Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

My guess is either they never thought of doing it single-player only, or they figure it'll be a slippery slope situation and/or make people keep hounding them about the lack of multiplayer in the game.

You're probably right, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I totally agree. I got that Gothic Battlefleet 2 a while ago and there's some really cool ship designs there. Hell, I'm also with you on the TOTAL WARHAMMER 40K as well cause it could be real fun. I can see that happening sometime, but probably not an accurate version of the minis game sadly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I totally agree. I got that Gothic Battlefleet 2 a while ago and there's some really cool ship designs there. Hell, I'm also with you on the TOTAL WARHAMMER 40K as well cause it could be real fun. I can see that happening sometime, but probably not an accurate version of the minis game sadly.

A lore accurate total Warhammer 40k where the space marine player fields like 6 dudes against 400 orkz

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Even if it was just the Total War combat it would be cool, but I think the big problem there is that rank and file melee combat isn't the type of fighting 40k does. It's more loose squads and less formations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

A lore accurate total Warhammer 40k where the space marine player fields like 6 dudes against 400 orkz

Dynasty Warriors 40K?

Imperium Defense Force?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe something similar to Age of Wonders then?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Do not pursue Lu Bu into the eye of terror.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The gameplay of Space Marine but it's Dynasty Warriors

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't want an actual digital version of Warhammer/40k because then people will buy that instead of the miniatures.

Which is silly, because you can charge just as much for digital miniatures with no real production cost, and then release a new version next year and make everyone rebuy them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't want an actual digital version of Warhammer/40k because then people will buy that instead of the miniatures.

I heard here and there that is is why GW allowed the Total Warhammer games to be released right as they killed the Old World in favour of Age of Sigmar, but as you can probably guess, this theory wasn't really backed up by anything. It would explain their otherwise baffling decision to allow Fantasy into the wider consciousness when they really should've been promoting their new stuff, though :tinfoil:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I heard here and there that is is why GW allowed the Total Warhammer games to be released right as they killed the Old World in favour of Age of Sigmar, but as you can probably guess, this theory wasn't really backed up by anything. It would explain their otherwise baffling decision to allow Fantasy into the wider consciousness when they really should've been promoting their new stuff, though :tinfoil:

I'm glad they aren't promoting Sigmar because hoo boy is it stupid as gently caress

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Baldurs Gate and NWN and the myriad DND games never hurt the sales of DND.
So its not even an argument.

Joke suggestion: 40k simulated wargame but with you get units through gacha

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If Magic can be turned into a video game without hurting profitability, warhammer probably can too

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Games Workshop is not exactly the most rational of companies though, and the relevant thing here is whether they believe that it'd hurt the sales of their minis.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Even if it was just the Total War combat it would be cool, but I think the big problem there is that rank and file melee combat isn't the type of fighting 40k does. It's more loose squads and less formations.

This is why Dawn of War 2 ruled so hard. You had 4 small squads in the space marine campaign and would take on an entire RTS map of orks/eldar/tyranids.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve not played Mass Effect, but my vague impression of it feels like it would be a good template for an RPG about an Inquisitor.

Speaking of which, they came out with a game based on part of the Eisenhorn trilogy in 2016 and it made no impact that I ever saw. Did anyone play it?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

Which is silly, because you can charge just as much for digital miniatures with no real production cost, and then release a new version next year and make everyone rebuy them.

May very well be true, and seeing Star Citizen they wouldn't even need to tie it to a game for it to sell.

And as for digital versions not likely to affect physical sales, all I can say is that it's true for me as digital game or not I'm not buying any minis any time soon.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve not played Mass Effect, but my vague impression of it feels like it would be a good template for an RPG about an Inquisitor.

Speaking of which, they came out with a game based on part of the Eisenhorn trilogy in 2016 and it made no impact that I ever saw. Did anyone play it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=200E4YYAwKc&

Its bad. Very bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Minecraft Dungeons since it is on Game Pass and I did laugh how in the opening movie the guy who becomes the main villain finds "the Orb of Dominance" except because it is Minecraft it is a cube.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Playing Minecraft Dungeons since it is on Game Pass and I did laugh how in the opening movie the guy who becomes the main villain finds "the Orb of Dominance" except because it is Minecraft it is a cube.

How is that, any good? Or is it baby's first diablo?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How is that, any good? Or is it baby's first diablo?

Pretty much baby's first diablo. You don't have any inherent skills or stats and instead just collect equipment. You have melee, ranged, armor and then three slots for artifacts. When you level up you get an enchantment point which can be used to give a skill/bonus which are randomized on the items. There's no mana and everything is just on cooldown.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just played the ashtray maze in Control for the first time, and it was amazing. I'll not spoil it, but you go into it expecting the tedium of a 3rd person navigation puzzle, and what you get is pure :black101: .

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Breetai posted:

Just played the ashtray maze in Control for the first time, and it was amazing. I'll not spoil it, but you go into it expecting the tedium of a 3rd person navigation puzzle, and what you get is pure :black101: .

I'm actually still kinda mad I didn't get a navigation puzzle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Breetai posted:

Especially since I tried going through there earlier in the game and all it was was going around in circles.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Breetai posted:

I think this was something that was talked up way too much, cause when I got there my reaction was "that's it?".

Cleretic posted:

I'm actually still kinda mad I didn't get a navigation puzzle.

Same.

