Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Stephanie DiMatteo
FP: 3

"Nuh-huh," Stephanie said, shaking her head. "Kersplode is totally a word, just like brakoom, plowie, and zzzhzkrakblamm."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Dr. Henry Partridge FP 4/5

"Comic books sound effects are not words!" Dr. Partridge suddenly pronounces as he throws his head back from the ULO, "They barely qualify as onomatopoeia!" With that announcement, he resumes placing his nose on the hull to examine his theories.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Stephanie DiMatteo

"Oh em gee, can you believe this Simone? It's like I'm the only one around here who's ever read a dictionary."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Simone Kazehawa
FP:

"Uh, yeah. Sure." Simone isn't even looking at Stephanie at this point. She's not looking at the imminent police brutality either. No, right now she only has eyes for absurdly valuable alloys. Oh, she could do... actually, she can't do that much with this. She's a sociology major, for crying out loud. One motherlode of cavorite does not a societal meme make. Can't sell it, since it's either Tesladyne or Indian property now and she doesn't need billions of dollars that badly. Can't even rub it into people's faces on Twitter, since this whole situation is top secret.

Wait, everyone important's going to know about this find by the end of the day anyway. She'd barely be leaking anything if she sent a few quick messages to other departments. You know, in the spirit of inter-department unity. Not to rub what they found in everyone's face. Definitely not.

Going with Contacts to represent waving all this cavorite in everyone's faces on Tesladyne-approved social media outlets and maybe getting a useful response back. Also applying the +1 to finding rumors of 130 characters or less here, since it seems relevant. Contacts: 4dF+4+1 3

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Minori Genbu
FP: 7

"I'd say it sounded downright sinister. Are you one of the listed monologuers for this year's Back to Basics Villainy Contest? If not, they will TOTALLY rue the day they denied you the spotlight, and they're probably just writhing in jealousy of your vast superiority."

Minori is far too busy chatting on the phone to pay proper attention to things.

Mechanical Engineering!: 4dF+5 3
No way I can really stack that up.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Robo Tracker

Savitri Patel and the Alien Crash Site

"See, that's interesting to ask, because I did a thesis about that back in college." Savitri beams. "I wanted to link the pseudoscience claims of radiation in Mohenjo-daro to the depictions of nuclear war in the epic, while locating hard evidence in the actual site to either prove or disprove..."

She trails off, upon realizing that no one's listening and Stephanie and the other would prefer to argue the validity of the word "kersplode". Well, okay.

The crash site becomes a lot less populated by the time the Sub-Inspector receives a new call on her call. <Understood, Strike Team. Command, is the area secure?> A pause. <Alright, get ready, Strike Team. We don't know what's in there or who might still be inside the craft...>

Tesladyne and the Alien Breach (Around the Same Time)

The action scientists and the armored strike troops take up positions to breach the craft. Now that the government scientists have determined a weak point in the spherical craft, a thin layer of metal they can cut, they proceed to use an industrial blowtorch to carve a passage through.

While that happens, Dr. Henry Partridge discovers something weird about the external damage of the craft. It definitely got shot at when it landed, but from what? If it were something like conventional arms fire, the military would have identified it immediately. But these? They look more like... space age weapons, the sort you might see in Tesladyne. Or one of Helsingard's laboratories...

The blowtorch man almost cuts his way through. Just a little longer, and they can investigate.

<Five, four, three...>

But as the piece of UFO wall collapses, the officer behind him notices something blinking red inside the craft.

<Hold it, something's wrong!>

And when she takes a peek closer, her eyes widen in horror.

<Dammit, dammit, EVERYONE GET DOWN!>

Kolkata, India
Right about now

So, where were we again?

Oh, yeah:

Henry establishes the the craft was Shot At by Something or Other. And I cut you guys off, and spend a Fate Point from my scene budget for a BIG drat EXPLOSION!

Obviously, you guys aren't getting killed. You're action scientists! But, I need you all to detail 1) how exactly you get away from the blast in time, and 2) what is the most immediate danger you see in the aftermath (a danger to you, or anyone else on-site).

Also, make a final roll for the hypothesis. No difficulty to beat, just the highest roll wins. Invoke all the facts you created at this point! I put them as bolded advantages in the Robo Tracker.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Stephanie DiMatteo

Stephanie tapped her foot impatiently as the strike team proceeded to cut an entrance through the hull of the downed craft (which was totally an alien spaceship), something that was supposed to have been her job...she had the plasma cutter and everything...but the decision to go ahead with the breach had been made while she was busy arguing over the etymology of "explodonate" (from the Latin explodonatus).

For once her constant stream of chatter was directed inwards as a dozen trains of thought zoomed past each other in her head. "Oh em gee I could already have had us inside this thing by now it's like he's never broken into a crashed unidentified flying object before that was totally made by aliens I hope aliens like Reeses Pieces or I brought all those bags for nothing suppose that the two masses are m1 and m2 and they're totally separated by a distance r Doctor Vampire said that the craft was shot at but why would someone want to shoot down aliens oh hey that light's blinking"

When it came to the practice of breaking into secure science facilities (abandoned or otherwise) an entire book could be written on the various things an enterprising bunker buster should be on the lookout for, the steps and procedures that should be taken to ensure that your first excursion into the world of action urban science exploration wasn't your last, but superceding all debate and argument there was one fundamental principle that everyone could universally agree upon.

