Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Kanfy posted:

- In the game you also have access to a codec-like phone which you can use to call various people by typing in a phone number. One of the numbers you get is for "LoveLine", and calling there twice (IIRC) nets you this pretty great conversation.

Haha

In Ikari III for nintendo you fistfight a ton of fairly samey enemy soldiers. As you get into the third level or so they start to drop the pretense of being realistic and suddenly start acting like "video game enemies," like there will be a guy continually jumping up and down and spin-kicking, or a group of guys carrying other guys who hurl them at you as projectiles. The sight of realistic-ish army man characters suddenly breaking kayfabe to act like koopa troopas is just funny to me I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kimmalah posted:

The note on his body is also a hint that the key on his body allows you to unlock a tiny model house inside one of the homes in Minefield.

That is my favorite container in the entire game. :allears:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
There is a set of costume accessories in Killer Instinct Season 2 that makes TJ Combo look exactly like Kimbo Slice and I will grind endlessly until I unlock them.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I really like how the different chapters of Evil Within have separate "themes" and teach you about different things. I'm going to put the examples of what different chapters teach you in spoilers just in case: Chapters 2, 3 and 4 are about stealth and ammo conservation as well as use of matches; chapters 6 and I think most of 7 are about combat and crowd control, and chapter 9 (maybe 8 too, I forget) is about utilizing the environment itself to save health and ammo. It somehow makes the game a lot more memorable than most, even if its teachings come by the way of "figure it out or get hosed", with no hand holding.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

smuh posted:

I really like how the different chapters of Evil Within have separate "themes" and teach you about different things. I'm going to put the examples of what different chapters teach you in spoilers just in case: Chapters 2, 3 and 4 are about stealth and ammo conservation as well as use of matches; chapters 6 and I think most of 7 are about combat and crowd control, and chapter 9 (maybe 8 too, I forget) is about utilizing the environment itself to save health and ammo. It somehow makes the game a lot more memorable than most, even if its teachings come by the way of "figure it out or get hosed", with no hand holding.

Chapter 3 teaches you all those things though.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Chapter 3 teaches you all those things though.
You can learn them all in chapter 3, yeah, but in the examples I had they're completely necessary. I really don't remember if chapter 9 or 8 was the catacombs level, but those enemies are huge bullet sponges and dangerous up close, the chapter gives you gently caress all for matches and ammo, and there are traps everywhere. Also, I don't think I ever had to deal with crowds at all until chapter 6, which while being the weakest chapter so far, at least had variance to gameplay up to that point. 2 to 4 felt like they encouraged stealth above all.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Sad lions posted:

The enemy marking system in MGS Ground Zeroes (and soon Phantom Pain) is an absolutely fantastic system that encourages doing a spot of recon before moving in.
Unlike other games that hand you a pair of binoculars that you end up never using this one allows you to see marked enemies through walls to make up for the lack of radar.
Of course you can still be surprised and turn a corner to find a guard whose patrol route was out of view from your vantage point but that's where the reflex ability will save you instead.
It's a neat system that rewards planning but also doesn't require perfection to get the whole stealth thing down.

I disagree. To me marking systems in any game make them way too easy. Especially in a series like MGS where half of the rush comes from being alert at all times because you never know where an enemy is at. Granted, I can just not use it and I don't, but the fact that it is there at all just seems like its kind of defeating the point of the game. I also hated the soliton radar in the previous games and turned it off the second the option was available. The only "helper" mechanic that I appreciated was the sound ring in MGS4 that helped give you directional awareness for noises that normal speakers cannot provide themselves.

I am doubly unimpressed with the reflex system. I don't want to be given a helping hand when I gently caress up and get discovered. I want to be punished with a hail of bullets for my mistake.

