Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Deadpool, I laughed a lot at your last post in the previous thread.

I'm finally catching up on season 4 of Shameless. As I've come to expect from it, it's absolutely incredible television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yo Occupation I just read the entirety of your LMS thread and your suffering is pure gold. When ya starting season one?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Just think how much entertainment your sacrifice is bringing all of us.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Also to answer your question legit, i guess, I already started it

Cool (also for you because you're that much closer to being done). Is there a thread yet?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I figured it was obvious when I asked that I looked and couldn't find it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Thanks Deadpool!

E: and occupation e pluribus anus for completing your mod challenges

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Maybe it's because I lowered my expectations to rock-bottom, but I actually enjoyed American Horror Story season 3 a lot! It's silly as gently caress a lot of the time and isn't really that scary, but it's still really entertaining. Why did goons hate it so much?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Because it had zero sense of drama or danger because they kept introducing plot points only to never mention them again and almost every character dies and is brought back from the dead, often multiple times and offscreen with zero fanfare or consequence.

Fair enough, the constant resurrection was pretty dumb. The worst death was Misty's because there wasn't really any reason for her not to be able to do that part of the test. I don't remember any egregious cases of plot points being dropped with no conclusion, though.

SymfonyMan posted:

It's strange when people state the real reason in their question. Not being scary and being really silly was enough for me to not think it was entertaining. I think I phased out by the time that chick was getting raped by a Minotaur or something. Oh boy.

Yeah but silly as gently caress and not scary doesn't mean it's not a fun show. The first couple of seasons also had plenty of humor throughout, they just stuck to the horror a lot more.

xeria posted:

Because it was written with seemingly no real consensus among the writers on what the 'main' arc should be, or who the protagonist should be, or even what the rules of the universe in general should be. Example - the central storyline seems like it wants to be "Who will be the next Supreme?" but the characters and even the show itself have no real idea on what determines this until the penultimate episode when it says, "This is how we pick a Supreme, forget everything that everyone else said before." The way that's handled smacks very much of a collection of writers who introduced an idea and didn't actually bother to flesh it out before they started writing it into episodes, until they got to the end of the season and said, "Whoops, I guess we should figure this out now, huh?"

There are fun and even memorable moments to the season, but the thing as a whole is just sloppy and dumb.

That was pretty consistently the main through-line of the season. We knew that the next Supreme would manifest multiple powers and then do the test, and apart from that it was more about who made more narrative sense to become the Supreme than just picking one of them and being done. The only thing that bothered me about that was that they didn't focus on Cordelia getting more powerful so it was a bit of a left turn on that account when she became the Supreme, even though it made sense considering the character development between her and Fiona.

But again, I had lowered my expectations a lot going in since so many people disliked it, so I was expecting utter poo poo and I got a pretty fun season instead.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

xeria posted:

I'd argue that this was the 'narrative' to the Supreme storyline (granted, from memory):

(first or second episode) "The Supreme is the most powerful witch who can do ALL the powers! We other witches only get one super special power!"
"Also, whenever a new Supreme is on the rise, the old Supreme starts to fade."
"Uh oh, Zoe can do weird poo poo to zombies, she might be the new Supreme!"
"Uh oh, Madison might have new powers, she's probably the new Supreme!"
"Uh oh, Misty can resurrect people, so she's obviously the Supreme!"
"Uh oh, now EVERYONE'S manifesting new powers! Who could possibly be the next Supreme!"
*second to last episode* "Okay, here's how we pick the next Supreme, that's been documented since colonial times, we just needed Fiona to die first before we can figure out who it is."
"Cordelia's the Supreme and now all super confident and proud of being a witch!"

So it turns out everyone can do pretty much every power, they just name the Supreme as whoever fucks up the least when doing the powers test. That's less a consistent narrative and more a desperate need to bait-and-switch the audience over and over and over (on top of a perpetual cycle of killing and raising characters) until finally no one actually cares who the next Supreme is because the show didn't present an even remotely compelling reason TO care.

They lean heavily into a Lalaurie redemption arc, only to pull it at the last minute with, "Haha, nah, she's still real evil."

They kill Queenie on-screen, only to have her apparently resurrect herself off-screen and roll up with a casual, "Hey, I can do that now."

They introduce a character who ends up being THE key to several characters' ultimate fates...in the 9th episode out of 13. His presence isn't even so much as hinted at until Marie Laveau finally name-drops him and immediately he becomes the most important thing in the show.

And like someone said earlier, there was no compelling narrative reason for Misty to get stuck in hell, or Madison to not use any powers at all to stop ZombieTate from choking her out, or Zoe to teleport herself onto spikes, save that it left all the surviving witches holding the bag and going, "Uh, well, I guess it'd have to be Cordelia? Everyone else is dead or unable to un-dead them."

That all doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you watched, but It'd be a stretch at best to call it good.

Thinking back, all of this is true (except the part that Postal Parcel already pointed out), and they're all fair. I still enjoyed the season, but in retrospect it was a lot less cohesive than when I watched it. (I blew through it in just a few days so that could also contribute to having glossed over some of the sloppier aspects. Binging a season is fun but it's easy to overestimate a show's quality since you don't have as much time to think about it in between episodes.)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

xeria posted:

Yeah, that's absolutely true (about binging a season vs watching week-to-week as it airs). Even with all the issues I listed, I still really wanted to like Coven as a whole up until they revealed Misty's fate.

