Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Doesn’t SR2 have you burn a dude’s hand off using pyrotechnics?

Yeah, he's a professional guitar player. Well, was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Somfin posted:

I just watched it again. If you do search for it, for reference, buried alive kid tried to kill Gat, his girlfriend Aisha, and the Boss, resulting in a dead Aisha and a critically injured Gat; sicced the Boss on one of his own superiors to try to get a promotion, which failed; tried to kill Gat in the hospital, which failed; and then tried another assassination attempt on Gat and the Boss at Aisha's funeral, which failed; all driven by wanting his father to respect him.

I forgot just how hosed up that game was underneath all the gameyness of its systems.

Killing Aisha is the thing Gat's the most pissed off about, and it isn't even the guy's fault. He tasks his lieutenant with killing Gat, the lieutenant breaks into their house while Gat's gone and takes Aisha as a hostage, then kills her when she shouts a warning when Gat and the Boss are coming back. Buried alive guy's not involved beyond ordering a generic hit.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

Killing Aisha is the thing Gat's the most pissed off about, and it isn't even the guy's fault. He tasks his lieutenant with killing Gat, the lieutenant breaks into their house while Gat's gone and takes Aisha as a hostage, then kills her when she shouts a warning when Gat and the Boss are coming back. Buried alive guy's not involved beyond ordering a generic hit.

Gat and the Boss aren't known for their mastery of nuance.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Ariong posted:

Yeah, he's a professional guitar player. Well, was.

Matt survives until the like second to last Brotherhood mission, and then gets his skull pulped with a brick offscreen. I think his death gets mentioned in the post mission newspaper

Speaking of which, the newspaper for rousting the homeless people out of your new base has the delightful headline: STILLWATER HOMELESS NOW MORE HOMELESS.

The hobos can't catch a break either, once you kill the vengeful remnants that have taken up residence in a local tourist trap(long story) the newspaper notes "civic minded Saints clean Stillwater streets"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Foxfire_ posted:

Shogo disrupting Aisha's funeral is the thing Gat's most pissed off about. Gat even says something along the lines of "I'll happily kill you any other day, but not today. Piss off."

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I just want to echo how great the Saints Row 2 stuff is. You have all these sombre, disturbing and maniacal set pieces and cut scenes and they'll play out (fairly) straight (voodoo aside) and hit strong chords with you... unless you choose to make it loving ridiculous by dressing as an obese hotdog.

I hope to god they do that reboot. Bring the zaniness way back to what it was unless YOU choose to amp it up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Drunken Baker posted:

I just want to echo how great the Saints Row 2 stuff is. You have all these sombre, disturbing and maniacal set pieces and cut scenes and they'll play out (fairly) straight (voodoo aside) and hit strong chords with you... unless you choose to make it loving ridiculous by dressing as an obese hotdog.

I hope to god they do that reboot. Bring the zaniness way back to what it was unless YOU choose to amp it up.

Agents of Mayhem was the reboot.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Guy Mann posted:

Agents of Mayhem was the reboot.

Agents of Mayhem died on the way back to its home planet.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

FFT posted:

I've had a 980 for a while, but I recently upgraded from a pair of 1600x1200s to a 4k and yeah, wandering around in GTA Online has become a form of meditation for me.

On the topic of meditative GTA Online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDRKbYNjRic

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Gauntlet IV for the Genesis

What don't I like about this game? It's a non-linear Gauntlet game with great music and with multiplayer the final boss becomes such an awesome experience. I wish I knew of an LP made by non-terrible people of this game because drat it was so good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm watching the LP by Kalon Zombie of the first game in the Tomb Raider reboot and just remembered how much I loved this line from the villain of that game, on Lara killing a lot of his friends and why he's not mad at her, or concerned: "We're both survivors, girl! I've just been doing this a whole lot longer :smug:"

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Thanks to whoever posted about Horizon Zero Dawn. I picked it up on a lark for my ps4 and it's amazing. The voice acting is good, the protagonist is awesome and the graphics are beyond stunning. I honestly have no complaints about it so far, about 6 hours in.

