Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Crain posted:

So on top of the school shooting in Seattle yesterday, we now have a court house shooting in Florida today. This time it's one of our favorite political philosophies represented: Sovriegn Citizens.

Some one post that video that says that you can expect 3-4 copy cat shootings after a major mass shooting event again.

He was suing the county sheriff? I thought those were the only police these sovereign citizens believed had any real authority?

DemeaninDemon posted:

If there's one domestic policy that'll wedge into the Democratic Party it'll be charter schools. Privileged assholes love their charters.

I don't understand why Democrats suddenly love charter schools. Charter schools are run by private management companies which usually means the teachers hired can't have union representation. The NEA has always supported the Democratic party so why the desire to shoot the party in the foot by making it harder for public schools to stay open makes no sense.

We have an optometrist in Michigan currently under federal indictment for several counts of fraud. He took out a $2 million loan to renovate an old church building into a school and instead of paying for that put most of the money in his own bank account.

I could go on about this guy. All of the several charter schools he started had full optometrist clinics, got parents to buy their kids glasses that he said could only be purchased through his practice or his partner's practice, and also claimed his special version of vision therapy cured 90% of students of ADHD and got them off ritalin.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Hey Girl posted:

:roflolmao:

What was the last time the left was actually able to pressure a democrat into anything? I wouldn't even count marriage equality there because that's just the whole country that shifted and Obama followed suit.

Yeah I should have wrote that as "her left" as opposed to "the left," I meant pressure from more liberal Democrats and from the party base which as a whole is pretty opposed to the drug war and especially marijuana prohibition.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I don't understand why Democrats suddenly love charter schools. Charter schools are run by private management companies which usually means the teachers hired can't have union representation. The NEA has always supported the Democratic party so why the desire to shoot the party in the foot by making it harder for public schools to stay open makes no sense.

We have an optometrist in Michigan currently under federal indictment for several counts of fraud. He took out a $2 million loan to renovate an old church building into a school and instead of paying for that put most of the money in his own bank account.

I could go on about this guy. All of the several charter schools he started had full optometrist clinics, got parents to buy their kids glasses that he said could only be purchased through his practice or his partner's practice, and also claimed his special version of vision therapy cured 90% of students of ADHD and got them off ritalin.

I think it's a privilege/FYGM thing. Set it up so it's easier to send their own kids to really good schools but anyone who can't gets hosed.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Question. That Obamacare tax that's like 3% or something on the highest incomes? Does anyone know when that actually took effect?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

There is still a not-small segment of the Democrats who think we have to shred the public sector. Why is varied, dumb third wayism, hippie punching cred, cynicism, etc. but it is there. DLC/Third Way Institute, obsession with "moderates" are of this breed. Its how we end up with Obama willing to gut social security for a grand deal with the GOP.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Some of you may be aware that a draft copy of the Texas GOP platform has been leaked. As expected, it contains plenty of jaw-dropping right-wing nonsense such as support for "gay therapy" camps, shutting down the Departments of Education, Energy, the Fed and the EPA, and declaring climate change to be nothing but a "political agenda" begging for a sugar daddy. And of course, :byodood:Benghazi!:byodood: makes an appearance.

There are a few gems in there about the UN:

quote:

We support the withdrawal of the United States from the United Nations and the removal of U.N. headquarters from United States soil

quote:

We oppose implementation of the UN Agenda 21 treaty policies and its supporting organizations, agreements and contracts which were adopted at the Earth Summit Conference in 1992. We oppose the influence, promotion and implementation of all international nongovernmental organizations’ programs and policies and the use of taxes to promote these programs.

This one threw me for a loop, though:

quote:

All adult citizens should have the legal right to conscientiously choose which vaccines are administered to themselves, or their minor children, without penalty for refusing a vaccine. We oppose any effort by any authority to mandate such vaccines or any medical database that would contain personal records of citizens without their consent.

I didn't realize anti-vaccine nonsense was a conservative plank with enough support to be included in a major state's GOP platform, but I guess you learn something new every day.

Although I guess it can be interpreted more as :bahgawd:"The GUBMINT can't tell me what to do!!" if you want to be charitable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rkajdi posted:

Saying that a person should be able to control the sexuality of their partner is deeply puritanical and flawed. And again, it's historically been a tool used to oppress and contain women's sexuality, so again thanks for that.

