Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Daedalus1134 posted:

It's avoidable. It wanders the halls warping in and out, if you run away from it you're fine.

Just finished the game, enjoyed it all the way through barring a couple glitches that made me restart a section. Utterly utterly beautiful game.

Everyone be warned: if you want the ending, you have to complete all the side events you come across. It will let you know which ones you are missing, and you have a couple of shortcuts if you need to go ALL the way back, but it can still be quite a hike.

Awesome! I was worried that there wouldn't be a way for me to track if I missed any of the small side events, even that there wasn't a menu option, journal, or even achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm having trouble finding a plot item, the lantern. I've looked in the following three locations:

1) The "solved" magician's house
2) Ethan's house
3) The...elevator? just downslope from the magician's house, although I haven't figured out how to get down the elevator yet

Any tips?

E: Apparently on the third one, you can just jump down the elevator :psyduck: Is this guy related to Chelle from Portal?

Pyrolocutus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 26, 2014

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm having trouble finding a plot item, the lantern. I've looked in the following three locations:[/spoiler]

Any tips?

Church tower. Head inside the church and turn right

Pyrolocutus posted:

E: Apparently on the third one, you can just jump down the elevator :psyduck: Is this guy related to Chelle from Portal?

I did that too. This game is ridiculously glitchy

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

m-o-o-n posted:

Church tower. Head inside the church and turn right

Hmm. I walked inside earlier and all I saw was darkness, which I assumed was to be left for later until I'd actually found the lantern. I guess I missed that side trip, thanks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Daedalus1134 posted:

It's avoidable. It wanders the halls warping in and out, if you run away from it you're fine.

Just finished the game, enjoyed it all the way through barring a couple glitches that made me restart a section. Utterly utterly beautiful game.

Everyone be warned: if you want the ending, you have to complete all the side events you come across. It will let you know which ones you are missing, and you have a couple of shortcuts if you need to go ALL the way back, but it can still be quite a hike.

So uh... where does it let you know which ones I've missed? I thought I did everything but I still haven't beaten the game.

And what does turning on/off the machine in the dam... house...? do?.

Also where can you cross the river?

Maybe I'm just retarded and missing very obvious things here, and I understand the devs didn't want to hold your hand, but like a map or something would've been nice at least.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So uh... where does it let you know which ones I've missed? I thought I did everything but I still haven't beaten the game.

And what does turning on/off the machine in the dam... house...? do?.

Also where can you cross the river?

Maybe I'm just retarded and missing very obvious things here, and I understand the devs didn't want to hold your hand, but like a map or something would've been nice at least.

Under the handle of that machine it say Open or Closed, when it is closed it lowers the water enough that you can cross in one place

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Macaluso posted:

There is a map! It's out of game and a pre-order only bonus. :downs:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
From the making of PDF, during the section on their photoshoot sessions:

Oh Eastern Europe. :allears:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I just finished the game, and maybe it's just because I was annoyed at spending an eternity running around trying to find the goddamned stoplight/traffic light/TVs???? thing (seriously Astronauts, I know you "don't want to hold my hand" but give me some indication that something is there, especially when the road leads you around the other side so I don't have to backtrack wondering where the gently caress this thing is). But I am thoroughly unsatisfied with the ending.

So okay I guess Ethan died in that fire right? So everything were stories of his. That all makes sense, like the lovecraft monster and the zombies and the spaceship and everything. But all that stuff where his various family members tries to kill him, what's that about? Was all that fake too? And the very end when we see the real life stuff, what is happening there? They're like, hiding out in the basement? Why? What's going on here? Why are Ethan's mom, brother and uncle such dickheads?

I dunno, I enjoyed the game, I liked putting the murder sequences together, and the game was very pretty. But there were several times where I just wanted them to give me a big arrow saying "GO HERE. HERE'S THE THING FOR THE WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING" because I had no idea what to do. Getting the pickaxe for example drove me crazy, even though the answer was pretty obvious. Sorta. I was annoyed at the backtracking I had to do to get the thing I missed near the beginning. And I feel like the ending just left me with more questions than when I started the game.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Macaluso posted:

So I just finished the game, and maybe it's just because I was annoyed at spending an eternity running around trying to find the goddamned stoplight/traffic light/TVs???? thing (seriously Astronauts, I know you "don't want to hold my hand" but give me some indication that something is there, especially when the road leads you around the other side so I don't have to backtrack wondering where the gently caress this thing is). But I am thoroughly unsatisfied with the ending.

So okay I guess Ethan died in that fire right? So everything were stories of his. That all makes sense, like the lovecraft monster and the zombies and the spaceship and everything. But all that stuff where his various family members tries to kill him, what's that about? Was all that fake too? And the very end when we see the real life stuff, what is happening there? They're like, hiding out in the basement? Why? What's going on here? Why are Ethan's mom, brother and uncle such dickheads?

