Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TontoCorazon posted:

Looks like woke to me

And she is going to crush you with rocket batteries that fire magically enhanced rockets that explode into black holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cythereal posted:

And she is going to crush you with rocket batteries that fire magically enhanced rockets that explode into black holes.

drat DEI making black holes

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

I got drunk and bought dragons dogma 2 on a whim this weekend and it seems delightfully janky

My pawn high fived my character after a particularly tough encounter, GOAT

If you like that particular flavor of jank that DD provides its a delightful experience, but goddamn do I miss some of the big monsters from 1. Give me back my hydra!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just realized Blast Corps is in the Switch's N64 library now, and I finally got to play it after only getting to read about it in Nintendo Power back when it came out. And it feels like it's as enjoyably bonkers as I'd hoped. Tired of powersliding various heavy work machines through buildings to clear a path for the runaway nuke carrier? How about jumping into a flying mech suit and butt stomping some skyscrapers instead. I don't know if it's a little thing, but the whole premise is great. It feels like a breath of fresh air for Rare, when I'm not a huge fan of their platformer-centric N64 offerings.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Just finished up Steamworld Dig, great game for $0.89

Speaking of Dig, are there any other games like it? Aside from Dig 2, I mean. Metroidvania with a mining/digging focus.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just realized Blast Corps is in the Switch's N64 library now, and I finally got to play it after only getting to read about it in Nintendo Power back when it came out. And it feels like it's as enjoyably bonkers as I'd hoped. Tired of powersliding various heavy work machines through buildings to clear a path for the runaway nuke carrier? How about jumping into a flying mech suit and butt stomping some skyscrapers instead. I don't know if it's a little thing, but the whole premise is great. It feels like a breath of fresh air for Rare, when I'm not a huge fan of their platformer-centric N64 offerings.

You're just trying to impress me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bussamove posted:

If you like that particular flavor of jank that DD provides its a delightful experience, but goddamn do I miss some of the big monsters from 1. Give me back my hydra!

I never played the first one so I don’t even know what I’m missing! But seriously, it’s like playing Elex or something like that, there’s just this pervasive feeling of stuff feeling weird and rough that’s kind of a breath of fresh air in the current release landscape

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

I never played the first one so I don’t even know what I’m missing! But seriously, it’s like playing Elex or something like that, there’s just this pervasive feeling of stuff feeling weird and rough that’s kind of a breath of fresh air in the current release landscape

“Eurojank by way of Japan” sums up Dragma perfectly, yeah.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

Thanks, everyone--I had a great time working on SH3 (it was my first game as a freelancer), and I'm glad people are still remembering and enjoying it more than twenty years later.

Ha, I didn't know about that! I'm going to have to watch an LP of Ascension one of these days.

+1 to the people praising SH3 for its incidental/observational dialogue. Because it carries that teenaged "i don't know man. poo poo's weird" tone so well, the written thoughts do a great job of reinforcing the vocal performance. But because Heather's voice is so distinctly written in the observational stuff, the vocal performance works its way backwards and reinforces your writing, too. I can read any of the individual lines and easily hear Heather's voice in my head. They're both really good individual pieces of the character, and it's too common that a character's vocal performance doesn't seem to match their internal monologue, so one just sorta overrides the other.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

It may have taken eight goddamn years for the protagonist faction of the Total Warhammer series to get a playable female character, but at least she's a badass at that, being a gothic archmage of death leading an army comprised of perhaps the most brutal guns, artillery, and war machines in the setting.

But Isabella Von Carstein has been playable for awhile?

Alternate answers:
But Morathi was always playable
But Dwarves/Orks don't have :females:
She doesn't look like a Lizardman

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Phoenotopia has a bit where you need to meet a scientist, who is holed up in his lab that's staffed entirely by robots. You tell the robot receptionist that you're applying for an internship, so they subject you to a series of tests, one of which is a trivia quiz. You're told that a) the questions can be about anything you've seen in the lab so far, and b) one wrong question means you're out (via trapdoor dumping you into a pond outside). And then you're asked if you're ready for the quiz. If you select "no" because you want to go look over the lab first, you get told "Incorrect, an intern is always ready" and get dumped in the pond. :allears:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

OutOfPrint posted:

Persona got a Dynasty Warriors and it loving rules. They made a stealth game with RPG encounters a DW style brawler with Persona's particular magic system, and somehow it works.

It brought me into the W Omega Force fold after playing the 1-on-1 DW game and beating it with the same move over and over again left a bad taste over 20 years prior. Don't know why I have such a clear memory of that, but i can remember the exact chopping move, too.

loving Attack on Titan got a Dynasty Warriors and it's absurdly fun (terrible writing elements of the franchise aside). I'm convinced virtually every game genre can support a DW style game within them if you're willing to stretch a little.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Had a blast with it as a teen other than the loving dump truck stages because I could not wrap my strange child mind around the concept of drifting, let alone make the controls work with me.