Ground Zeroes was amazing and has added a lot to the formula that the series desperately needed (wide open levels!). But it's also added a lot of hand-holding that I just don't appreciate.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Esroc posted:

I disagree. To me marking systems in any game make them way too easy. Especially in a series like MGS where half of the rush comes from being alert at all times because you never know where an enemy is at. Granted, I can just not use it and I don't, but the fact that it is there at all just seems like its kind of defeating the point of the game. I also hated the soliton radar in the previous games and turned it off the second the option was available. The only "helper" mechanic that I appreciated was the sound ring in MGS4 that helped give you directional awareness for noises that normal speakers cannot provide themselves.

I am doubly unimpressed with the reflex system. I don't want to be given a helping hand when I gently caress up and get discovered. I want to be punished with a hail of bullets for my mistake.

Ground Zeroes was amazing and has added a lot to the formula that the series desperately needed (wide open levels!). But it's also added a lot of hand-holding that I just don't appreciate.

I will totally admit it led to me abusing the reflex to an absurd level. Not so bad in hard mode though since their visual range is much higher. I figure a better way of balancing the use of that is to take away points every time it happens rather than only if it happens the once.
One thing I really do appreciate is is that you can't just stand there taking damage and huffing rations any more.
It forces you to consider your position in open combat and to take explosives a lot more seriously than previous games in the series.

My first time crawling over a claymore was... surprising.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

So why not turn off the Reflex system? That's specifically an option in the game.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I love the fact that a lot of games are including a photo mode that allows you to change the camera angle and apply silly filters.

I spend way too much time screwing around with it, and I get to do stupid poo poo like this:

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

^^^^^^ Yep, favorite little thing of this gen. Shadow of Mordor got the feature patched in too and the internet is already filled with pictures people keep taking. I think I've spent like 5 hours just taking pictures so far :kiddo:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Esroc posted:

You can specifically turn off all those things you hate, and I tell you flat out as someone whose first MGS game was Ground Zeroes I wouldn't have played it for 5 minutes without those mechanics. The series is already loving ridiculously difficult to get in to. These small concessions to new and/or terrible players are huge and will help the series in the long run retain popularity.

I have gone and tried Peace Walker and MGS2 since, and Christ they are difficult to play as someone new to the series.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

smuh posted:

^^^^^^ Yep, favorite little thing of this gen. Shadow of Mordor got the feature patched in too and the internet is already filled with pictures people keep taking. I think I've spent like 5 hours just taking pictures so far :kiddo:

I think Shadow of Mordor's is the best one yet. The game is extremely photogenic.

These were mine from the other night.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shhhh, No tears. Only dreams now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Smelly posted:

These were mine from the other night.

Ugh, the more I see of this game, the more I think of not bothering to get another good Assassin's Creed game for my library and just going straight to SoM instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Ugh, the more I see of this game, the more I think of not bothering to get another good Assassin's Creed game for my library and just going straight to SoM instead.

This would be a good choice.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A stupid thing, but when I noticed it it made me smile: in Dissidia, in each of the scenarios for a character from Final Fantasies I to X you can find a chest containing an amount of gil corresponding to the that character's game's year of release. It would probably be just a weird random number to people not familiar with the series, but Dissidia devs knew their audience.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Smelly posted:

The Uruk are extremely photogenic.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GARBAK WANT BE MALE MODEL. GARBAK LOOK GOOD IN SPEEDO.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

toasterwarrior posted:

I've never played any of the AssCreed games, what would you/others suggest? I'm 42 hours into SoM and it's still just so much fun. It's the little things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

toasterwarrior posted:

the more I think of not bothering to get another good Assassin's Creed game for my library

Well there's only one good Assassin's Creed game so it's not like you have much choice.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

mng posted:

I've never played any of the AssCreed games, what would you/others suggest? I'm 42 hours into SoM and it's still just so much fun. It's the little things.

What AssCreed games would we suggest? I'm in the Assassin's Creed 2 camp. 2, Brotherhood, and (to a slightly lesser extent) Revelations are all a lot of fun. They go on sale on Steam regularly too - you could probably get them for $5 each if you kept an eye out.

