Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

Tolkien would be a lovely DM. He'd make you translate an entire language to solve a single puzzle then when the door opens you have to listen to him sing an entire loving song.

And why did we spend a whole session hanging out with his weirdo rhyming dmpc and his hot wife, fuckin six hours and all we did is listen to this guys stupid lyrics and eat cream cakes in the woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There was a whole webcomic about how Lord of the Rings would make a terrible D&D campaign.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

sebmojo posted:

The game agrees, and doesn't really push you to pick that route

Honestly I think that's my favorite part about Cyberpunk. The game spent so much effort on making out Johnny to be The Coolest Dude Ever in the prerelease marketing and everything and then really, really goes to great lengths to say 'jesus gently caress Johnny you are such a piece of poo poo' when you actually play it.

It's one of the more interesting depictions of a narcissist in media that I've seen.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

There's a quest with a radical iconoclast in cyberpunk and in the wrapup Johnny has the biggest poo poo-eating grin about the whole thing and it rules

The spectator in bg2 also ruled cause it was a nice fella and would chat it out with you. This comes from the monster manual they were introduced in, where it says spectators are here for a job and will explain what requires them to kill you if you just chat it out

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I really like the opening mission (saving Sandra from the scavs). In fifteen minutes you learn the most important aspects of the Cyberpunk world and how V fits into it. It's really effective world building.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I am actually shocked and kind of ashamed of how much I liked Johnny by the end of the game , at least in some of the endings

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

credburn posted:

Slang takes a long time to reach some ears.

jesus, he must be a giant

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think Johnny's deal is that he's what a Protagonist looks like from the outside, specifically as a roommate. Well, headmate.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

He also, depending on your ending, realizes he was a turd and changed. He's not a saint at the end, but actually manages to care about others.

Its a bit like the tweet where a libertarian takes mdma and realizes other people have feelings too, through living with V johnny realizes other people are struggling too and are not all just "corporate puppets".

I wouldn't say I ended up liking him, but I ended up understanding him and that goes a long way.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Vic posted:

When slavs learn english they tend to pick up on the U being pronounced like A the last. So when me and my friends were playing Shadowrun on the Genesis/Megadrive we would read the chum/chummer as choom/choomer.

My wife makes fun of me about it. I didn't have access to non-written media!!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation keeps pushing for more and more epicness during the Cairo sections. A minotaur and a dragon, although both mostly obstacles. The locust swarms are dumb as hell though as the only way to get rid of them is to save and reload when they show up.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The fact that every player can have a totally different take on Johnny despite playing thr same game is pretty cool. Love CP2077

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Johnny at worst is a humongous rear end in a top hat. Lmao comparing him to Ted loving Faro

gently caress Ted Faro

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Joey Freshwater posted:

Johnny at worst is a humongous rear end in a top hat. Lmao comparing him to Ted loving Faro

gently caress Ted Faro

I've seen the name faro in horizon zero dawn and I'm excited to find out why everyone on SA says gently caress Ted Faro all the time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ilmucche posted:

I've seen the name faro in horizon zero dawn and I'm excited to find out why everyone on SA says gently caress Ted Faro all the time

It's because he's a real gently caress

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ilmucche posted:

When you learn why you'll know just what to say, right here in this thread.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Johnny is a tremendous rear end in a top hat who does a lot of terrible things but at least he tried to nuke a trillion-dollar corporation and that's praxis.

Ted Faro is a trillion-dollar corporation. I would say gently caress Ted Faro for that reason alone. But,

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ilmucche posted:

It's because he's incredible handsome and charming. Everyone should gently caress Ted Faro.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It's because he's incredible handsome and charming. Everyone should gently caress Ted Faro.

Go to bed Mr. Musk.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Ted Faro is from Horizon? I thought he was a Canadian sports guy that everyone hated for some reason :confused:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

I am actually shocked and kind of ashamed of how much I liked Johnny by the end of the game , at least in some of the endings

That's the other fun bit - Johnny is genuinely like, actually charismatic and likeable at times. That's why everyone in his past still liked him enough to keep going back to him despite him being a huge piece of poo poo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Push El Burrito posted:

Tolkien would be a lovely DM. He'd make you translate an entire language to solve a single puzzle then when the door opens you have to listen to him sing an entire loving song.

