Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

What are your top 5 worst opening credits? I feel like The Mindy Project has gotta be up there.

"Mwa mwa mwa mwa mwamwamwamwa" is bad, but at least its only fifteen seconds long. Boardwalk Empire's theme sounds like a terrible Grateful Dead tribute band crashing hard at the end of a concert, and it goes on FOREVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It's been a long road,
Gettin' from there to here.
It's been a long time,
But my time is finally near.
And I will see my dream come alive at last.
I will touch the sky.
And they're not gonna to hold me down no more.
No, they're not gonna to change my mind.
'Cause I've got faith of the heart.
I'm going where my heart will take me.
I've got faith to believe.
I can do any-thing.

Rarity posted:

Worst ones are Lost, for starting the practice of 10 second long opening themes and Friends, for that loving song.

Goons ruined this one for me by pointing out the pixelation on the "S."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Game of Thrones though is so boring. Kinda neat for a couple times but i just skip it now. Haven't watched it in 3 seasons.

I'm not a big fan of the GoT theme either, but I love that its essentially the nerd maps printed at the beginning of every fantasy book since LotR adapted to television.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, best tv intro is a whole other can of worms, and I have a hard time separating intros I like for nostalgic reasons from genuinely good intros.

I mean, I loving love the original Perfect Strangers theme song. The song is cheesy in an 80s way, but still good. All the shots of the cousins with their families are really touching (check out 80s guy at .30). Balki on the boat excited to see the Statue of Liberty and then the both of them traveling to Chicago to face their destinies, just wonderful. I love it. I loving love all of it. But is it objectively good? I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdFhmRdBtno

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
We're monsters. Funny, funny monsters.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TVIV > Oafish, Fat Goon Wants to be Millionaire; Gets Yelled at by Terry Crews

...too much?

Fat should go before oafish. It rolls off the tongue better.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hope and vaseline posted:

Aughhhh I can't stand it when eyes get touched, pierced, or anything. It makes me squirm worse than any other kind of body horror.

Eh, its no worse than putting in contact lenses or undergoing LASIK surgery.

Best part of LASIK? After they cut open and peel back the outer layer of your eye, you go blind for a few minutes. Fun!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Topanga was hot

I never liked Topanga growing up. She reminded me of all the chunky girls I was going to school with.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo, let it die already!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Actually just how does Yahoo have money at all?

Yahoo owns Flicker and Tumbler.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Are they still under the same dome this season? If not, what happened to the first dome?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Not really sure what you guys were expecting. Lindelof came right out and said it was Lost without any of the things that made Lost interesting.

edit: this was posted in the commercials thread, but it deserves to be reposted here. I defy you not to laugh at child slaughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD8BkIgp9Fo

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 1, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Ah, Neil Gaiman, still desperately clinging to relevance despite not publishing a single noteworthy book since 2001.

edit: whoops, Gaiman apparently wrote the novelization of the movie Coraline in 2002.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 1, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

Irish Joe was better when you could at least pretend there was a real person behind that.

I have always been a real person, having neither the time nor the patience to craft a persona (or whatever the gently caress you're accusing me of). What you don't seem to understand is that most people are, deep down, horrendously lovely. I'm no exception. The difference between me and everybody else, however, is I don't try to hide it. I post what I think, even if what I think is mean-spirited, ignorant or completely wrong.

In a way, that makes me the most real person here.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

SuperMechaGodzilla is smarter than anyone else in that subforum though? By a really long way?

Who's smarter, the guy who spends hours looking for hidden penises in comic book movies or the guy who doesn't loving care?

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 2, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
So you can lord your book learning over the uneducated plebes in the show thread? Typical TVIV elitism.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

War of the Worlds is cheating, every Spielberg movie is about the Holocaust.

:aaaaa:

Hammond is Hitler, Nedry is Rudolf Hess, Muldoon is Himmler, Grant and Ellie are France and Italy and the dinosaurs are Jews. My god, it all fits!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Inside Amy Schumer isn't nearly as insufferable as that review makes it sound. Its an okay sketch show, but I'd still recommend Key and Peele over Amy Schumer because K&P are much funnier and have more variety in their sketches.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Game of Thrones isn't over and Walt dies in the end. Deadwood is probably the best American example of a bad guy winning because Hearst rolls over everyone, gets everything he wants and departs town with a smirk on his face.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Hey everybody, Comedians in Car Getting Coffee is back for its fourth season! In the premiere Sarah Jessica Parker does more to make me like her in fifteen minutes than the last 30 years of her career combined.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Haha, Cam's the woman.

quote:

Someone should re-import this to America to run on all the stations that won't run the gay Modern Family

All zero of them?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Taxi Brooklyn is almost charming in how contrived it is. Also, pixie cut.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The best time to stop watching a show is when you're no longer enjoying it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

scary ghost dog posted:

I bet you think drunk history sucks because drunk people aren't funny.