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Apr 30, 2024

Korremar
Mar 1, 2010

You are so big!
So absolutely HUGE!
Re: musou chat, it's a shame that Riot closed Riot Forge and cut way back on other titles internally, because League would lend itself to such an incredible Dynasty Warriors-like. With the exception of a few characters, basically every champion would translate to it so easily! And Runeterra's seen more than it's fair share of large scale combats, so there's plenty of nobodies to cut through.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

CJacobs posted:

Playing Dead Rising when I remembered all of a sudden that some kinds of survivors will accept firearms. The result comes in the form of a weather report!

HAILSTORM HEADING IN THE DIRECTION OF ADAM THE CLOWN. TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY

edit: they will swiss cheese the gently caress out of you if you get in the way and it rules because it does basically no damage but still stumbles you. This game is full of killer design like that.

Definitely one of my favorite stupid details about this game is that if you unequip all weapons and attempt to press the buttons to go into third person aiming and fire, Frank will spit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Had a blast with it as a teen other than the loving dump truck stages because I could not wrap my strange child mind around the concept of drifting, let alone make the controls work with me.

Haha, the dump truck was the first thing that came up when I mentioned the game elsewhere. I was aware of it from having read about the game back in the day, and yeah, trying it in person is...something. We'll see how it feels outside the intro stage, but at least the other vehicles seem fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Definitely one of my favorite stupid details about this game is that if you unequip all weapons and attempt to press the buttons to go into third person aiming and fire, Frank will spit.

There's a drink you can mix that makes the spit insanely OP>

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Korremar posted:

Re: musou chat, it's a shame that Riot closed Riot Forge and cut way back on other titles internally, because League would lend itself to such an incredible Dynasty Warriors-like. With the exception of a few characters, basically every champion would translate to it so easily! And Runeterra's seen more than it's fair share of large scale combats, so there's plenty of nobodies to cut through.

There's plenty of strong reasons to hate Riot already but this is a tiny little one that I feel in my heart, yeah. :sigh:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Marcade posted:

Speaking of Dig, are there any other games like it? Aside from Dig 2, I mean. Metroidvania with a mining/digging focus.

Only thing I know of that's sort of close is Dome Keeper, but that's a wave defense game and not a Metroidvania at all. Still a great game in its own right, spent a lot of time on it around launch and have been waiting ever since for more information on the multiplayer they teased a long time ago.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Only thing I know of that's sort of close is Dome Keeper, but that's a wave defense game and not a Metroidvania at all. Still a great game in its own right, spent a lot of time on it around launch and have been waiting ever since for more information on the multiplayer they teased a long time ago.

Motherlode was the original iirc, could try this?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While I have extremely mixed opinions on the System Shock remake, including its adherence to the original, it is still really cool to be able to watch gameplay of the original version and recognize areas because they're so faithfully matched up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

John Murdoch posted:

While I have extremely mixed opinions on the System Shock remake, including its adherence to the original, it is still really cool to be able to watch gameplay of the original version and recognize areas because they're so faithfully matched up.

What didn't you like, just the old school obtuseness?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Marcade posted:

You're just trying to impress me.

Haven't played it myself but this used to get brought up in response to Dig 1: https://store.steampowered.com/app/264060/Full_Bore/ Maybe a bit more of a block puzzler?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sebmojo posted:

What didn't you like, just the old school obtuseness?

You can check the other thread for a taste. :v:

I actually didn't find it too obtuse, save for a couple of specific hiccups, but it probably helped that I was already loosely familiar with the plot progression. Quick bullet points off the top of my head:

- I'm rarely a big fan of lavishly faithful remakes to begin with, but admittedly it's a bit different in this case because SS1 is a lot less accessible. Still, originally they were going to put a new spin on it before people complained.

- A general sense of weirdness in how it tries to merge modern sensibilities with old school design. I like the graphics, mind, but the combat feels odd for how flat yet flashy it is. Basically every enemy projectile attack either looks or feels janky as hell, too.

- The grid based inventory and recycling mechanic add a bunch unnecessary headaches and are questionably designed, while also being things not in the original at all.

- Cyberspace still sucks, but sucks in new ways. They removed all of the interesting stuff, up to and including weapon upgrades, the new graphics don't work for me at all, and most of the levels are needlessly long and unforgiving. It's so simplified that I referred to it as a minimum viable product.

- Lots of general UI gripes (tiny font size, blink and you'll miss 'em tutorial popups), missing features (inventory auto sort), dumb mistakes (conveyance issues with the circuit and wire puzzles).

- Kickstarteritis, where various things feel off or unfinished. I started playing with the big new patch and midway through there was another that fixed stuff like custom map markers being broken + adding the ability to label them. Completely retooling the Shodan fight a year after the fact also speaks for itself.

I also have various gripes with level layouts and flow and such, but best I can tell 95% of that is straight out of the original. Edit: I guess the remake does add more boss fights, and...they don't really work because of the retro combat feel and the existence of emp grenades.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 15:52 on May 1, 2024

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Love that the map in Another Crab's Treasure is basically a parody of Elden Ring's painted map

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

TontoCorazon posted:

Love that the map in Another Crab's Treasure is basically a parody of Elden Ring's painted map

My favorite little thing in Another Crab's Treasure (so far) has been the loan shark.