On the flipside, he would be absolutely tearing his loving hair out as the group wastes an entire session trying to figure out "Speak friend and enter".

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alhazred posted:

No no, Keanu is the other guy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ilmucche posted:

it's one of the better presented slow burn stories in this kind of game. I should go back and finish that game.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Vic posted:

When slavs learn english they tend to pick up on the U being pronounced like A the last. So when me and my friends were playing Shadowrun on the Genesis/Megadrive we would read the chum/chummer as choom/choomer.

west slavdom doesn’t do that poo poo, we don’t have vowel reduction.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

sebmojo posted:

it's one of the better presented slow burn stories in this kind of game. I should go back and finish that game.

i feel like i'm still pretty early and haven't explored loads. the big robo dinosaurs are kind of scary in a stand up fight

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A little thing in Starcom: Nexus: the names for the technologies you can research. In particular, there's a line of techs that improve your ship's turn rate, one of which is named "Quaternion Comprehension". As a game developer, that one made me smile :allears:

There's also a few that reference the Turbo Encabulator, such as "Magneto-Reluctance":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Thing is you get to a point in the story and you're all "oh man, gently caress Ted Faro". Then you get a bit later and you're like "holy poo poo really gently caress Ted Faro"

Then you get to the bit near the end, and goddamn gently caress Ted Faro. What a dick.

Man playing that game the first time was amazing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Roblo posted:

Thing is you get to a point in the story and you're all "oh man, gently caress Ted Faro". Then you get a bit later and you're like "holy poo poo really gently caress Ted Faro"

Then you get to the bit near the end, and goddamn gently caress Ted Faro. What a dick.

Hell yeah. Faro is so good because you just get to hate him more and more as you learn more about what actually happened. Easily my most despised villain in any media.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was a whole webcomic about how Lord of the Rings would make a terrible D&D campaign.

if you're talking about DM of the rings by Shamus Young (rip) https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=612
I thought the problem was a lovely railroading DM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ishikabibble posted:

That's the other fun bit - Johnny is genuinely like, actually charismatic and likeable at times. That's why everyone in his past still liked him enough to keep going back to him despite him being a huge piece of poo poo.

I mighta said this before, but I got the feeling Johnny is a carefully written case of a major NPC who's the hero of his own story, and has a lot of Protagonist traits that are pretty unbearable from the other side, carried by charisma and plot armour.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Roblo posted:

I've seen his name like once so far. I hope the story isn't purely through finding stuff because the game looks huge and I think I've missed a lot

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All you really need to know about Ted faro is gently caress Ted faro

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ilmucche posted:

I've seen his name like once so far. I hope the story isn't purely through finding stuff because the game looks huge and I think I've missed a lot

You won't miss it, it is part of the main storyline.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

sebmojo posted:

You won't miss it, it is part of the main storyline.

Ok cool. There is so much to do in this game. The hunter grounds (I haven't got to the lodge, but have found like 3) make me use weapons I don't normally use so that's kind of fun.

Some of the challenges seem really hard, and picking upgrade patches to put on is complicated although the re-use mods ability seems pretty useful

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ted Faro is the most realistic depiction of a billionaire in media so far.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The sequel really dropped the gently caress Ted Faro ball.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Hell yeah. Faro is so good because you just get to hate him more and more as you learn more about what actually happened. Easily my most despised villain in any media.

The Seed family from FarCry 5 and Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2 are up there, but yeah, gently caress Ted Faro the absolute most..

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Biplane posted:

Ted Faro is the most realistic depiction of a billionaire in media so far.

And none of us have forgiven him for buying and running Horizon Twitter into the ground, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think the most effective thing about Ted Faro as a villain is how profoundly mediocre he is. He's not an evil genius, mad prophet, supersoldier or ubermench. He's just an out of shape greedy piece of poo poo techbro billionaire. All of us could name a dozen would-be Ted Faro's.

lastly, gently caress--