Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

For my own praise, I think Ghost of Tsushima has finally unseated Resident Evil 4 et al's "double-tap to kick open" as the most satisfying door animation. I got tired of using the prompt to slowly slide the door open and shut every time I go in a building, then I realized you can just have Jin attack any of them to leave a convenient open hole in the side of the building. Friends, foes, cowering hostages I'm rescuing, I'm shouting and slicing my way into buildings from now on.

Ah, the Red Faction: Guerrilla method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's pretty great. The Paper Marios seem like they often have some sort of weird dark undercurrent in parts of them compared to other Mario games, parts of Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario come to mind in particular.

They've always been willing to have the Weirdly Dark Chapter in Paper Mario games, but Origami King's whole thing has that horror bent, which is great but also much harder to pull off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

They've always been willing to have the Weirdly Dark Chapter in Paper Mario games, but Origami King's whole thing has that horror bent, which is great but also much harder to pull off.

I really want to play it on the story/writing end, but I haven't heard enough good on the gameplay end to make me pick the series up again. If Nintendo would just give in and let their games get to half price I'd be in for sure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

For my own praise, I think Ghost of Tsushima has finally unseated Resident Evil 4 et al's "double-tap to kick open" as the most satisfying door animation. I got tired of using the prompt to slowly slide the door open and shut every time I go in a building, then I realized you can just have Jin attack any of them to leave a convenient open hole in the side of the building. Friends, foes, cowering hostages I'm rescuing, I'm shouting and slicing my way into buildings from now on.

You eventually get the ability to stab motherfuckers through doors which ends up destroying said door as well. Its pretty satisfying.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

You eventually get the ability to stab motherfuckers through doors which ends up destroying said door as well. Its pretty satisfying.

Oh yeah, that's rad. It just took me a while to realize you could also just power through doors without a convenient enemy silhouette behind them :black101:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I really want to play it on the story/writing end, but I haven't heard enough good on the gameplay end to make me pick the series up again. If Nintendo would just give in and let their games get to half price I'd be in for sure.

I really like Origami King's gameplay, you just have to come to terms with the fact it's not Thousand-Year Door's (which a hell of a lot of people apparently can't). It ditched the sticker/card system from Sticker Star and Color Splash, and instead you've got a really neat wheel system for positioning your enemies to get hit by your different attacks. It apparently gets REALLY hard later on--which honestly is more than I can say about the first two Paper Marios.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I really like Origami King's gameplay, you just have to come to terms with the fact it's not Thousand-Year Door's (which a hell of a lot of people apparently can't). It ditched the sticker/card system from Sticker Star and Color Splash, and instead you've got a really neat wheel system for positioning your enemies to get hit by your different attacks. It apparently gets REALLY hard later on--which honestly is more than I can say about the first two Paper Marios.

Honestly, I don't care if it's not exactly like TYD, I just hate the way they moved away from the traditional leveling/attack systems. This one does sound way more intriguing than the last two, just not enough that I want to gamble $50-60 on it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's not perfect but it's kind of neat how Ghost of Tsushima works its difficulty curve into its storytelling (and is best experienced on hard mode). And I'm not talking about the kinda silly flashbacks.

As you get XP the natural thing to spend points in is your basic skills like perfect parries, perfect dodges, etc with the occasional spend in your ghost tools and the 'evolving tactics' tree like fall-rolling (because you don't have many yet). This makes sense! Jin is used to being an honorable samurai swordfighter so that's what you start relying on. At the start of the game you feel like "gently caress stealth, I'm just going to run into the middle of an enemy camp and yell at them all to challenge me" and in fact it is literally one of the things Jin does in the tutorial.

In fact it feels a little unfair to use ghost tool like the kunai because they're basically an insta-win button for you.

But as you work your way through the game it gets harder. You fight traitors who are used to swordfighting and so they'll dodge your attacks or fakeout your dodges. Even doing multi-kill standoffs becomes a lot harder to pull off. You use your ghost tools and abilities more and more because you need them not to die, you can't afford to be 'honorable' any more.

Your game tactics follow the gameplay arc!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's pretty great. The Paper Marios seem like they often have some sort of weird dark undercurrent in parts of them compared to other Mario games, parts of Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario come to mind in particular.

I think the plural is Papers Mario.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Hot springs in like literally all of the harvest moon series and stardew valley to restore stamina

Oh yeah, there's something like that in Kid Icarus Uprising too!

Also there's a small part of DQ11 that has you going through a hot spring in a town and finding a kid who lost their dad but the hot spring itself doesn't actually do anything so I don't know if that counts. I'm not sure if you're looking for 'has an effect on the game in some fashion' like Mother 3's all healing you or just 'exists' like my examples.

Leavemywife posted:

I think a lot of the Tales series has hot springs, as well as unlockable fan service costumes for visiting them. I know Vesperia does, and I think Berseria has their hidden dungeon linked to them? It's been a while since I played that one.

