Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could argue that taking Confirmed Bachelor while being too dense to understand the nuance is intended to make you weigh your perk choices as committing to actual legitimate traits of your character. Like your guy can always be gay if you want 'em to be without taking the perk, nobody is stopping you, but the perk is there so you can mark it down so the game is aware you want them to be. Game's got no way to know what you intend for your character outside the dialogue options, y'know?

edit: This then opens up lots of different cans of worms about assuming straightness as the default player avatar and well the game came out in 2010 and games which offer these kinds of choices have learned to not really do that anymore :shrug:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:05 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
BROUGHT TO YOU BY MONTANA RECREATIONS

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kitfox88 posted:

BROUGHT TO YOU BY MONTANA RECREATIONS

the noble moose

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Does it help to think of those perks as coming out as opposed to becoming gay? Like your character isn't default straight at level 1, they're just not comfortable expressing their sexuality.

I'm not gay, so feel free to tell me that's the dumbest take to have.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jeza posted:

Yeah, it's probably the only halfway believable romance in a game I've played. Witcher 3 gets touted for being amazing for a lot of reasons, but the transcreation/adaptation writing teams (at least for English, no idea elsewhere) did an incredible job. You'd never know it wasn't written from the ground up in English, honestly. And the voicework helps to nail it, too.

Witcher 3 has been on my list forever, and I'm a sucker for romance stuff so this definitely intrigues me. I just can't get into the combat at all, it feels so clunky whenever I've tried to play it

Maybe the remaster will make it feel a little smoother, or I guess I could just stick it on the easiest difficulty and steamroll my way through the game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rydiafan posted:

Does it help to think of those perks as coming out as opposed to becoming gay? Like your character isn't default straight at level 1, they're just not comfortable expressing their sexuality.

This was iirc the official explanation for what taking the perk means for your guy/gal reoleplay-wise, or internal acceptance of their identity or something like that. Still not the best but that's more charitable than the crazy people itt who interpret it as an "i am gay now" button

edit: Well less so itt and more as a remnant of Fallout NV discussion I guess, that poo poo really was weirdly prevalent in the thread in Games. People here legitimately misunderstood that perk.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I guess I could just stick it on the easiest difficulty and steamroll my way through the game

Frankly, I would highly recommend this. I played a billion hours of Witcher 3, and none of my fond memories are about combat. The story and the shocking amount of changes your choices can make to it are what makes the game a masterpiece. The entire Bloody Baron questline could have zero combat and it'd still be one of my favorite things ever.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I took the straight white dude trait which allows me to wear jorts with my socks and sandals.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I'm being slow today but I'm realizing part of the problem is that Lady Killer and Black Widow carry much more clear cut connotations about the purpose of those perks - using your sexuality as a weapon or to otherwise gain an advantage. And I guess that's what the name Cherchez La Femme is playing at. But then you get to Confirmed Bachelor and it's like, wait, what?

And then in practice the actual perks give you a weird mix of "sure Benny let's gently caress, I'm totally into men who shoot me in the head :wink:" creative problem solving options, some "no really let's just bang just to bang" options, and then some benign "yup, I sure am gay/straight" or "sorry, you're barking up the wrong tree" type dialogue choices. These things should not be all lumped together.

Why not? I don’t understand your point.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Anyway I'm generally pretty neutral on relationship stuff in games. It's usually pretty unrealistic, but so is literally everything else. I guess the only thing that really bothers me is if something is aggressively exploitative or attempting to be titillating, but that's honestly not a big problem in most of the games I play.

Like idk, everyone always uses the sex scenes in Mass Effect as an example and like, I wouldn't say they're a fundamental and necessary part of the games and they would be all the poorer if they weren't there, but I also don't find them cringey or embarrassing or whatever either. Now on the other hand, the fact that the Asari are a race of omnisexual female-presenting nymphs who, by the way, mature into hot space MILFs...yeah, that's where I wince because it's just so blatant. Flirting with Kaidan and then subsequently banging him in tasteful mood lighting doesn't really compare.

rydiafan posted:

It's not a dumb take, but I wouldn't say that line of thinking works for me, no.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Witcher 3 has been on my list forever, and I'm a sucker for romance stuff so this definitely intrigues me. I just can't get into the combat at all, it feels so clunky whenever I've tried to play it

Maybe the remaster will make it feel a little smoother, or I guess I could just stick it on the easiest difficulty and steamroll my way through the game

Yeah, the combat isn't going to wow anyone. It's functional at best, but still, you get into the swing of it as you play and can tailor how you go about it (i.e. less about swords if you find the swordplay too clunky, you can lean into the magic system etc.). I agree with rydiafan that there's little to be lost if you just tune the difficulty down. You can always turn it up again should you decide you want more of a challenge.

In general though, the abiding impressions games leave mostly doesn't revolve around the mechanics (at least, in RPGs) but rather the experiences, the world and the story. The original Fallouts and Infinity Engine games like Planescape play like clunky garbage now but are still remembered rightly as being great because of everything else.

