Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

John Oliver really knows how to use that HBO money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKYPp2Kp6s

The thing is, while John was talking about Assad's iTunes purchases I thought that if I was one of the musicians, I'd do exactly that. And then they did.

Also, that piece John did about FIFA should be required watching for anyone who's interested in the World Cup. Everyone I know, including me, is going to watch it, and yet FIFA as an organization is so despicable that it makes me question my own sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's not really TV-related, but I love the Hatesong feature.

I actually think that's the worst feature they've got. There's never any discussion going on. It's just interviewer and interviewee smugly agreeing that random song X (usually a particularly easy target) "sure does suck, eh"? It's neither funny nor insightful. Ever.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Irish Joe posted:

They don't. Mad Men's 'time jumps' have been a marketing gimmick since the second season and have never impacted the plot in any significant way.

That's bullshit. The whole show is build around the concept of these characters living through a time of sweeping social changes and how they affect (or don't affect) them. In order to portray that, you kinda need time to pass "in universe".

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Pillowpants posted:

I'd stop after 5. It has it's downs but it's ending is really the best way to end the series

Are sure you don't mean season 4? Because season 4 would have been one hell of an end to a show. I can barely even remember even the end of season 5.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Ravane posted:

Boone from Lost.

Neither character nor actor were teenagers though?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Ravane posted:

Character was 20 years old when he died. Just about a teenager.

Wrong. The character was 23 when he died. And if we're expanding the original question to include people in their twenties it becomes meaningless.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Ravane posted:

Where is your God now? :smuggo:

Well, it's certainly not my fault that the guys at Teen People suffer from Dyscalculia.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Bown posted:

Big Bang Theory without the jokes

I know ripping on BBT is more than old hat these days but it's pretty funny how this is less than 90 seconds long

I'm not sure if it's really problematic if your sitcom has lots of jokes in it, so I don't know what this is supposed to demonstrate. And it's not as if the guy hasn't also made videos for Seinfeld and Friends, which are barely any longer.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Selklubber posted:

The only friend Watson has is Sherlock. No army buddies, medschool friends or anything.

Except for all the people at his wedding last season?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Tuxedo Jack posted:

After hearing what you guys have to say about the Leftovers, does anyone know how well it's doing? Especially compared to HBO's other shows?

I don't imagine I could give it another go unless they dove deep into the reasons why those people disappeared, and even then, I'm not sure I'd want to drudge through the mopey stuff. The premise is super-interesting, but the story they chose to tell in this world is not.

It's getting around 1.5-1.7 million viewers per episode, which is quite a bit less than the "hit" shows (Game of Thrones, True Blood, True Detective) get, but a lot more than Girl, Louie (on FX, obviously), Veep or Looking get. Then again, at least Louie is dirt cheap to make, so I don't know if HBO can live with it.

Just to put things into perspective: the reaction on these forums here has been a hell of a lot worse than it's been in other places. Critical response to the show has been pretty good (especially for episode 3 and 6). As a matter of fact, there are a few people around here, including me, who enjoy the show very much. I'd just rather kill myself than venture into that thread again.

And actually I completely disagree with part of what you're saying. I think the story (or stories) they chose to tell is what makes me interested in the show.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 5, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

less laughter posted:

Louie isn't an HBO show

Yep, that was pretty stupid.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

DirtyRobot posted:

Speaking of Outlander, A/V Club gave it an A. :stare: I don't recall actually seeing a solid A for a first season/pilot before.

Todd gave the first season of The Leftovers a solid A on AV Club.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 10, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

hcreight posted:

Here it is, the ultimate TVIV clip: Alison Brie playing a Buffy parody on a failed pilot for a Not Another Teen Movie TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPIVNqJ8K0

"Failed" is an understatement. This is the most embarrassing thing I've seen since that Wonder Woman pilot.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Yeah, I'm not really sure how you could consider Utopia anything but graphic. The torture scene Mu Zeta mentions is the reason why I stopped watching. I admit I'm squeamish about these things, and it IS a great show from everything I've heard. But let's not pretend that it's not violent.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

VagueRant posted:

Other than Tina (who is just weird), I can't really describe any of their personalities. Well made, but not funny enough to warrant the time. Don't really get the hype.

I...I can't make sense of this at all. Are you telling us that Bob, Louise, Gene and Linda don't have clearly defined personalitites? Because that's just not true at all.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Whoever talked about about Only Connect upthread, I've started watching a couple of episodes on YouTube, and it's really good! I'm incredibly bad at the game itself, so I'm often impressed that the contestants actually discover the connections.
And it really is weird that this show has no studio audience. It feels like one of those "Big Bang Theory without the laugh track" YouTube videos in places.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lugaloco posted:

I often suffer with "Guess the Connection" and "Fourth in the Sequence" but I can reliably get a decent amount of points in the "Wall" and "Missing Vowels" rounds. I really don't know how people can score so many points in those first two, they surely have to practise a particular way of thinking.

:colbert:No Audience Supremacy:colbert:

Yeah, I've noticed that the Missing Vowels round is the "easiest" for me as well. Then again, I'm perfectly content with blaming some of my failures on not being British, or at least American. How the gently caress am I supposed to know the name of a British Ice Skating commentator :argh:?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope this means what I think it means

I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up, but Mark Frost tweeted the same thing, so there might actually be something happening.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

That DICK! posted:

I've been watching Chuck recently, mostly out of a lack of shows to watch that I don't have to pay too much attention to. This show is pretty much a decent Garfield comic where my reaction is "huh, alright. I get it."

I don't think I've actually laughed once, the "drama" is boilerplate, and anything focused on the ancillary characters is absolute death. Why do people like this show so much? Is it Miranda?

The answer you're looking for is great chemistry between everyone involved. It gives the show a certain charm that makes it watchable even in episodes when the material is not that great.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I actually agree that the season premiere of Mom was pretty good! It's obvious that the whole eviction thing is going to clear itself up pretty soon, since Christie conveniently just good a wealthy new friend, but they didn't go there in the very fist episode and decide to explore the downsides of Christie's gambling addiction a bit. So that's good right?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Kurtofan posted:

Some series on Wikipedia have articles on each and every episodes, while others have only a few. Is there a rule about this?

Pretty sure that's just a question of people having to put the effort in, and valuable information about single episodes being available at all.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Ravane posted:

There's an indian hosting top chef? I d watch if i weren't so uninterested. So many nods lost.

There would be no nods. She would just look down at you condescendingly. That's just how she rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah I remember it from Charlie Brooker's 2013 wipe.

I'm really looking to his 2014 special, it's great to have one hour a year when you can reflect on how garbage other peoples' television is too.

I was hoping we'd get a new end of year Wipe! BBC2 on 30 December it is!

• Locked thread