Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hey, remember Lost? Terry Quinn was a pretty great actor. Let's watch him in a cop show.

Gang Related is a serialized Fox cop show. Like any network cop show since The Shield, it desperately wants to be The Shield without any of the decent writing.

Starring

Ramón Rodríguez. A cop with a dark secret, basically he's Dicaprio from The Departed but with way more angst.

Jay Karnes (Dutch from The Shield) as an IA agent who thinks Ramon is dirty. Probably spends every table read going "Guys, I was on The Shield for 7 seasons, this writing is terrible can't we do better?"

And a bunch of other mediocre actors with terrible lines and your standard run of the mill glorified police brutality.

Starring (in episode 1)
- Restraining a teenage tagger who saw a officer get shot, then tasing his balls for 10+ seconds to get the name
- Cops deciding to target friends/family of the gang members, "We're doing the right thing", "It's the greater good" etc.
- Korean Cop grabbing a red hot hex nut to prove how badass he is to some 2 bit gang members, probably doing 2nd/3rd degree burns to his primary hand
- Tossing said shooters house, after not finding the gun lady cop #1 just tosses a massive bag of blue pills on the bed to get the guy his third strike.
- Rolling up to a drug deal with armored APCs firing like crazy while lady cop #2 is positioned with a massive gently caress off sniper rifle who starts picking off the drug dealers when the shooting starts.

Check out Gang Related for a serialized cop drama, stay for the massive display of police militarization and brutality and subtle to not so subtle racism.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A pity sticky for one of the saddest threads I've ever seen in TVIV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

0.8 in the demo ouch.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The pilot was pilot-y as hell but it's not a terrible show by any means.

Kinda enjoyed they kept Carlos alive after the shooting and then paralyzing him. I feel like they know where to go with him but not with Ryan. Ryan constantly just gets away being the good guy and being super successfully diplomatic about everything despite having to work against his colleagues for his adoptive family, but does the opposite and can just justify it without Javier batting an eyelash. I'm not even going to go into how his own unit doesn't know he constantly shows up to his adoptive father's place to talk about stuff. But yeah, if the show is trying to be dark with Ryan, it's not doing so well. Or Javier isn't really pushing him hard enough to give him a hard decision about who to help.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I started watching this, it shows a cholo kid with a watch getting his arm broke that I thought was cool then immediatly its in the present with a really bad car chase.

I turned it off when they were in the office saying 'cool slang' to each other. Felt like a CW show (which are good now somehow).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I thought this week's episode was better, they're actually upping some of the stakes that they set up, finally.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm just catching up with this and am half way through the pilot. Did they just tell O'Quinn to do Locke but with a badge and gun holster instead of a knife?

He even dresses like Locke did.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, I guess O'Quinn is supposed corrupt as gently caress, given it looks like the 'record numbers' his gang task force puts up seem to consist primarily of framing up people for 3rd strike charges.

It's like every police drama cliche they can manage is getting stuffed into this show.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Literally, almost every plot twist should have an ex-Shield cast member walk into the scene and yell 'THE SHIELD DID THIS FIRST'!

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
The scripts are not well written, some of the acting is off, but it gets some things so right. The last few episodes have been very solid and this last episode was great - the last five minutes was one of the best fights I've seen on TV.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RusteJuxx posted:

The scripts are not well written, some of the acting is off, but it gets some things so right. The last few episodes have been very solid and this last episode was great - the last five minutes was one of the best fights I've seen on TV.

The scripts are really bad for the most part. This is the exchange between DA girl who's dating Ryan and the IA guy, played by a Shield alum (Dutch).

DA girl "Well, I didn't disclose this earlier when you told me you wanted my help investigating Ryan, but I'm in a serious relationship with Ryan. I'm just going to ask him about being the mole and everything will be okay."

Dutch: "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR loving MIND!?"

DA Girl: "Well, but what if you're wrong? I just want to try to clear things up so we don't investigate the wrong person."

Dutch: "We put him under surveillance, monitor his phones, etc. and we're wrong, we apologize. Oops, we'll have a bit of egg on our face, we can get over it. If we're right PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE IF YOU TELL HIM"

To his credit, we get to see Jay Karnes act and show in 3 minutes just how much better he is then most of the cast.

In addition to that, Locke, enraged that his attempt to threaten Jaivar was caught on tape and a judge has issued a restraining order against him, enlists his connection with the IRS to bust the banker friend of Javier's businessman son. Said banker has apparently been under massive investigation by the Feds for running a Ponzi scheme, but they're willing to risk the case just to entrap Jaivar's son for Locke's revenge. It goes like this.

Banker: "Hey, I've got a ton of dirty money I need to hide, if you hide the money with your bank for me I'll pay you."