Blinking red lights were always, always a bad sign.

A single glimpse was all she needed. Wordlessly, her expression unchanging, she spun around as the strike team officer leaned in for a closer look (a classic rookie mistake), grabbed Simone and lifted her straight off the ground, then dove behind the closest piece of available cover which happened to be the case containing her breaching equipment, intern in tow.

The final countdown! Rolling Particle Physics and invoking Unusual Matter/Energy Interactions for a +2.

20:59 Kai_Tave !r fudge+5
20:59 Krysmbot Kai_Tave, -/+-+5 = 4

So the number to beat is 6.

I'll declare that the most immediate danger Stephanie sees in this situation is the possibility of Secondary Kersplosions.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Valentina Akilinov

The Russian rocket scientist hops down to the join the breach team, muttering to herself in her native language. Ion engines, heavy metal fuel and ballast, magnetic anomalies, aerial combat... what is going on here? There's an answer, right on the tip of her tongue, but she can't quite put it all together yet. She needs some kind of inspiration. Maybe they'll find the critical clue inside.

She was not expecting it to be a bomb, though.

Valentina does not do down. She races the blastwave from the explosion into the sky on a pillar of fire. It's a race she will lose, but not fatally. Just have to keep control when the wave front hits her. Trickier with Mackenzie in tow. Dropping her would be bad.

It hits like she ran into a wall, sending her tumbling, but she's got enough altitude in those few seconds to stabilize before she crashes into anything, and she keeps hold of the Australian. Valentina swoops in for a slightly clumsy but serviceable landing, dropping Mackenzie before stumbling to a stop herself.

"Was not expecting that!" She eyes the thick black cloud rising from the remains of craft with concern. "Do not breath smoke. Is toxic, with all that mercury and who knows what else in there. Have to make sure everyone gets away from it, and warn those down wind."

The answer to all of your questions is always: ROCKETS.
[00:49] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +/+++4 = 7
Invoking my prior aspect for a 9!
EDIT: And invoking Where No One Has Gone Before for an FP to make it an 11! :cheeky:

Valentina sees the risk of Toxic Fumes! Lots of nasty stuff on the craft that just got blown up and probably set on fire.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 29, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

"Yes, yes, yes..." Dr. Partridge mutters as he continues to pour over the craft, watching the burn marks and scratches. "maybe, maybe, maybe..."

Let me place my Notice hypothesis roll here!
[00:12:21] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+5
[00:12:21] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, /++++5 = 8
[00:12:26] <Davin_Valkri> Holy poo poo
[00:12:33] <Davin_Valkri> And with my free invoke, that's a +10!
Gorbash, would you like to spend an FP to beat that?

Then he hears the sound of a blowtorch igniting behind him.

"No, no, no!" he shrieks, trying to rush the cutting torch as two of the more burly officers grab him by the arms and hold him back. "You can't do this! This is SCIENCE! We are doing SCIENCE right now! Not this shooty-burny-cutty thing you're doing! What you are doing is ignorant, and, and wrong and stupid and, and, and, YOU WILL HEAR FROM TESLADYNE ABOUT THIS OUTRA--" He's cut off mid-rant by the officer calling out "EVERYONE GET--"

He breaks out of the officers' grip, leans forwards, and chastises the cutting man, "Oh, now look what you've do--"

"D--"

"--why is that light blinking?"

"--OW--"

Oh nuts! He spins and runs like hell!

"--N!"

He leaps over the SUV cordon by the perimeter JUST as the explosion happens, the shockwave sending him tumbling nice rear end over nice face onto the ground a good five meters further away. He gets up, brushes off his coat, and dramatically raises both hands. "No worries! I am quite unharmed!" Then he looks at the rubble lifted up by the explosion, all the loose girders and streetlights and giant piles of stuff teetering off every high spot he can see, and mutters.

"Oh, bother..."

Dr. Partridge sees Precariously Perched Plaster! That explosion sent up a ton of junk. Not all of it has hit the ground yet.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Minori Genbu

On the yell of "GET DOWN," Minori suddenly hunches down as a large shield - frankly too large to have fit in the backpack - lurches out and drives itself in front of her, taking the force of the explosion and leaving her more or less unharmed. Which is even more thankful when a bullet hits the shield instead of her.

Wait, what?

Mechanical Engineering!: 4dF+5 4
Welp. Even with that free invoke, I'm nowhere near the others. I will add Someone's Shooting as the additional threat.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Simone Kazehawa
FP:

Huh. You'd think someone would have responded to her messages by now. Yeah, she doesn't exactly have a lot of clout in Tesladyne, but you'd think someone would notice her flashing around pictures of cavorite. Maybe she should just let it sit for a few minutes, give it a bit of time to spreeeEEAAAAAHHHHH

Okay. So Simone wasn't exactly expecting to get pulled off her feet and hurled behind a crate of explosives. So sue her. But you know what? She didn't hurl her phone while she was flailing around, her glasses are still on her face, and her shoes are only slightly burnt. All in all, she got out of that explosion pretty well. It's almost enough to make her appreciate the pink ball of energy that dragged her over here. Almost.

"That was a hell of a tackle, you know that? How about next time you just-" Simone pushes herself back onto her feet and immediately begins coughing her head off as she sticks her head right into a cloud of smoke. Smoke that Simone can clearly tell is coming from the crate they're huddled behind, now that she's hunched back down to catch her breath. You know, the crate that's full of high explosives.

"gently caress me."

First, rolling for the hypothesis: Sociology: 4dF+4 2 Even with the +3 bonus from my aspect I'm not even half way to winning, so yeah.

Second, the biggest threat to Simone at the moment is forced innuendo the fact that she's standing next to a crate of explosives that is probably about to blow up. Is this similar to Kai's problem? Yes, but I'm not that creative.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Mackenzie Rolle

Mackenzie sees a blinking light, then the Russian slams into her and pulls her into the sky. One crazy ride later, she's back on the ground again.

"..." Mackenzie grips her helmet to make sure it's fine, then straightens.

"Huh. What-da-ya-know."

Because I Come From A Land Down Under, obviously. :smug:

"Maybe upwind too." Mackenzie points.

Something inside the remains of the craft is seriously damaged. Parts of the wreckage are gently hovering into the sky, and bringing dust, fumes and other bits and pieces with them. As Mack watches, one gently-spinning piece flickers electric-blue and drops to the ground again, and everything it was dragging explodes outwards.

She ducks for cover! "Dammit, cavorite!"

Those aren't sciencey so I'm adding Casimir Perturbance.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Stephanie DiMatteo

Stephanie casually reached up from where she'd taken cover behind the crate and pulled Simone back down out of the cloud of smoke billowing overhead. "Oooh, yeah, you don't wanna breathe that," she said sagely. "Don't worry BSFF, Semtex is totes stable even when it's on fire and stuff but it does emit fumes that are kinda just a teensy weensy little bit toxic. Now the plasma cutter, oh yeah, that thing'll totally kersplode for sure!," she said brightly.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Robo Tracker

Tesladyne and the BIG drat EXPLOSION!

Still reeling from the explosion, the action scientists see a number of dangers on hand.

With the ship cracked wide open, poisonous fumes waft out of its flaming, cindered shell. Bad enough that it threatens nearly everyone in the crash site, but if the winds from the marshlands start, the gas could quickly spread out of the quarantine area. Hard to tell how much of the gas would reach the rest of Kolkata, but does anyone really want to find out?

The situation isn't too stable down here, either. Plenty of things could still go off at a time like this, much like that crate Simone's hugging there. Heck, there's probably enough volatile stuff inside that ship to set off more explosions! Part of the construction site is already partially collapsing, blocking some of your exits. Any more explosions would trap you in here.

<Dammit, dammit, what happened there? Are you all alright?>

And let's not forget all the junk coming loose and falling down. And the crazy space rocks flying out of the ship. Not a good moment for Sub-Inspector Patel and the Strike Team, who all manage to survive in an amazing display of tenacity. They're still not in a good position though, especially not with falling rubble and flying space rocks coming right at them.

In the midst of everything, Mackenzie spots two figures fleeing from the scene. Two strike team officers not helping any of their comrades, and just sneaking out of there.

Hey, weren't those the two cops that appeared out of nowhere earlier?

Welcome to the THUNDERDOME crash site challenge! Everyone needs to work together or risk collateral consequences! Here is a list of tasks:

pre:
Contain toxic fumes before they spread to Kolkata [Superb (+5)]
Protect Patel and the strike team from debris     [Great (+4)]
Prevent further kerplosions                       [Good (+3)]
Valentina gets to establish the hypothesis! The (six!!!) facts that came into play here are Ion Overdrive, Magnetic Anomaly, Unusual Matter/Energy Field Interactions, The Most Cavorite Found This Century, Outside Villainous Influence!, and Shot At by Something or Other. So, you got those. How do all of these add up to how the craft crashed?

Also, Mackenzie: You have Cyber-Helmeted Action Scientist while catching a pair of jerks suspiciously fleeing the destruction of a highly scientific find, so it makes sense that you'd go after them and see what gives. This goes wrong when you run ahead of the others (not participating in the challenge) and put yourself in a tight spot. :getin:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Stephanie DiMatteo

Stephanie rose from her crouch behind the equipment case, watching clouds of acrid smoke and glowing, antigravetic debris billow out of the wreckage of the UFO, then cocked her head as she heard a familiar hissing sound over the ambient noises of panic and destruction. "Hmm."