Favourite little thing: the way foraging works. In most games I don't interact with the crafting at all but in this I'm making bombs and potions all the time. loving great

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

One of the first things Monster Hunter World did was ask how I wanted my subtitles. Thank you Capcom

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In the other thread I bitched about the Hard Trafficking challenge in Saints Row 3, but I figured it out and beat it! Nearly 100%ed the central island! Also I like some of the locations, like the Gothedral even if I can't go inside them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

Thanks to whoever posted about Horizon Zero Dawn. I picked it up on a lark for my ps4 and it's amazing. The voice acting is good, the protagonist is awesome and the graphics are beyond stunning. I honestly have no complaints about it so far, about 6 hours in.

Favourite little thing: the way foraging works. In most games I don't interact with the crafting at all but in this I'm making bombs and potions all the time. loving great

Spoilers for the late game: Aloy doesn't think that the world is flat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Spoilers for the late game: Aloy doesn't think that the world is flat.

Something I really love about that is it's not because of her Focus' map or ancient knowledge, she just figured it out herself by looking at the Earth's shadow on the Moon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One of my favorite moments early in the story is when Aloy hears that "alpha registry corrupted" message and the tribal leader interprets this as "the lands are corrupted, you must cleanse them my child."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nah, the best will always be the mug collector guy.

"Maybe they just... drank out of them?"

"What? No way, don't be stupid."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

One of my favorite moments early in the story is when Aloy hears that "alpha registry corrupted" message and the tribal leader interprets this as "the lands are corrupted, you must cleanse them my child."

I love towards the end of the game when they try to set Aloy up a a prophet after she enters the All Mother, only for her to rebuff them with (paraphrased) "nonononono. After the bullshit you put me through from birth over things that I had no control over you do not get to do that. gently caress off. There are people in trouble, all of which are better than you, Imma go save them. Now you can stay here and jerk off in the embrace for another 5000 years or you can help me save the actual world." I also like that Sona comes to the final fight with her son despite her misgivings about leaving the embrace and her plans to return there as soon as things calm down. Sona's cool, she just likes her comfort zone.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I have never played any Monster Hunter game, but I watched a little bit of a friend playing MH World yesterday. I like that this game's setting seems to take the JRPG logic of "gameplay where everything you ever need can always be acquired by hunting monsters" to its logical extreme. There's a ton of civilization oriented specifically around hunting giant beasts, to the point where another friend described the technology level as "cavemanpunk". It makes me want to play the series myself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

BioEnchanted posted:

I love towards the end of the game when they try to set Aloy up a a prophet after she enters the All Mother, only for her to rebuff them with (paraphrased) "nonononono. After the bullshit you put me through from birth over things that I had no control over you do not get to do that. gently caress off. There are people in trouble, all of which are better than you, Imma go save them. Now you can stay here and jerk off in the embrace for another 5000 years or you can help me save the actual world." I also like that Sona comes to the final fight with her son despite her misgivings about leaving the embrace and her plans to return there as soon as things calm down. Sona's cool, she just likes her comfort zone.

One thing I also like about this sequence is that it's a defining character arc moment. If the Nora threw themselves to the ground and started worshipping Aloy at the start of the game, she would have welcomed it. Now that she has a greater sense of purpose through her literal act of self-discovery, she realizes there are way more important things at stake than her own pride in proving the Nora wrong.

John Gonzalez was HZD's narrative director and prior to this game was probably most well-known for being the lead on Fallout: New Vegas. Noclip did a spoiler-heavy interview with him that's really cool if you're into learning more about the whole creative process behind games. The most amusing thing is that he stepped into the role when most of the pillars for the world were already set and back-engineered the entire Zero Dawn plotline from there. It's remarkable that the main narrative ended up being much smarter than you would expect from the premise of 'primitive robot dinosaur hunters.' Obviously don't click if you haven't finished the game since the plot gets spoiled pretty much right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4P7uaaoRcM

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm glad some appreciation for HZD is in here. I bought it because robot dinosaur apocalypse sounded fun. What I got was a surprisingly smart bit of science fiction that I loved every minute of. I mean, it was fairly obvious to me early on that Aloy is a clone. I read enough science fiction to know the tropes. She has no knowledge of cloning at the beginning, so this isn't a solution that occurs to her, which is why she assumes Elisabet must be her mother in the regular sense. That said, the revelation of What was not nearly as interesting as How or Why, and that was a journey that did not disappoint.