Yeah, I've played Symphonia, Vesperia and Berseria and I can't remember anything from Berseria. Vesperia has costumes for everyone if you go but Vesperia's an absurd bizarre game where the most interesting parts of the character's kits are hidden behind weapon skills that you won't even begin to start getting for another 6 hours after they join you at best. Like, their full kit is spread around across like 7 weapons and you won't have all of them and the ability to use everything until like new game +3.

Anyway, Vesperia has hot spring costumes but they're all hidden behind a 900,000 gold bill.

It's kinda worth it though.

Morpheus posted:

You joke but I bet the others in the group smell absolutely loving awful.

Aerith included.

Tifa is just being passive agressive. "Boy, I could certainly use a shower, because WE'VE been doing a lot of battling and boy SOME OF US ARE GETTING A LITTLE RIPE, so I'M going to get clean."

It's kinda funny that he points out that Tifa mentions it most of the time as post-battle dialogue and she wasn't with us on the reactor 1 raid when Biggs was going on and on about it like 'Oh god, what is that stench? It's like if a behemoth and a marlboro got into vomiting competition and then it all got set on fire and stewed like that for a decade. ...Oh CHRIST that's me.'

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Aug 5, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No More Heroes uses toilets as save points, except for the Shinobu sections in 2, who takes a shower instead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Another Paper Mario Origami King bit:

Color Splash mentioned as a one-off joke, possibly added in localization, that Luigi is a really aggressive driver. They actually reference him giving people the death-glare when they get close.

Origami King starts with Luigi driving himself and Mario to Peach's castle, and they go even harder with it, upgrading him to straight-up 'lovely person behind the wheel'. He insists on parking himself, because he doesn't want to tip the valet. Later, when you go back through Toad Town, you can see skidmarks he left that show just how awfully he was driving on an empty road, as well as his kart itself; it got knocked on its side so it's hard to tell where exactly he parked, but he almost definitely blocked passage through a gate.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Ah, the Red Faction: Guerrilla method.

I wish more games had this level of environmental destruction. I wonder why not - too graphically intensive?

Game Pass Caner checking in:

Guacamelee 2 - subtle but effective building of powers/difficulty

A Plague Tale - nice variety of gameplay and set pieces keeps the interest throughout

My Friend Pedro - the double-aim mechanic coupled with slo-mo

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Robert J. Omb posted:

I wish more games had this level of environmental destruction. I wonder why not - too graphically intensive?

A lot of rendering techniques involve precalculating a load of stuff about the scene and shipping it as part of the game download. The more arbitrarily the player can change the environment, the harder it is to make things look good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Physics calculations involving terrain destruction are characteristically CPU-intensive, and the last two generations of consoles have cheaped out on CPU power.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

And more mundanely, if you can smash this wall, it stands out more when you can't smash that wall and leave the bounds of the level or skip past stuff

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Even more mundane, if you have physics based destruction you buildings that can actually stand under the physics you are simulating, and very few artists and designers are architects.
Also as seen in games like Silent Storm, winning a level because you fired one bullet into the right place to crash a building into the ground kills all challenge and in the long term becomes boring.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
To get back to Guerrilla as an example, there's this big bridge on the map you can blow up, but you can also simply destroy it by trying to drive normally on it. Great fun when you're trying to use said bridge for one of the time trial challenges (though luckily there's an alternative route IIRC)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Games in which bathing is a mechanic, go

Didn't Suikoden 2 have a hot springs/bath that even took the step to show two separate ones for men and women? I can't remember if it specifically did anything though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something from Borderlands 3's Heist of the Handsome Jackpot DLC; Joy was a good boy with a heart of gold who just wanted a picnic :unsmith:. I really love how all the Vault Hunters are just totally down for it as well.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

RareAcumen posted:

You can take a shower in Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door during the Peach interludes but it's not really a required thing so I dunno if that counts.
I think it’s mandatory on the first one, which prompts opening the door for the first meeting with TEC. Then they have that conversation about him having been observing her, getting an odd response, then prompting the other Peach interludes to investigate it and eventually he ends up helping you.

Long story short, Peach’s tiddies end up saving the world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

yook posted:

I think it’s mandatory on the first one, which prompts opening the door for the first meeting with TEC. Then they have that conversation about him having been observing her, getting an odd response, then prompting the other Peach interludes to investigate it and eventually he ends up helping you.

Long story short, Peach’s tiddies end up saving the world.

This is also the game where Peach steals an X-Naut disguise and later drinks an invisibility potion, both explicitly involve her taking off her dress. I think the devs got a little weird here.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Thanks for all the physics explanations; I figured that might be the case (the Silent Storm issue sounds hilarious!).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Silent Storm owns and being able to do that in a few maps will never stop being funny, it's not ubiquitous enough to trivialise the game and isn't predictable enough to work.

Fond memories of my base being under siege and blowing up a factory floor by accident, forcing some extremely disgruntled mechs to take the servant's entrance in single file, then someone blew up the wall and meant a firing squad of mechs could just merrily gun down my entire squad

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is also the game where Peach steals an X-Naut disguise and later drinks an invisibility potion, both explicitly involve her taking off her dress. I think the devs got a little weird here.

Anyone with invisibiliy powers who claims not to have gone streaking is a liar.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Joey Freshwater posted:

Didn't Suikoden 2 have a hot springs/bath that even took the step to show two separate ones for men and women? I can't remember if it specifically did anything though.