She glanced down at the back of the case where a spot the size of a quarter was beginning to glow a bright cherry red. "Hmmmmm."

Then she grabbed hold of Simone's shoulders and pulled the intern a foot to the left just as a white-hot jet of high-energy plasma erupted from the case right where the other woman had been standing. "Yep! That's a plasma leak all right! Must've caught some shrapnel. Wuh-oh, aaaaand the magnetic regulator's sparking right next to the Semtex, thaaaaat could be a problem. Good catch Simone! 'Kay, just a sec'!"

With that she quickly vaulted over the case to the other side, humming cheerfully as she set to work reducing the kersplosivity of the impromptu bomb that had begun to take shape in her breaching tools. Really though, when you got right down to it there wasn't that much difference between wrangling a rogue plasma cutter and malfunctioning electromagnetic containment array next to a stack of plastic explosives and blasting caps and disarming the temperamental self-destruct system in some mad scientist's underground science lair's. Mainly it was just a matter of scale.

Rolling Burglary to disarm the trap and prevent more things from going boom.

22:22 Krysmbot Kai_Tave, ++-++5 = 7
22:22 Kai_Tave Awesome.

So not only does that succeed I succeed with style, generating a boost! We'll call it Salvaged Bunker Buster Gear since I managed to prevent most of Stephanie's equipment from kersploding, so smoke it if you need it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Bother, bother, bother," Dr. Partridge mutters in a way that only he can hear. He gives a mocking grimace to the floating chunks of plaster as if they were dogs with overactive bladders. "Why must science always be hindered by such small minds? Ah well...as the resident doctor, I suppose I'm obligated to provide 'preventative care'..."

With a casual jogging pace--which looks to everybody who DOESN'T have a hematophage parasite wrapped around their guts and spreading through their nerves like an impossibly quick cheetah run, but come on, how many of those are there in the world? One in a million? A billion?--he grabs a member of the strike team and hauls him to safety to a nearby alley under a series of thick awnings and various laundry things spread between buildings. Yes, yes, they'd absorb the energy of the falling rocks quite nicely. Thank you, Indian architects! One by one, he continues moving the strike team to the overhead cover. The last ones are Patel and the strike team member responsible for the plasma cutter. She's carried quite diligently over his shoulder; he's unceremoniously being dragged by the collar with his butt on the road.

When the last one is safe, he gives a little "tsk tsk" of science to the assembled group, steps back into the main street, and stops.

The first light piece of debris nails him on top of the head.

"Umph!"

Dr. Partridge has Begin the Hunt!, which lets him automatically move faster than a normal human at all times, but at cost. I figure that's enough justification to move Patel and the strike team to a place where they won't be hurt by debris as an automatic success.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Simone Kazehawa
FP:

"Y-yeah, good catch." Simone scuttles away from the crate as Stephanie begins the... operation? Defusing? Who cares what it's called, she almost got set on fire by flaring plasma and she's tearing into it like she's unwrapping a Christmas present and Simone is kind of starting to hyperventilate and-

Oh, right. She probably shouldn't be breathing that much when there are giant gouts of caustic smoke all over the place. So, it's time for her to stop panicking about the things she can't change and focus on the things she can. Explosions, no, can't help there. Smoke, nope, she's just one woman. Getting people out of the way of the smoke? That she can't do, but she sure as hell can figure out how to do it. All she has to do is pull up a few population density charts, compare it to traffic reports, layer the most likely projection of the toxic cloud over it, make a few reasonable assumptions and... There! Far as she can tell, this is the most efficient way to get people out of the way of the giant smoke cloud. Now she just needs to forward it to every government official in a three kilometer radius and hope that it gets somewhere useful.

Going to Create an Advantage so someone else can have an easier time clearing out the gas. Sociology: 4dF+4 8 I think I can safely say that there are now two free invokes on The Most Efficient Evacuation Plan Possible.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Mackenzie Rolle

"... What the hell?"

Mackenzie chases after them. "Oi!"

Compel accepted!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Valentina Akilinov

Valentina watches the rising cloud of gasses, trying to decide how to keep this from turning into a real catastrophe. After a moment, she snaps her fingers and makes a quick hop down to where Stephanie has moved her gear. "You still have that giant bag of activated charcoal, yes? Ah, here it is! Thanks!" She grabs the bag, and some explosives for dispersal, then takes off again. As she climbs, she continues her analysis over the radio.

"Someone exploded ship on purpose, that was not accident. It was a fail-safe. It was not extraterrestrial craft! It- hold on!" There's a sudden burst of static as Valentina strays too close to cavorite debris blasting through the sky at unpredictable vectors. She nearly hits it, but her piloting skill gets her clear - and then she nearly loses the gear but a bit of awkward fumbling saves it. She hits the right height and judges the wind. "As I was saying, is prototype from some secret project. Someone stole it, and original owners tried to shoot it down. Damaged aeronautics, so when it got too close to magnets here - crash! Then someone blew it up to keep us from investigating. Maybe original builders. Maybe thieves. But if we track back flight path, I bet we find secret base!"

