Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Im so ready to hook my comp up to my 40" HDTV and play this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

TheCoon posted:

It's out now, 5.7gb download.

Gotta wait for the GOG version. Hopefully, they are uploading to that as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Me, I'm just waiting for any word on the length of the game. I have no doubt it'll be good, but if it's one of those games where I spend $15 and I wind up beating it in 2 hours then I'll probably wait for a sale.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

King Vidiot posted:

Me, I'm just waiting for any word on the length of the game. I have no doubt it'll be good, but if it's one of those games where I spend $15 and I wind up beating it in 2 hours then I'll probably wait for a sale.

I do find it odd that video game hours are worth less than movie theatre hours despite the fact that the former has interactivity as an added bonus.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Man, this is a pretty looking game.

RadicalR posted:

Gotta wait for the GOG version. Hopefully, they are uploading to that as well.

GOG build won't be out until tomorrow sometime.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

TheCoon posted:

Man, this is a pretty looking game.

GOG build won't be out until tomorrow sometime.

GODDAMNIT.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

I do find it odd that video game hours are worth less than movie theatre hours despite the fact that the former has interactivity as an added bonus.

Hours typically don't bother me unless they're incredibly linear games. I imagine the game world of Ethan Carter is at least huge enough that it'll take several hours just wandering around it.

I don't know, I may pick it up regardless of story length. It's just too perfect of an October game to pass it up in favor of a sale.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I'm downloading it now. Pretty hyped!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

bonds0097 posted:

It's not that odd. People don't compare the value of video games to movies, they compare them to other video games. :shobon:

There are some games with crazy $$/hour ratios, y'know you spend 10$ on some indie game that you can play for 300 hours, and there are also 90 minute ~art~ games, and there are linear $60 AAA shooters that are 5 hours long. Seems fair that people like to know what they're getting for their :10bux:.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fintilgin posted:

It's not that odd. People don't compare the value of video games to movies, they compare them to other video games. :shobon:

There are some games with crazy $$/hour ratios, y'know you spend 10$ on some indie game that you can play for 300 hours, and there are also 90 minute ~art~ games, and there are linear $60 AAA shooters that are 5 hours long. Seems fair that people like to know what they're getting for their :10bux:.
True, especially when it comes to $60 AAA ganes, but sometimes it really reeks of entitlement though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

It's still pretty dumb because it assumes every hour is equally spent. I'm not saying there isn't a market for spending hours grinding slimes in a JRPG but that is a pretty different experience than a shorter but less repetitive experience.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Fintilgin posted:

I see your point. It's still a bit odd to me though because people don't typically compare movie lengths between movies (though if anything I'd be less likely to watch a 3 hour+ movie) or book page length between books; the emphasis tends to be on quality. On the other hand, there is perhaps less variability between movies/books of a given genre when it comes to that sort of thing. Either way, not really on-topic, my apologies for the derail. About to load this thing up.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

It is a bit of a strange expectation that games need to be a certain length. I think the expectations are changing gradually though, as we see a lot more really good, shorter titles like Gone Home and the Telltale episodic stuff. I'm starting to generally prefer shorter narrative games as I get older anyway.

Downloading the game now, probably won't get into it until the weekend though, speaking of playing time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It is a bit of a strange expectation that games need to be a certain length. I think the expectations are changing gradually though, as we see a lot more really good, shorter titles like Gone Home and the Telltale episodic stuff. I'm starting to generally prefer shorter narrative games as I get older anyway.

Downloading the game now, probably won't get into it until the weekend though, speaking of playing time.

Well, on the surface, it's really easy to understand. "I am paying (x) dollars, (x) hours means more entertainment for my dollar," but it's the kind of thing that just doesn't hold up.

I'm really curious to hear opinions on this. I'm holding off because I've got kind of an iffy feeling about it but if early word is good I'm hopping in on it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My verdict? This game :nws:has legs.

EDIT: Added a NWS tag just to be on the safe side

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 26, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My verdict? This game has legs.

I do like legs.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Well, on the surface, it's really easy to understand. "I am paying (x) dollars, (x) hours means more entertainment for my dollar," but it's the kind of thing that just doesn't hold up.

I'm really curious to hear opinions on this. I'm holding off because I've got kind of an iffy feeling about it but if early word is good I'm hopping in on it.

I've only completed the first sequence (the one that was featured in that dev video) but I'm really enjoying it. Seems like what Murdered: Soul Suspect wanted to be. This feels like the proper way to do a first-person narrative game. And holy hell is it gorgeous.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Protip for game devs: If you're not going to include a manual save feature, don't just tell me "Quitting the game will erase all progress since the last autosave" without telling me when you last autosaved and without giving me any indication whatsoever when the game autosaves

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

Seems like what Murdered: Soul Suspect wanted to be.