All the Suikodens have a bathhouse as part of your base and they generally give you the Toasty status effect.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Hel posted:

Even more mundane, if you have physics based destruction you buildings that can actually stand under the physics you are simulating, and very few artists and designers are architects.
Also as seen in games like Silent Storm, winning a level because you fired one bullet into the right place to crash a building into the ground kills all challenge and in the long term becomes boring.

There is also a level where a guy you need to extract is inside a munitions factory packed with explosive barrels, and a stray bullet can set off a catastrophic explosion that levels the building and effectively ends the mission for you.

Silent Storm was an amazing game, even if the physics and destructibility only worked because the game paused to calculate the effects - and recalculate pathing and line-of-sight and building stability etc - of pretty much every shot. I imagine implementing their system in real-time would be drat near impossible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Elfface posted:

Anyone with invisibiliy powers who claims not to have gone streaking is a liar.

Is it really streaking if nobody can see you? I mean, I'm naked right now but that doesn't mean

*sirens getting louder*
Uh, I gotta go.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Unless you have the power to turn your clothes invisible you really have to be naked to get any use out of it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Snackula posted:

All the Suikodens have a bathhouse as part of your base and they generally give you the Toasty status effect.

I need to find a way to play that game, it's been so long but it was so good.

Wasn't 4 the one that was incredibly hard to find and thus incredibly expensive if you could?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bewilderment posted:

It's not perfect but it's kind of neat how Ghost of Tsushima works its difficulty curve into its storytelling (and is best experienced on hard mode). And I'm not talking about the kinda silly flashbacks.

As you get XP the natural thing to spend points in is your basic skills like perfect parries, perfect dodges, etc with the occasional spend in your ghost tools and the 'evolving tactics' tree like fall-rolling (because you don't have many yet). This makes sense! Jin is used to being an honorable samurai swordfighter so that's what you start relying on. At the start of the game you feel like "gently caress stealth, I'm just going to run into the middle of an enemy camp and yell at them all to challenge me" and in fact it is literally one of the things Jin does in the tutorial.

In fact it feels a little unfair to use ghost tool like the kunai because they're basically an insta-win button for you.

But as you work your way through the game it gets harder. You fight traitors who are used to swordfighting and so they'll dodge your attacks or fakeout your dodges. Even doing multi-kill standoffs becomes a lot harder to pull off. You use your ghost tools and abilities more and more because you need them not to die, you can't afford to be 'honorable' any more.

Your game tactics follow the gameplay arc!

Sleeping Dogs did that- you got police XP by not breaking poo poo during missions, avoiding car accidents, etc.

You maxed out your police tree by the middle of the game, give or take, so as Wei gets more and more into the triad you stop caring about being by the book and will just plow a car through a barrier to catch a guy, since hey, I don’t need police XP anymore, do I?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just learned yesterday that the weather in Ghost of Tsushima is tailored somewhat to your playstyle. I'd been noticing an awful lot of thunderstorms then sure enough, if you're stealthin it up and using ghost weapons rather than fighting honorably, you'll get more stormy weather. I'm not sure how I feel about judging my honor that way since I feel locked into using every advantage due to lack of skill, but on a gameplay level it's pretty neat.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You don't have to view it as a honor thing, the storm is helping you stealth kill some bad dudes. And afterwards you can pull out your flute and make it rain (or foggy etc.) :woop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

orcane posted:

You don't have to view it as a honor thing, the storm is helping you stealth kill some bad dudes. And afterwards you can pull out your flute and make it rain (or foggy etc.) :woop:

That's fair, I looked up the article that I'd read, and it was more the writer editorializing on that part than the designer's quotes, as I'd incorrectly remembered.
Also I should figure out how to get more than one flute song.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah you gotta remember that storms are cultural and historically very good things for the Japanese when it comes to dealing with Mongolia.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The idea that I'm so dishonorable the weather itself is all "whoa gently caress this guy" just makes me wanna be a ghost even more.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Push El Burrito posted:

The idea that I'm so dishonorable the weather itself is all "whoa gently caress this guy" just makes me wanna be a ghost even more.

Quite the opposite. The storms are loving up the Mongols. As someone upthread said, have a look at the Mongols history with storms and Japan.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's fair, I looked up the article that I'd read, and it was more the writer editorializing on that part than the designer's quotes, as I'd incorrectly remembered.
Also I should figure out how to get more than one flute song.
Basically every time you come across a graveyard take a few seconds to find the cricket container. You can also use the traveler's outfit to track them down IIRC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The weather is supposed to represent the spirit of Jin's father guiding him, not in a literal mystical sense but more metaphorically. So (minor characterization spoilers) at first you're led to believe that as a legendary samurai Jin's father would disapprove wholesale of his ghostly actions, thus the harsh wind and rain... but then you find out that that's not entirely the case and he himself resorted to trickery to outsmart his enemies with a keen eye for the moral line not to be crossed, and the changing weather as a mechanic takes on a new meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My weather keeps telling me it's not mad, just disappointed :smith: