Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Can the new mod be somebody who never watched Lost? That show has broken too many people to trust its fans to run the asylum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

I want a second Beavis and Butthead revival.

Somebody make this happen.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The reviews are usually just recaps from what I've seen. And the Todd VanderWiff guy takes Louie way too seriously. I read one review where he spent half of it talking about fighting with his own wife or something. Blargh.

I usually like Todd's reviews but that one was just cringeworthy.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Bill Cosby's estate

RIP Bill Cosby.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Both procedurals and multicam comedies are objectively bad.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Just blasted through Fargo, holy poo poo that was loving great. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good sit down, serial drama.

Anyone watching Salem? Is it any good? What about Longmire? Anything else decent show up on the radar recently? Most of the stuff I've been watching went off for the season. I've got some Orphan Black saved up to marathon and a few episodes of Penny Dreadful but that's pretty much it.

Longmire is decent. It's not appointment television by any means but the acting is solid, the story is interesting enough and the scenery is pretty. The biggest mark against it is that some of the 'white people dealing with Native Americans' stuff is a bit cringeworthy but overall it's an enjoyable way to spend an hour every week.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Is anyone watching this year's Last Comic Standing? There aren't any recognizable names in the contestants, but the judges are Russell Peters, Roseanne Barr and Keenan Ivory Wayans, which is probably the best set of judges the show has ever had

LCS has been surprisingly good this season. Most of the contestants have been funny and there haven't really been any gimmick auditions and the judges have been great (Roseanne is actually a good reality show judge...who knew?). I almost didn't bother watching it because the last few seasons that aired were awful but after being off the air for four years this season has been great so far.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Teek posted:

Just caught the second half, but they seemed to keep all the "shits" and "assholes". Some of the gore also looked fairly intact.

I feel bad for people who aren't getting to experience John Hannah's unadulterated dialogue.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

If you haven't watched this show yet you should go do it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Can't wait to see Jeff Daniels win Best Actor again. :smithicide:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

thathonkey posted:

Anyone know if "hello ladies" (hbo show) is coming back and if so when does the season start?

It's not coming back.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Apparently Kevin Williamson (lol The Following) and Todd VanDerWerff are having a twitter slapfight.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Did The Bridge get back on track in the new season? I really liked the first half of the first season but really hated the last handful of episodes.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Deadpool posted:

It was a joke. The fact that so many people took it seriously makes it even funnier.

This almost makes up for the disparaging comments you made about Buffy yesterday.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Considering the hilarious amount of effort they put into not showing her tits on Girls she may very well be a man irl.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

raditts posted:

The internet was around for a good bit of the X-Files's run, and Mulder/Scully shipping was definitely a thing before they had a name for it.

X-Files chat was huge when usenet was still a thing people used for having discussions. I wish I still had some of my usenet logs...it was hardly as mainstream as websites so it was the spergiest of the spergs chatting about stuff with predictably hilarious results.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

xeria posted:

I've never watched Dexter but technically the final (worst) season of The L Word aired (roughly) in the last 5 years and I feel pretty confident in saying that it was probably worse than Dexter.

The final season of The L Word was dire but it wasn't close to being as bad as Dexter's final season.

If you're looking for something worse than Dexter we have two shows ending in the coming season that have the potential: Sons of Anarchy and Glee.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

Todd gave the first season of The Leftovers a solid A on AV Club.

He was on his way out (of avclub) so he had to be trolling. The Leftovers is a bad show.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Every show is a bad show except for Breaking Bad and The Wire right?

Buffy was good.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Bown posted:

I mean....VDW does call Justin Theroux's character "compelling".

Nah, I kid. I guess I just thought smg77 was joking.

I was kind of joking because I knew it would get a reaction out of people but on the other hand I wasn't because I'm completely baffled by the glowing reviews from critics I usually have a lot of respect for (like TVDW and Alan Sepinwall). I also don't consider myself a bitter LOST fan (I bailed early in the third season but I don't harbor resentment towards Lindelof or anything like that).

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

First season has it's problems if you come for the possible Entourage-lite drama and can't get into the molestation story of the brothers but once Jon Voight & James Woods meet face to face it becomes electric.

Second season has definitely been more compelling and less navel gazing.

Ray Donovan would be a much better show if it focused on his business where he runs around cleaning up after Hollywood fuckups. The family stuff is dragging the whole show down.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Cactus posted:

Jesus loving christ those comments. Within six comments, six loving comments, it degenerates into "Obama sucks" "no you suck" "NO U LIBTARD"... :psyduck:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people, have some respect.

