Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm at the point of no return in Arc Twilight of the Spirits (not actually in the dungeon yet, grinding for money for better equipment first) and so far the biggest cliche that I was expecting to happen hasn't happened, because neither Kharg not Darc or anyone in their respective parties has learned a drat thing which is very interesting.

They have both been told that their mutual hatred for one another's people is going to wake up a bigger baddie that will kill everything, and yet the only reason the game doesn't end with a genocide, or hasn't yet, is that that bigger baddie took away the weapon they were planning on doing it with and is about to turn it on both sets of people. Every time they learn something new that should recontextualise their existence and give them something to think about, they just turn it on each other as reasons it's "Their fault!" so the whole story is just this scene from Into the Woods for 30 hours (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUb64O-BIsE), and everyone's now about to get eaten by the metaphorical giants.

I will be fair in that some characters have very genuine hang ups about one another that they shouldn't have to be expected to forgive because actual crimes were committed, but the overall picture still completely eludes them.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CJacobs posted:

Syphon Filter has linear levels that branch into paths you can take to the objective and it's real cool how there is mission dialogue for every approach. If you double back and take the different path you aren't given a redundant briefing. Detailed for a PS1 game!

The controls and lock-on shooting also hold up impeccably well. Coming up with a third person shooter control scheme on 0 analog sticks must have been brutal. It all came out feeling so fluid though.

edit: Also, the legendary taser will not hesitate to set you on fire as well as your enemy

I was just backgrounding the Syphon Filter series LPs while doing other stuff. :tinfoil: Did make me wanna replay them though, I rented 1 and 2 from blockbuster what must have been a dozen times each as a teen.

Marcade posted:

That taser went on to have a long career as a T-Zero enforcer.

YOU HAVE UNLOCKED

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That sounds like the most realistic reaction to being told things I've ever heard.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I'm just happy Bio is playing a game I own. He didn't wish a game into being this time around.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm at the point where they finally learned the lesson, because the final dungeon shuffled the parties so they were forced to fight together. They still have bad blood individually, but they've gotten over themselves enough to ignore it for the sake of their common goal. Very satisfying to have the full list of characters in one menu now.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Marcade posted:

I'm just happy Bio is playing a game I own. He didn't wish a game into being this time around.

You didn’t own it until he mentioned it, and then you had always owned it.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

...in that case, any chance you could start playing Dark Cloud 3, Bio?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Marcade posted:

...in that case, any chance you could start playing Dark Cloud 3, Bio?

That's basically Dragon Quest Builders TBH. Those games are practically Dark Cloud meets Minecraft as you build each town to certain characters specifications and then attract more characters as you do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm at the point of no return in Arc Twilight of the Spirits (not actually in the dungeon yet, grinding for money for better equipment first) and so far the biggest cliche that I was expecting to happen hasn't happened, because neither Kharg not Darc or anyone in their respective parties has learned a drat thing which is very interesting.

They have both been told that their mutual hatred for one another's people is going to wake up a bigger baddie that will kill everything, and yet the only reason the game doesn't end with a genocide, or hasn't yet, is that that bigger baddie took away the weapon they were planning on doing it with and is about to turn it on both sets of people. Every time they learn something new that should recontextualise their existence and give them something to think about, they just turn it on each other as reasons it's "Their fault!" so the whole story is just this scene from Into the Woods for 30 hours (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUb64O-BIsE), and everyone's now about to get eaten by the metaphorical giants.

I will be fair in that some characters have very genuine hang ups about one another that they shouldn't have to be expected to forgive because actual crimes were committed, but the overall picture still completely eludes them.

:stare: