Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So anyway…the ending of Lost sucked, but the ending of Battlestar Galactica was awesome.

Adventure Time is too complex for its audience, unlike Game of Thrones

Also...the ending of Battlestar Galactica sucked, but the ending of Lost was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Bown posted:

I wondered how long it would take for someone to do that.
Best to get it out of the way early.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Hey guys, we've got incoming. Someone has been chosen to replace me. I'll let them introduce themselves whenever it happens though.
If I introduce myself as the new mod before the actual new mod appears, do I steal their mod powers?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

What if we all claim to be the new mod?

Yeah, and what if we're all Highlanders. :rolleyes:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Goddamnit, I almost had it.

OTOH, good luck with the Game of Thrones thread.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Annakie posted:

*takes notes for mod challenges*

Identify terrible posters who are not me and ban/probate if they don't post in limerick format.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Are you sure I said was quitting in the last thread? I read it differently.
You acquit?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
They're single-cam genre procedurals.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
"Heroes Reborn" should be set in the dystopian future where Peter left his Irish girlfriend. Anything else is bullshit.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Nthing the Utopia recommendation. It looks beautiful, the sound design and music is great, the characters are interesting, and the Sinister Global Plot actually makes sense.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Leftovers was boring and stupid.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Gaiman and Speilberg are both second-rate talents.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Goddrat, The Leftovers is loving terrible on every level. I said it was boring and stupid, but it's even boringer and stupider than that.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The lead actress in Constantine is being replaced.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Two more. He's already toxxed for next season as well.
Was this spur of the moment or have you been waiting weeks to drop this bomb? And was there collusion with the other mods?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Leftovers is loving terrible.

The direction sucks, the cinematography is perfunctory, the music cues are clunky, and the actors sure do get a paycheck. The central mystery adds absolutely nothing to the plot and barely rises to the level of Macguffin. If the story involved a plane crash or a tornado it would be exactly the same, only the tepid drama and tedious characters would be even more obvious so they throw a scifi tarp over the whole mess.

If you try to examine that mystery you're a goony sperglord and should focus on the characters. If you focus on the clichęd characters and their awful dialogue, you're knitpicking and should consider their context in the bigger picture, which if you examine at all, makes you a goony sperglord. It's a shell game with a turd.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Bown posted:

I agree with a lot of what you say but it really has been made insanely clear that nobody should be focusing on the mystery because they don't plan on explaining it ever.
There are a few problems with this line of thinking. The first is that focusing on the character reaction to the mystery without focusing on the mystery itself is highly unlikely. That's why I say it doesn't rise to the level of Macguffin. If an event like that occurred, people would spend most of their time trying to figure it out. If you're going to follow the people who react as though it's any other tragedy or act of nature, why bother with the mystery in the first place?

The second is there are different kinds of mysteries, different ways to not explain them, and different people to not explain them too. Given that it's fiction, any deterministic explanation is it ultimately going to be meaningless, so there's no problem with not explaining that to the audience, but shouldn't the characters be a little more concerned?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Yaoi Mandel posted:

This is a really stupid post and reads like you were consulting a thesaurus.
This post reads like every other post you've made in this and The Leftovers thread.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Also I don't know how cinematography can be "perfunctory" but maybe you meant another word.
Serviceable, nothing special or out of the ordinary, a certain uninspired professionalism.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

That's not what it means.
Go on, then.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

The $10 'P' word you are looking for is pedestrian. Perfunctory means lazy.
They both work.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody hates The Leftovers. They just hate Damon Lindelof.. The show itself is just sorta bland but it's on a premium network so people will talk about it. 5 years from now nobody will remember it like Nip/Tuck.
No, I hate it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

U must be a Dexter hatewatcher.

Why, yes!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The most baffling thing about that is Nathan Lane's name in the url.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
There have been updates.

Ms. Jana Mashonee should probably look into a restraining order.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They'll just trade casts with True Detective.
And use the case of money from No Country for Old Men.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
And voices from the gather crowd shout "Jump! Jump!"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I like Continuum, but it definitely has that mid 90s, syndicated, late-night feel to it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Deadpool posted:

It's the She Spies of Canadian Scifi?
More like Time Trax Toronto.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Orphan Black is like Breaking Bad compared to this.