Yeah man that was total bullshit. Her hell was actually horrible and effective and if they'd really established why that would gently caress her up too badly to escape (we knew she was the nature girl but that shouldn't have meant that she would fail there) then it would've been okay. But they didn't so it wasn't.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

God drat it. Hopefully the Fincher one will be good enough to make up for that a little bit.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I just watched the pilot of Gilmore Girls and liked it a lot. Looking forward to seeing how Rory and Lorelei's relationship develops. I imagine that'll be the most interesting part since the driving conflict of the first episode was "does Rory go to a presumably swanky prep school or not."

I hope Jared Padalecki (did I spell that right?) isn't as underwhelming in this as he often is in Supernatural.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Handshakes are the primary vector for disease transmission. I prefer a simple nod.

My doctor encourages people to bump elbows instead of shaking hands. Even though it's practical enough, it's utterly silly, but he's so enthusiastic about it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I believe the phrase "snake-proof suit" comes into play.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Circutron posted:

How the hell is he getting out of the snake, though? This seems like an important part of the plan everyone's glossing over.

Yeah is he just gonna cut his way out of the poor thing or what?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

cool kids inc. posted:

I like Chris Hardwick, Wil Wheaton, and Felicia Day. :shobon:

MONSTER.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

less laughter posted:

I'd laugh until I cried

Your username belies this post.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

How exactly would that work with the audio? I really don't understand.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

That's more the EU's fault for letting countries that practice Mediterranean Accounting onto the team. A brilliant philosopher makes for a terrible accountant.

edit: fun fact, Socrates was arrested for tax fraud

I was about to post an actual response talking about various causes of the financial crisis but then I realized who I was responding to.

e: for something on topic and related to TV, I think Olyphant does a great job playing with subtle differences between similar roles in Deadwood vs. Justified. A whole lotta anger barely beneath the surfaces of both characters gets expressed quite differently.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 26, 2014

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Metropolis posted:

Actually I dunno what Jurassic World is gonna be about. Why are they making another dinosaur park when it literally always goes wrong and people die.

I dunno about you but I don't see corporations learning from their past mistakes very often.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm pretty sure Chris Pratt has tamed a pack of raptors in the new movie and they team up to take down a new genetic experiment so I'm not seeing the problem.

Yeah I know and I'm sold on the movie because of that. I hope it goes balls-out ridiculous.

Rocksicles posted:

^ this guy gets it.

Take your mistrust of the corporate world and shove where there are no trained Raptors.

But my mistrust of the corporate world helps me suspend disbelief for the movie, so I think I'll keep it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I want Chris Pratt to train whatever super-dinosaur they made and then ride that.

e: uh TV chat would probably be a good idea. Deadpool doesn't like movie chat here. I started Gilmore Girls season two and it's still fun. Lorelai calling off the wedding makes sense I guess but it's really weird that Max hasn't showed up in a single scene since she decided not to marry him. Did the actor quit and have to be written out or something?

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 3, 2014

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I haven't encountered Kirk yet.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Oh poo poo wait yeah I just realized who he is.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Spartacus loving owns. Anyone who hasn't watched it should go watch it and should also ignore the fact that the pilot is terrible.

Gonna echo everyone else here and say that Spartacus is awesome. I still need to watch the final season though.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

For what its worth, the final season is a huge improvement on the 2nd and totally worth watching. Everybody brought their A Game for the final season, and it shows.

It wasn't a question of getting tired of the show. Once it got going I was 100% in, I just haven't happened to watch the last season yet. Doesn't help that I've gotten super busy with school.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The last season has Julius Caesar and Marcus Crassus kicking rear end and they are awesome while also being the villains.

That sounds like my kinda poo poo. It's on my to-watch list for sure.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Not to oversell it, there's a cumshot in one of the first few episodes that makes Game of Thrones' cumshot seem downright tasteful.

I've never watched Spartacus because it's tasteful. I didn't watch as much Spartacus as I did because I wanted tasteful TV.

e: that sentence seemed weird

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I wish we got a Julius Caesar spinoff, but then it would just turn into Rome except in the style of Spartacus.

Sold.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Some guy in the CineD thread talked about his stupid dead dog for like three pages and no one made fun of him for being a blubbering baby who doesn't have any real friends. Do we really want that kind of chat thread here?

Yeah gently caress that thread for having a friendly atmosphere.

I finished Gilmore Girls season two and it's still good. I hope the love triangle doesn't get dragged out too long, although I'm 100% sure it will.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

West Wing always had sort of serial through-lines but yeah it was basically episodic.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I frequent a lot of the same threads as Irish Joe, and I agree with him 70% of the time. Then he posts something really dumb and I wonder if I'm an idiot too.

There's about a 70% chance that you are.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Lycus posted:

Hulu (the app, at least) annoys me for the opposite reason. When the last aired episode ends, some other show I don't watch starts up. I've never seen half the shows in the "Shows You Watch" list.

Do you let people you know log onto your Hulu account?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I'm baffled that not everyone has Irish Joe on ignore.

Also, if you insist on responding to him, at least stop quoting him.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Rarity posted:

I can't believe people's understanding of Irish Joe has gone so far from serious to ironic that it's looped right back to serious.

And I thought the magic was lost :allears:

I don't particularly care if he's a deliberate troll or an idiot with lovely opinions, but 90% of the time his posts are annoying as gently caress so I'm not gonna read 'em.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Man you didn't even get to any of the worst books in the series. 10 is loving dire.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

less laughter posted:

This is 100% spot on

Nah it's pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Didn't Prime just add a shitload of HBO shows?

• Locked thread