Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Screaming Idiot posted:

Goddammit, Bill Pullman isn't on Cameo. :(

Isn't he dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If he's not on Cameo, he may as well be. :colbert:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

PubicMice posted:

Isn't he dead?

Still alive. Maybe you're thinking of Bill Paxton?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Triarii posted:

I ended up skipping most of the optional content so I never did any of the challenges that would've demanded using the special movement options, which meant that most of them just felt like "press an extra button to do a neat little thing in certain contexts" and that didn't help much with the baseline feeling of non-control that I was struggling with.

And I have actually never played any skateboarding game at all! Kinda weird actually.
I'm not a big fan of skateboarding games either, but if you have a PS3 give Skate 3 a try. I think it will give you some of what you're looking for in terms of momentum-based gameplay with a high skill ceiling and a lot of manual control of your movement.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not a big fan of skateboarding games either, but if you have a PS3 give Skate 3 a try. I think it will give you some of what you're looking for in terms of momentum-based gameplay with a high skill ceiling and a lot of manual control of your movement.

Same but the one that I hit on in a big way was tony hawk's american wasteland. Has the most interesting thematic elements and some interesting context for the final missions. Also I appreciate in Jinx that you keep all items, even keys. I ended a level with a key that was for a door at the start of the level for a sidequest, and was able to just go back into the level and use it rather than having to backtrack a long way.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Nov 30, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Very very tiny attention to detail in Death Stranding: You can put little accessories on your backpack which give you small bonuses to things like your ability to sense enemies and the amount of materials you receive from pickups. One of these charms is a small silver bell. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it actually jingles as you walk around and it jingles louder if you shake it a lot! It's just that it's so tiny that I figured they wouldn't bother but nope, the Kojima Attention To Detail levels are still as high as they've ever been.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The foley details in DS are absolutely crazy, it's my favorite 7.1 mix of the year. In the infamous Monster drinking cutscene the can crackles a little bit just before it's thrown in the trash. The Timefall Porter doesn't crackle as much because beer cans are made from thicker metal sheets

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

tribbledirigible posted:

Still alive. Maybe you're thinking of Bill Paxton?

gently caress, I just realized I'll never get to hear Bill Paxton read Sonic fanfiction

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ruffian Price posted:

The foley details in DS are absolutely crazy, it's my favorite 7.1 mix of the year. In the infamous Monster drinking cutscene the can crackles a little bit just before it's thrown in the trash. The Timefall Porter doesn't crackle as much because beer cans are made from thicker metal sheets

Yeah the surround sound positional audio stuff is just unreal. When you're standing around near a structure that has been upgraded and has music playing, the echo is incredibly realistic. It really sounds like the music is echoing in an empty field or a canyon or whathaveyou.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

Very very tiny attention to detail in Death Stranding: You can put little accessories on your backpack which give you small bonuses to things like your ability to sense enemies and the amount of materials you receive from pickups. One of these charms is a small silver bell. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it actually jingles as you walk around and it jingles louder if you shake it a lot! It's just that it's so tiny that I figured they wouldn't bother but nope, the Kojima Attention To Detail levels are still as high as they've ever been.

I platinumed the game last night and I only learned a couple hours before doing so that accessories give you little bonuses. Absolutely no idea how I missed that. J was just equipping the one I liked best!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something amusing I found out about Jinx while discussing it with a friend. It's technically a Traveller's Tales game. A few employees branched off from that company ~20 years ago, made 4 games on the PS1 then after Jinx flopped in 2003 they simply came back to Travellers Tales and hoped no one would remember their failure. Their other games included a Blade videogame and the PS1 port of Quake 2

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The other thread reminded me that Darkest Dungeon's Crimson Court DLC, which I could take or leave otherwise, has a fan-loving-tastic thematic core. It's doing the whole "reclusive cadre of vampire nobles" schtick except they all hang out in an abandoned manor out in the swamp and instead of vampires they're actually a different type of bloodsucker - mosquitos.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

The other thread reminded me that Darkest Dungeon's Crimson Court DLC, which I could take or leave otherwise, has a fan-loving-tastic thematic core. It's doing the whole "reclusive cadre of vampire nobles" schtick except they all hang out in an abandoned manor out in the swamp and instead of vampires they're actually a different type of bloodsucker - mosquitos.

yeah the first time i saw that was a real fun reveal, vampires are fun but not exactly horrifying these days so making them giant freaky-looking bug abominations does a lot to help with that

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I really like the way Daemon X Machina handles its characters. Except for a few particularly plot-important characters, most are kind of two-dimensional and cartoony, of the “one personality trait that makes its way into every conversation” type. But there are dozens of characters and the premise of the game (the mech pilots are freelance mercenaries working for three consortiums that are technically on the same side but jockeying for power amongst themselves so they still come into conflict a lot) and the fact that most missions are you and two other mech pilots against three opposing mechs means that you’ll be both allies and enemies with most characters during various missions. Sometimes it will even be back to back and someone trying to kill you in the last mission will be on your side in the next. It’s a fun way to handle a big cast of characters like this.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Phy posted:

gently caress, I just realized I'll never get to hear Bill Paxton read Sonic fanfiction

Give it five years, and you'll be able to get an AI trained on his voice to read anything you like.