"Oh, and watch out for activated carbon dust. Should contain toxins enough for evacuation." She arms the explosive, stuffs it in the bag, and throws it away from her. After a few seconds it explodes, scattering a cloud of black dust over the toxic plume, hopefully absorbing enough of it to give everyone time to get clear.

Hypothesis is Stolen Black Project Prototype!

Attempting to clear the toxic cloud with Chemistry!
[21:09] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, --+-+2 = 0

Rerolling with Eye in the Sky!
[21:09] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +---+2 = 0

:argh: And again with The Right Stuff, then invoking The Most Efficient Evacuation Plan Possible and Salvaged Bunker Buster Gear to make it an 8.
[21:16] <Gorbash> !r 4dF+2
[21:16] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +++-+2 = 4

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 5, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Stephanie DiMatteo

"Whaaaat!?," Stephanie cried out in dismay as Valentina put the pieces together (while zooming around the crash site dodging floating chunks of debris and assembling an improvised explosive device all at the same time, so cool). "You mean...you mean we don't get to meet aliens? Like, at all? Not even one? Awwww, but I've been practicing my first contact protocols and everything! This super-sucks," she confided in Simone, heedless of the fact that a lock of her hair was currently on fire thanks to an errant plasma flare from when she vented the containment bottle. "I was gonna have the first extraterrestrial Twitter follower, it would have been totes amazing."

A moment later she brightened right back up again. "Oh well, super-secret science lairs are fun too! We're gonna need a new plasma cutter though, like, for reals. Hey, where'd Mack go?"

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 5, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Minori Genbu

Minori gives Steph a sympathetic pat on the shoulder now that she's no longer screaming and hiding behind her shield plotting and thinking of grand escape routes that thankfully the others don't need.

"It's ok. We'll meet aliens some other time. Also, where DID Mack - oh, there! She's...running away?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Simone Kazehawa
FP:

"So I just tweeted pictures of a high-sec project to hundreds of... people..." The color drains from Simone's face as she realizes the full implications of what Valentina just said. This was supposed to be what puts her on the map, not what puts her on a watchlist. This... This could be bad. Really bad. Worse than getting kicked out of the archaeology department the day she joined. Worse than staring at test patterns. Worse than... not realizing your hair is on fire? Stephanie, what are you even doing. Someone should probably tell her that...

quote:

"It's ok. We'll meet aliens some other time. Also, where DID Mack - oh, there! She's...running away?"

"Sounds like she has the right idea."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Stephanie DiMatteo

Lurks With Wolves posted:

"So I just tweeted pictures of a high-sec project to hundreds of... people..."

"You did?," Stephanie asked, cocking her head to the side. "Wowwwwww, you're gonna get so many retweets! Good job!," she said, throwing her arm around Simone's shoulder. "So hey, bee tee dubs, is it just me or does Kolkata smell a lot like burning hair?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Robo Tracker

"Ohmygoodnessrocksaaaaaaaaaaaa, wait, I'm okay."

Savitri blinks and breathes a sigh of relief. She checks the rest of the Team, who all look okay save for the plasma cutter guy. Poor guy.

"Just when I thought working for the CBI doesn't get weirder than this..." She sighs, though looks clearly thankful. "So, I was busy getting carried by the Flash, what's this about a black project?"

She pauses, as if not sure whether to comment on Stephanie's hair or not.

Mackenzie Rolle and the Epic Police Chase

This part of East Kolkata hosts a large number of office buildings and malls, home to some of the most prominent IT companies in the city. The quarantine has evacuated a lot of people from the area, which has pissed off said companies to no end. On the flip side, Mackenzie doesn't run into any bystanders when she leaves the walls of construction site. This makes it real easy to spot the two officers as they cross the street and escape through an alley between two office blocks.

Before she could give chase, the streets immediately rain bullets.

Indiscriminate gunfire, from the office rooftop across the street, spray down towards her direction. The bullets ping off car hoods, asphalt, store windows... they generally turn the street into a death trap. All the while, the officers' sihoulettes start to disappear into the alley.

Mackenzie needs to either find cover, or draw out some of that famed Australian bravado to power through.

Valentina Akilinov and the Skies Over the Crash Site

Valentina hears gunfire! She gets to spot Mackenzie pinned down on the streets below.

But then, the She-Devil takes a high-caliber bullet of her own. It should have struck her dead in the chest, but instead it clips one of the wings of her jetpack. And now with that seemingly superficial hit, it starts to act funny. The kind of funny that causes a sputtering sound, puts out the engine for a few moments, and forces her to spiral downwards at an alarming.

Even as she falls down, Valentina gets a chance to spot her shooter: the distant figure of a robed (sorta familiar) woman on an office rooftop.

If she can only get this thing to work again before she gets too close to that black dust cloud she created.

Mackenzie, if you choose to chase the officers despite the gunfire, roll Athletics or anything else appropriate against a Good (+3) obstacle. You won't lose track of them even if you refuse or fail, but it might give them the chance to regroup.

