Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Len posted:

I still don't understand why this is such a Big Deal. Every other gen people have just been fine with buying their games again but this time it's met with righteous fury

The issue is not that simple for Control specifically. Recently an 'ultimate edition' re-release of the game came out for PS4/Xbone that's just the main game and all the DLCs packaged together for a slight discount. This 'ultimate edition' version, despite not having anything new in it, gets the cross-platform compatibility. This creates a problem that didn't need to exist where if you currently own Control and all the DLCs you essentially already have the 'ultimate edition' but do not get the cross-platform compatibility. It's just silly and doesn't make any sense. Why not just put out the 'ultimate edition' for PS5 and not bother putting it on PS4/Xbone if it doesn't have anything new in it?? Why not put the 'ultimate edition' on PS5 and have it be backwards compatible with PS4/Xbone instead of the other way around (so people without a PS5 would still have a reason to buy it until they got one)?? Why do it the way they did it instead of I dunno anything else??

edit: Of course, you still have the whiny subset of gamers extending their little grabby hands to the sky going "give me everything for free!!" but imo the Control example is less about entitlement and more about the publisher being transparently money-grubbing, given that they claimed upgrading people who currently have the game and all the DLCs was impossible when it clearly is not as many games have already done exactly that such as Dark Souls 2 to SOTFS.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Len posted:

I still don't understand why this is such a Big Deal. Every other gen people have just been fine with buying their games again but this time it's met with righteous fury

Rebuying games you already own for newer consoles has never been fine, everything should be backwards compatible always and forever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Biplane posted:

Rebuying games you already own for newer consoles has never been fine, everything should be backwards compatible always and forever.

This isn't backwards compatibility though, this is "give me the PS5 version"

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Len posted:

This isn't backwards compatibility though, this is "give me the PS5 version"

Yes please.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Len posted:

Similarly there were people losing their minds that the PS4 controller wouldn’t be compatible with the PS5 and since when has that been a thing?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*angrily hurls GameCube Resident Evil 4 disc against wall when I find out I have to pay for the Switch version*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

christmas boots posted:

Similarly there were people losing their minds that the PS4 controller wouldn’t be compatible with the PS5 and since when has that been a thing?

Now this I disagree with. Controller compatibility is such a thing that the PS4 controller works with the PS3 which is like who would ever even want to do that lol

edit: Controller compatibility is such a thing that Spyro the Dragon on PS1 has control support for the Dualanalog, a controller that didn't even exist yet when it released.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Sep 19, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

Now this I disagree with. Controller compatibility is such a thing that the PS4 controller works with the PS3 which is like who would ever even want to do that lol

edit: Controller compatibility is such a thing that Spyro the Dragon on PS1 has control support for the Dualanalog, a controller that didn't even exist yet when it released.

Yeah but that's going backwards and not forwards. Like you can't use an original psx controller on ape escape, you can't use a dual shock controller on mad maestro

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Game Dungeon's Ross at some point went on this big ol' rant that his random rear end ancient PC controller wasn't supported by modern indie games, turning it into some anti-Microsoft rant or something I dunno, it seemed dumb and weird to hang latch onto instead of just getting a Dualshock/Xbone controller.

Croccers has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Sep 19, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Wii could use GameCube games and controllers :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Retro Futurist posted:

The Wii could use GameCube games and controllers :colbert:

Very few games early on used gamecube controllers and then they removed the option eventually iirc

https://gamicus.gamepedia.com/List_of_GameCube_Controller-compatible_Wii_video_games

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croccers posted:

Game Dungeon's Ross at some point went on this big ol' rant that his random rear end ancient PC controller wasn't supported by modern indie games, turning it into some anti-Microsoft rant or something I dunno, it seemed dumb and weird to hang latch onto instead of just getting a Dualshock/Xbone controller.

It’s so weird, too, considering that since like 2010 every modern game has had a pretty standardized control scheme and it’s absolutely standardized around the Xbox/PS4 controllers. It’s been great, too, makes getting into games a lot easier when I don’t have to remember that in this one I hit B for a heavy attack instead of Y.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

OK after reading the recent control praise in this thread I decided to revisit it. Yes, it's actually very good and I'm hooked now. The visual effects are my personal favorite thing, the oily fog effects and textures are really nice, the gold veined stone in the Astral plane alone looks cool af to me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

the PS4 controller owns and both of my DS3 are busted, but I accept that this is a very specific case lol

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
I find every combat option for Control other than telekinesis kind of terrible - the guns especially are not just unsatisfying but downright a chore to use.