I dunno, I enjoyed the game, I liked putting the murder sequences together, and the game was very pretty. But there were several times where I just wanted them to give me a big arrow saying "GO HERE. HERE'S THE THING FOR THE WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING" because I had no idea what to do. Getting the pickaxe for example drove me crazy, even though the answer was pretty obvious. Sorta. I was annoyed at the backtracking I had to do to get the thing I missed near the beginning. And I feel like the ending just left me with more questions than when I started the game.

Our experiences differ a bit here, as I didn't have any trouble with the puzzles and actually completed everything by the time I got to the ending with no backtracking. Maybe you and I were just going through the areas at different speeds? I was pretty thorough in my exploration.

Holistically though I left with a somewhat similar opinion. The game is beautiful and I love a lot of the execution details, but in the end I left not feeling a great sense of closure. I'd still happily recommend this to people, don't get me wrong, and I'll likely be taking the game into the office next week to show to our art director. That said, for being a similar experience I found Ether One to left me with a much stronger impression. Definitely check that game out if you liked Ethan Carter; it's wonderful and, I think, in the end a better game.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I solved the part in the crpyt next to that church, the one with the lantern and stuff and Ethan mentioned needing to go to the mine. I found an entrance but it's locked, anyone know where to go next? I've just sorta been wondering around.

Just looking for help where to go in the early game if you're wondering about the spoiler.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

cat doter posted:

I solved the part in the crpyt next to that church, the one with the lantern and stuff and Ethan mentioned needing to go to the mine. I found an entrance but it's locked, anyone know where to go next? I've just sorta been wondering around.

Just looking for help where to go in the early game if you're wondering about the spoiler.

There is a hole in the ground to the left of the path. No idea how far from the gate it is; I didn't even proceed far enough from the church to find the gate before I accidentally went inside.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Brackhar posted:

There is a hole in the ground to the left of the path. No idea how far from the gate it is; I didn't even proceed far enough from the church to find the gate before I accidentally went inside.

It's like right around the corner pretty much. You just go up a small hill on the side of that gate and you'll find it. It's not super easy to spot, I kind of just found it by accident.

Masochism
Aug 28, 2004

Stoned, Ripped, Twisted...Good People.
I can't seem to get the drat lift to the mine to come up? So far i've done...

*Rail crime scene, Grave yard
*Door puzzle

Since Ethans dad doesnt have his key to the gate, where is the other entrance?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Masochism posted:

I can't seem to get the drat lift to the mine to come up? So far i've done...

*Rail crime scene, Grave yard
*Door puzzle

Since Ethans dad doesnt have his key to the gate, where is the other entrance?

You're missing two sections in the area you're in, and you don't use the lift to get to the mine. Explore past the church to reach the mine.

Masochism
Aug 28, 2004

Stoned, Ripped, Twisted...Good People.

Brackhar posted:

You're missing two sections in the area you're in, and you don't use the lift to get to the mine. Explore past the church to reach the mine.

Thanks.

I found the other entrance finally. Yeah, I see what you mean about the lift.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks guys, I'm in the mine now.

What's performance like for you guys? I seem to be able to maintain 60fps on high even with 8xMSAA but there's fairly harsh stuttering on lod transitions. It's installed on an SSD and I have 16gb of ram so I dunno why it does.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I found some weird cthulhu lookin door in the mine, anyone know what the deal is there?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I only have 4GB RAM and use less AA, but more or less the same experience performance wise. I think that's just a UE3 quirk that's made more obvious by the high quality(read: loving huge) models and textures this game uses.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

cat doter posted:

I found some weird cthulhu lookin door in the mine, anyone know what the deal is there?

I'm stuck on that too. I think you're supposed to dial in the right symbols like it's Cthulhu's Stargate but I can't figure out which symbols to use.
  • Each of the rings is marked by a geometric symbol in between the glowing runes.
  • There are runes in geometric symbols on the blocks on the floor.
  • The ghoul's ghost is standing on one of the blocks, a circle with a Z rune inside it.
  • The paper at the bottom has two glowing runes, but it's incomplete (burnt)
I can't figure out how to put this all together into a solution though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There are more ghoul ghosts to activate in the maze. Just move slowly and run the other way if you hear or encounter the scary monster.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Jonad posted:

I'm stuck on that too. I think you're supposed to dial in the right symbols like it's Cthulhu's Stargate but I can't figure out which symbols to use.
  • Each of the rings is marked by a geometric symbol in between the glowing runes.
  • There are runes in geometric symbols on the blocks on the floor.
  • The ghoul's ghost is standing on one of the blocks, a circle with a Z rune inside it.
  • The paper at the bottom has two glowing runes, but it's incomplete (burnt)
I can't figure out how to put this all together into a solution though.

