Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how on earth did they implement pvp in that?

e: nevermind, got my games mixed up, i was thinking of Pupperazzi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Deathloop PVP was really fun and I enjoyed it a lot. I think you were disadvantaged so much as Juliana by having to kill Cole 3x times and he had to kill you 1x that it was pretty fair even if you were the better player with better gear. I never finished the campaign as I lost a bit of interest as I slowly realised you're not really finding a cool way to complete all 7 kills, you are just discovering the 1 way to do it. At least that's how it felt. I went back recently to do some PVP but got not hits, so now my trophy for using my mimic ability on the enemy Cole is forever unattainable :negative:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Loving the Dead Space remake. I just learned the force gun will rip the skin right off necromorphs and they'll still attack you with all their muscles exposed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, they added localized damage. You can shoot the skin off the weak points before the bone breaks and the limb falls off

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If Isaac goes into space, his suit freezes and you can watch it thaw and drip

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The cool speedrun/efficiency trick I'm seeing is that the altfire of the Force Gun deploys a little laser emitter that does damage as long as the enemy is in the beam.
The original intent seems to be that you use them to lay traps.

Or you could stick them onto a physics object and then just use Kinesis to point what is now an infinite-ammo laser at your enemies, killing them faster at the cost of less ammo than most other weapons. Just make sure you don't pick it up weirdly or knock it against a doorframe so the laserbeams swing into you.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been playing the AllInOne minecraft skyblock mod lately which has been great chill fun, lots of different tech trees to work in and a clear advancement system for progression, including some clear end goals. You start with a single block to mine, and the goal is to expand platforms out to use for exploring different modpacks while setting up infinitely regenerating resources. Just had a funny interaction happen.

One of the mods, Astral sorcery, lets you use constellations and crystals to create different magical items, and I'm a klutz so I've opted to get lots of health regen and armor buffs. It's neat, because you actually chart stars to attune items with magical properties, and I was always an astronomy nerd as a kid so having a big sky island to look at the stars is pretty comfy.

There's also a mod for Smeltery, which lets you build a giant smelting station to toss metals into in order to create alloys, among other things. I've been tinkering with it and building it taller, to hold more molten metals. So I've done a lot of building during the day, and astrology sorcery at night.

If you don't go to bed in Minecraft after a few days, flying manta ray monsters called phantoms will spawn to attack you. I stopped building up the smeltery while standing on the edge to go grab a smoke, and when I got back I was standing knee-deep in the smeltery, which actually does damage you. Thanks to my Astral sorcery stuff, my regen actually outpaced the damage being done, but it did do one neat thing: filled the smeltery with blood. You can pour that blood out into a casting table to make blood balls, which can actually be crafted into slime balls, which are incredibly useful and I hadn't found a good way to farm them yet.

So now when I need to get a large amount of items to build the next-tier, upgraded smelter, I've realized that I can just hop into a vat of molten metal, burn myself alive until almost all my blood fills the reservoir, turn all my blood into an upgraded version of magmatic slime, and use that to make the bricks which will form the Nether Forge, which i can use to smelt hell metals! :haw: :black101:

I also found a flower called an Orechid which will transform any regular stone around it into usefull ores, in case I ever run out of specific kinds of metals that I've neglected to set up an infinite source of yet. I've named it "jumpscare flower" because if you plant it, then place stone next to it, it'll play the "block placed" sound at the same time as the "stone turning into ore" sound, at roughly triple the volume of anything else in the game. Startled the gently caress out of me

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

bawk posted:

I also found a flower called an Orechid which will transform any regular stone around it into usefull ores, in case I ever run out of specific kinds of metals that I've neglected to set up an infinite source of yet. I've named it "jumpscare flower" because if you plant it, then place stone next to it, it'll play the "block placed" sound at the same time as the "stone turning into ore" sound, at roughly triple the volume of anything else in the game. Startled the gently caress out of me

When I first added sound effects to my game, I started with sounds for firing the guns on the ship. That first pass was very naive: I got a nice gun sound, and then every time a shot was fired, I'd play that sound, at full volume, with no accounting for where the gun was positioned relative to the listener. That's fine up to a point, but it neglects one very important issue: there's more than one gun on a warship! I don't remember how many guns there were on the ship I was testing with, but I would bet it was around 10.