There's this thing called a divorce that exists. If you don't want to be monogamous but your spouse does, you shouldn't be married anymore.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I didn't realize anti-vaccine nonsense was a conservative plank with enough support to be included in a major state's GOP platform, but I guess you learn something new every day.

Although I guess it can be interpreted more as :bahgawd:"The GUBMINT can't tell me what to do!!" if you want to be charitable.

Do you not remember the debate where they hammered Perry for being pro vaccine? If Bachmann hadn't drifted from "Parents Choice" - :bahgawd: into "Causes Autism!"- :freep: in the interviews after the debate it probably would have been a national plank.

Here is the ruling making Wisconsin #20
http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/WisconsinGayMarriage.pdf

He cites Scalia twelve times

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fried Chicken posted:

Do you not remember the debate where they hammered Perry for being pro vaccine? If Bachmann hadn't drifted from "Parents Choice" - :bahgawd: into "Causes Autism!"- :freep: in the interviews after the debate it probably would have been a national plank.

Here is the ruling making Wisconsin #20
http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/WisconsinGayMarriage.pdf

He cites Scalia twelve times

They really are trying to give him an aneurysm.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Some of you may be aware that a draft copy of the Texas GOP platform has been leaked. As expected, it contains plenty of jaw-dropping right-wing nonsense such as support for "gay therapy" camps, shutting down the Departments of Education, Energy, the Fed and the EPA, and declaring climate change to be nothing but a "political agenda" begging for a sugar daddy. And of course, :byodood:Benghazi!:byodood: makes an appearance.

Gotta love the "Repeal the 17th amendment" in there too.

EDIT: It's also kind of hilarious that the "party of Lincoln" wants to eliminate executive orders.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Capfalcon posted:

They really are trying to give him an aneurysm.

I hope it works :)

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

So we've got 4 straight months of job growth over 200k. Somebody help me out here. Do the job creators not know that Obama's enacted his job killing tax hikes already? It seems like the only logical explanation for why they haven't gone on strike yet.

Pick one (or both!):
1. Job growth is part of the natural business cycle and it would be over 500k by now if Obama wasn't screwing everything up so badly so 200k shouldn't be seen as an accomplishment
2. Those numbers are a lie

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I doubt they believe in business cycles. They probably believe recessions are caused by too many minorities aspiring above their station by buying tvs at walmart on food stamps.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

The fact that Perry was hammered in the Republicans debates over being pro-vaccine and supporting in-state tuition for illegal immigrants remains one of the most depressing parts of the debates for me. I live in Texas, so watching the other Republicans attack Perry over the two or three issues where I agreed with him policy-wise was really saddening.

:unsmith:"Hey Perry's actually making a tiny bit of sense, good for him!"
:smith:"God drat it, the one place I agree with him and they're using it as a weakness to attack him."

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 7, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Wasn't that about the HPV vaccine in particular? I could be wrong but I thought that was more a part of the abortion/birth control mindset of never allowing young women to have sex without "consequences", rather than thinking that all vaccines are suspect.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

fade5 posted:

The fact that Perry was hammered in the Republicans debates over being pro-vaccine and supporting in-state tuition for illegal immigrants remains one of the most depressing parts of the debates for me.

More or less than when the audience erupted into applause when he mentioned the number of people executed in Texas?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Pick one (or both!):
1. Job growth is part of the natural business cycle and it would be over 500k by now if Obama wasn't screwing everything up so badly so 200k shouldn't be seen as an accomplishment
2. Those numbers are a lie

Speaking of which, does anyone have the total amount of jobs created under Obama so far?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Wasn't that about the HPV vaccine in particular? I could be wrong but I thought that was more a part of the abortion/birth control mindset of never allowing young women to have sex without "consequences", rather than thinking that all vaccines are suspect.

It was the HPV vaccine that Perry pushed but they attacked him for having it be the state push it rather than vaccines being a parental decision.

Then Bachmann gave away the game with the autism bit

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, in the Oklahoma State Senate, Josh Brecheen decided to read from Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye as part of a discussion on Common Core, until he got to the part about the g-e-n-i-t-a-l-s and then, "the tightness of her ... uh ... v ... uh, I'll leave it to your imagination."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbBTzgc-PI4&t=360s

Seems like we do need better education standards if even State Senators can't read simple vocabulary words aloud.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

More or less than when the audience erupted into applause when he mentioned the number of people executed in Texas?
That I can at least understand, people being bloodthirsty assholes is nothing new. I read that line/applause as "We have the death penalty, and we are not afraid to use it", and if you support the death penalty, then applauding that line makes sense in a :black101: sort of way.