EDIT: How was that show Charlie Jade? Better or worse than Continuum?

Probably about the same level. While Continuum is late-night 90s TV, Charlie Jade is 80s B-movie rotation.

I don't think these descriptions are actually helpful.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Walking Dead is hamstrung by its focus on Rick Grimes. It's amazing how much the show improves when he's off-screen or unconscious or something.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So, I haven't been following the Couch Chat thread closely lately (or at all) - but I'm popping in to ask a question about The Leftovers. (A quick CTRL-F on this page reveals that I may have come at a bad time...)

Anyway, I just watched the first episode, and it's weird and completely baffling... Do they start slowly digging into "hey why are these people gone" or is it just more weird teenage sex parties and people being mopey and crazy that their neighbor's cousin disappeared? When the episode ended and I saw Lindelof's name come up, I quickly decided that I needed to know if it was going to go anywhere before I continued.

Simply put, do they deal with the mythology or is it a character piece?
It's a character piece, but the characters are boring and stupid and mopey.

The first episode is like Dexter Season 6. It goes downhill from there.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, I'm perfectly happy to admit that The Leftovers is a hard show to like and as such I have zero interest in defending it. But comparing it to Dexter Season Anything? gently caress right off.

No matter how many words you write, no matter how many times you deploy subjective buzzphrases like "leaden dialogue" and "stupid characters" and "ham-fisted storytelling" and how throughly you back those words up, it will not ever change the fact that the show about the effects of a Rapture-like event on humanity as seen through a cross-section of a small town, and the show about a heroic serial killer who kills other serial killers, are alike in only two ways: Both are hourlong programs made for premium networks, and both are shows you don't like. Trying to tie the two together in any other way is going to make you look like a hyperbolic idiot.

"I loving hate The Leftovers. I can accept not having any insight on what happened, but I don't give a poo poo about these lovely people and their lovely attitudes toward their lovely world." Says the exact same thing in a respectable, unimpeachable way, without the sad suspicion that you're trying to score cool points by comparing a so-far critically respected TV series to what's widely regarded as one of the worst seasons of television ever produced.

...God dammit. If SpiderHyphenMan's an rear end in a top hat about Korra, I guess I'm the guy who's an rear end in a top hat about The Leftovers. At least now that Occ's not allowed to talk about it in this thread.
Dexter season 6 had Edward James Olmos as a ghost/hallucination and a dipshit Apocalypse plot with the same pretensions of Importance. I realize it's a cruel comparison, but The Leftovers isn't even hate-watchable like Dexter was. I dropped it after episode 3 and I'm still loving bored.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Unless the lesbians of The L Word all became lumberjacks, it ain't got poo poo on Dexter.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

100,000+ people died in a Tsunami less than a decade ago. People move on.

I just don't get it. Sorry.
A tsunami is a known, explainable event. Someone in the Leftovers thread mentioned a relative whose baby was stolen from the hospital nursery and how that stayed with her her whole life, affecting her more deeply than even the death of other relatives. Not knowing, always trying to imagine what could or should have been is deeply affecting. When that not knowing is compounded by the event being literally impossible, it can easily drive you crazy.

Or you can take up smoking and hulk-smash a toaster for eating your bagel.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I would watch six seasons of Keith David's Carnival of Crime.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Black Jesus and Garfunkel & Oates are good and have potential but seem a bit dated. Garfunkel & Oates especially feels like a Tenacious D analogue.

ShakeZula posted:

Can a show as raunchy as Garfunkel & Oates really be considered twee? Micucci could certainly qualify on her own, but the show itself doesn't really fit the description to me.

Compared to Broad City, Garfunkel & Oates are non-forum-poster twee as gently caress.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

His episode of Louie, where him and Louis C.K. deal with the funeral of a person they both hated yet attended out of obligation, is gonna be such a gut punch now.

Oh man...:smith:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The narration in Outlander is doing all the heavy lifting and it's not particularly good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

Just finished marathoning Don't trust the B. It was actually pretty good. Happy Endings and New Girl were pretty fun watches as well. Any related recommendations?
Broad City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I liked both Jericho and Firefly, but they really should bring back Alphas.

• Locked thread