Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

It's been a long road,
Gettin' from there to here.
It's been a long time,
But my time is finally near.
And I will see my dream come alive at last.
I will touch the sky.
And they're not gonna to hold me down no more.
No, they're not gonna to change my mind.
'Cause I've got faith of the heart.
I'm going where my heart will take me.
I've got faith to believe.
I can do any-thing.

On the one hand there's this, on the other hand there's the evil alternate dimension intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Boogaleeboo posted:

There is always that period shortly after someone brings up Perfect Strangers where I remember that Family Matters was a spin off show from it, and it blows my mind. Every single time.

I still don't get how moving from a house to an apartment is "moving on up" for the Jeffersons. Did Archie Bunker live in a really bad neighborhood or something?

DaveWoo posted:

What really amazes me about Family Matters is how it went from being a down-to-earth, Cobsy-esque family show in its early seasons to having poo poo like robots and clones and time travel in its later seasons.

Well, Urkel was originally just supposed to be a wacky recurring neighbor character and not the main character, so I don't think much happened as planned with that show.

PriorMarcus posted:

Both of these are the versions I know. House and Dawson's Creek in the UK have always had different opening music. I always knew Dawson's Creek was different, but I had no idea until now that House wasn't the original.

The UK airings of US Kitchen Nightmares episodes also have some weird replacement music as opposed to the Black Eyed Peas' mangling of Miserlou.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 29, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Plus the full lyric is "moving on up to the East side."

Yes, I get that, but that doesn't change the fact that it implies that the move is to a better place. And maybe it's because I grew up in the suburbs but I can't imagine an apartment being better than a proper house unless it's a really nice apartment or a really lovely house, and the Jeffersons' apartment didn't seem all that great.

Is there some implication to "the East side" that I've never caught on to?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ah, well that makes sense.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

That's impossible, he makes that one cartoon I don't like.

CaptainHollywood posted:

While it did fit the "Family Matters" "Step-By-Step" mould- what really separated it from the pack was that it always felt grounded and at the same time it never stunted the characters and it had them literally grow up. It was Saved By the Bell without 'trying' to be hip and a lot less saccharine storytelling. While everyone wanted to be Zack- everyone was Cory. I think it was the "average-ness" that was so appealing to people.

You can try and sell me the idea that your average joe ends up with a Topanga, but I ain't buyin' it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Are they still under the same dome this season? If not, what happened to the first dome?

It's a snowglobe this time. Turns out this is a prequel to St. Elsewhere.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Remember how we were all like "Pfffff that ancient Egypt show on Fox is gonna get so loving cancelled". Well it did already.

I can't remember if I ever knew that show existed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ravane posted:

This is the most coherent thing I've heard all day from this forum. We're culpable of many things but we should strive to be as honest as possible, like in "The Invention of Lying." Posting your mind doesn't make you a troll or even a bad person, it's merely a different perspective in a world that is dyed grey. There is no black and white when it comes to opinion, so simply following a bandwagon approach and dismissing Irish Joe's insight is an ignorant choice. It's alright to have different opinions. We're not debating evolution here, it's just tv. There are no factual insights.

And here we are with the wannabe puppetmaster gimmick jumping to his defense. :allears:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I... don't think I want to watch any more of that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yeah it was The New Normal that a NBC affiliate refused to air

And let's be honest, they had the right idea if for the wrong reasons.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fooz posted:

Man Nathan for You is super weird.

The best episodes are when the person he's trying to "help" are so much weirder than he is that he's visibly baffled by them. The best example of this is the end of the gas station rebate episode.

http://www.cc.com/episodes/z5sar1/nathan-for-you-gas-station-caricature-artist-season-1-ep-103

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What channel does Billy on the Street come on? That's a show that almost never fails to keep me laughing constantly but I can never remember when it comes on or what channel and my dvr seems to dislike recording it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Are there really people that would argue that Chris Hardwick is funny on his own?

Decius posted:

Hardwick got a lot more bearable in the last 1-2 years. He was really, really obnoxious regularly on the Nerdist podcast before.

I never listened to the podcast but I tried watching the TV show once or twice and I was never able to make it through an entire episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Key is like the black Fred Armisen.