Remember, a lot of the public assumes the only people who get the death penalty are horrible criminals who are guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt, and that the death penalty is applied (mostly) evenly and fairly, so "We execute a lot Death Row inmates" is seen as a good thing, especially among Republicans.

On the flip side: “It takes balls to execute an innocent man.”
:smith:

E: As a comparison, I hated the audience booing that gay soldier a lot more; that was just pure, unfiltered hatred and bigotry there. And not one Republican candidate took a stand against it.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 7, 2014

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I should have wrote that as "her left" as opposed to "the left," I meant pressure from more liberal Democrats and from the party base which as a whole is pretty opposed to the drug war and especially marijuana prohibition.
I've said it before, I wouldn't be surprised if the right co-opted marijuana legalization as an issue at this point. It's pretty easy to frame as states rights or smaller government, and best of all it would score them major points with the millenials and give them a "cool" platform to run on, which they've been whining about for a while now. Christie and Perry have both tested the waters and stated they support less incarceration or decriminalization over the last couple of years. If either party made a strong push from their leadership I bet they could drag their base along, even though neither side has overwhelming support for it. It's almost like it's not a divisive enough issue for anyone to be really interested, but if the budget numbers come back strong in Colorado and Washington after legalization I could see either side pushing harder for it.

\/\/ - I know he isn't for legalization, and hasn't done much to help folks sitting in NJ jail for medical either, but he did make a headline for calling the War on Drugs a failure and prescribing treatment instead of prison.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 7, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

wixard posted:

I've said it before, I wouldn't be surprised if the right co-opted marijuana legalization as an issue at this point. It's pretty easy to frame as states rights or smaller government, and best of all it would score them major points with the millenials and give them a "cool" platform to run on, which they've been whining about for a while now. Christie and Perry have both tested the waters and stated they support less incarceration or decriminalization over the last couple of years. If either party made a strong push from their leadership I bet they could drag their base along, even though neither side has overwhelming support for it. It's almost like it's not a divisive enough issue for anyone to be really interested, but if the budget numbers come back strong in Colorado and Washington after legalization I could see either side pushing harder for it.

Christie aggressively attacked the idea of legalizing marijuana in New Jersey.
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/04/chris_christie_says_he_does_support_bill_to_legalize_marijuana_in_nj.html

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReidRansom posted:

I hope it works :)

I hope it's massively crippling but non-fatal, leaving him paralyzed, mute, and having to silently endure his years in constant agony. With any luck he'll die a centenarian.

Short of that I hope it affects his long-term memory and has to have the news broken to him 3-4 times a day that his parents are dead.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I genuinely hope they use it to gently caress with people. Like, they just start following Alex Jones or Dees from the politoon thread, just to make them (more) paranoid.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

wixard posted:

I've said it before, I wouldn't be surprised if the right co-opted marijuana legalization as an issue at this point. It's pretty easy to frame as states rights or smaller government, and best of all it would score them major points with the millenials and give them a "cool" platform to run on, which they've been whining about for a while now.

The only millennials that will be duped by this are libertarians or GOP voters to begin with, I don't think anyone would really fall for this. That being said in a world where the GOP is for marijuana legalization full stop the Democrats are already there too and are by no means deluded or crazy enough to think that is the thing to go to the right of GOP.

But yeah if Washington or Colorado start to see huge revenue jumps from pot every single local government will follow because they're desperate for cash still.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I genuinely hope they use it to gently caress with people. Like, they just start following Alex Jones or Dees from the politoon thread, just to make them (more) paranoid.

Just every day find a random twitter account and reply to a tweet. Not even anything menacing just like 'good one' on a joke or something.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

FAUXTON posted:

I hope it's massively crippling but non-fatal, leaving him paralyzed, mute, and having to silently endure his years in constant agony. With any luck he'll die a centenarian.

Short of that I hope it affects his long-term memory and has to have the news broken to him 3-4 times a day that his parents are dead.

I read this and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Then I scrolled back to see who you were talking about and yeah Scalia pretty much deserves this. I don't think he'd be really upset by the parent thing though, you'd want the news to be that Obama has been Supreme Court Justice for twenty some odd years.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have the total amount of jobs created under Obama so far?

About 5 million net private sector jobs since taking office and over 9 million since unemployment bottomed.