Valentina, you have Eye in the Sky and flying high enough to make yourself a target, so it makes sense that, unfortunately, someone might take a shot at you and your wings. drat your luck. :getin:

If you accept the compel, take a mild consequence related to the damage on your jetpack and roll Vehicles against a Great (+4) difficulty to avoid getting too hurt when you come down. If you refuse, you can shake out of it and fly again, no problem.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 6, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Simone Kazehawa
FP:

Kai Tave posted:

"You did?," Stephanie asked, cocking her head to the side. "Wowwwwww, you're gonna get so many retweets! Good job!," she said, throwing her arm around Simone's shoulder. "So hey, bee tee dubs, is it just me or does Kolkata smell a lot like burning hair?"

"That's because you're on fire." Simone grits her teeth and just kind of tries to push Stephanie off of her shoulder. No she's not going to help put it out. What would she do, pat at it until it goes out? No thank you. She managed to get this far without any first degree burns, and she's not going to start now.

Of course, there's the distant patter of gunfire, but Simone's not worried about it yet. It's a disaster in a major metropolitan area, of course someone's going to be dumb and start firing a gun. Sure, it sucks for whoever's at the other end of it, but it's not her so ehhhhhhhh.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"I AM NOT THE FLASH!" Dr. Partridge suddenly snaps at Patel out of nowhere. "FLASH IS A COMIC BOOK SUPERHERO AND THEREFORE AN INCOMPETENT! I AM A SCIENTIST AND A MEDICAL DOCTOR AND VERY MUCH COMPETENT!" He continues with the overdramatic glare for a few moments before leaning back, calming down, and adjusting his hair. "But I suppose I can forgive this momentary indiscretion. Right, back to the matter at hand. First, someone get a fire extinguisher for Steph--"

Gunshots! Lots of gunshots!

"AhhhhhHHH!" He screams in annoyance as he slams his hands into his forehead. "Always with the interruptions! Always more preventative care! Keep this craft secure, Miss Patel, we will be back directly!" With that, he bounces off towards the sound of the gunshots to assist Valentina and Mackenzie.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Valentina Akilinov

Valentina swoops away from the cloud, turning to catch sight of Mackenzie again. "I do not know who's black project is problem. Could be my home country, could be China, could be Majestic 12, Helsingard... Lots of possibilities! I think Mackya Fomichna is chasing some of them now, hold on while-" That's when the shooting starts.

"ёб твою мать! I'm hit! Going down!" The wings on the pack are for control, not gliding, so it's less a graceful arc and more a scary tumble. Valentina twists around to make sure the engine is pointing in the right direction. She really is only going to have a little bit of useful thrust here before it gives out completely, so she needs to flare it right about... NOW! She opens the throttle frighteningly close to the ground but it slows her fall almost to a perfect stop, and drops her easily onto the ground.

She promptly falls over on the loose gravel of the construction site, the heavy pack knocking the wind out of her. "Oof! Down but okay! Mackya still needs help!"

But probably better to get into cover with all the bullets flying around anyways. Now, why did she recognize the lady who shot her...?

Compel accepted!
Taking the mild Wings Clipped, and rolling to make this a landing I can walk away from...
[11:40] <Krysmbot> Snorebash, /-+/+5 = 5

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Minori Genbu

"Mack and Tina are in trouble, and our vampire just towards them screaming. I think I'm going to run after them too to help out and slash or subdue Partridge. You coming, Simone, Steph?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Stephanie DiMatteo

Lurks With Wolves posted:

"That's because you're on fire."

"Ohhhhh...so it is just me!," Stephanie said before licking her finger and snuffing the flames out with a pinch. "Thanks science bestie! You're the best!"

Suddenly, gunfire. Stephanie whipped her head towards the sound, grabbing Simone's head and turning it in the same direction. "Gasp! That's not just me too, right? Someone's shooting at Mack! And Valentina! And maybe other people too! C'mon!" She ducked down and tore into the nearby case, tossing odds and ends over her shoulders until she emerged with a crowbar. A very pink crowbar. "Let's go, Minori! Science guns beat guns!"

With that she dashed off in the general direction of the shooting. A moment later she reappeared, jogging backwards to where she'd started from, and grabbed Simone's hand before taking off again with the intern in tow. "C'monnnnnnn!"

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 7, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Simone Kazehawa
FP:

If Simone dies during her time at Tesladyne, it will not be because of a gun or a knife. It won't be because of a death ray or a death bot. It won't even be a freak accident. No, it will be neck torsion that does her in, and Stephanie DiMatteo will be the cause. Seriously, Stephanie's going to give her whiplash if she keeps doing that.

Of course, neck strain doesn't matter that much when the cool teammates are getting shot at and the cute teammates are all running to save them. But what about the practical teammate? Well, the practical teammate knows when to face the facts and admit that all a sociology major can do in a gunfight is get shot. Besides, the three of them are good at this action nonsense. They got this covered.

