controversial statement to make. This Little Man has knockout power, and killed recent P4P king TJ Dillashaw at a higher weightclass. This dude owns, and you should be excited to watch him flip around the cage.

RDA and Jason high are going to put on the Fight of the Night and it's going to be ridiculous.

Special Shout Outs to Thugjitsu Master Yves, and an extra special gently caress You to Bryan Caraway.

Sergio Pettis! Yaotzin Meza! Bobby Voelker! Scott Jorgensen!

MMA Snack Rating ™ White Pizza Pull Apart Bread. (aka, an embarrassingly easy summer snack.)

quote:

ingredients
1 loaf sourdough or italian bread
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon grated parmigiano reggiano
1/3 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
4 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
2 ounces provolone cheese, freshly grated
fresh basil leaves, for topping

directions
1. Preheat oven for 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice a grid pattern into the loaf of bread, leaving about an inch uncut at the bottom of the loaf. I find it easiest to slice longways and then go back and slice the rest of the grid.

2. Loosely tent the bread with foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes.

3. Melt the butter in the microwave or a small saucepan. Immediately add the garlic cloves to the butter, stirring well. Add in the parmigiano reggiano and the thyme leaves, stirring once more. Gently pry apart the bread squares and drizzle the butter into the crevices of the bread. Once you're finished with the butter, gently add the chopped sun dried tomatoes down into the crevices of the bread too. Mix all the grated cheeses together and again, gently pry apart the bread and stuff the cheese into the crevices and pile it on top.

4. Bake the bread for 15 to 20 minutes, uncovered, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove the bread and sprinkle some extra parmigiano reggiano on top. Add the fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.

Other Important Things:

One Lone Barista on Fight Pass, and the rest on FOX Sports 1. Oh yes.

Come hang out in #mma on synirc.org to whine about Benson's upcoming split decision win.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
thread title should have been "Cultural Learnings of Suplex for Make Benefit Glorious Republic of Dagestan" but that poo poo is just too drat long so just pretend

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Why did I think this was a UFC on FOX show?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Get hosed Bryan Caraway.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

ChampRamp posted:

It's pretty close to one, which says a lot about the quality of it. if Benson Henderson were beloved this would be the most stacked free card they've done since December.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
3/4 of Henderson's last fights have headlined "On Fox" cards so I guess when you see him headlining a free card it's just kinda the expectation.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Patrick Cummins didn't get sent back to Starbucks after his first fight?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Patrick Cummins didn't get sent back to Starbucks after his first fight?

He took it on super short notice?

It worked out for ilir latifi. He got jabbed to death by Mousasi on short notice and then subbed an easier dude after

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
loving assholes put future champion patrick cummins on fight pass? i wanted to see that. the only reason he lost to cormier was because he was winning the first 30 seconds and let it get to his head

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Triticum Guzzler posted:

loving assholes put future champion patrick cummins on fight pass? i wanted to see that. the only reason he lost to cormier was because he was winning the first 30 seconds and let it get to his head

I hope they cut him if he loses on Saturday.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
lmao. I thought you were kidding but he actually says 45 seconds. hahaha

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ChampRamp posted:

Because that's all Bendo has been on since UFC 150

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ChampRamp posted:

I wish it was, card looks cool and it would've been nice to watch it on TV in high def.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Watching Sanchez take on someone who can box and has head movement should be amazing

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Diego Sanchez vs Ross Pearson has FOTY potential

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'm looking forward to seeing my boy old man Yves fight again. Dude always has great fights.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Diego Sanchez vs Ross Pearson has FOTY potential

It will probably be Sanchez/Gomi with less terrible judging.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I still don't have a clue how the judges gave him that decision.
The fact he got that gift in Japan is even more baffling.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Aurain posted:

I still don't have a clue how the judges gave him that decision.
The fact he got that gift in Japan is even more baffling.

Did they use japanese judges who maybe went all pride accidentally? or do they fly judges over to gently caress things up?

Also I want bendo to win a split decision because the infinite tears on this board about him beating people never gets old.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8lQEgyPsqg

Wayans will begin at 6pm ET / 3pm PT

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

-Atom- posted:

Wayans will begin...

Pass

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Yves Edwards loving rules everything.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

LobsterMobster posted:

Yves Edwards loving rules everything.

Chipotle chips? A man after my heart

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I've been a fan of Yves since 2001, and I kinda want him and Caol Uno to fight each other again and then retire

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Also: Diego https://vine.co/v/MDKHiUATgvK

:allears:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Fun fact about Yves I just figured out (which means I might be wrong, lemme know if anybody thinks of any exceptions/additions) - Only two fighters currently fighting in the UFC have been fighting mma longer than Yves.

Vitor Belfort - October 1996
Dan Henderson - June 1997
Yves Edwards - October 1997

Vitor has had 34 fights, Hendo has had 42, Yves has had 64.

I believe the only realistic way Yves could be displaced as King of Old School in the UFC would be if they hired Dennis Hallman (May 1996, 70 fights) again.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Fun fact about Yves I just figured out (which means I might be wrong, lemme know if anybody thinks of any exceptions/additions) - Only two fighters currently fighting in the UFC have been fighting mma longer than Yves.

I believe the only realistic way Yves could be displaced as King of Old School in the UFC would be if they hired Dennis Hallman (May 1996, 70 fights) again.

I am pretending Yves is fighting Dennis' Polish kid tomorrow.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Josh Barnett January 1997
anderson Silva June 1997

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Josh Barnett January 1997
anderson Silva June 1997

Good catches. Barnett has had 40 fights and Silva has had 39

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Good catches. Barnett has had 40 fights and Silva has had 39

Wanderlei - November 1 1996, 49 pro fights

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

LobsterMobster posted:

Wanderlei isn't currently fighting in the UFC :frogout:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

Also a good catch. I feel like Yves and Barnett are the ones most likely to actually still be fighting a year from now and not be really, really sad.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Looks like Chael's first fight was in May 1997....and his second was five years later...

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Also a good catch. I feel like Yves and Barnett are the ones most likely to actually still be fighting a year from now and not be really, really sad.

Yves just needs to become the face or president or ambassador for the UFC because he's the best

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

You think? That last knockout by Medeiros was brutal, and might be a sign of things to come.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

You think? That last knockout by Medeiros was brutal, and might be a sign of things to come.

It might be, but the Stout KO wasn't, and it's not like Yves has taken much punishment over the course of his career.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

It might be, but the Stout KO wasn't, and it's not like Yves has taken much punishment over the course of his career.

He hasn't been in many long drawn out slugfests but that many fights and training for that long still take their toll. That said I was worried about Yves declining after the Stout knockout but it didn't happen so what the hell do I know?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He hasn't been in many long drawn out slugfests but that many fights and training for that long still take their toll. That said I was worried about Yves declining after the Stout knockout but it didn't happen so what the hell do I know?

I'm sure he's declined athletically given that he's in his late 30's, but he's always been a guy whose biggest strength was technique and experience, and that tends towards longevity. I doubt he's ever getting back into title contention given how stacked his division is, but he's probably going to do well enough to stay in the UFC as long as he cares to continue fighting unless he has some dramatic dropoff.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
JOhnny Eduardo has fought many years. Started in 1996

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

fatherdog posted:

In light of recent events I feel like Vitor's future fights will all be extra funny.

• Locked thread