The best place to keep track of this stuff is Calculated Risk.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Just every day find a random twitter account and reply to a tweet. Not even anything menacing just like 'good one' on a joke or something.
"You tweeted that you had a bad week but you seemed awfully happy in the shower this morning?"

"You really shouldn't be surfing those kind of websites..."

Or my personal favorite:
"We know what you did, Mr/Mrs. _______"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cheekio posted:

I read this and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Then I scrolled back to see who you were talking about and yeah Scalia pretty much deserves this. I don't think he'd be really upset by the parent thing though, you'd want the news to be that Obama has been Supreme Court Justice for twenty some odd years.

I initially thought it'd be better therapy if he had a stroke while on a drive with his wife, killing her but not him, and he gets to stagger through the next 30 years of his life with his kids resenting him and having to be told every day that he killed his own wife by family members wishing he'd finally stop wondering why she isn't joining him for lunch.

But parents was a lot more brief.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I initially thought it'd be better therapy if he had a stroke while on a drive with his wife, killing her but not him, and he gets to stagger through the next 30 years of his life with his kids resenting him and having to be told every day that he killed his own wife by family members wishing he'd finally stop wondering why she isn't joining him for lunch.

But parents was a lot more brief.

Thread title for July, right here.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A sovereign citizen shot up a Georgia courthouse today, injuring a deputy in the leg before he died. He had smoke bombs, an AR-15, and explosives in his car with more at home.

So ends the third American Revolution June 6 2014 - June 6, 2014.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Berke Negri posted:

I doubt they believe in business cycles. They probably believe recessions are caused by too many minorities aspiring above their station by buying tvs at walmart on food stamps.

I worked with a Tea Party fundie guy for a bit. During one particularly mind-bending conversation the exact topic came up and he absolutely refused to believe in natural economic cycles and insisted government interference was at fault for economic downturns. I unwittingly quoted Ecclesiastes 3:1 to him and it short circuited his brain for a minute.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Joementum posted:

A sovereign citizen shot up a Georgia courthouse today, injuring a deputy in the leg before he died. He had smoke bombs, an AR-15, and explosives in his car with more at home.

His name was Marx? Don't you understand?! This was Obama's 895th false flag! Keep the powder dry! Molon labe!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

amanasleep posted:

About 5 million net private sector jobs since taking office and over 9 million since unemployment bottomed.

The best place to keep track of this stuff is Calculated Risk.

Danke!

Joementum posted:

Sovereign citizen? Pfft. A true Sovereign Citizen would never shoot people. Clearly it was some liberal posing as a Sovereign Citizen.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Sovereign citizen? Pfft. A true Sovereign Citizen would never shoot people. Clearly it was some liberal posing as a Sovereign Citizen.

I thought Sovereign Citizen and Fremen of the Land was the same thing, which made that article really disappointing.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The Democratic establishment has really internalized the whole neoliberal narrative. Charter schools are a priori good because they are "market based", just like the suggestion of sending bankers to jail is nothing but the baying of a bloodthirsty peasant rabble because Wall Street is the engine of the economy. The New Dem types who parroted this poo poo up till 2007 didn't stop saying it, they just realized they should keep it to the fundraisers and dinner parties.

Cheekio posted:

I thought Sovereign Citizen and Fremen of the Land was the same thing, which made that article really disappointing.

Pulled over for not having license plates on your sandworm

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Interweb posted:

Sovereign citizen? Pfft. A true Sovereign Citizen would never shoot people.

Well maybe not his legal person...

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It'd be funny if they had their main account but were operating @SavedYouAClick on the side as an automated "gently caress You Buzzfeed" service.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 7, 2014

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, in the Oklahoma State Senate, Josh Brecheen decided to read from Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye as part of a discussion on Common Core, until he got to the part about the g-e-n-i-t-a-l-s and then, "the tightness of her ... uh ... v ... uh, I'll leave it to your imagination."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbBTzgc-PI4&t=360s

Seems like we do need better education standards if even State Senators can't read simple vocabulary words aloud.

I'm not surprised this happened. Remember when two female state senators were banned from speaking on the house floor because one mentioned her own vagina?

https://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/06/15-6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Fried Chicken I would like to request that all future OPs consist mainly of comforting lies. Really good ones that convince me we aren't really hosed. I think that would be best for everyone involved. Think of it as a challenge! Thanks in advance.

• Locked thread