This is ok, though, because throwing poo poo around in that game is so drat fun you never need to do anything else. I'm on my second playthrough and learned from #1 that the best path is to dump every point into throwing until it's maxed, then every remaining point into energy, until you can throw 1-3 huge pieces of scenery at enemies without needing to stop at all.

My favourite little thing in this game is the persistent damage, however - when you throw a chunk of concrete into a row of desks, they shatter and explode and fly everywhere, and the chunks stay where they lie. What this means is after a battle is done I find myself walking around the aftermath just looking at the damage to the environment, and you can actually attribute parts of damage to events in the fight. "Man, this office got hosed up and there's a forklift under the rubble in the corner, I remember this is where I tried to peg that flying fucker and missed".

Speaking of missing - in most games missing an attack like a physics throw is just annoying. "poo poo, that was a waste, time to try again". In Control when you miss, the though is more "poo poo, I misse-HOLY gently caress I just carved a piece of that pillar out and the room behind it has exploded and I'm in a movie, I want to do that again".

Control good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Useless posted:

Control good.

The main downside to all that telekinesis fun is that the aim for picking stuff up is a little bit finicky. Sometimes you just want to be like, dammit Jesse, stop ripping huge chunks out of the building, you're supposed to be picking up that work lamp!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

The main downside to all that telekinesis fun is that the aim for picking stuff up is a little bit finicky. Sometimes you just want to be like, dammit Jesse, stop ripping huge chunks out of the building, you're supposed to be picking up that work lamp!

Doesn’t it highlight whatever object you’re going to lift, and if nothing’s highlighted that means you’ll do the chunk o’ concrete?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Doesn’t it highlight whatever object you’re going to lift, and if nothing’s highlighted that means you’ll do the chunk o’ concrete?

Yeah it's just twitchy if there are a lot of nearby items or you're just barely pointed at an object and move a little when you press the grab button.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It tries to be smart about it but doesn't always succeed. Usually it'll prioritize items with special meaning over random trash, that work lamp may have ended up in a bad position. And in the middle of combat it usually doesn't matter what specifically you throw at the guy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Useless posted:

I find every combat option for Control other than telekinesis kind of terrible - the guns especially are not just unsatisfying but downright a chore to use.

Grip is a reliable friend throughout the entire game but does lack stopping power. Spin is a trap option that sucks unless you're drilling into a single large target's head. Every other gun actually owns quite a lot, particularly after you get them upgraded. Also keep in mind that shooting most enemies will stagger them or otherwise mess with them so peppering random shots down range is still useful even if you're just softening them up to catch a vending machine to the face.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The guns are cool. Pierce/Shatter krew represent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AjQMR13Toc

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I feel like Pierce is kind of a trap - it works, and fills its long-range sniper role (and it's quite powerful when you first get it) but it gets you into a mindset of hiding behind cover and poking out to take shots instead of throwing yourself into the fray where all the fun is to be had. And its overall DPS output is pretty low, so it makes fights take longer than they need to. Shatter and Charge (aka the shotgun and rocket launcher) were my weapons of choice.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I ran spin for, like, the whole game. If you can click heads it just melts things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I finally found the infinite* Grip mod and I'm back to using it as my main. It's pretty entertaining as a break from launching stuff when you run into a heavy and can just blast away a couple dozen times in a row.

*if you're a good shot

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I finally found the infinite* Grip mod and I'm back to using it as my main. It's pretty entertaining as a break from launching stuff when you run into a heavy and can just blast away a couple dozen times in a row.

*if you're a good shot

I got a "chance to refund ammo on hit" mod that seemed to be calculated for each pellet or something when used with Shatter because I was able to shoot drat near forever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I have an "ammo refund on Evade" mod that pairs oh so beautifully with Shatter. :allears: Though really it makes every gun broken because it essentially adds a reload button to all of them.

Triarii posted:

I feel like Pierce is kind of a trap - it works, and fills its long-range sniper role (and it's quite powerful when you first get it) but it gets you into a mindset of hiding behind cover and poking out to take shots instead of throwing yourself into the fray where all the fun is to be had. And its overall DPS output is pretty low, so it makes fights take longer than they need to. Shatter and Charge (aka the shotgun and rocket launcher) were my weapons of choice.