What I noticed on my second playthrough is that the blue face markings the Nora use seem to be associated with family identification. Brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, all have the same markings. I would suppose they're passed down matrilinearlly, knowing what we do of the Nora. Their society is fairly egalitarian, but the leadership is definitely tied up in matriarchal roles. Aloy, without them because she is "motherless," is visibly a weirdo in a real way.

Ugh, now if only I had the time to play through the DLC. Which is fabulous, from what I've done. But I have no time for fun.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I remember in the weeks before HZD came out the peanut gallery was poring over one video of a side quest cutscene that had been released, saying it was one of the worst written and acted things they'd ever seen and that the game was totally going to be irredeemable trash and bomb horribly because of it. The fact that the game's writing received nothing but praise from both critics and players once it actually came out is just that much sweeter in light of that.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I don't think I'm even halfway yet but holy poo poo Iconoclasts has some of the most fun bosses I've seen in ages. I'm not really keen on the level design but god drat the boss where you switch between Robin and the shotgun lady repeatedly won me over in a big way.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Sad lions posted:

I don't think I'm even halfway yet but holy poo poo Iconoclasts has some of the most fun bosses I've seen in ages. I'm not really keen on the level design but god drat the boss where you switch between Robin and the shotgun lady repeatedly won me over in a big way.

This is how I feel about Cave Story. CS has a backtracking problems at times, especially in Grasstown and Sand Zone, but it's entirely forgiven because every single one of the bosses is amazing. Everything is fun to dodge, and I don't recall any frustrating or cheap deaths. The final bosses are amazing in context as the sound effects make the otherwise simple melodies feel more bombastic than they are alone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Noclip did a spoiler-heavy interview with him that's really cool if you're into learning more about the whole creative process behind games. The most amusing thing is that he stepped into the role when most of the pillars for the world were already set and back-engineered the entire Zero Dawn plotline from there.

This makes so much sense, given how huge the gulf in quality is between the Zero Dawn plotting and the "modern day" stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I remember in the weeks before HZD came out the peanut gallery was poring over one video of a side quest cutscene that had been released, saying it was one of the worst written and acted things they'd ever seen and that the game was totally going to be irredeemable trash and bomb horribly because of it. The fact that the game's writing received nothing but praise from both critics and players once it actually came out is just that much sweeter in light of that.

Anyone have this video?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone have this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

It's really bad.

The rest of the game wasn't as bad, but most of the tribal stuff is still kind of stilted.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS49tRNBBLE&t=670s

It's good to know that at least one of the people working on Battle Chess: Game of Kings™ had some fun.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Sad lions posted:

the mining wormbot is even better, although it's a tough call.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

It's really bad.

The rest of the game wasn't as bad, but most of the tribal stuff is still kind of stilted.

Oh yeah, I remember that mission.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A lot of the early facial animations are really weird, like they're caught in a rictus grin half the time. It was a little unsettling and I was very confused why the game was getting so much love in that area. Dramatic improvement later on though, so it started making sense. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always love when games are secretly genius in a way that you don't figure out until late game, like Driver: San Francisco -

it starts off as an excuse to have the main character in a coma jumping from car to car in a fluid way, but eventually real tension gets added when you realise that Jericho can do the same thing. Then it starts doing really clever things with the body swap mechanic, like when you possess Jericho towards the end and his girlfriend asks you "If you're here... where's Jericho? :smug:" and you suddenly have to catch up to your own possessed body before Jericho drives it off a cliff, completely turning the tables on the player. Also Jericho's constant phrasing "Wake up Tanner!" which is an obvious taunt based on the coma, but takes Tanner awhile to realise what's really going on - [/spoiler]this version of Jericho is his own subconscious, taunting him to correct his misconceptions[/spoiler]. Why would Jericho be stealing ingredients for a chemical weapon, he's a thief, not a killer! It's not his style" "Wake up, Tanner! Of course it's not really me!" and the lack of consistency in his and Jericho's conditions Wake up Tanner! None of this makes sense!" It's all his subconscious trying to get him to figure out 2 points - 1) the chemical weapon is a decoy, a literal smokescreen and 2) he needs to wake up and stop Jericho as he is the only one who has realised this.