I know his last two notable roles before Key & Peele were Mad TV and some funny animal video clip show on Animal Planet, but come on, comparing him to Fred Armisen is a bit harsh don't you think?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

Key and Peele isn't improv though. They have the luxury of being able to spend as much time as they want writing their sketches so there should be more humor to it than just one little thing. When Chappelle did stuff like the black Klan member, there were other jokes and wordplay interlaced throughout. In comparison, Key and Peele do a sketch about how baseball players like to slap each others asses and, like you said, just keep escalating that one concept. There isn't really anything else to it, it's just increasing the absurdity of the one joke.

To continue with the Baseball sketch example: the sketch is probably around 6 minutes long. It starts with the guy wanting to slap someone's rear end, then his teammates get mad at him about it. They continue to get madder until they drag him away. There's nothing really "funny" about it other than the guy being really obsessed with slapping rear end.

Who cares if it's not the same style as Chappelle, not every comedy show with black actors has to follow his lead. It's okay to not like the joke, but if you don't think even Chappelle's Show had its bombs then you have some serious rose-colored glasses going on.

It's possible to enjoy both for different reasons, I like how Key and Peele is unapologetically absurd and retarded because it kind of reminds me of the good seasons of In Living Color.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

I'm not comparing it to Chappelle show because they're both hosted by black comedians. I'm comparing it to Chappelle show because it is a sketch comedy show, interspersed with stage dialogue/monologues and it's actually pretty watchable (unlike Mind of Mencia.) And yeah, the Chappelle Show definitely had bombs. They were just far more rare.

Really, I don't think it's a bad show, it's generally pretty watchable. I just don't think it's really worthy of the level of praise it gets.

Okay, that's fair. Just that the last time a comparison came up between the two people were criticizing K&P for not being "threatening" enough, which is a concept that really grinds my loving gears.

To add to the list, the Magical Negro wizard battle sketch was loving hilarious too.
http://vimeo.com/channels/keypeele/39116336

Bown posted:

I really don't get the popularity of these. "Look at all these funny phrases and imagine they were names! Because football players have funny names!"

It's because despite the names becoming more and more ridiculous, they're still not as ridiculous as some actual players' names.

I like the sequel because references to the Super Bowl Shuffle are never not funny to me.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yes, that is the first episode, it actually got better after that.

Let's be real, it only gets "better" in the way that Agents of SHIELD got "better" after the Captain America tie-in. Which is to say, "not that much unless you want to actively fool yourself."

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 9, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MrAristocrates posted:

Apparently this is premiering on NBC tomorrow, and all I can think of is this.

I find absolutely everything about this image offensive.

It's "4:30 on a Friday" in picture form.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm more surprised there's no been outrage over everyone's favourite Orphan not being nominated for the amazing talent of being able to act multiple characters at an acceptable level of talent.

Seems to me that it's more common for people to get upset over the idea that other people dare to enjoy a pretty good actress in a pretty good show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Eezee posted:

How can Big Bang theory and Modern Family be nominated together with Silicon Valley, Veep, 'Louis' and OitnB?

The latter of those shows are so vastly superior to the first two, it's not even funny. If Modern Family wins again that's just more proof that those award shows are bullshit.

Award shows are basically extended industry jerk-off sessions / advertisements for the actors and shows that win. Just keep that in mind next time you find yourself getting upset about them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

John Malkovich as Blackbeard was the only thing that made people aware of the existence of Crossbones, so NBC is continuing that tradition by casting Christopher Walken to play Captain Hook for their Peter Pan telecast..

That should be... interesting, at least.
What's Tim Curry doing these days? He did a pretty awesome voice for Captain Hook on that 90's Fox cartoon, and wasn't he also in Muppet Treasure Island?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sounds like I need to catch up on Wilfred. Were there any good parts in season 3 I should make sure I see before watching season 4? I watched the first half or so back when it was airing before I got bored of it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I was just watching Whose Line, and they had an ad for a show premiering right now called Seed.

The tagline is "Fifteen years after donating sperm, Harry Dacosta is about to get a load of fatherhood."

I'm not sure if this is the best or worst tagline I've ever heard.

Burst? West?

Sounds like a prequel series for Jane The Virgin.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Also, no idea who this guy is since I don't watch the show but Brooks Wheelan has announced that he was fired from SNL.