I was able to find 5 ghosts in the area. With the burned note I was able to identify what the 4 missing items were, and then I just brute forced the combinations. Didn't take too long.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Discendo Vox posted:

There are more ghoul ghosts to activate in the maze. Just move slowly and run the other way if you hear or encounter the scary monster.

I soundly declared gently caress that noise and just looked up the solution after it grabbed me the first time :gonk:. I'm a coward, I admit it.

Griffball posted:

Under the handle of that machine it say Open or Closed, when it is closed it lowers the water enough that you can cross in one place

Ahh, I was stuck on this as well. Thank you.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I actually ended up solving the puzzle myself, I just found the other zombie things and used the note to figure out the combination. In fact, I just finished the game! And I didn't have to look anything up! Apart from the mine entrance! I'm smert!

It's kinda light on story and the massive size of the world really pads out the time, it's a fairly shallow experience and the puzzles/finding out where to go can be difficult because it's slightly obtuse, rather than just being challenging. Not a great game, but not bad either. How great it looks really helps.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Yeah it's definitly not what I was expecting from the steam page.

That said, the true ending is like nothing I've seen in a game before. It's like the end to a Polish Coen Brothers movie.

Constant Hamprince fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 27, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
From what I saw from the Making Of thing, it looks like it was basically a six person dev team if you don't count the mo-cap and voice actors(I haven't finished and seen the actual credits yet, so I could be wrong). I can see why it's a little light compared to what people expected considering all the crazy tech that went into making it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I wasn't expecting anything other than what we got, the part that surprises me specifically is less that it's shallow and more that it's shallow and the world is so large. That combined creates an experience that can feel a little hollow. I think it's important for developers to use their space efficiently and I much prefer dense, interesting worlds to large beautiful ones with comparatively little points of interest.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

I think the implication is that he wrote a story about a badass ghost detective investigating the murder of his entire family dying because his family kinda sucks, apart from dad and grandpa. It takes the threat of his death for Chad and Travis to actually care about him, but by then it's too late. :(

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Finished the game and I echo the sentiment the plot felt a lot more shallow in comparison with the environment, puzzle design and almost everything else. The ending revelation didn't tread new grounds really, and it felt like a bit of a cop out. I think it became obvious to me the whole thing was metafictional in some sense when the second sidequest involving the astronaut in space turned up - I thought it was a hidden easter egg by the developers (THE ASTRONAUTS) until Travis/Ethan's voiceover popped up.

I was hoping this would have the strangeness and scale of Deadly Premonition except pretty and with no awful combat, so I'm a little disappointed but understandable considering the size of the dev team.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

There is a map! It's out of game and a pre-order only bonus. :downs:

Can anyone post a scan of the map? I'd be curious to see it.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

So It Goes posted:

Can anyone post a scan of the map? I'd be curious to see it.

Without spoiler markers

With spoiler markers

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Finished the game, it was ok. Each of the little "stories" and the resolution were interesting (although also a combination of :stare: and depressing), but travel time was a big knock on the game and there were one or two places that were really loving hard for me to figure out.

If I had to tweak the game in terms of playability and intuitiveness, I'd probably do the following:

-Shorten the span of the train bridge
-Truncate the distance between the dilapidated train station and the dam a little
-Add a little footpath winding through the woods that passes near the column for the spaceship story, have the column blinking and facing the path
-Add a window or two in the hallway leading to the lantern in the church, allowing light to shine into the hallway and into the main room of the church, providing more of a visual cue for the player that there's a side hallway
-Make the entrance to the mine through the rocks more obvious
-Shorten travel distances in the mine, particularly the obnoxiously long tunnel segment between the death in the elevator ghost scene and the hallway to the bubbling water. Also reduce the number of landings down to the miners area, and shorten the slog through the water a little
-Provide a bigger visual cue for the engine in the dam house and the subsequent exposure of the bridge to the Vandergriff house

I think the developers put out a solid game for the cost, but they need to learn that there's a difference between creating a world for the player to explore and creating a world that's a pain in the neck for a player to explore, particularly when they might end up bypassing stories entirely and have to backtrack.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Finished the game, it was ok. Each of the little "stories" and the resolution were interesting (although also a combination of :stare: and depressing), but travel time was a big knock on the game and there were one or two places that were really loving hard for me to figure out.

If I had to tweak the game in terms of playability and intuitiveness, I'd probably do the following:

-Shorten the span of the train bridge
-Truncate the distance between the dilapidated train station and the dam a little
-Add a little footpath winding through the woods that passes near the column for the spaceship story, have the column blinking and facing the path
-Add a window or two in the hallway leading to the lantern in the church, allowing light to shine into the hallway and into the main room of the church, providing more of a visual cue for the player that there's a side hallway
-Make the entrance to the mine through the rocks more obvious
-Shorten travel distances in the mine, particularly the obnoxiously long tunnel segment between the death in the elevator ghost scene and the hallway to the bubbling water. Also reduce the number of landings down to the miners area, and shorten the slog through the water a little
-Provide a bigger visual cue for the engine in the dam house and the subsequent exposure of the bridge to the Vandergriff house

I think the developers put out a solid game for the cost, but they need to learn that there's a difference between creating a world for the player to explore and creating a world that's a pain in the neck for a player to explore, particularly when they might end up bypassing stories entirely and have to backtrack.

These are all pretty great suggestions. Do you do level design of your own out of curiosity?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, this game ended up being pretty underwhelming for me. It's overall good but I agree with the sentiments that its ultimately shallow with a weak narrative, a world that's way too big with nothing to do, and exploration that ends up being too obtuse for its own good. Gone Home did a much better job being an narrative exploration game in my opinion, there was so much more to discover and it all built up the story and characters. I'm happy at least that the majority of people seem to love it though, because I do really want more narrative games with focus on exploration and roleplaying and the like. I just hope that when The Astronauts make a second game like this its has more focus on substance than style.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 29, 2014

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Some of those suggestions, especially the one for the extraterrestrial story, are completely contrary to the developers stated goal of as little handholding as possible. Besides, the map at the end gives you clue enough about where to look if you didn't find a story. Personally the only issue I had with solving or finding anything in the game was the mine maze, I didn't realize I had to find a bunch of the dead miners to solve the puzzle - figured I just had to avoid the zombie and get to the puzzle room (I somehow missed ALL of them the first time I got to the room).

Hard to say if this was worth $20 but I enjoyed it well enough on its own. Completely agree with those who say there's just too much empty space. Likening it dead air on a radio station is not a great comparison, but it's close; the map is so gorgeous, but that lasts only so long. I think that could have been solved with even just a couple-few more stories to find and experience. The only other criticism I have is that the last couple of murder investigation chronologies are unbelievably stupid simple and are basically ordered in a straight line as you find them. No idea what happened there, really quite disappointing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

foozwak posted:

Some of those suggestions, especially the one for the extraterrestrial story, are completely contrary to the developers stated goal of as little handholding as possible.

Eh. I think in their quest to make a game that didn't hold your hand, they made it a worse experience. Like the spaceship thing is just placed in the worst spot because you're led around the opposite side of it, so unless you know to look for that, which you don't until the very end of the game, you'll never know it's there. I think some way points or directional effects would've been good. I mean this supposed detective has supernatural powers to communicate with the dead, they could've tacked on some kind of magical ghost guidance system to him.

Like I said I liked the game (besides the ending) I just kind of wish they DID hold my hand sometimes. Also a couple of extra optional puzzles scattered around so there wasn't so much pretty nothingness in between puzzles.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
In fairness the game's ending was pretty creepy, though probably not in the way the writers intended. It's the kind of thing you'd expect from an emotionally disturbed teenager given that it turns out you've been watching a young boy's fantasies about everyone in his family being murdered or committing suicide.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 29, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Having to find the puzzles at the end of the game also kills the pacing if you haven't done them yet, I think some of them should have just been optional and there to add onto the story, like the father's subplot in Gone Home.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 29, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

foozwak posted:

Some of those suggestions, especially the one for the extraterrestrial story, are completely contrary to the developers stated goal of as little handholding as possible. Besides, the map at the end gives you clue enough about where to look if you didn't find a story. Personally the only issue I had with solving or finding anything in the game was the mine maze, I didn't realize I had to find a bunch of the dead miners to solve the puzzle - figured I just had to avoid the zombie and get to the puzzle room (I somehow missed ALL of them the first time I got to the room).

Hard to say if this was worth $20 but I enjoyed it well enough on its own. Completely agree with those who say there's just too much empty space. Likening it dead air on a radio station is not a great comparison, but it's close; the map is so gorgeous, but that lasts only so long. I think that could have been solved with even just a couple-few more stories to find and experience. The only other criticism I have is that the last couple of murder investigation chronologies are unbelievably stupid simple and are basically ordered in a straight line as you find them. No idea what happened there, really quite disappointing.

The hydro-generator lowering the water needing a better visual cue is a very valid suggestion though, as there's no way to tell what it's done at a glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
For any of you who run into saved game problems, check out this utility for editing the saves:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/258520/discussions/0/616189106658579251/

• Locked thread