Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
At the very least the scene wouldn't be done with the tone with which Utopia UK did it. It just wouldn't fly in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I think the new Utopia could still get away with it. Even if it was just shot for shot remake, the original scene is still different enough from when Obama did Sandy Hook that people wont just accuse the show of of being derivative of the real media conspiracy

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Series 2 of Broadchurch starts next week Monday. Very curious where they go.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

GreenNight posted:

Series 2 of Broadchurch starts next week Monday. Very curious where they go.

I'm at a bit of a loss considering how the first series ended. I mean, they're both out and done, right? I thought that was the whole point of the ending. Did Tennant's character lie about getting surgery to feel better? Is it going to be revealed the Miller went nuts after the reveal at the end of the first series and started murdering kids herself? Is Rory the Roman Catholic finally going to realize there's something familiar about the way that detective acts?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Because god forbid clarity of vision should infect art.
It's always been the showrunner/head writer's job to keep clarity anyway, so I don't see how having one writer is any better than having a staff of them. And the writing tradition has always been different from the UK's where they typically have one person do the short 6 episode order. I don't really understand why it's trying to be a thing here now, except as a matter of prestige. Noah Hawley (Fargo) apparently had assembled a writers room only to not credit them (maybe he will in season 2), Nic Pizzolatto has at least worked in a writer's room, John Logan (Penny Dreadful) doesn't really get much of the prestige behind writing his show anyway, and I'm actually mortified Gillian Flynn is solo writing the Utopia remake seeing as she's never done TV before and Fincher can't run a show either (and no one wants to report if Flynn is getting co-showrunner because "prestige reasons"). I dunno, maybe just count me a bit spiteful but I was taught the writer's room tradition of collaborative writing and being able to write for someone's style, so seeing these shows employ single writers is kinda gross to me.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wow, from spearheading a mildly popular science fiction series for four seasons and a bunch of related movies down to a glorified extra in stale CSI:LV. Way to go Ben Browder.
I feel like Ben Browder kinda just rested on his laurels after Farscape and it was too late when he was trying to get back in. He's pretty much in the guest actor circuit now, at least he showed up on Doctor Who a few years back. I dunno if he'll show back up on Arrow though, but wow, CSI, I hope he was at least the killer or something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you have to watch Utopia at least stop after s2e1. The rest of the season is just a crappier remake of the first, essentially.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
How are you so consistently wrong about everything?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

I feel like Ben Browder kinda just rested on his laurels after Farscape and it was too late when he was trying to get back in. He's pretty much in the guest actor circuit now, at least he showed up on Doctor Who a few years back. I dunno if he'll show back up on Arrow though, but wow, CSI, I hope he was at least the killer or something.

Sure, he was a main character the last two years of SG-1 as well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

You're forgetting his stint as Not-Macgyver on Fargate, which was miles more popular than Farscape.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sober posted:

Don't forget that Browder was still doing Stargate SG-1 up through 2008 (including the movies.) So, it's really only been the past 6 years or so where he hasn't had a regular gig. It looks like he's been in a few lower budget movies since then along with his appearances in Chuck, Arrow and, Dr. Who.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wow, from spearheading a mildly popular science fiction series for four seasons and a bunch of related movies down to a glorified extra in stale CSI:LV. Way to go Ben Browder.

He was also a firefighter/arsonist on CSI:Miami's first season I think.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sober posted:

It's always been the showrunner/head writer's job to keep clarity anyway, so I don't see how having one writer is any better than having a staff of them. And the writing tradition has always been different from the UK's where they typically have one person do the short 6 episode order. I don't really understand why it's trying to be a thing here now, except as a matter of prestige. Noah Hawley (Fargo) apparently had assembled a writers room only to not credit them (maybe he will in season 2), Nic Pizzolatto has at least worked in a writer's room, John Logan (Penny Dreadful) doesn't really get much of the prestige behind writing his show anyway, and I'm actually mortified Gillian Flynn is solo writing the Utopia remake seeing as she's never done TV before and Fincher can't run a show either (and no one wants to report if Flynn is getting co-showrunner because "prestige reasons"). I dunno, maybe just count me a bit spiteful but I was taught the writer's room tradition of collaborative writing and being able to write for someone's style, so seeing these shows employ single writers is kinda gross to me.

In the case of Fargo, Hawley sat in a room for a week with writers and hashed out a story, the scripts though he went off and wrote himself. Sorkin often used writers to break stories in The West Wing and then went and wrote the scripts. Credits are tricky things to begin with, and I can't imagine how much harder they must get in TV.

I don't see the issue with using a single writer. Game of Thrones is usually just Benioff and Weiss, save for a few episodes. Different writers clearly favour different styles of working. Deadwood had a team of writers, but almost every word was reworked by Milch and often on set. It doesn't always work. Look at Frank Darabont for instance, who thought that he could write the whole of The Walking Dead by himself.

TV can be a collaborative medium, but it doesn't mean that it has to be.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DrVenkman posted:

In the case of Fargo, Hawley sat in a room for a week with writers and hashed out a story, the scripts though he went off and wrote himself. Sorkin often used writers to break stories in The West Wing and then went and wrote the scripts. Credits are tricky things to begin with, and I can't imagine how much harder they must get in TV.

I don't see the issue with using a single writer. Game of Thrones is usually just Benioff and Weiss, save for a few episodes. Different writers clearly favour different styles of working. Deadwood had a team of writers, but almost every word was reworked by Milch and often on set. It doesn't always work. Look at Frank Darabont for instance, who thought that he could write the whole of The Walking Dead by himself.

TV can be a collaborative medium, but it doesn't mean that it has to be.
At least from a quick wikipedia check, at least Sorkin gave story credits for his writers. I can't tell if Fargo does the same. It's also completely baffling to me from this quote from Variety re: Fargo and Hawley

quote:

He had eight of the 10 scripts written before production began last November in Calgary. He penned them all in 10 hours, though he put together a small room of writers to help him break the stories.
Which is a little weird considering I just IMDB'd him and he's done story editing/writing work on TV previously before Fargo, so I'm confused as to why he got writers in the first place if he already knew how to break stories, or if he didn't actually have his material worked out into 10 stories and had a writers room help him break it and then didn't give him credit because he already wrote 8 scripts of material.

I'm not entirely out to get him or anything, but I guess I'm just a stickler for credits. Obviously something gets sorted out long before production or even anything gets written most of the time, even if the writers' room is maybe only half a dozen people. Don't get me wrong, I know it's the showrunner's prerogative to rewrite the hell out of what comes in if he doesn't like it. Apparently it's also just a bitch to arbitrate for credits in TV so that's why no one does it and just moves on with their lives. I think I just mostly take issue with people trotting out someone who's gonna be solo writing a series of 10-13 episodes and especially in the case of the US Utopia remake, is being written by someone who has no experience writing much less in charge of a TV series, a director who is entirely hands off with the writing process (Fincher) and at least from what I can find, no one is helping Gillian Flynn on that end by sticking her with a co-EP, so I guess ... good luck with that?

At least Pizzolatto/Hawley get a pass and John Logan at least has some TV movie experience, which is more than I can say for Gillian Flynn. She can write a book, adapt it to a movie, but writing a series alone? I'll believe it when I see it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Aw, drat, I couldn't find a thread for Alpha House. are Amazon streaming shows so unpopular that nobody here cares? Season 2 of Alpha House is wickedly funny, especially when they introduce Janel Moloney as a crazy Tea Party senator. Episode four, where her character causes the Capitol to get locked down, is a masterpiece of comic absurdity.
also the last episode has cameos from Elizabeth Warren and Rachel Maddow.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty much. Mozart in the Jungle has so much talent involved and nobody here gives a poo poo.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
People here like Transparent and Alpha House, I think it's just that no one has been aggressive about making threads for the Amazon shows. I will be checking out Mozart in the Jungle eventually based off of Deadpool's praise for the show. No idea when that will be though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I loved Mozart in the Jungle. The hippy drummer is a right crack up. It makes me like the New York old money people though. Not happy about that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Pretty much. Mozart in the Jungle has so much talent involved and nobody here gives a poo poo.

I named it my show of the year, so at least I give a poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

How are you so consistently wrong about everything?

I would be happy to hear your rebuttal (which cannot exist, because it's undeniable that it basically is a carbon copy of the previous season except more predictable and less interesting)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The last few episodes of the first season of Person of Interest make me really glad I stuck through all the procedural mediocrity.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The last few episodes of the first season of Person of Interest make me really glad I stuck through all the procedural mediocrity.