"So, uh, I'll just go wait in the van. You know, where I won't get shot." Simone turns to walk away... but it doesn't feel right. Maybe if she just turned around and gave them one last wave goodbye... Oh crap.

By the time she realized what was happening, it was too late. Simone was trapped in Stephanie's gravitational field, and there is no known force in the universe that can truly escape it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Mackenzie Rolle

"Bloody hell!"

Mackenzie ducks, but on the bright side, firing down means they're mostly hitting her helmet. They didn't build that thing to break easily.

Mack takes a chance and makes a dash for it.

Athletics! <Krysmbot> Ettin, +/+-+3 = 4

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Robo Tracker

Plasma Cutter Guy covers his ears, as much as he could with his helmet on. <WHY DOES HE KEEP SHOUTING?>

<Secure the crash site and recover what's left!> Patel feels a headache coming in, but she draws her gun and follows the crazy action scientists. "Yeah, okay, I'm coming with."

Mackenzie Rolle and the Dramatic Encounter

Mackenzie practically barrels through the gunfire and heads through the alley. The mysterious gunwoman tosses aside her automatic weapons and retreats from the rooftop.

She keeps in pursuit with the fake officers for a block or two, not that hard when again, the streets remain empty except for the three of them. The chase comes to a stop, when the saboteurs apparently reach their destination.

The entrance of Science City.

A white van rolls out of the entrance and stops right next to the two officers. It opens up to let them in. You could stop them right here!

But more gunfire rings from behind you! As you look for cover, you get a much closer look at your gunwoman. It looks like the veiled woman / fanatic who was screaming about nuclear fire from earlier. Only, uh...

She seems to be packing more than just guns underneath that veil.

<The secrets of the Vimana will be preserved!>

And she fires again! With a pair of pistols and an assault rifle at the same time!

Mackenzie needs to defend against the woman's barrage of guns! ++/- +3 = 4.

As part of her compel, she also gets to act ahead of everyone this turn and whatever she does will decide what kind of conflict / contest we're doing. Everyone else will get to catch up right afterwards.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 14, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Mackenzie Rolle

Mackenzie needs cover! Also, her marks are getting into a van!

She kills two birds with one stone and dives into the van.

"G'day!"

Athletics: <Krysmbot> Ettin, /--++3 = 2 Invoking I Come From A Land Down Under to seal the deal!

Ettin fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 17, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 19, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Robo Tracker

Tesladyne and the Dramatic Encounter

Everyone arrives just in time to see the sight of a four-armed gunwoman (who again, looks like the veiled woman from earlier) try to shoot down Mackenzie while she bolts to the van.

<Go!> The woman shouts at the van. <I will hold them off!>

Bullets streak and blaze too close for Mackenzie's comfort, but she dives right on through the van's back doors as it drives away from there. The action scientists have the entrance blocked, so it looks like they're going to find another exit through Science City itself.

The woman spins around, bringing her four guns to bear on the rest of the Tesladyne staff. After which, she retreats further into Science City to find a better firing position.

Mackenzie Rolle and the Escaping Van

Meanwhile, the van continues to roll through the museum-slash-park, through various attractions and stuff.

Mackenzie doesn't get to see much of it, though. She instead gets a good look at the two police officers she followed in the van. They remove their armor to reveal cybernetic harnesses wrapped around their bare torso. One of them already slots in on a pair of metallic prosthetic arms in his harness. As soon as the cyberarm connects, it grips the side of the van with a crushing strength.

The other, less-armed officer doesn't wait and tries to shove her off the van!

Mackenzie: You are in a contest! You will need to find a way to gain the upper hand against these thugs while in a Bumpy, Moving Van. Use whatever skills you think will help and try to roll three victories before they do! These are a pair of Armed Warriors you're up against; they both have Fair (+2) in skills, but keep in mind they they get a +1 teamwork bonus!

Everyone Else: Conflict! You are in shooting range of the four-armed gunwoman, who has opened fire on all of you! She runs quickly, uses terrain to her advantage, and will try to shoot you all down while on the move. You have to handle her while in the Science City theme park, which has Scientific Attractions and Distractions and Sweet Gondola Lifts.

She is a Well-Armed Sharpshooter and a Master of Cover with a Good (+3) Action Mode (+5 Athletics; +4 Combat; +4 Physique) and two stress boxes.

Right now, she spends a Fate Point invoke her Sharpshooter aspect and attack everyone in the scene. -/+- +4 = 3. Well, enough to keep you all on your toes!

Keep in mind we're using the turn order rules in Atomic Robo (p. 114). So whoever posts after this can tag which PC/NPC should go next.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 21, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Stephanie DiMatteo

"C'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon!," Stephanie said as she ran towards the sounds of commotion, crowbar in one hand and Simone's hand in the other, rounding a corner just in time to see Mackenzie leap into the doors of a van that was quickly peeling out. "No Mack! Don't do it! They don't really have any candy! Oh hey, check it out Simone," she said, quickly shifting gears as a quartet of firearms were leveled at them. "It's that lady from the crash site! Gasp, and she's a ninja!"