If you ever want to play the first AssCreed, I would strongly recommend playing it first, because it's almost too primitive to tolerate after you've played its sequels.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

mng posted:

Depends how far back you want to go; AssCreed 1 is definately skippable. Theres a kernal of a good game there but its repetitive as poo poo. AssCreed 2 is generally accepted to be an improvement in pretty much every area. It spawned its own trilogy (Asscreed 2, asscreed brotherhood and Asscreed Revelations). A lot of people reckon Brotherhood is the high point of the series, though how much of a dip it takes for revelations is a matter of debate. Soome people hated it, I thought it was good just not as good as Brotherhood personally.

Assassins Creed 3 is the drizzling shits for a variety of reasons. Assassins Creed IV is a pretty good pirate game, but is the least like SoM because of the increased emphasis on ship combat. To be honest it was probably for the best because even as someone who would generally say I liked the series the central gameplay by the time you get to IV would be charitably described as "tired".

So, if you are willing to go back to last gen stuff and want to play assassins creed, I'd recommend skipping 1 and starting with 2, then brotherhood and then revelations if you like the main character of 2 enough to get a coda on his story. 3 is skippable, 4 is good but more of a pirate game for a large amount of its runtime. 4 is also the only one thats on next gen consoles if thats your thing. New one is due shortly which promises to improve the combat and parkour. I'll play it eventually but Im waiting on reviews because "We've improved the parkour and combat" is something they have promised with literally every AC game since 2 and its never been what you would call completely true.

Just so you are aware, the stealth, assassination and parkour elements of SoM are very similar to thhe AC games, the combat in AC is not nearly as good as Arkham, so isnt as good as SoM. A lot of the time the most efficient way to win fights in AssCreed is to switch to your hidden blde or bare hands and block then counter enemies and then do a streak of assassination kills. Not massively engaging, but I like messing around with the extra ways of killing people, smoke bombs and frenzy poisons and rope darts and so on.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Oct 18, 2014

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

2/BroHood/Revelations has a decent story and character progression, and the equipment and mechanics work well enough.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

mng posted:

AC2 and Brotherhood are probably what you want, Black Flag is also very good but has an emphasis on pirate stuff so if you don't care about that I'd guess you wouldn't enjoy it that much. The rest of the series is pretty much garbage honestly.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Paradox games are pretty well-known for having humorous events, but even the various tooltip descriptions can be pretty chuckleworthy at times.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Kanfy posted:

Paradox games are pretty well-known for having humorous events, but even the various tooltip descriptions can be pretty chuckleworthy at times.

I don't get it. I mean, I understand that 'turn the other cheek' doesn't mean what they imply it to mean here, but I don't understand what they are implying it to mean.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I believe they mean instead of meaning "respond non-violently to your oppressor", I think they mean more in the "taking your ball and going home" in response to seeing your enemies.

Either that or it means 'enemies' in an ironic sense, that the character will act contrarily to whomever the perceive as an enemy.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

umalt posted:

I believe they mean instead of meaning "respond non-violently to your oppressor", I think they mean more in the "taking your ball and going home" in response to seeing your enemies.

Either that or it means 'enemies' in an ironic sense, that the character will act contrarily to whomever the perceive as an enemy.

Long story short, the joke is that it's the complete opposite of Jesus' original message of "Treat others as you'd want to be treated, for if you love and show kindness only to those who love you already, what have you gained?"

Edit: See here

Doctor Bishop has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Oct 19, 2014

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

also im pretty sure its a butt joke

content: tomodachi life is surreal as hell

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Dad Jokes posted:

also im pretty sure its a butt joke

content: tomodachi life is surreal as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvC9d6VQwOo
All hail the roast beef.
Watch out for outbreaks of baked beans too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvC9d6VQwOo
All hail the roast beef.
Watch out for outbreaks of baked beans too.

What the hell is this game, how have I never heard about this before. :psyduck:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's by the WarioWare guys. That should tell you pretty much everything you need to know about why it's so fuckin surreal and weird.