Pierce never clicked with me. I'm constantly darting around and never, ever focusing on distance precision shots (even with Grip). Clearly it does have some valid applications - for instance the suicide bombers were very binary for me because Grip simply does not have the damage output to kill them at range and Shatter will end them at close-medium but that keeps them on the field longer and is innately riskier. Meanwhile every time I see someone use Pierce to kill them in one hit I go :aaa: Of course on the other hand you are never, ever fighting only two exploding Hiss so Pierce's ammo pool starts to run into problems immediately unless you get clever with your shots. Edit: I realize they're also quite weak to Launch but there's many times where you're busy using/saving your energy for much bigger threats.

My opinion could change once I do the DLC and get the exotic mod for it, but at that point I'm also gonna have the Shatter and Charge ones sooooooo.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Sep 19, 2020

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.
Totally willing to accept I'm an outlier on not liking the weapons. I don't really care for "charge to shoot" so I never was a big fan of pierce, and by the time I got charge or surge I was already a convert of The Throw, so I never gave them an honest chance.

Either way, Control good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't like snipers in general and this game is a bit tough for precision shooting. If everyone would just get with Nintendo's game and add precision gyro aim adjustment I think I could give Pierce a much better try.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't like snipers in general and this game is a bit tough for precision shooting. If everyone would just get with Nintendo's game and add precision gyro aim adjustment I think I could give Pierce a much better try.

From your lips to Gods ear.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We can all agree I think that Control did a great job of keeping your options varied and useful enough that we can all have completely different play styles and favored tactics and still be badasses.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
Control is pretty good folks

(I am in no way affiliated with the makers of control)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We can all agree I think that Control did a great job of keeping your options varied and useful enough that we can all have completely different play styles and favored tactics and still be badasses.

:hai:

I’ve never really heard anyone sing praises of the charm ability, especially when upgraded so you can take over the healing orbs. Grab one of those and two grunts and you turn into an unkillable mini death squad.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dewgy posted:

you can take over the healing orbs

:aaaaa:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just adjust the difficulty to your own preferences, we so rarely get cheats, use them while you can.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dewgy posted:

:hai:

I’ve never really heard anyone sing praises of the charm ability, especially when upgraded so you can take over the healing orbs. Grab one of those and two grunts and you turn into an unkillable mini death squad.

I had a mod to decrease time to charm and was just taking over everything I could, and yeah taking over those healing orbs meant that it was nigh-impossible to kill you. One of those and a heavy with a chaingun? Ridiculous.

Also, used Grip almost the entire game. Never really enjoyed Amy of the others. But it was only there for when my powers needed to recharge, I was just hucking chunks of concrete at any available moment.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also it's really drat satisfying to turn the obnoxious TK hiss over to your side and watch them rip apart everything.

And a bonus little thing: Seizing an enemy still causes them to drop their health pickups, so you're not penalized for using it in clutch situations. (I believe there's also a late game/DLC mod that heals you directly when you seize an enemy as well.)

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
In the new Battletoads you have to complete tedious puzzles to open security gates.

Unless you can’t be bothered and click “auto hack”.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Robert J. Omb posted:

In the new Battletoads you have to complete tedious puzzles to open security gates.

Unless you can’t be bothered and click “auto hack”.

If you take to long to solve a puzzle to open a door in Arkham Knight, Batman just goes "gently caress it, this is taking too long" and smashes the security panel.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I can't find a thread for it but it was raved about here, so I'm asking here. In Spiritfarer, if you bring two people to the Everdoor at the same time, do they go through sequentially? At the same time? Separate events? I have two people who can go but I'm not sure I've made Alice ecstatic yet so I don't want to go before I can bake her her favorite food, but also feel bad keeping Summer on my ship for longer than she wanted. Also, any way to check whether you've made someone ecstatic before? I just wanna make everyone as happy as I can on my boat. :shobon:

Game's full of incredibly cute moments. Daffodil's "swimming" animation is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ravenfood posted:

I can't find a thread for it but it was raved about here, so I'm asking here. In Spiritfarer, if you bring two people to the Everdoor at the same time, do they go through sequentially? At the same time? Separate events? I have two people who can go but I'm not sure I've made Alice ecstatic yet so I don't want to go before I can bake her her favorite food, but also feel bad keeping Summer on my ship for longer than she wanted. Also, any way to check whether you've made someone ecstatic before? I just wanna make everyone as happy as I can on my boat. :shobon:

Game's full of incredibly cute moments. Daffodil's "swimming" animation is great.

You get an interact notification for them both and can choose which one you want to take first. You can always decline if you decide you don't want to take either of them then. The sequence drops you back outside the starting docks either way so you'll have to make two trips for them.

Daffodil has some great animations. I love the one for rushing crops where he sings along with your little guitar melody.