It's surprisingly indepth for a game designed to be arcadey as hell.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I think I'm probably a bit past the halfway point in HZD and honestly it's still great. My only gripe is that bosses and bigger set piece combats are super hard, loving glinthawks. I'm not really a Git Gud kinda pro gamer So I've run it in story mode instead of normal for a couple of those moments and then turned it back after. It's a single player game, the word cheating doesn't really apply.

Still love the crafting system. Way superior to similar games like the witcher. Oh, and the wife pointed out that there's no skimpy medieval bikini armour in the game. Clothes and stuff look functional although I did pity aloy when I had her run in the desert in in +cold resist gear.

Oh. Do I ever get another spear? I've got some improvements with + spear damage and I can't seem to use them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

I think I'm probably a bit past the halfway point in HZD and honestly it's still great. My only gripe is that bosses and bigger set piece combats are super hard, loving glinthawks. I'm not really a Git Gud kinda pro gamer So I've run it in story mode instead of normal for a couple of those moments and then turned it back after. It's a single player game, the word cheating doesn't really apply.

Still love the crafting system. Way superior to similar games like the witcher. Oh, and the wife pointed out that there's no skimpy medieval bikini armour in the game. Clothes and stuff look functional although I did pity aloy when I had her run in the desert in in +cold resist gear.

Oh. Do I ever get another spear? I've got some improvements with + spear damage and I can't seem to use them.

The Spear upgrades are from quests, like the one you get for helping that one NPC in the first area who was attacked by a Big Nasty, until then the +damage enhancement skills are all you can get. The stealth damage increases are quite nice though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You get a new spear at literally the second to last plot mission in the game, it's more of a dangling carrot for NG+ and cleaning up sidequests. Also if you have the Frozen Wilds DLC there's a sidequest there that adds mod slots to your spear.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The secrets in Dying Light are great because they're both legitimately well-hidden (I have no idea how you would find most of them outside of pure luck or a guide), funny often in a trollish way, and give you stuff that is legitimately interesting and different and wonderfully unpolished. Like there's one chimney on one building that has a green warp pipe hidden inside of it, and if you use it it teleports you to a recreation of World 1-1 from Super Mario Bros (complete with Goombas that are just stock zombies with the mushroom model awkwardly clipped through them) and if you jump where the hidden block in 1-1 is then you find a blueprint to create a wingsuit. Said wingsuit, when equipped and used, is just your character holding their arms out in front of them and their fall speed made really slow for a few second. The description is an in-joke about what is presumably one of the devs and it's so low-rent that they didn't even make a custom icon for it. I love it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Air Steelport in Saints Row 3 totally owns. And now I have zombies...

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Iv been playing the Phoenix wright games and iv gotten a little tired of the whole "Phoenix just randomly guesses all the time and gets played for a fool" thing that I felt was super overused. I thought it was just lousy writing, harping on the same gimmick all the time. then I played a different character whose famous for being clever and logical and his sections play exactly like that. He always knows what to say and is never caught off guard. Turns out it's not lousy writing, it's just that Phoenix is that dumb :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

I always love when games are secretly genius in a way that you don't figure out until late game, like Driver: San Francisco -

it starts off as an excuse to have the main character in a coma jumping from car to car in a fluid way, but eventually real tension gets added when you realise that Jericho can do the same thing. Then it starts doing really clever things with the body swap mechanic, like when you possess Jericho towards the end and his girlfriend asks you "If you're here... where's Jericho? :smug:" and you suddenly have to catch up to your own possessed body before Jericho drives it off a cliff, completely turning the tables on the player. Also Jericho's constant phrasing "Wake up Tanner!" which is an obvious taunt based on the coma, but takes Tanner awhile to realise what's really going on - [/spoiler]this version of Jericho is his own subconscious, taunting him to correct his misconceptions[/spoiler]. Why would Jericho be stealing ingredients for a chemical weapon, he's a thief, not a killer! It's not his style" "Wake up, Tanner! Of course it's not really me!" and the lack of consistency in his and Jericho's conditions Wake up Tanner! None of this makes sense!" It's all his subconscious trying to get him to figure out 2 points - 1) the chemical weapon is a decoy, a literal smokescreen and 2) he needs to wake up and stop Jericho as he is the only one who has realised this.

It's surprisingly indepth for a game designed to be arcadey as hell.

And the ending race is a fantastic 'boss battle' because of the character no longer being in the coma, they cannot do anything superhuman.