It's just one of those shark grabber toys sticking out of the water, also he's wearing a hat.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Fifty Farts posted:

My favorite little thing in Another Crab's Treasure (so far) has been the loan shark.

It's just one of those shark grabber toys sticking out of the water, also he's wearing a hat.

Its an incredibly charming game

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

My first exposure to the game was watching a streamer reading the pharmacy receipt and I gotta say, sold me hard.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you can gun parry in rise of the ronin like bloodborne, poo poo's tight

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've started replaying Tears of the Kingdom this week, and I love the moment in these games where you get out of the tutorial and just have a big open map waiting for you to explore however you want. It's such a nice feeling every time, even having played the game before.

Of course it's fun as you get stronger and get more items, but there's something special about setting out with nothing but the stone on your back and a few markers on your map.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I have more little things from Another Crab's Treasure:
-magic is called Umami
-I had a sudden understanding of the meaning of the phrase "small fry" when the large lobster guards kept calling Kril that
-Kril's running and arm-flailing swimming animations are really cute

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Final Fantasy 7 - Rebirth: They treat the cursed card game subplot with the exact right amount of seriousness, which is it is played entirely seriously, and somewhat horrifying.

Assassins Creed 3: You can pet the dog, cow and goat! (The cats ignore you). You can feed the pig, chicken and turkey! It was in the previous games, but you can still mount the horse!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've started replaying Tears of the Kingdom this week, and I love the moment in these games where you get out of the tutorial and just have a big open map waiting for you to explore however you want. It's such a nice feeling every time, even having played the game before.

Of course it's fun as you get stronger and get more items, but there's something special about setting out with nothing but the stone on your back and a few markers on your map.

Yeah, Tears was great for that, I loved just traveling the world.
Even though the game had a ton of fast travel and vehicle options the first time I played I would sometimes just ride a horse down the various roads just to see what I would bump into.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fifty Farts posted:

-magic is called Umami
-I had a sudden understanding of the meaning of the phrase "small fry" when the large lobster guards kept calling Kril that

I'll have to pick this up (not on the Nintendo's Witch because it is apparently laggy and terrible on that game's console)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fifty Farts posted:

-magic is called Umami

I haven’t fired up the full game yet but is “Give Kril a gun” still an accessibility option like it was in the demo?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bussamove posted:

I haven’t fired up the full game yet but is “Give Kril a gun” still an accessibility option like it was in the demo?

Very much, yes

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Can't wait to get to Anor Londo

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Another Crab's Treasure has a ton of accessibility options which do very minor things, too. I've been playing with "Falls don't make you lose currency" and "Increased iframes on dodge" without touching the rest, which is good for just wandering around/exploring.

You can also turn them off, too. So after you get to the first main city of the game, the game opens up a bit more and lets you start exploring The Sands Between. You're given your goal (collect all the Lord Souls so you may open the Lordvessel, yadda yadda) and then told to go directly to the Grove, which is North of town. Early spoilers from here: When you leave New Carcinia to explore The Sands Between, you're told to explicitly stay on the path marked by highly-reflective Life Preservers. These are "scented" to protect travelers from The Beast, who is said to roam the sands in search of prey. If you wander even a little too far from the path, "Pagurus, the Ravenous" will appear to chase you down and eat you alive. You are meant to tiptoe through this area and avoid going off the path so that you don't spawn Pagurus in, or else he's likely to just swoop in and pursue you/kill you if you stray too far. He has a ton of health, an attack that will cause you to be Frightened (hide in your shell, forced to block, unable to attack) and he has a Knife & Fork that he dual-wields to strike you with. One of the unblockable attacks is just a grab attack where he pins you to the ground, saws you with the Knife, and eats you alive. But, most importantly: he has a health bar. :black101:

I turned off my Assist Mode options so I could fight him just as anybody else would encounter him, and kicked his rear end. Granted, it took about a dozen tries/about half an hour, and during one attempt I got knocked off the edge just before dealing the killing blow :argh:, but I killed him. He even drops one of the Macguffins for you to take back to the town, and the museum caretaker says "Oh good! You're back from the Grove! Here, let's see where this thing tells us to go next... egad! it looks like the next map piece is being carried by that ravenous crab roaming the Sands Between!" "nope, just killed him. he was carrying the one I gave you" "Hmm, I see... wait, you did what now"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Sands Between is such a good name

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Meowywitch posted:

I'll have to pick this up (not on the Nintendo's Witch because it is apparently laggy and terrible on that game's console)

You give a witch weak ingredients you can’t be mad if she can’t summon the game well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

You give a witch weak ingredients you can’t be mad if she can’t summon the game well.

My strongest ingredients are far too powerful for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Philippe posted:

The Sands Between is such a good name

out of the many many incredible bits of trash with fake brands on them, one of them is Elder Bay Seasoning

i think my favorite fake brand though is the Bicolas branded lighters