Drunk History isn't funny because its just boring people ad-libbing poo poo about history. It reminds me a lot of that cartoon from a year or so ago that was written by the lead animator's 8 year-old child. Its premise was that a child doesn't understand story structure and makes crazy logical leaps, but that's not actually a sustainable premise for a tv show. Its an idea, a one-note joke. After the first episode, the wackiness randomness of a child's imagination becomes incredibly tedious. Drunk History is no different. The joke is that the narrator is drunk and mistelling history, but once you've seen one episode, you've heard the punchline and the "joke" the series is based upon stops being funny.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 6, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, I think that's the one.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Key is like the black Fred Armisen. Armisen is constantly on SNL, has his own show, is a regular on another show, frequently appears in movies, does the voice of Speedy Gonzales. and still finds time to be awful on Seth Meyer's late night show every night.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Just meant they're both hard working comedians. If Key's the tall skinny one, then he's a much better straight man that Armisen, but Armisen does better character work.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Always skip the stage portions of Key and Peele. They add nothing and often ruin a good sketch by overexplaining the joke.

K: "You ever notice how women talk so much about nothing?"
P: "Yeah, and all I hear is blahablahablaahblah."
*sketch starts where all the women say blabablahablah instead of words*

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Ahh yes, I'm sure every goon here exercises 1-2 hours a day

6-8 for me, but only to justify my gross eating habits.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Luigi meme is officially run into the ground. Pack it up, boys.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

Yeah shows need to be pretty great from the get go, otherwise jump ship.

Yeah. That strategy saved me 6 seasons of Dexter and 9 seasons of HIMYM.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

If you think a show is bad, proper TVIV course of action is to hatewatch the rest of its run and irritate all the fans in its thread.

The nice part about HIMYM is that you didn't need to watch it to make fun of it. For all the 'continuity' and 'character development' fans crowed about, the characters didn't grow or change throughout the series' entire run. No new characters were introduced and the relationships between the main cast stayed roughly the same from the pilot to the finale. At any point in the series you could pop into the HIMYM thread say, "boy, Ted sure was a douche this week" and get a dozen people to agree with you. There's literally no other show on tv with that same level of staleness, including much maligned shows like The Big Bang Theory and 2 Broke Girls.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Except that the talking in between the clips can go on for too long so in that way it's actually....ahh, drat it all.

Scott Aukerman is the worst part of Comedy Bang Bang. He's a Chris Hardwick level talent and it boggles my mind whenever someone praises his show. Does anybody laugh when he says "Comedy Bing Bong" instead of "Comedy Bang Bang"? Like, is that even a joke? Same thing with "Where's your burrito?" What the gently caress is that about and why is it his catchphrase?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I'm torn I think she deserves to win but I don't want another raft of "Hey a fat girl in the news let's talk about how the media treats fat girls" thinkpieces.

Anyone who watched Fargo and walked away thinking it had anything to say about fat women is brain damaged. Allison Tolman is not grossly obese like Melissa McCarthy, nor does she proudly display her cottage cheese covered rolls like Lena Dunham. Her character is just a normal person doing a normal person's job, for gently caress's sake.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Who would you even nominate for B99 besides Andre Braugher?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

He says, patting himself on the back.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Why would the worm bore through the eye instead of going under or around it?

Immersion ruined. :colbert:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VodeAndreas posted:

Is there a thread around for the new season of Wilfred that I've missed? poo poo's getting weird(er). :tinfoil:

I never thought they'd take it this far, but in retrospect, I suppose it was inevitable. Ryan is batshit crazy, and you can't cure schizophrenia by having charming adventures with the neighbor's dog.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Sounds like I need to catch up on Wilfred. Were there any good parts in season 3 I should make sure I see before watching season 4?

The episode with the weird looking girl with the voice was pretty funny. Other than that, not really.

edit: Kristen Schaal

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Fack, he's trolling us all.

Let's not Mock the Weak who think being the Last Man Standing makes them a Person of Interest.

• Locked thread