There's no question in my mind at least that W3 is in the pantheon of the greatest games ever written. And combined with the over-arching worldbuilding, the characters and the sheer level of detail, one of the greatest games in general. Maybe just flat-out the best, which is part and parcel why the expectations for Cyberpunk were into the stratosphere.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ariong posted:

Why not? I don’t understand your point.

Uh, conflating general sexuality stuff with "oh and by the way I lure people in with my charm so I can kill them easier" is a really loving bad look?

Edit: And it just circles back around to my original complaint which is that forcing me to take a perk in order to express my character's sexuality is really off-putting. It's intertwining a very much non-mechanical element of my character with a very mechanical system and then also blurring several different concepts together with a muddled end result.

Edit2: Also you originally argued that the perks were for speccing into being flirty and charismatic and I'm saying that isn't strictly true and that's part of the problem.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 16:00 on May 5, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Jeza posted:

In general though, the abiding impressions games leave mostly doesn't revolve around the mechanics (at least, in RPGs) but rather the experiences, the world and the story. The original Fallouts and Infinity Engine games like Planescape play like clunky garbage now but are still remembered rightly as being great because of everything else.

Also it's not like there was better back then. They were (mostly) improvements upon earlier systems.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still get an issue late in the game where the protagonist runs everywhere on one click.

this happened to me and I realized I had fat-fingered capslock, which toggles between click-to-walk and click-to-run

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Taerkar posted:

Also it's not like there was better back then. They were (mostly) improvements upon earlier systems.

Yeah, of course. Everything has been iterated a thousand times since, budgets and teams are bigger, the enabling technology is infinitely more advanced - both in terms of ease of design and for the end-user. In 20-30 years time, the gameplay of the cutting edge modern games of today will undoubtedly seem archaic and clunky in retrospect.

The games that people will remember are the ones with a narrative or aesthetic core that shines despite the gameplay, not because of it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Can't agree with this - there are plenty of games including RPGs that had great gameplay before Fallout 1, its combat (etc) was bad at the time and is bad now

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

This is worth doing. The story and quest acting is the biggest strength of the game and shouldn’t be missed, so just faceroll the gameplay on easy mode

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Uh, conflating general sexuality stuff with "oh and by the way I lure people in with my charm so I can kill them easier" is a really loving bad look?

Edit: And it just circles back around to my original complaint which is that forcing me to take a perk in order to express my character's sexuality is really off-putting. It's intertwining a very much non-mechanical element of my character with a very mechanical system and then also blurring several different concepts together with a muddled end result.

Edit2: Also you originally argued that the perks were for speccing into being flirty and charismatic and I'm saying that isn't strictly true and that's part of the problem.

Yeah I think the problem you've identified comes down to the fact that Ladykiller/Black Widow were absolutely meant to be "you are charismatic and flirty" not "you are straight," because FO3 operated under the assumption that you were straight anyway. And then it gets a bit weird if you assume that Confirmed Bachelor/Cherchez La Femme mean literally "you are gay/bi" because mechanically they work the same way as the original perks. It makes more sense if you assume picking any one of those perks is opting into "flirty and charismatic" spec, and it's just giving you the option as to who you want to flirt with, but then that does conflict with the times when you don't really flirt with anyone but just unlock extra dialogue options. It's an imperfect fix for an imperfect system.

My assumption re: the damage bonus has always been that you're just so fine that it's distracting, not that you're specifically luring people in with your charms.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

small ghost posted:

My assumption re: the damage bonus has always been that you're just so fine that it's distracting, not that you're specifically luring people in with your charms.

I was more referring to the "talk Benny into bed so you can stab him in the back" stuff and the general connotations of the perk names but all the same I don't think that interpretation quite works either. I'm gay so every guy in the Mojave is distracted by how hot I am? That seems rather backwards. :v:

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 17:18 on May 5, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I was more referring to the "talk Benny into bed so you can stab him in the back" stuff and the general connotations of the perk names but all the same I don't think that interpretation quite works either. I'm gay so every guy in the Mojave is distracted by how hot I am? That seems rather backwards. :v:

Seems right to me. :wink:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Clearly everyone else in the Mojave has excellent gaydar and is also bi, and the moment they realise they're in with a chance they get all bashful.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It feels like the entire design of the perks started with Lady Killer being a joke on the double meaning without much further thought put into how potentially contradictory and weird that is and then everything spiraled out of control from there. (Though in the broad strokes a perk effect being vague and abstract isn't exactly unique to them.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've been replaying old SNES-era FFs lately. My favorite little thing in the DQ series is fast travel, specifically via a spell you learn at a given level. Dragon Quest has had Return/Zoom from the very beginning. It is a downright slog traveling between locations in FF4 and 5, even when I'm playing Free Enterprise and have an airship at my beck and call from the very beginning.