Javiar's Son: "....All right" (of course up to this point the bank has been kept completely free from illegal money but whatever)

To which Locke fist pumps and then he and the feds take down the son and the community bank. I'm pretty sure attempting to convince someone to break the law under the guise of arresting them is entrapment and crazy illegal. Never mind that Locke is being sued by the suspect's father and was just served with a restraining order, this operation doesn't look vindictive in the least!

They keep hinting that Locke is dirty as gently caress, but the amount of bullshit resources he has access to keeps growing larger and larger. It's like this one LA Gang Task Force captain can just pick up the phone and get tons of aid from any number of federal agencies to accomplish whatever petty poo poo he wants.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, one episode left. I didn’t bother recapping episode 11 but here’s the rundown.

Fake drama created between Ryan and the gang, they think he’s selling them out, people die, while investigating Ryan’s house gang leader’s son leaves Ryan’s hiding place exposed for DA girlfriend to find a bunch of cash, fake passports, guns, and hundreds of photos of Ryan with Javiar and his family. Cue dramatic music as she starts crying and realizing he’s dirty. poo poo, I’ve watched every episode of this show and I barely remember the names of anyone on this show.

So, show starts, and DA girlfriend has taken the bag of definite guilty verdict and tossed in into a random storage locker. Then she leaves cryptic voicemail on Dutch’s phone. Yeah, this isn’t a transparent set up for her to die before the bag is retrieved at all.

Oh hey, good old corrupt detective Locke is trying to arrange for Javiar to get killed in lockup. Why? He’s been busted, he’s going down for life, this is just risky petty vendetta bs.

DA girl has apparently undercover unimpeachable proof of Ryan as a corrupt cop and went about her life planning to go to work the next day, is shocked when Ryan approaches her as she’s heading to her car and threatens to call the cops.

Huh, so Locke openly admitted to breaking a shitload of laws to send a “message” to Javiar (ordering the guards to hang back and let Javiar get hosed up) to an entire room full of cops and federal agents. I’m pretty sure the DEA and FBI agents in the room have mandatory duty to report that.

Ryan apparently meets DA girl by some public park pond and tells her everything. She’s outraged, but rather than oh I don’t know telling him to turn himself in all she asks is that he convinces Javiar to take a deal, the same deal her father is trying to pressure him into by letting the Lords (black gang) shank him. At least that family is consistent in their stupid ideas.

Blah blah blah some bs drama about Javiar taking the deal, giving info, Locke continuing to be an rear end in a top hat to Javiar.

So, now Ryan offers to act as a double agent for DA girl, continuing to be a dirty cop, but feeding info back to her. At this point absolutely everything she’s done has more or less guaranteed she’ll die by the end of the episode. Speaking of, how would DA girl even go about making that deal? Go to her boss, say hey, my bf has worked for the Acosta gang for years but now wants to help us, can he get a pass? She even starts her spiel with “Outing you would cause an insane amount of damage to the dept, every case you were involved with, ruin the careers of everyone you worked with etc.” and then again threatens to out him if he doesn’t abide by her rules.

Oh, and for added drama the one FBI guy is now in a bind and needs 10k a month so he steals some cash from a drug house and is seen by the other female agent.

DA girl makes the least convincing argument ever to keep the head DA from trying to arrest Ryan, somehow it works. The entire script seems to hinge on some deus ex machina that will show up in the third act to resolve the extremely pressing problems.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE HEAD DA HAS BEEN WORKING FOR JAVIAR ALL ALONG AND SHE TELLS HIM EVERYTHING DA GIRL TOLD HER! AND SHE GIVES HER THE ENTIRE GUILTY BAG!

Seriously, its just completely manufactured b.s after b.s. I’d say its possible the writers planned this but it seems more like the wrote the story, backed themselves into a corner, and went “Well what if all these other people were dirty too? That solves the problem”

Oh hey Dutch, it’s been a while. Apparently he’s checking his voicemail a full day after DA girl left the message, gets the mysterious message about Ryan, will now know to continue his investigation, so that plotline is covered.

Aaaaaaand DA girl is killed Meta’s style. So everyone will obviously think a Mexican cartel killed a US Assistant District Attorney because her father arrested a major ally of theirs. As nuts as the US goes whenever some illegal immigrant gets a DUI and kills a white person, the country wide blowback from a cartel doing something that like that would result in an insane response from federal agencies.

The preview seems to be all the gang task force members throwing down their badges and heading down to Mexico A-Team style to murder the poo poo out of any cartel members they find. Should be fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This show is terrible. Good god. It makes SOA loom like high art.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
At first glance this almost reminds me of The Beast, which I was really hoping would end up being Dark Blue/Training Day: The TV show. I wish we could get something like that. Something like a real successor to The Shield.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Officially cancelled.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/02/fox-gang-related-canceled/?hootPostID=3c4a1ff44f15f985e12a40bcd9de90f8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I swear this show barely got promoted and that's saying something when I drove by the Fox Lot nearly every day for months.

• Locked thread