I do watch the show and I'm not sure who he is, so it's probably justified.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Deadpool posted:

Last month Kacy Catanzaro became the first woman to ever beat the City Qualifier on American Ninja Warrior and in the process the first woman to ever make it up the Warped Wall in competition. This week she was in the City Finals and she was loving amazing. There's no Youtube video of it but instead here's a Dailymotion video. It's pretty goddamn awesome.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21hgrx_kacy-catanzaro-american-ninja-warrior-dallas-finals_sport

I saw that last night. She beasted the poo poo out of that course.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ravane posted:

Fack, he's trolling us all.

Let's not rule out the possibility that he's merely been driven insane from prolonged Tim Allen exposure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This. I've never seen this show, I didn't even know it existed. And now holy gently caress. I checked out some other videos and that first one has ruined it for me. Nothing else is close.

See if you can find any clips of the original Japanese one, it's called "Sasuke" but was aired for years on G4 as "Ninja Warrior" before they started making the American one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

They still do the Japanese one. The American one is a qualifier to get there.

I know they still do the Japanese one but the American one is a totally separate thing on its own now, IIRC when they started showing it in primetime a couple years ago I think Sasuke was actually at risk of being cancelled. I think ANW was only a qualifier for like the first year or two it existed when they had it on G4 and it sucked and nobody gave a poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, that's dumb.

Airfare should be cheaper than building the whole course. I guess they don't want anyone to see how badly Americans do comparatively..

They actually did an episode a few weeks ago where the best American players ran through each stage of the full course against the best Japanese players, and the Americans stomped them into the loving ground.

I haven't seen Sasuke in a few seasons so I don't know how comparatively insane their courses have gotten though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

No, the things from Wipeout in the gif posted a few posts up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

Who's yer favorite L&O ADA? Mine's Liz Rohm.

Mine's the one on SVU that started out as a rapist.

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Do you idiots need constant explosions and sword fights to be entertained? Jesus

Is "yes" the wrong answer...? :ohdear:

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 15, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I read was that they were all first years, apparently their being harsher culling people who don't excel right out of the gate.

It's nothing new, and not entirely surprising considering how huge the cast had become. Some people have done well after being cut from SNL.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So this is a thing that's premiering tonight on VH1: "Dating Naked."

I guess I have to hand it to them for taking dating reality shows to their logical conclusion. I look forward to the brave new world of reality shows with a "naked people" twist that Naked and Afraid has heralded upon us.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

comes along bort posted:

You'd think that'd be where they'd want to focus since neither Google nor Apple have a major foothold in video games, and those things still make money.

Yeah, but nobody gives a poo poo about a Halo TV series.

Deadpool posted:

And now the world is falling apart. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Who knew that "naked reality shows" would be the thing to break the seventh seal.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 17, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

are we still in the 1900s you stupid piece of poo poo

The real disaster is that Chris Jericho kept that goddamned "Y2J" gimmick going for so long.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MrAristocrates posted:

Crash Team Racing is better than Mario Kart and always has been.

True facts right here. Did they ever make another one after Crash Nitro Kart? Because that one was not quite as good if I recall.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

But you forget, we are the generation of Glee. We should all have at least some appreciation of classic Broadway.

I've avoided Glee at all costs but the commercials all gave me the impression that it was all lovely covers of current pop music that were barely a few steps above Kidz Bop.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Well, the Science Channel, which was supposed to be the "hard science" Discovery network when the flagship channel started turning into homogenized poo poo, now shows science fiction, so it's like really how much further down can you go.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

Logo has been running a Don't Trust The B___ in Apartment 23 marathon and drat I missed this.

Isn't that on Netflix or something by now?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, but I'd held off on binging until I get the correct episode order written down somewhere.

Speaking of which, they capped the marathon with one of the unaired episodes- which I could tell from the story arc and Chloe's characterization was from the first season and rather early to boot. ABC started loving with this show from Day One, didn't they?

Yeah, I think at least one of the episodes they aired as part of the second season was supposed to be part of the first.

Wikipedia articles are usually a good source of episode listings / orders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Trust_the_B

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MrAristocrates posted:

That actually sounds really interesting to me, going with a Tarantino-esque vague "pastness" rather than sticking to a specific era.

Doesn't sound that different from what they did with Batman TAS. (beaten, naturally)

Somehow I think that will be the least of the problems with Gotham.

• Locked thread