In short, I fired the guns, and my speakers went CRUMP as they attempted to play a very loud sound layered over itself 10 times.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

tokenbrownguy posted:

There's also some art deco spy -thief game coming out with the whole premise being a big rear end complex full of NPCs you can mimic while other spy-thieves equally disguised race / fight you to the same goal. Cannot remember the name.

If anyone is wondering about the name, I think you're thinking of Deceive Inc.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bawk posted:

with botania there is the rannuncarpus, a flower that places blocks on top of blocktypes that you specify. there is also the hopperhock, which picks up dropped blocks, and the mining lens for the mana spreader

you can automate ore gen pretty easily with that lot, and there's a muffler flower to cut down on noise

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When I first added sound effects to my game, I started with sounds for firing the guns on the ship. That first pass was very naive: I got a nice gun sound, and then every time a shot was fired, I'd play that sound, at full volume, with no accounting for where the gun was positioned relative to the listener. That's fine up to a point, but it neglects one very important issue: there's more than one gun on a warship! I don't remember how many guns there were on the ship I was testing with, but I would bet it was around 10.

In short, I fired the guns, and my speakers went CRUMP as they attempted to play a very loud sound layered over itself 10 times.
What up fellow “game dev who plays too many sounds at once”. I had a similar problem with my game, where your gun property upgrades are all uncapped (well, I mean you can eventually hit maxint/ max float caps but I don’t impose any caps) so you can upgrade your pellet count to, say, 40000 and your refire delay to, like, less than a frame and the first time I fired that gun I thought I was going to blow out my speakers.

Once the computer became responsive again, I implemented some batching so you aren’t technically firing as many bullets but you still get big booms and damage.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

bewilderment posted:

The cool speedrun/efficiency trick I'm seeing is that the altfire of the Force Gun deploys a little laser emitter that does damage as long as the enemy is in the beam.

Or you could stick them onto a physics object and then just use Kinesis to point what is now an infinite-ammo laser at your enemies, killing them faster at the cost of less ammo than most other weapons. Just make sure you don't pick it up weirdly or knock it against a doorframe so the laserbeams swing into you.

back when Overwatch is fun you used to be able to do that with Symmetra by putting all of your turrets onto a basket ball or other prop in spawn and meleeing it out the door, sending the disco ball of death enemy-ward

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

bewilderment posted:

I figured out a way to earn infinite ammo for the pulse rifle or in turn infinite money. You’ll need to start with at least $5k and 7-8 nodes. If you’ve already built the gun up some, you should already have enough. This is also easier the more upgrades you have, but you can still do it if you’re only on lvl 1, it just takes longer.

1. Go to a shop and put all of your inventory in storage except for your pulse gun.
2. Go to a bench.
3. Empty out your ammo on the floor using the R1/mine shot. You can then turn the mine back into ammo on the floor. Don’t pick it up yet.
4. Go into the bench, spend the $5k to respec your gun.
5. Buy a capacity node - this will refill your ammo
6. Empty your ammo on the floor using R1 - leave it on the ground.
7. Repeat from 5 - if you fill all the capacity nodes and want to keep going, just spend the $5k to respec again if you have the money. If not go to the next step
8. Whenever you’re done/want to stop, Collect the assload of ammo from the floor.
9. Sell at the store. For every 100 you get $2,500. 4 clips = 100 bullets.

Depending on how much you’ve upgraded your gun, this nets you around $8k-15k for every $5k you spend to respec. A single cycle of this takes about 5 minutes or so, again depending on how much you have your gun upgraded.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Feb 3, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

with botania there is the rannuncarpus, a flower that places blocks on top of blocktypes that you specify. there is also the hopperhock, which picks up dropped blocks, and the mining lens for the mana spreader

you can automate ore gen pretty easily with that lot, and there's a muffler flower to cut down on noise

Thanks for the tip, Botania is one I haven't touched too much on yet, I just got my mystical flower seeds in a hopper pot last night so I can generate a bunch of petals for making flowers. I had a couple endoflames so I could generate mana for getting some crops, but tonight I'm going to figure out more about it because I need cactus to make nature essence, and I found recipes that involve botani stuff I haven't touched yet

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Is respec a portmanteau? I know what it means but I've never thought about its etymology. Re-speculate?