Even as she remarked on this remarkable occurrence she was already in motion, quickly shoving Simone out of the line of fire before taking off in pursuit, undeterred by the bullets streaking overhead. "Hey! Hey! Where are you taking Mack!? And what's with the arms!? Don't you try that silent ninja mystique act with me, buster!"

The Science City theme park grounds were packed with people, many of whom were debating whether to run or to pull out camera phones as a four-armed ninja gunwoman came barreling through the park with a pink-clad American in pursuit, but Stephanie had never been particularly limited by the constraints of pedestrian thoroughfares. Scrambling atop an interactive, three-dimensional representation of a wormhole in space she leaped from that onto a nearby kiosk rooftop and from there onto the top of a nearby wall, and so on and so forth, keeping pace with the mysterious woman from a less crowded vantage point.

Rolling Athletics to defend and I get an 8 which I'm pretty sure means I succeed with style. So I'll go ahead and create a boost Distracting Chatter which someone can invoke to do something, I'm sure.

Then because Orokos is lagging like crazy even though it's throwing +1's at me like they're going out of style I'll turn to Krysmbot to roll Athletics again to create an advantage.

01:35 Kai_Tave !r fudge+4
01:35 Krysmbot Kai_Tave, /++-+4 = 5

We'll call this one Rooftop Shortcut.

Tagging Simone!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Mackenzie Rolle
FP: 5 4

Mack shoves right back, aiming to throw him to the side so his pushing angle's all wrong before kicking him away.

"Oh yeah?! Come on, I'll fuckin' glass ya!"

Athletics for my first roll: <Krysmbot> Ettin, //+/+3 = 4 Invoking Cyber-Helmeted Action Scientist to make it a 6!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Simone Kazehawa
FP:

Also rolling Athletics to avoid getting shot to pieces. Athletics: 4dF+3 1 I'll take that free boost from Stephanie's SwS to make that tie, which gives the gunwoman a boost but I'm not getting shot so I can deal with that. Let's go with Too Many Bullets for the boost.

For once, Simone is happy that Stephanie won't shut up. It's still annoying, mind you, but the crazy four-armed lady also thinks it's annoying, which means she's paying too much attention to her, which means she isn't firing as many bullets at the mildly dazed intern! Maybe this firefight won't be too okayshe'sstillshootingneedtofindcovernow

Okay. Simone is now cowering behind a souvenir cart. She can work with this. Well, she can work while behind this, which is good because ladies with extra gun-arms are a new development and she needs to figure out what their place in society is. Between her earlier actions and the local culture Hindu influence is almost cer-and then a bullet whizzed past her head and turned a plush E. Coli into a cloud of fluff, which really just derailed that entire train of thought. Simone really needs to find better cover.

Decided to roll Sociology to Create an Advantage, maybe get some insight into her motives, maybe find some Definite Vedic Influences, something. Sociology: 4dF+4 0 But Orokos does not want me to find anything helpful.

EDIT: I was going to pass to Dr Partridge, so I guess it's a good thing Davin posted next anyway.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 21, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"You 19th century jerk!" Dr. Partridge screams at the shooter he catches up to Mack and her would-be assailants. "This site is practically sacred! How dare you defile it so!"

Dodge time! Evading gunfire! (Athletics, +4): 4dF+4 5

Ducking behind planters, the fountain, a park bench, the souvenir cart--"Hi Simone, bye Simone!"--and one of the outdoor exhibits--"Come and see! Press this button to learn how air currents can be used for electric power!"--he forces his way through the suppressing fire to get right up in Durga-shooty-lady's grill.

"Imbecile!" he bellows. "Luddite! I'll stop you!" With one final effort he makes the final leap from the last park bench to try to grapple her!

I guess this is Combat to Create an Advantage like "Flouncy Vampire Pounce"?
Pounce time! (Combat, +3): 4dF+3 1

...he's got four limbs, she's got six limbs, maybe this wasn't a good idea.

"Uh...Valentina! Assistance, bitte!"

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Valentina Akilinov
OOOO P | OOO M | [Wings Clipped/-4/-6]

Valentina dives for cover behind a weird looking sculpture, and lands in a reflecting pool, immediately soaking her. Cursing, she crawls out of the obstacle and fishes in her gear bag. "Give me drat minute!"

This would be sooo much easier if she could fly, but the jetpack is out of commission for the moment, except maybe for short hops. But it's time to get some payback. She pulls a big, black boxy gun out, snapping it open to load a quartet of rounds. Not as good as a lightning gun, but the stick-and-shock should do the trick.

She pops up out of cover. "Get clear!" Then she fires all four barrels at the woman.

I tie defense so she gets a boost.
[20:15] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, --+++3 = 3

And I'm going to spend an Fate Point to say Valentina has some experimental taser rounds for her Osa. Electric attacks!
[20:17] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +/-++4 = 5

And it's Minori now.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 23, 2014

• Locked thread