Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Website | twitter | tumblr | Facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrc8i2xAtUM

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a first person "weird fiction" horror adventure game. You are Paul Prospero, a detective who is in Red Creek Valley to try to find out what has happened to Ethan Carter and why people are being murdered. Also you have "supernatural skills.

Here is a prequel mini-comic to help set the scene.

I'm glad you asked! The developers are using magical technology to scan the world and turn it into a computer game. It's called photogrammetry (aka witchcraft) and this post explains how it works. Basically by magic.

This is being made by people who used to work at People Can Fly, who you may remember from Painkiller and/or Bulletstorm. Or not. I'm not really sure what you remember. They call themselves The Astronauts now.

The game is coming out for PC and maybe other stuff. The goal is to bring the game to next gen platforms. I don't think there's a release date yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4sMtzeVqYc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
New blog post: On Violence and Macabre in 2014.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Very excited for this. Looks fantastic and a truly weird horror game is always fun. Hoping that they'll be releasing it this Fall.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Trailer post mortem blog post. My favorite detail is how vastly they overestimated the average gamer's intelligence. Attributing thoughts, feelings, and logical patterns of reasoning to someone is else far beyond the capacities of the average person posting YouTube comments on a video game trailer.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
There's a poll up on their site where they're asking what people want the game to be like. There are 47 votes right now and one option is way ahead of the other two.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why can't we have both? I am keeping an eye on this, it looks interesting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Personally I'd like any supernatural stuff to be lurking the background and not be the focus, it'd be more interesting that way and potentially creepier.

Also here's another one of their blog posts I thought was cool that's not in the OP. It's all about how adventure games died for a reason and I totally agree with it. The puzzles were always the worst parts of the genre and are really unneeded. (And I love some of the old ones like Gabriel Knight and Longest Journey) A good amount of the new adventure games get this and its one of the reasons why I think they're better.

http://www.theastronauts.com/2014/04/seven-deadly-sins-adventure-games/

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

This looks really cool, thanks for the heads up.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Trailer post mortem blog post. My favorite detail is how vastly they overestimated the average gamer's intelligence. Attributing thoughts, feelings, and logical patterns of reasoning to someone is else far beyond the capacities of the average person posting YouTube comments on a video game trailer.
Yeah I didn't know anyone even paid attention to Youtube comments, let alone try to parse useful information out of that shrieking cacophony of noise. There's a reason a Firefox plugin just to disable them exists.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This game will have a boxed copy sold in stores, interestingly enough.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Interview with the devs at "Bloody Disgusting" which is certainly a name for a website.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Why Paul Prospero has no hands in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, in which the developers reveal that you play as a double amputee.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Gamescom trailer is out.

PC preorders will be up next week.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Preview at Gamespot.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This game gives me a strong realMyst vibe and I'm more than okay with that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Website is up and so is the preorder widget through Humble Bundle.

Price is $20 with bonuses, comes out September 25th. You have your choice of Steam or GOG.

Also here's a gameplay vid with commentary.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 21, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I'm sold. Let's see how this goes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Horror thread brought me here. Really looking forward to this game. Sad to see it hasn't gotten more hype.

I love the... UI? Whatever, the way the words and stuff float around and show you where to go and everything. It all looks very nice.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Here's a new interview about the game.

Man, I'm getting hyped.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Wait, this game comes out in like two weeks? I thought it was still early in development. Hope it doesn't fly under everybody's radar.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Agnostalgia posted:

Wait, this game comes out in like two weeks? I thought it was still early in development. Hope it doesn't fly under everybody's radar.
I don't think there's any big games coming out at the end of the month is there? I think it'll do fine, word will probably get around once its gets released.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I want this. I want this pretty bad.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

This comes out in a few days!

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I know! I feel like I am the only one hyped for this game. Good to know there will be at least one other person to talk about this game with!

Playing through Metro: Last Light and Amnesia: Dark Descent while I wait.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Just preordered this on Steam, it looks really good. Those screenshots look fantastic. I know very little about it but I'm going to keep it that way so I can go in completely fresh.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my this game comes out tomorrow doesn't it? I'm so excited for a game I only heard about like a week ago :dance:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Macaluso posted:

Oh my this game comes out tomorrow doesn't it? I'm so excited for a game I only heard about like a week ago :dance:

For me it was seeing a trailer months ago and going "This looks interesting" then knowing nothing else until seeing it on the Steam front page 4 days ago and going "Oh yeah that" and pre-ordering. Just as excited though

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have never preordered a game on steam before. Hoping this unlocks at midnight so I can start downloading it to play tomorrow. From what I understand the exact time of release can vary for different titles.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I have never preordered a game on steam before. Hoping this unlocks at midnight so I can start downloading it to play tomorrow. From what I understand the exact time of release can vary for different titles.
Its getting unlocked at noon tomorrow, but they said you can preload it a few hours early.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Bah, stuck at work for another 4 hours. Post when you got the game!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

RadicalR posted:

Bah, stuck at work for another 4 hours. Post when you got the game!

Don't worry, it's late.

quote:

The plan was to release at 7pm Warsaw time (10am Valve time). Doing what we can but we might be a few hours late. The game is 99.99% done, but that 0.01% is bothering us because it’s bugs we KNOW about it and we can’t in good conscience publish the game with that knowledge.

If I know my software development that means we're going to see it on Sunday :)

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Uh oh, seems like they are ironing out some last minute bugs. Says it will just be a few hours later than expected but this is a bit concerning

http://theastrocrew.tumblr.com/post/98389251423/mini-faq-on-the-release-of-the-vanishing-of-ethan

Hopefully when I get back from work it will be ready to start downloading.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Uh oh, seems like they are ironing out some last minute bugs. Says it will just be a few hours later than expected but this is a bit concerning

I don't really think it's concerning. I really want to play it, but I'd rather a game be late so bugs can be ironed out than have it out on time and have those bugs not fixed.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

http://theastrocrew.tumblr.com/post/98389251423/mini-faq-on-the-release-of-the-vanishing-of-ethan

Hopefully when I get back from work it will be ready to start downloading.

Nah, I wouldn't be concerned. An advantage to being a small, self-published title is you can be pretty agile about this stuff.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The keys on Humble Bundle have dropped if you bought the game from the site. Still can't download the game yet though.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 25, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Accordion Man posted:

The keys on Humble Bundle have dropped if you bought the game from the site. Still can't download the game yet though.

Hopefully it drops in two hours.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Looks like on the Steam forums they just said they uploaded the game. I guess that means we have to wait for steam to update tomorrow at 10:00 AM PST? Any chance of it unlocking at midnight or sooner I wonder?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Looks like on the Steam forums they just said they uploaded the game. I guess that means we have to wait for steam to update tomorrow at 10:00 AM PST? Any chance of it unlocking at midnight or sooner I wonder?

One of the devs posted on Twitter like 16 minutes ago or something that they're uploading the game to steam now

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Lame! Only game in forever I've actually wanted to play on release date.

TheCoon posted:

It's out now, 5.7gb download.

My lucky day. Hopefully it's not buggy, this is a game that needs to be very polished.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 26, 2014

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

It's out now, 5.7gb download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Great news! Probably will be able to play some tonight!

• Locked thread