\/\/ ahh re-specialize makes much more sense \/\/

credburn has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Feb 3, 2023

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
probably "re-specialize"

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Honestly never thought about it but yeah I’d think respecialize is right

Which now makes me question if it should be pronounced “respess”

:psyduck:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Respesh?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i thought it was literally just re-spec, as in using the noun "spec" for specification as a verb

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i thought it was literally just re-spec, as in using the noun "spec" for specification as a verb

That's how I see it. My character has specs like a car does. And I wouldn't consider it specialization because that seems like it's just chosen abilities but I would also include stats to be part of specs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's said "re-speck"

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
R E - S P E C
DPS capacity
R E - S P E C
Get rekt, MLG

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Reallocate
Every
Single
Point
Earned
Currently

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

What up fellow “game dev who plays too many sounds at once”. I had a similar problem with my game, where your gun property upgrades are all uncapped (well, I mean you can eventually hit maxint/ max float caps but I don’t impose any caps) so you can upgrade your pellet count to, say, 40000 and your refire delay to, like, less than a frame and the first time I fired that gun I thought I was going to blow out my speakers.

Once the computer became responsive again, I implemented some batching so you aren’t technically firing as many bullets but you still get big booms and damage.

What I ended up doing was leaving the actual projectiles uncapped, but putting a centralized sound effect player on the player's ship, which batches sound effects. Firing one gun plays the sound quietly, if you fire multiple guns quickly it just raises the volume on the sound (until it caps out, of course), but it won't start playing a second sound until a minimum amount of time has passed.

I added crowd control support to my game recently, and one of the effects the crowd can cause is that your fire rate and inaccuracy are both quadrupled. This effect stacks, so you can have 16x fire rate and bullets just flying everywhere, including behind you. And it all works without anything really bad happening!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Started playing Hi-Fi Rush after beating Dead Space, and thought I’d be basically staring at the optional beat counter the whole time because I’m usually awful at keeping it. But after the first level I sort of found a groove, between 808 pulsing to it anyway and literally everything in the game world moving to the beat. You’re never at a loss for the beat because everything in your field of vision that moves does it on the beats, so you can easily oick it back up.

It’s such a fun, intuitively fluid gem of a goddamn game.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: The DexNav system has lots of convenient features.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bussamove posted:

Started playing Hi-Fi Rush after beating Dead Space, and thought I’d be basically staring at the optional beat counter the whole time because I’m usually awful at keeping it. But after the first level I sort of found a groove, between 808 pulsing to it anyway and literally everything in the game world moving to the beat. You’re never at a loss for the beat because everything in your field of vision that moves does it on the beats, so you can easily oick it back up.

It’s such a fun, intuitively fluid gem of a goddamn game.

It's also VERY forgiving in its combos and beat timing, as it rewards hitting on the beat and doesn't punish missing it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The sound designer for Dead Space remake who thought "hey, lets make the voice calls you get from the other survivors induce instantaneous panic with their ring tones" is a goddamn genius and deserves a pay raise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Barudak posted:

The sound designer for Dead Space remake who thought "hey, lets make the voice calls you get from the other survivors induce instantaneous panic with their ring tones" is a goddamn genius and deserves a pay raise.

Speaking of sound design I do love the bit when you first get into Hydroponics and they do the fake out with the irrigation activating sounding like screams.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm about two thirds of the way through HiFi Rush, and poo poo that game is packed with things that I am absolutely loving. The animation and snappy writing reminding me of some sort of Saturday morning cartoon I would've loved, the quick combat, the design of the world being vibrant and full of life despite being mostly mechanical, gently caress it's all so good.

One villain is a walking JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference in the cheesiest, best way.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Barudak posted:

They did that with the original. The head guy for the remake said he wanted to keep as much of the sound design from the first one as possible. Smart move, imo.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I recently started playing FFXIV, and it is decent so far.

Two things I found really neat are:

You can rank up in one of three Grand Companies, and NPC’s will address you by your current rank.