CJacobs posted:

This is the guy who included dynamic ice-cube melting based on proximity to other ice cubes and heat from bullets that pass near them on the PS2. He probably wanted to include eight different bell trinkets with different tones.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Elfface posted:

Give it five years, and you'll be able to get an AI trained on his voice to read anything you like.

You are overly pessimistic. Just about the only thing I think we're missing now is telling the system how to emote, and I can't imagine it'd be that hard to add emotion cues by hand, kind of like making a MIDI song with pitch bending and other intonation.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Elfface posted:

Adobe, I think two years ago, demonstrated a prototype of technology that would dynamically modify speech audio at will, and the way they showed it off was to have, if I remember correctly, Keegan-Michael Key tell a funny story about Jordan Peele and then have the technology retell the story but with a dynamically generated punchline.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
gross gross gross gross

hey, anyway, thanks for mentioning about The Forgotten Sands, bioenchanted. I'm playing through it now... I've missed the Prince!

E: in the mobile idle game, Adventure Communist, numbers past a trillion are denoted not by prefix or scientific notation but by letters. Million is M, billion is B, trillion is T, quadrillion is AA, quintillion is BB, so on. Once you have you get to ZZ, it rolls over: AAA, BBB... Thankfully, the order of magnitude between JJJ and LLL is KFC.

Phy has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Dec 1, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like that the Point Launch move in Spider-Man isn't a big jump but a handspring. Fits with his super strength and explosive agility that he can launch himself the length of a city block using just his arms.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like that the protagonist in Jedi Fallen Order is a giant loving loser who looks like an enormous tool in every outfit he has, mainly because I relate to that deeply.

Also in one of the tutorials he keeps getting beaned in the face with a dodgeball if you mess up the timing and that's hilarious

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Lobok posted:

I like that the Point Launch move in Spider-Man isn't a big jump but a handspring. Fits with his super strength and explosive agility that he can launch himself the length of a city block using just his arms.

I like that one method he can use to stop a runaway car is to just catch it with his hands and set it down. It’s great when creators remember that super strength is part of his power set, since he holds himself back and it usually gets either forgotten or severely downplayed.

Speaking of Spider-Man, I just finished the first DLC, and one moment I loved was Peter revealing to MJ that he might have a son with Black Cat. She initially reacts poorly but pretty soon calls him back and basically says they’re adults and things happen, and there isn’t a big dramatic half-breakup and she still gives her all to help. It’s so rare for characters in games, or hell any medium, to act like mature, real-rear end adults.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's also rare for a Spider-Man story to even broach the subject of children, especially out of wedlock, and especially if it's Peter.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/John_Sand_wich/status/1201154001728720896?s=09

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Lobok posted:

It's also rare for a Spider-Man story to even broach the subject of children, especially out of wedlock, and especially if it's Peter.

Audiences are more receptive to when fictional characters, even superheroes, experience setbacks that are rooted in reality and not loving magic. The worst Spiderman story ever written has Peter Parker annul his marriage with MJ by making a deal with the devil for reasons too stupid to mention. The best Spiderman story as below has Peter Parker divorce MJ because his fear of commitment, his poor investments, his aunt's passing and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBIGM4mk-xk&t=30s

Even in stories involving wizards there should never be a magic solution. You can't solve issues like racism or hatred in one fell swoop with a magic wand.

Eat poo poo Joe Quesada.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Figuring out how to cross the tar sea in Death Stranding made me feel very smart.

You have to trigger the BTs on purpose and use the buildings they raise from the muck as platforms.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Figuring out how to cross the tar sea in Death Stranding made me feel very smart.

You have to trigger the BTs on purpose and use the buildings they raise from the muck as platforms.

me: huh, i wonder if this'll work

me being chased by three devil-whales: IT WORKED TOO WELL! IT WORKED TOO WELL!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
One of the single weirdest little things in games, from Shovel Knight, courtesy of Did You Know Gaming's video on it:

The game's default visuals got a slight upgrade in Japan, because they decided that rather than emulate look of an NES game there, they would instead emulate the (slightly better) Famicom Disk System.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Dec 2, 2019

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You are overly pessimistic. Just about the only thing I think we're missing now is telling the system how to emote, and I can't imagine it'd be that hard to add emotion cues by hand, kind of like making a MIDI song with pitch bending and other intonation.