The internet is the worst thing humans have created.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

I've seen things in the gamers.txt thread that you wouldn't believe.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

So, last week you ordered Pizza from a brand new store. It was amazing. The restaurant did everything right. Then, this week you ordered from them again and as you excitingly pay the delivery boy your mouth is salivating - it's going to be amazing again and... WHAT THE gently caress!? This time it's just an empty box.

That's lost.

Nailed it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is it still less about him "fixing" problems and more about stupid family drama? Because I really hated that(except Jon Voight who owns).

It's about 95% family drama and 5% cleaning up after Hollywood fuckups. It's so frustrating because there are tiny glimmers of a great show that are completely overshadowed by cringeworthy family bullshit.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

It went from "Let's win the million!" when I got off the phone with the contestant coordinator, to "Let's not wear fedoras and anime wolfshirts on national television!" by the time I got to the studio.

How difficult was it to achieve this goal?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Season 2 is largely pretty good (though a bit trashy) stuff. But man, Sutter just loves violence for the sake of violence. Usually I'm fine with something like that, if it's on a show that isn't taking itself too seriously (Like Strike Back for instance), but when Sons does this gruesome violence and pretends it has a point it just exposes it for the ugly show that it is. Last season with the School shooting is the best example of that. You take a loving school shooting and do nothing with it other than to just say "Violence maaaaan, it's all around us."

They're also fond of doing this 'gentle song with VIOLENT IMAGES' montage because, I don't know, it's like irony or something.

The entire school shooting was just so that the DA could come at the club for selling guns (because there is a long running plotline about the club trying to get out of the gun business). Sutter could have used any other crime involving guns to achieve the same effect but of course he didn't because he's a hack.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Guys, my episode of Millionaire is tomorrow.

For those of you who will be watching: I am so, so sorry for what you're about to put yourselves through.

That was probably the gooniest thing I've ever seen. At least you didn't wear a fedora. :shobon:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

So how much did he win?

He's up to something like 63k and back for today's episode.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
So the goon who went on Millionaire walked away with $63k, a shirt that he sweated through, three passionate hugs with Terry Crews and one really awkward hug with the friend he brought with him as a lifeline. I'm calling it a success.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
The Tumblr Omegaverse. :smithicide:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

What the hell does this forum have against The Good Wife >:|

Only old people watch CBS.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Boatswain posted:

Anyone know why Chicago Code was cancelled? It is a great programme so far.

Same reason most shows get canceled. Not enough people watched it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

New Girl scored a 1.3 and Mindy Project scored a 1.0. Any chance of Fox cancelling this year?

Mindy Project is produced by NBCUniversal so it's probably dead but New Girl might get another short season to hit 100 episodes.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I don't understand how syndication = megabucks. What's the point of getting to 100 episodes if no one watches it to begin with? Why would anyone want to syndicate a show that gets crap ratings?

Because "crap" ratings on a broadcast network are decent ratings for cable networks that show a bunch of syndicated content.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Can we talk about how fantastic Ken Burns' Roosevelt was? I'm still at the end of the fifth episode, but I've been holding off until the weekend because once I start one episode I blink and its six hours later and I know a shitload about the Square Deal. These people were amazing.

It was really fantastic. I loved how they were able to effortlessly balance the huge impact the Roosevelts had on history while making their private lives just as compelling. It's probably Burns' best documentary.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

GraPar posted:

You're The Worst just got a Season 2 :yotj:

This is the best news. I hope they find a better way to market it going forward because the campaign they did before the show started airing was horrible and almost made me miss a great show.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

E: You forgot to mention that they're moving it to FXX, which is about as good as cancellation. Married is staying. :suicide:

It won't be expected to get big ratings on FXX. Then again that didn't save any of the other low rated stuff on FXX. :smithicide:

At least it's getting another season. (RIP Hello Ladies)

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: Lost is not worth it. Punch out now.

This is good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I never feel compelled to get around to watching Amazon shows because I pay the yearly Prime fee and kind of forget about it. I only subscribe to Netflix when new seasons of OitNB or House of Cards get released and then I cancel it after I binge them. I still haven't watched Alpha House and I probably won't get to Transparent soon because there are so many other shows to watch at the moment.

I also agree that the Amazon interface is awful.

• Locked thread