Related favorite thing is that, because Zoom propels you upward toward your destination, you can't cast it inside or you'll hit your head on the ceiling. :3: Kind of like in Earthbound, where you need enough room to run straight for a given distance or to run in circles of a given diameter or your Teleport will fail.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

It feels like the entire design of the perks started with Lady Killer being a joke on the double meaning without much further thought put into how potentially contradictory and weird that is and then everything spiraled out of control from there. (Though in the broad strokes a perk effect being vague and abstract isn't exactly unique to them.)

Yeah, basically. They're supposed to be perks that make you a James Bond/Black Widow archetype.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

I've been replaying old SNES-era FFs lately. My favorite little thing in the DQ series is fast travel, specifically via a spell you learn at a given level. Dragon Quest has had Return/Zoom from the very beginning. It is a downright slog traveling between locations in FF4 and 5, even when I'm playing Free Enterprise and have an airship at my beck and call from the very beginning.

Related favorite thing is that, because Zoom propels you upward toward your destination, you can't cast it inside or you'll hit your head on the ceiling. :3: Kind of like in Earthbound, where you need enough room to run straight for a given distance or to run in circles of a given diameter or your Teleport will fail.

I introduced my GF to the Dragon Quest series last year and sitting there waiting for her to cast Zoom indoors for the first time was unbearable :D

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Bit late to this, but if you haven't played it I would also highly, highly recommend Haven as a game that centers around a believable relationship.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When I got the Disco Elysium running dialog, I figured that had only happened because it's an analog stick control game that makes it hard to not run and on PC it would have been click to move and you had to make a conscious effort to always run.

I'm very glad that Who am I? was the very last dialog option I picked in the last conversation before ending the game, because that particular reveal being the very last one was perfect

My favorite thing in the whole game, though, is the thought that makes you an insufferable art nerd but gives you -2 to Suggestion, tagged with the explanation "pretentious wanker".

Necrothatcher posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey's love mechanic is basically "wanna gently caress?", which is much less creepy than having to bring them 10 wolf fangs or whatever.

The funny thing is, that's literally what the "romance" options in Saints Row 4 are, except back then it was intended as a joke.

HEY KINZIE WANNA gently caress

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Keith David won't put out the prude

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Push El Burrito posted:

I took the straight white dude trait which allows me to wear jorts with my socks and sandals.

It's called "Dadbod" and dammit I need to rethink my real life perk choices.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I picked the one that marks every enemy in the vicinity the moment someone touches the thermostat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I dual-classed as karen for the bonus to summon manager

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I hosed the skeleton as a lizard man in Divinity 2.

Good game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

haveblue posted:

My favorite thing in the whole game, though, is the thought that makes you an insufferable art nerd but gives you -2 to Suggestion, tagged with the explanation "pretentious wanker".

Wompty Dompty Dom?!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cythereal posted:

As long as you never buy the DLC. In which case you have two choices: either she's not gay, or she's down for heterosexuality in the name of magic eugenics, which you might recognize as the motives of the bad guys of the game.

We get it, you vape hate the Odyssey DLC.

Content: One of the bosses in God Hand is a gorilla luchador, but it's not actually a gorilla. There's a zipper on the back!

Also the generic enemies keep quoting Mike Tyson for some reason.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, Wompty-Dompty Dom Centre is one that gives you the suggestion penalty, the Art Degree thought gives you a -1 to Hand/Eye coordination because your hands are literally shaking with rage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Sure do!

I've been playing Starcraft: Mass Recall recently, a complete remake of Starcraft 1 in the Starcraft 2 engine, available as a mod with the free version of Starcraft 2, and one thing that's standing out to me is the art direction. The map makers for Mass Recall are superb, and really get a lot of mileage out of the far more powerful and varied map engine in Starcraft 2. The urban maps and installation maps are particular standouts, doubly so in Brood War. Starcraft 1, even Remastered, just isn't built for showing convincing city maps and indoor environments, but Starcraft 2's engine is far better at those.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Content: One of the bosses in God Hand is a gorilla luchador, but it's not actually a gorilla. There's a zipper on the back!

Also the generic enemies keep quoting Mike Tyson for some reason.

God Hand is one of the best brawlers I've ever have the privilege to be terrible at

The entire thing is just so god damned good it's a crime that there's no spiritual sequel

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Len posted:

God Hand is one of the best brawlers I've ever have the privilege to be terrible at

The entire thing is just so god damned good it's a crime that there's no spiritual sequel

I think Mad World was the spiritual successor, the final fight references the Devil Hand fights.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think Mad World was the spiritual successor, the final fight references the Devil Hand fights.

But it doesn't let me customize my entire move set

Or maybe it does any I just didn't get far enough?

Great music though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Len posted:

But it doesn't let me customize my entire move set

Or maybe it does any I just didn't get far enough?

Great music though

You can't customize your move set but yeah the music is great.

You also defeat the succubus boss in Mad World by spanking her repeatedly until she's launched in the air, kind of like the dominatrix enemies in God Hand.

God Hand is really the best Fist of the North Star game.

Kaiju Cage Match has a new favorite as of 22:20 on May 5, 2021