That is what I'm hoping. I'll wait to hear a bit more late-game impressions but that's my big hope for the game.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Protip for game devs: If you're not going to include a manual save feature, don't just tell me "Quitting the game will erase all progress since the last autosave" without telling me when you last autosaved and without giving me any indication whatsoever when the game autosaves

Yeah, that's my one major complaint so far. I mean, I get what they're going for with the minimalist UI, but I really don't mind them interrupting that a little if it means I don't have to guess whether I'll lose a bunch of progress or not when I quit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah wow not having an autosave indicator seems like a really weird oversight.

Game is gorgeous though. I did the first part really quick since I've seen it already, but has anyone tried skipping over it? You can walk right past and on to the next part so it looks like you can skip right over it.

There's a little bit of extra backstory you can miss at the very beginning too when you first come out of the tunnel. Find the 5 or 6 traps before continuing on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Game is gorgeous though. I did the first part really quick since I've seen it already, but has anyone tried skipping over it? You can walk right past and on to the next part so it looks like you can skip right over it.

There's a little bit of extra backstory you can miss at the very beginning too when you first come out of the tunnel. Find the 5 or 6 traps before continuing on.

You can skip right over it. I walked across the bridge and down the train tracks before going back because it was nagging me that I hadn't found the last trap. Now I'm paranoid about continuing anywhere in the game without knowing I've thoroughly solved the area I was in.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So here's a weird bug...

I was messing with graphics settings because my computer is not okay with the highest settings maxed out in this game. Understandable I guess. But when I was messing with it, I hit apply and... a like foggy screenshot of my screen suddenly covered my screen. Like a transparent picture was now covering my screen. Messing with every graphic setting individually, nothing fixed it. Quitting and going to the main menu didn't fix it, so I just quit right now. I have no idea what that was about.

edit: Also according to one of the devs I tweeted, there is a save indicator, 3 dots like during the loading. I guess I just didn't notice

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

as we see a lot more really good, shorter titles like Gone Home

But that's my point. I only paid 5 bucks for Gone Home, and since I experienced every single thing the game had to offer in about 2 hours or less, I feel the price was appropriate. Had I paid 15 bucks, the only satisfaction I would've gotten would have been giving the creators more money. I mean, they deserve that money but I don't think I could have helped feeling a little ripped off.

All the emotion and atmosphere in the world won't make up for spending $15-20 on something I'll experience exactly one time and never touch again, and that lasts a few hours at most. But then I live in a part of the country where movie tickets are not 10 bucks, so mileage-may-vary.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Macaluso posted:

I wish the auto-saving was more frequent. That said, there is an indicator, there's an ellipsis in the lower right hand corner when it autosaves.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
I might be dumb but how do I use the power to find an item as demonstrated in the video previews? In one of the videos the demonstrator did something to give a vision of where the crank was. I'm near the church and I'm trying to find the knife or whatever that cut up the crows, but it seems like I'd need to see a vision of where it is to find it.

Also does the game look blurry to anyone else? I'm running it at 1440p and I feel like its doing some kind of FXAA thing to just wash everything out, unless that's just an intended style thing.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Rukus posted:

I might be dumb but how do I use the power to find an item as demonstrated in the video previews? In one of the videos the demonstrator did something to give a vision of where the crank was. I'm near the church and I'm trying to find the knife or whatever that cut up the crows, but it seems like I'd need to see a vision of where it is to find it.

Also does the game look blurry to anyone else? I'm running it at 1440p and I feel like its doing some kind of FXAA thing to just wash everything out, unless that's just an intended style thing.

When the word cloud is up, look around until it coalesces into a single word. That will indicate the direction and show you the location in a rift.

I'm running actual FXAA and it doesn't look blurry at all.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

bonds0097 posted:

When the word cloud is up, look around until it coalesces into a single word. That will indicate the direction and show you the location in a rift.

Aha, thanks a bunch!

bonds0097 posted:

I wish the auto-saving was more frequent. That said, there is an indicator, there's an ellipsis in the lower right hand corner when it autosaves.

Yeah, at least some kind of suspend save to quit the game. Just had to repeat a few things due to the current implementation.

e: the music in this game is amazing, especially how well they implemented dynamic changes of it.

Rukus fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 26, 2014

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Rukus posted:

Aha, thanks a bunch!

