Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maybe if you stab him it will make more holes for the pee to come out lol then he can be done pissing finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Playing assassins creed odyssey and saw this dude pissing against a tree I stopped for like 2 minutes and this dude pissed the entire time. Like how much piss can this dude piss? This dude is loving full of piss

Just another game stealing from Metal Gear Solid 2. Shameful.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Piss on the same tree with him.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The best part about Fallen London and the Sunless S__ series is how banal all the weird poo poo is in universe eventually becomes routine for the player too. I had a friend ask me if he should dock at Polythreme and I said "it's worth a shot, I got my screaming jacket from there in the browser game." Naturally I had to explain yes I meant it's literally a living sentient jacket that's constantly screaming, and when he asked why I told him to dock and find out.

He sailed past Polythreme

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in case anyone else is wondering why, it's because everything in polythreme is alive, in a "pee-wee's playhouse from hell" kind of way

quote:

In Polythreme the bed I slept on was a slave. The room where I slept was hacked from screaming stone. The water I drank begged me to stop. They paid me in coin that plotted my downfall. The memories are troubling.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Step in front of the piss

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I keep noticing things in Gears of War 2 that make it seem like a very specific type of satire that pretends to be an "Oor rah! Military Badasses" thing, but if you look closer it is criticising the behaviour of the military constantly.

The main characters that I have met right now, all seem to present different styles of play. The main two that a coop set of players would play as, Marcus and Dom, are the basic bitch players. They follow their objectives, do what they are told, no flair or drama, just the perfect little Cogs( :v: )in the machine

Then Cole Train, who is the most entertaining character, is a speedrunner/powergamer. Someone who is good at the game to the extent that they can make insane difficulty look easy by using advanced techniques that new players may be too timid to try, like running straight into enemies and chainsawing them and using grenade tagging.

Finally, the most interesting and deliberately ignored and treated like trash by the other characters, Carmine. He is literally faceless, but paradoxically is the most empathetic character, the most human. He is bad at combat, but has many questions about the setting, asking about flora and enemy behaviours that no other character has a good answer for. He is the other extreme from Cole, the explorer. He's the type of player who prefers to play carefully, sticking to cover like glue and shooting when he can, but also will explore the game world and seek out collectibles. Baird may also fall into this character type because of a collectible written by him where he's found his own collectible that you don't read yourself, a scroll made of human skin underground, but from his reaction it's clear he's in denial. He learns that the Locust can talk to worms, but doesn't realise that that is significant, more making fun of them for it then "OH WAIT THEY LEVEL A CITY WITH A GIANT WORM 30 MINUTES LATER!" He finds collectibles for achievements probably but doesn't care to read them properly so misses things.

The fact that this character is ignored so heavily says a lot about the tone, because if you play like Cole, Marcus or Dom, you don't get the full story. It's only when playing like Carmine, carefully and exploring, and paying attention to cutscenes rather than waiting for them to be over, that you see the true nature of the world. Everything about the Gears that you read in collectibles is just super critical. Characters are being conscripted with a poor understanding of their mission that appears to be a deliberate ruse by the Cog organisation, the Cog tactics seem bizarre and ineffective and the Locusts generally seem a lot smarter in how they fight, and they have learned to fight with the earth instead of just blowing it to pieces for ever, via tunnels sure but also they're weapons are largely other creatures that they work with like the Burdaks and the Giant Rockworm. They are still genocidal shitheads don't get me wrong, but the war probably wouldn't have started without the inter-human wars waking them up in the first place.

Gears is a parody of the Iraq war. A seemingly neverending mess that started because of human greed and stupidity.

I hope you all enjoyed my rambling mess as I read way too much into Gears of War.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Jan 3, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A GIANT WORM

THEY'RE SINKING CITIES WITH A GIANT WORM

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I loved that part of Gears 2 just because going through the worm was like an M-rated Jabu Jabu. The blood flood was just so viscerally disgusting.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Carmine brothers are the only sympathetic characters in Gears.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They play like I do. I also love that Gears 2's carmine gets the last laugh. Dom's all like "It's so dusty in this tunnel, it's hard to breathe..." and Carmine's like "This helmet we were issued has a filter... you do know that, right?"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nuebot posted:

I regret more than ever that I missed the halloween event.

Your cat is as ugly as mine though, what up ugly cat haver.

I will never get rid of my Smeeta.
Both useful and ugly as sin.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Crowetron posted:

The Carmine brothers are the only sympathetic characters in Gears.

Whaaaa? Surely there's a bit of sympathy for Dominic Santiago.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bioenchanted may not have gotten to that bit of 2 yet, and Dom's glorious apotheosis is in 3.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

haveblue posted:

Bioenchanted may not have gotten to that bit of 2 yet, and Dom's glorious apotheosis is in 3.

I've literally just this minute got to inside the worm.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dom is the best character from the get go and I've never played Gears 3.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just want to clarify. I in no way think the satirical aspects were intentional. The oorah military mindset just always ends up making fun of itself. I'm sure Cliffy B genuinely thought that Cole was actually cool unironically rather than a testosterone poisoned clown.