Welcome, friend.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Looking for something to watch. How are Masters of Sex and Strike Back?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 30, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are both brilliant. Libby Caplan out acts Martin Sheen... and he's no slouch.

Strike back has Fighting, guns, gunfighting, terrorists, sexy terrorists, sex. It's pretty great.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Rocksicles posted:

They are both brilliant. Libby Caplan out acts Martin Sheen... and he's no slouch.

This gimmick wasn't funny when Ravane tried it, and nothing has changed.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
holy poo poo.
season 5, episode 15 of The Good Wife.

hoooooooollllllyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiit.

:stare:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Rocksicles posted:

Strike back has Fighting, guns, gunfighting, terrorists, sexy terrorists, sex. It's pretty great.

Is Masters of Sex actually interesting? I'm not sure how much I care about the subject matter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spatula City posted:

holy poo poo.
season 5, episode 15 of The Good Wife.

hoooooooollllllyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiit.

:stare:

Seems like every show is being inspired by Game of Thrones now

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

JohnSherman posted:

This gimmick wasn't funny when Ravane tried it, and nothing has changed.

I don't follow, it's gimmicky to think Lizzy Caplan is a fantastic actress? Martin Sheen is the same the whole way through.

-Blackadder- posted:

Is Masters of Sex actually interesting? I'm not sure how much I care about the subject matter.

It's interesting because it's based on the true, but it's greatly dramatized. The acting is great across the board. But season 2 is uber boring at the start, i still haven't finished it. If you're sensitive about sex or religious you might not like it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rocksicles posted:

I don't follow, it's gimmicky to think Lizzy Caplan is a fantastic actress? Martin Sheen is the same the whole way through.

I think you're getting poo poo on because you're confusing Michael Sheen (who's on Masters) with Martin Sheen (who is Jed Bartlett).

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I started watching The Americans and I'm currently on the later half of season 2. Oh man, why did I miss this? (because I thought of Keri Russel as just Felicity and didn't give a gently caress about her, but I was wrong. So wrong). It's so good!

edit: Oh, The Good Wife is on southamerican netflix. I've heard a lot of good things about that show so I'm gonna dig into that after.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 30, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

I think you're getting poo poo on because you're confusing Michael Sheen (who's on Masters) with Martin Sheen (who is Jed Bartlett).

haha i did too, i'm super baked, it's the holidays.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Rocksicles posted:

haha i did too, i'm super baked, it's the holidays.

Nice

So hey Rick and Morty is pretty good. The pilot was pretty meh though; is it better in retrospect after you watch the rest of the season?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not one of the stronger episodes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zaggitz posted:

Welcome, friend.

I think if I hadn't been told how good it got I'd have dropped it before those final episodes where it started delivering on all of its potential. I'm fully on board now though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Two episodes into Manhattan. Who knew a show about Maths could be so interesting? :munch:

Olivia Williams's accent is a disaster though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Oh...Agents of Shield got interesting. I've gone from struggling to get through an episode to actually looking forward to the next one (From T.A.H.I.T.I onwards it gets better). Once they're able to go side-by-side with the Marvel universe instead of playing catchup then the show improves greatly.

Though actually I heard the upswing in quality has more to do with Jeph Loeb leaving to take over Daredevil. So...look forward to that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DrVenkman posted:

Though actually I heard the upswing in quality has more to do with Jeph Loeb leaving to take over Daredevil. So...look forward to that.

A factually inaccurate sentence in every way.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Jeph Loeb is perfectly capable of ruining two shows at the same time.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Since my computer exploded, I've been watching Agents of SHIELD an while I know it gets better, it's still been a rough eleven episodes. I am kinda interested in Agent Carter's show, due to Enver Gjokaj being a main cast member. That dude mostly carried Whedon's other failure of a show on his goddamned back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

Since my computer exploded, I've been watching Agents of SHIELD an while I know it gets better, it's still been a rough eleven episodes. I am kinda interested in Agent Carter's show, due to Enver Gjokaj being a main cast member. That dude mostly carried Whedon's other failure of a show on his goddamned back.

Those first episodes are rough rough going. Some of them (most of them) I just zoned out of completely. It picks up a bit when Bill Paxton shows up, but once you get to the the fallout from Captain America 2 the show takes off. It suddenly gains propulsion.

I also think that Agent Carter is a limited run, which might help things.

• Locked thread