Yeah, at least some kind of suspend save to quit the game. Just had to repeat a few things due to the current implementation.

e: the music in this game is amazing, especially how well they implemented dynamic changes of it.

I have a Radeon 280x and the display driver likes to crash every so often. Some games recover from this fine (mainly Unreal engine games but not all of them) and some don't. Not looking forward to losing progress that way. Can't wait to buy a 970.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The part where you have to put the house back together by going through the doors is trippy as gently caress. Frustrating of course because you only get two chances before it makes you restart it but I was pretty :aaa: when I finally put everything back together and walked through that last door into the weird magician's room. I really wish I had looked around the room more though before reading the paper and ending that sequence

Putting the clues back together at the graveyard for that mystery threw me for a loop as well. I'm still just as in the dark by what the gently caress is going on as I was when I started, maybe even more so, and I'm loving it.

Totally wish I could manually save though. I'm totally missing the autosave image each time I guess and don't want to do the house again.

edit: Whatever I stumbled upon in the mineshaft, WHAT THE gently caress (yo for real don't read these spoilers if you aren't there yet)weird area under the mineshaft with symbols and what looks like some kind of dimension gate?? Weird zombie ghost thing that scared the poo poo out of me?? Also the mom dead but I can't find the other clues for that so I guess I'll come back to that later

Also I've run into several bugs and weird texture glitches. The game is fun so far, but I wouldn't have minded them delaying it more to iron out some of these. One of the worst ones I've run into was hitting space at any time brings up a message from a previous thing I read. There's on way to get rid of it besides quitting the game. It wasn't an issue until I had to put together another murder and it would cover the screen in text and I'd miss part of the story. Also as I was running along the road I ran into a part of the road where there's a big crack in the road where you could look down and see some out of place textures. That being said, I'd be far more annoyed by these things if this was like a AAA game with a huge studio behind it.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 26, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

My verdict? This game :nws:has legs.

EDIT: Added a NWS tag just to be on the safe side
Additionally, it rocks.

I never heard of photogrammetry until this game but now it's one of my new favorite things.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man the door puzzle in that first house past the dam is really tedious. I'm probably going to wait until they fix the save issue, because honestly that's something they should have had differently from the beginning.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Just finished it. Im glad they dont force you to finish each puzzle area in order, since I couldnt find the drat rock in the fist area. Overall, worth the money, gonna force people to play it and ogle at the pretty. Also, the mine shaft story. Hell yeah.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I generally don't care about the worth per hour ratio, but that was 3 hours. A very pretty 3 hours, but nonetheless... There are quite a few places where it looks like they cut puzzles or content. In many respects it feels like the plot and game are a skein stretched thin over the body of impressive graphics.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I pretty much flipped my poo poo when I interacted with the stop light near the very beginning. I had no idea what was going on and it was awesome.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
As far as the mine is concerned Is the monster avoidable? I went in there once got jumped and assumed I had other stuff to do first.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Griffball posted:

As far as the mine is concerned Is the monster avoidable? I went in there once got jumped and assumed I had other stuff to do first.

If you keep running you should be fine.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Griffball posted:

It's avoidable. It wanders the halls warping in and out, if you run away from it you're fine.

Just finished the game, enjoyed it all the way through barring a couple glitches that made me restart a section. Utterly utterly beautiful game.

Everyone be warned: if you want the ending, you have to complete all the side events you come across. It will let you know which ones you are missing, and you have a couple of shortcuts if you need to go ALL the way back, but it can still be quite a hike.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Daedalus1134 posted:

It's avoidable. It wanders the halls warping in and out, if you run away from it you're fine.

Just finished the game, enjoyed it all the way through barring a couple glitches that made me restart a section. Utterly utterly beautiful game.

Everyone be warned: if you want the ending, you have to complete all the side events you come across. It will let you know which ones you are missing, and you have a couple of shortcuts if you need to go ALL the way back, but it can still be quite a hike.

Yeah I just manned up and went through there again, got through it.

Edit: Nevermind, after half an hour wandering I realised you could cross the river.

Griffball fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm at the mines where the zombie is. EDIT: Ugggghhh I hated the tunnels so much apparently there are a bunch of clues everywhere for the gate? I don't even know what to do here. If someone posts a screenshot of the completed mineshaft gate I woudl be eternally grateful.

The house puzzle was so frustrating especially after I discovered the "house" is practically Ethan's house, the easiest way is to go to his house, memorise the place and then come back.

Is there anywhere that sets out all the side quests? EDIT: Apparently 5 of them.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 26, 2014

• Locked thread