Do note that it's also a really good game with a lot of funny stuff to do, it manages to be consistently entertaining whether you've got 5 people on your island or 30.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Long story short, the joke is that it's the complete opposite of Jesus' original message of "Treat others as you'd want to be treated, for if you love and show kindness only to those who love you already, what have you gained?"
Well, yes, as I said, I get that. But the paragraph is 'don't help your enemy; instead, turn the other cheek.' Which implies that 'turn the other cheek' is a bad thing. But I don't understand how it could be. It's like they said 'don't help your enemy; instead, a stitch in time saves nine'. How do you interpret 'turn the other cheek' as 'hurt your enemy'?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The joke is that you turn your head and look away when your enemy is in need of help.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

How do you interpret 'turn the other cheek' as 'hurt your enemy'?

'Turn your face away, to ignore their suffering.'

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm pretty sure it's used in an ironic sense. Most people, when they hear the phrase, they think 'ignore the ill will spread by my oppressors'. The description there rephrases it so it's not entirely wrong, but it changes the dynamic so that you are actively oppressing against your enemy.

So digress a bit, I was once told that the commonly believed interpretation of 'Turn the other cheek' is actually incorrect. The phrase originates from the teachings of Jesus in relation of how one acts with their oppressors. 2000 years ago, the Romans would often use their left(?) hands to clean their feces, creating very strong connotations with left hands and uncleanliness. Thus, when they wanted to show disrespect, Roman soldiers would smack their left hands across the face of those who they subjugated. Jesus and his followers were common targets of the Roman soldiers, and would often be hit by soldier's poo hands. Jesus would often teach his followers to turn their cheek to force Romans to hit them with the other hand. Thus, the phrase 'Turn the Other Cheek' was not merely a plea of non-violence, but a call to demand to be seen as one's equal. Point being, if this story is indeed true, that the description presented is still taking the wrong message by describing you as the oppressor.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So digress a bit, I was once told that the commonly believed interpretation of 'Turn the other cheek' is actually incorrect. The phrase originates from the teachings of Jesus in relation of how one acts with their oppressors. 2000 years ago, the Romans would often use their left(?) hands to clean their feces, creating very strong connotations with left hands and uncleanliness. Thus, when they wanted to show disrespect, Roman soldiers would smack their left hands across the face of those who they subjugated. Jesus and his followers were common targets of the Roman soldiers, and would often be hit by soldier's poo hands. Jesus would often teach his followers to turn their cheek to force Romans to hit them with the other hand. Thus, the phrase 'Turn the Other Cheek' was not merely a plea of non-violence, but a call to demand to be seen as one's equal. Point being, if this story is indeed true, that the description presented is still taking the wrong message by describing you as the oppressor.

Nice story, but the Romans used sponges on sticks to clean themselves. (And that should put another bible scene in a different light...)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Alien: Isolation is pretty great so far in my opinion. It can get pretty dang frustrating at times, but... when it decides to scare you, it really loving scares you. My rudimentary understanding of how they made the Alien behave is that they made several 'levels' of AI that would sequentially unlock as you played the game, creating the illusion of an enemy that learns from you. Pretty neat. I was playing an hour or so ago, and up til then, the Alien had never actually gone into any of the vents that I had access to. I had witnessed it jumping into overhead vents, and watched it travel really fast on my motion tracker, but... never in the wall or floor vents.

I had just gotten to one of my objectives and was trying to move onward to at least find a save point. I'm creeping through this hospital area, and I hear people talking. I hide in a floor vent and keep on trucking, all the while listening to the Alien eviscerate the humans. The screaming stops, I check my tracker, it's gone... no, wait. It's coming back this way. Better stay hidden. I turn around to keep the blip on my tracker in my field of view, and OH gently caress it drops down into my vent from above and it kills me. Scared the pee out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Just played through Dishonored's dlc The Brigmore Witches and I just noticed that just before the end the magical scribblings and presumably some of the painting, given the location of the flasks, were done in whale oil. The whales in the game have something of an unrevealed connection to the Outsider and his gifts.
Also, the transition to the Void when you make the leap of faith is something special. No impact or anything physical so much the world just appears in front of you like you were always just standing there and woke up