I did like the deconstruction of the indestructible hero character though. Lived through so much torture that he didn't want to live anymore.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Jan 3, 2020

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

BioEnchanted posted:

a testosterone poisoned clown.

I want to play the game that's the literal interpretation of this.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dash Rendar posted:

Dom is the best character from the get go and I've never played Gears 3.

Dom is responsible for the funniest scene in the whole series during Gears 3, so you're right. Dom is good.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Flint_Paper posted:

I mean, the final boss of Arkham Asylum?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Twisted Metal?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This dude is still loving pissing

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

More like oldprostateless

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Or more like old pee, endless

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flint_Paper posted:

I mean, as a trans woman that describes what I felt like living as a man. :v:

faptown
Dec 6, 2008
PYF little things in games: This dude is still loving pissing

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

faptown posted:

PYF little things in games: This dude is still loving pissing

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Flint_Paper posted:

All That Juice: The Game

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A more subtle thing in Gears 2 that I liked is that when Tau ties, Marcus grabs his dog tag and it makes the same chime as collecting the dog tags in the original game. :3:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I like that in Dragon Quest Builders 2 if you start gathering resources outside of your base your combat companion will help out and start whacking away at similar resources nodes. Makes him seem actually helpful instead of just a murder bot.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started playing Gears of War 3, just got to chapter 2. I like Cole's psychotic break at the stadium where he relives an old thrashball game mid-battle.

The games actually remind me of the FF13 trilogy because every time the Cogs win, the world breaks in some way. In the first game they laser the entire planet, driving the Locusts further underground but also reducing the safe places to just Jacinto alone as a side-effect.

Then they sink Jacinto without having all the info, and whoops, now you and the locusts are both hosed, living hand to mouth and trying to survive this new war not only with each other but the Lambent who are ruining everything.

That actually makes a thematic thing happen to. The humans were fighting each other, which woke up anbd triggered the war with the Locusts. Then the humans and locusts fought, and triggered a THIRD war with the Lambent.

Eventually it'd be the humans, locusts, and Lambent fighting something else, while also killing each other still, and it'll just keep escalating til the surface has become too crowded for all these armies. I haven't seen the locust queen in 3 yet but it would be hilarious if she's just another Stranded now like everyone else.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Jan 5, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The level in Shadow of the Tomb Raider where you play through one of Lara's childhood memories is really fun.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
In the Tomb Raider demo you could trap your butler in the freezer.

I can still hear him shivering at the demo kiosk in my nightmares.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just Offscreen posted:

In the Tomb Raider demo you could trap your butler in the freezer.

I can still hear him shivering at the demo kiosk in my nightmares.

One of the DLCs for Rise of the Tomb Raider has you revisit Croft Manor and there's a journal entry you can find on Lara's bad butler-trapping behavior.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That DLC is playable in VR on PS4, it’s pretty cool for a walking simulator.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just hit the first real intermission of Hynospace Outlaw, got the new program and... yeah, this just went from one of my favorite games to my favorite game. Cannot wait to become actual spoiler do not read if you haven't played internet mod turned archivist now that all that poo poo happened

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m playing through the Link’s Awakening remake. There was a mandatory puzzle in the second dungeon that was kind of bullshit. You had to kill three enemies in a certain order to get a key, and your clue was a hint statue that said “First, Stalfos. Last, Pols Voice.” Zelda fans might know that the former is a skeleton and the latter was a rabbity thing, but there was nothing in the game or the instruction manual to hint at this. You would need the manual for the original NES Zelda to learn what a Pols Voice was. In the remake, they change the hint to clarify the “undead Stalfos” and “imprisoned Pols Voice.”

The game has the Color Dungeon that they added in the Game Boy Color version, and they changed it to be more friendly to colorblind people. Originally, the skeletons barring the entrance asked you what color their tunics are before they let you pass, and they no longer do that. There are some color switch puzzles that now have shapes that change with the color, and the hint statues tell you to make everything a square rather than making them blue.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jan 6, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dr Christmas posted:

“First, Stalfos. Last, Pols Voice.”

I was completely confused because the original release was my first Zelda game, and I eventually solved it just by elimination. That change was for the better (even if I also think the GBC remake went too far in adding in obvious hints for most of the trickier puzzles).

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare: The sequence where you are the President of a fictional country about to be executed both establishes setting and one of the antagonist groups, and also is an interesting contrast to the ride at the start of Half-Life; as you are paraded against your will through a messed up situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

exquisite tea posted:

One of the DLCs for Rise of the Tomb Raider has you revisit Croft Manor and there's a journal entry you can find on Lara's bad butler-trapping behavior.

It absolutely blew me away when I found out I wasn’t be only person who did that. Though to be fair I was also like 7 when I played the game and that butler scared the poo poo out of me.

It was a nice touch that he gets a helmet once you do get your hands on your pistols.