Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Review is great all the way thru, but Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes is Emmy-quality television and makes all the other episodes pale in comparison. As glad as I am to have a 2nd season, I can't imagine anything topping that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

xcore posted:

I started watching Review based off a podcast recommendation and I'm quite enjoying it. Do comedy central have any other shows worth watching?

Really? Well I suggest starting with Nathan For You and Broad City. Workaholics, Inside Amy Schumer, Key and Peele, @midnight are all great too but definetly start with the first 2.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

xcore posted:

Was your incredulation aimed at the fact I liked Review or that I didn't know that there was anything worth watching on Comedy Central? I'm an Aussie and don't get Comedy Central, the only things I've seen from them are The Daily Show/Colbert and South Park. I've heard good things about Workaholics, I'll check that out first.

The latter. I'm a typical American and usually forget there are countries out there that aren't USA! USA!

For non-American's, Comedy Central has been on fire lately and has greenlit (and renewed) a lot of good shows. Being a cable network they can really go for niche, unusual programming that broadcast networks wouldn't touch with a 10 ft poll. Funny enough, I don't know if your aware but Review is based on an Australian show of the same name, which I have not seen.

To elaborate on some of my choices:

Broad City and Inside Amy Schumer are great comedies with a clear female voice. The analogy I like to use is if Workaholics is Entourage, then Broad City is Sex and the City...except both are actually way better. Workaholics does have a few shaky bits in the latter seasons but I still recommend it all the way through. I'd call Broad City the next step in female buddy comedies as it features a very realistic relationship between the leads as they try to navigate the perils of life in New York City. I was a 2 Broke Girls apologist for years until Broad City came along, now I'll never go back...sorry Irish Joe.

Nathan For You is unlike anything else on tv. It falls somewhere between prank show, sketch comedy and reality TV but that description doesn't do it justice. Nathan Fielder goes to various small business and offers them creative solutions to drum up business. Every episode is gold, but this is the sketch I would use to introduce someone to the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUY_i5Tco68

@midnight is a panel show that 'gets' the internet. Funny people say funny things about funny cat videos.

Finally I'd also add Drunk History to that list. Drunk people retell historic events in American History and it's recreated by top quality actors. Started out as a web series and it's much better than my description can give it credit for.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ravane posted:

Imo, Key and Peele's best sketch is Inner-City Wizard School: http://vimeo.com/channels/keypeele/54162829

Or Continental Breakfast.

This is my other favorite sketch, for as dumb as the premise is, I can't help but laugh everytime I see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss College East/West Bowl, and the sequel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1nGjGM2p8

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rarity posted:

What happened to you, Irish Joe?

I think it his account must have been hijacked. The poster formerly known as Irish Joe was always a 2 Broke Girls biggest supporter and even though I've only seen a few episodes from this season, I can honestly say I did not notice any decline in the show quality.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
American Ninja Warrior is Wipeout! taken seriously.

And to put some more perspective, Kacy Catanzaro is 5 ft tall about 100 lbs. Every man compete ting is taller than her by at least 6 inches, and some are well over 6 feet so the amount of reach they have over her is insane. For about half the obstacles such as the warped wall, tilting frames and gauntlet of stripper poles, not having that extra several inches of reach is an insane disadvantage.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Her IMDB is a mile long, but I'll always remember her as Colleen Donaghy.

"Tell him his mother's here. An' she loves him. But not in a queer way. "

"What are my chums at the Death Shore Retirement communnity gonna say when I tell them that my unmarried son has knocked up a prostetant?"

"...numbers, unlike children, don't lie!"

The Nastier Nate fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 18, 2014

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'm only a few minutes into The Quest but it's already a tough sell. The producers went to great lengths not to cast a single sweaty LARP neckbeard in their LARP reality show, in fact just about everyone is downright attractive. I know it's TV but....MY IMMERSION!

And why is everyone a Paladin? Can we get a couple fighters or clerics or magic-users up in here? I'd hate to be in the D&D group where everyone is the same class.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Aphrodite posted:

The Quest.

It started off really slow and awkward but the challenges were actually kind of cool, and I want to give ABC credit for not half-assing the production values. It is cheesy at times, but it has a lot of potential. I set the series to record so that's pretty close to a ringing endorsement.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

ShakeZula posted:

I really liked the first two, haven't seen this week's yet. I think it and Married are a solid block.

I watched the pilot of You're the Worst and couldn't get into it. It felt like the epitome of "trying to hard".

Married on the other hand I like. Nat Flaxon plays a pretty good every-defeated-married-guy-ever and is a pretty big rear end in a top hat. Judy Greer is great in everything she does, and having Jenny Slate around dosen't hurt. It's not amazing or even extremely funny, but it's definitely....solid.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

sbaldrick posted:

Everyone went into Married thinking it would be the be better show based on the cast but it just isn't, it's lacking something that Your the Worst seems to nail.

I've been thinking the opposite. The pilot of Married was so-so (the end was fantastic though where Russ tells the obviously mentally unstable woman that the dog named after her unborn son was hit by a car) but the subsequent episodes really gave Judy Greer a chance to shine and continues in the FX tradition of showcasing the lives of average terrible people. Faxon and Greer have great chemistry as an old married couple who may be sick of each other but really are best friends and a great fit. Brett Gelmen, Jenny Slate (even Paul Reiser) are great too.

Maybe I just like Married alot more because I'm a lot closer to Russ and Lina (in my 30's, married for 5 years) then Jimmy and Gretchen but I feel like You're the Worst is the definition of trying to hard. Yes Jimmy and Gretchen are both emotionally hosed up, they hit you over the head with it non-stop. I like You're the Worst, but it doesn't resonate as much with me as Married does.

I also have a distaste for relationship shows that start off on day 1. They always try to show fake conflict where the lead couple might break up - except you know they won't because that's literally the base of the show. On Married, Russ and Lina's relationship surviving isn't an issue, we know they aren't going to get divorced (unless it's a series finale) so other ideas are explored with real potential consequences.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Party Plane Jones posted:

Lost's pilot cost so much it got the head of the network removed for greenlighting it though.

I hope they retroactively went back and gave him a big fat apology muffin basket after it turned out to be a hit at least.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

raditts posted:

American Ninja Warrior is doing their international episode again tonight, and once again the Japanese team is getting thoroughly embarrassed. Of course there is a European team this time that is beating both USA and Japan right now. Do they even air this show in Europe?

It feels unfair, as the Japanese team combined is probably about 3 ft shorter than the Americans and Europeans. The smallest guy was 5'3, 115 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Not entirely surprising, but good to hear:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/18/tbs-american-dad-more-episodes/

TBS orders another season of American Dad.

Now if we can only get them to revive The Cleveland Show we'll be set...

• Locked thread