Boy, that's not terrifying at all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A pretty neat aspect of Jinx, the PS1 platformer I'm playing through, is that it has some interesting level ideas. There was a pretty fun level where the entire thing was a race to get to a door right at the end of the (linear but extremely winding and long) path of obstacles and enemies before it closed. It was an easy level, but cute and I liked how it kept pushing you forward. I also like that the bonus levels, of which I have unlocked one, are remade versions of regular levels but on a timer with no enemies or puzzles, just slightly harder versions of the existing platforming challenges. I also like how the sidequest characters are written, they are cute.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

With my bass turned up on the sound bar, in RE2 I can hear MR X tromping around somewhere but I don’t know exactly where

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

PubicMice posted:

Boy, that's not terrifying at all.

Nah it's fine, just try not to think of combining this with deepfakes to really gently caress with digital truth.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and one goon accidentally stepped into fire and burned to death. You can also get them to die by friendly fire by baiting them into running into the spot where their buddy just threw a grenade.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Death Stranding little thing I'm noticing as I get further in: The game's really good about letting you know when a point of no return is coming- or rather, a point where important things are gonna happen which will make it hard to get back to where you currently are. Even having a character say "Sam, this delivery will be tough and take you far away from X location, make sure you're ready before you take it on" is enough and so far I haven't been blindsided by a single one of such long trips. The writers were definitely co-operating with the people designing the game world/delivery pacing.

edit: For example, there's a part of the game midway through where you have to (minor world spoiler) traverse a gigantic tar belt. No solid ground, no waystations, just you and the tar. The game gives you TWO chances to back out of this before you have to commit to it by having characters let you know just how long of a trip it actually will be. In the process the game makes sure you're not underestimating what you're about to do in a very natural feeling manner. It's diagetic in a way a lot of point-of-no-return moments in games are and I just think it's really cool.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Dec 2, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Picked up XCOM 2 War of the Chosen despite bouncing off of the base game 3 or 4 times since it released and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much better it works for me. I'm especially happy at how much characterization it puts into new allies and enemies. One of the new potentially allied factions are the Skirmishers, former Advent soldiers that have broken the brainwashing, removed their control chip, and now fight against the alien menace. What I love about them is that despite breaking Advent's influence, they still speak in a very subordinate, robot-like tone but with an undertone of enthusiasm that reminds me a lot of Doug from Up. I also like the little moments of self awareness, like when you (temporarily) defeat a Chosen who's been taunting you on and off the battlefield and at the debriefing a rebel leader chimes in like "Did the Advent send the Assassin to talk at us until we gave up?"

Some of the things I like are unintentional, like combat chatter from the same character interrupting itself to make new, better taunts. My Reaper killed a bad guy and ran out of ammo on the same move and defiantly proclaimed: Tell your god I NEED MORE AMMO

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Second Sight also has one of my favourite twists and time-fuckery.

The game starts with you waking up in a weird psychic lab, discovering that whatever weird experiments they've done have granted you psychic powers. You have flashbacks to when you were part of a spec-ops team investigating that lab. The implication being that it went tits up and you got captured and experimented on.

After the first flashback though, things get weird. You get the ability to project your consciousness back in time - you get your psychic powers in the past, and can change things to try and steer events towards a more favourable future.

When you confront the final villain you get all sorts of visions of different timelines, and come to a shocking realisation - you can't actually time travel. But you had one psychic power right from the very beginning: pre-cognition. So the entire "future" section of the game was just a vision of what would happen if you hosed up, and using the stuff you learned in them, you stop yourself ever being captured

I love time-fuckery.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That sounds like the final twists of one of my favorite games that I can't really name here due to the nature of the twist.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Second Sight also has one of my favourite twists and time-fuckery.

The game starts with you waking up in a weird psychic lab, discovering that whatever weird experiments they've done have granted you psychic powers. You have flashbacks to when you were part of a spec-ops team investigating that lab. The implication being that it went tits up and you got captured and experimented on.

After the first flashback though, things get weird. You get the ability to project your consciousness back in time - you get your psychic powers in the past, and can change things to try and steer events towards a more favourable future.

When you confront the final villain you get all sorts of visions of different timelines, and come to a shocking realisation - you can't actually time travel. But you had one psychic power right from the very beginning: pre-cognition. So the entire "future" section of the game was just a vision of what would happen if you hosed up, and using the stuff you learned in them, you stop yourself ever being captured

I love time-fuckery.

Ooh, I love poo poo like that. Never played the game, but I would've eaten that up if I did.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Godot's music in AA3 is particularly excellent.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

food court bailiff posted:

That sounds like the final twists of one of my favorite games that I can't really name here due to the nature of the twist.

Put it in spoiler tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The recent terminator game has some fun time travel shenanigans as you would expect.