You have the option of no visible helmet like a lot of RPGs, but this game also has an option for visor up/visor down for most closed helmets. I figured out the other day that if your hat has an eyepiece (like a monocle or eyepatch,) the visor up/visor down option works on it, so you can choose to have the eyepatch/glasses or not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reubenesque Sandwich posted:

I recently started playing FFXIV, and it is decent so far.

Two things I found really neat are:

You can rank up in one of three Grand Companies, and NPC’s will address you by your current rank.

You have the option of no visible helmet like a lot of RPGs, but this game also has an option for visor up/visor down for most closed helmets. I figured out the other day that if your hat has an eyepiece (like a monocle or eyepatch,) the visor up/visor down option works on it, so you can choose to have the eyepatch/glasses or not.

Just as a general FYI, A Real Reborn isn't the metric to judge FFXIV by It's not bad for what it is, but hold your judgement til you get into the lead-in to Heavensward and the expansions proper (ie; About the time the English voice actors change due to a switch in dubbing studios). The expansions, where they weren't constantly on the back-foot trying to un-gently caress the mess that was FFXIV initially, are where it gets legitimately great.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just as a general FYI, A Real Reborn isn't the metric to judge FFXIV by It's not bad for what it is, but hold your judgement til you get into the lead-in to Heavensward and the expansions proper (ie; About the time the English voice actors change due to a switch in dubbing studios). The expansions, where they weren't constantly on the back-foot trying to un-gently caress the mess that was FFXIV initially, are where it gets legitimately great.

Lol, I learned my lesson to NEVER discuss the story. I held in till the post-missions of Heavensword, then started skipping all the cutscenes. Somehow came up in guild chat, and I accidentally shared some thoughts on mechanics and plot I hated in my FC. Wound up having to leave the FC, peeps take that poo poo super serious. Now I have a new FC, and keep any disparaging comments to myself!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's kind of the opposite of a little thing, but one of my favorite things about ffxiv is that, since it was story focused from the very beginning, they can do a lot in terms of leveraging being able to tell a story over a long time, with characters you've been spending time with and getting to know & story beats resurfacing after ages away. even in other, regular long RPGs I sometimes feel like you don't enough space to really feel like you know what the characters are like because downtime is few and far between

obviously it's spoilers to go in specifics, especially for the major arcs and characters, but even in ARR there's a minor arc involving an npc named Edda and you can see her and her adventuring party go through the growing pains of being a party as you go through the main quest if you notice them hanging around and make a point of talking to them as you and them are progressing.

edit: man I genuinely didn't see the previous post when I was typing this but really don't start skipping all the cutscenes and then complain about the plot lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Morpheus posted:

I'm about two thirds of the way through HiFi Rush, and poo poo that game is packed with things that I am absolutely loving. The animation and snappy writing reminding me of some sort of Saturday morning cartoon I would've loved, the quick combat, the design of the world being vibrant and full of life despite being mostly mechanical, gently caress it's all so good.

One villain is a walking JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference in the cheesiest, best way.

Mr. Chai, was it?
- That's MISTER Chai to you!
Yes that's... what I just called you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I watched the cutscenes and unsubbed mid HW because it just never got better. Everyone swore it would open up and be great once I got there but it just felt like more of the same

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I started playing at the end of 2021 and shadowbringers/endwalker were very much worth the time I spent on the game, for what it's worth, and like I said in my effortpost I think the journey is worth it. never going to blame anyone for not feeling the vibes of the game, just a little grumpy at dumping on something you're actively skipping

Barudak
May 7, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

They did that with the original. The head guy for the remake said he wanted to keep as much of the sound design from the first one as possible. Smart move, imo.

So it is. I think its much more pronounced in the remake, but that could just be my memory and the long-player I compared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Len posted:

I watched the cutscenes and unsubbed mid HW because it just never got better. Everyone swore it would open up and be great once I got there but it just felt like more of the same

IMO, one of the mistakes the FF14 community does when trying to to introduce new people to the game is to hype Heavensward up so much. While the story is better than ARR, its not the extraordinary masterpiece some people make it sound like.

The main story quest gameplay also never fundamentally changes from "Go to place, talk to person/kill thing, go to next place" and if you don't have the brainworms that make that at least tolerable, FF14 isn't going to be for you.