Oh, uh, favorite little things? I really enjoyed the fight in the mirror against esseJ, but I'm a sucker for fights against your same set of powers in video games.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I think this was something that was talked up way too much, cause when I got there my reaction was "that's it?".

Same.

Oh, uh, favorite little things? I really enjoyed the fight in the mirror against esseJ, but I'm a sucker for fights against your same set of powers in video games.

You get the best outfit from her .

ForbiddenSock
May 12, 2020

Would using Nike brand socks for my seed be a cool flex?

Push El Burrito posted:

In Doom Eternal if your gun is out of ammo it will hang there all limp and sad.

You let your gun run out of ammo?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

I'm personally SHOCKED that there isn't a tactical rpg game yet that plays with the 40k mechanics. We've got an RTS, some squad based rts/rpgs, a diablo-like, fps, third person shooters, turn based tactical dungeon crawling, but nothing that actually plays like the game it's all based on.

I want a Total War style game where the map is the galaxy (or a portion of it).

Sanctus Reach is about as close as you are going to get. Squads that cost points that get cobbled together into an army, etc. No real customization of your squads unless you play a campaign. Then you get the joys of picking one of three perks with every level your unit gains. This leads to fun diversification in plain old guardsmen squads. One squad ended up as a shooting threat even against nobz thanks to their critical attacks and doubled reaction fire. Another got to be official ogryn wranglers due to their otherwise useless medkits. My favourite squad ended up being the poor suckers with the demo charges. A range one vehicle buster in the hands of troops that die against any serious shooting attack. As the quote on their inevitable bionic legs put it, "Shooting yourself in the foot will NOT get you off duty."

If you remember to turn up the animation speed it even takes less time than the original game. Unfortunately the people making the DLC dropped the ball on the premade campaigns. You only fight one opponent for the entire thing. No Guard vs. Marines or even Ork vs. Ork. action. Thank goodness for the random campaign option.

Judging by how their next game was a 40k knockoff of the Warlock games they flew too close to the sun.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

ForbiddenSock posted:

You let your gun run out of ammo?

So you haven't played Doom Eternal yet huh?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

TheMostFrench posted:

I finally bought Mordor: Shadow of War and the nemesis system is so well done. I don't think I've lost track of time playing a game like this in ages, easily 2-3 hours before I even thought about leaving the first area and remembered there was a main quest. Best memory so far is when I went after a guy that killed me, but there was another guy there, so I retreated around a corner into another guy, then got ambushed by a fourth. I got downed a few times but survived with last stands, then eventually got killed by a regular grunt with no last stand opportunity. He said something "I killed you Tark, that makes me the Tark Killer! No... Tark Slayer! That's who I'll be from now on, the Tark Slayer!" and he gets promoted into the ranks as [Name] the Tark Slayer, and now he is my personal arch enemy.

From a couple pages ago but you should watch Conan's Clueless Gamer where he plays this with Kumail Nanjiani: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txvKrTplOVs

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I would like to rescind my previous comment about my favourite moment in Control, because "Dyna-mite" is the moment where games became Art.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Breetai posted:

I would like to rescind my previous comment about my favourite moment in Control, because "Dyna-mite" is the moment where games became Art.

The craziest part is that is a real song that they just changed the name of the person who's Dyna-mite.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just hope to one day enjoy anything as much as Matthew Porretta seems to be enjoying himself in that scene.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Haha I forgot about that. It's so good, the best thing about using real live people in limited parts of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

So you haven't played Doom Eternal yet huh?

That is what the chainsaw button is for.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha I forgot about that. It's so good, the best thing about using real live people in limited parts of the game.

It got me genuinely pumped up for what I'm guessing is your recovery from being mind controlled and the eventual climax of the game.

Pretend I used the word ludonarrative in context here somehow.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Joke suggestion: 40k simulated wargame but with you get units through gacha

Woah woah let's not give them ideas... that we can document and definitely pitch as just the kind of stupid thing they'd be into

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking of 40k, I started a new Tyranid campaign of Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2, and I forgot how early you start breaking canon to a hilarious degree.

Only the third main campaign objective is to go eat Medusa, homeworld of the Iron Hands chapter of Space Marines, and implicitly with it most of the chapter. Tyranids need iron in their diet, too.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've heard GW keeps a tight leash on their IPs, so I it seemed they wouldn't allow named characters to be touched or the status quo changed. In Dawn of War 2, the main chaos guy Abaddon the Despoiler showed up in couple cutscenes to give orders, and it was a big deal. Then in the Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 campaign, you are guaranteed to kill Abaddon, basically winning the current 10000 year war against Chaos, or a freaking Primarch, or both if you're playing an alien.

The Total Warhammer games allow crazy shifts in the status quo, but they're mostly due to the sandbox nature of the campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just started playing Control today. I'm not sure if its because of the voice in her head, or the Oldest House just being polite to her (and I'm guessing by extension the rest of the staff) but that the doors open before Jesse gets to them even before she becomes the Director (gently caress spoilers, that's literally 5 minutes into the game) is a nice touch of odd behaviour that helps set the stage for (I'm assuming) the rest of the game. I just got the OoP that turns the game into an okay third-person shooter into Telekinesis Simulator 2019.

Plus, yeah, they really nail the "SCP if it was an actual government agency" vibe perfectly. Do have to question why all the intra-office memos are so redacted though.