Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Kimmalah posted:

Say what you will about Fallout 3 (and I really don't want to get into that debate again), but holy poo poo do I miss the dart gun whenever a deathclaw charges at me in New Vegas. Although there is something kind of funny about desperately plinking at their legs before I get clawed to death.

It's even better when using the stealth suit. Wander into a pack of deathclaws, dart gun away, watch them futilely hobble around trying to find you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

graybook posted:

It's even better when using the stealth suit. Wander into a pack of deathclaws, dart gun away, watch them futilely hobble around trying to find you.

Which stealth suit? I know there's one in New Vegas, but there's definitely no dart gun in that game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Probably the one you get from Operation Anchorage. The Chinese one that makes you look like a Cobra henchman.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Oh yeah, I think I picked that up and never looked at it again. :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Europa Universalis IV: I got an event relating to people being annoyed by military recruiters. One option offered is to ease up on recruiting for a while (regiments take longer to build,) while the other is labeled "I believe I asked for soldiers, not whiners." Made me chuckle.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My favorite thing in NV is to take the Big Boomer or another shotgun with a lot of pellets and combine it with the perk And Stay Back to rag-doll Deathclaws helplessly across the map like flopping hockey pucks.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Since people are complaining about tutorials in the mirror thread, it made me think of a tutorial I like - Peace Walker. The CQC tutorial is presented like a boot camp for new recruits, and you can skip it if you want (since you're such a badass super soldier). It was just a really clever way of integrating a tutorial into the game's world.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Since people are complaining about tutorials in the mirror thread, it made me think of a tutorial I like - Peace Walker. The CQC tutorial is presented like a boot camp for new recruits, and you can skip it if you want (since you're such a badass super soldier). It was just a really clever way of integrating a tutorial into the game's world.

Final Fantasy VII does it in a pretty similar manner, since the protagonist is a trained soldier most (largely optional) tutorials consist of him explaining the basics for other people.

For example you learn how certain spells and Limit Breaks work by watching two kids playfighting and pretending to use magic while you advice one of them on how to counter the other kid's "spells". Eventually the kid is about to lose but he unleashes his "Limit Break" and pummels the other kid into the ground. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lotish posted:

My favorite thing in NV is to take the Big Boomer or another shotgun with a lot of pellets and combine it with the perk And Stay Back to rag-doll Deathclaws helplessly across the map like flopping hockey pucks.

That combined with the riot shotgun saved my life a few times recently while in deathclaw country.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Baroque does its tutorials well - the game throws you right into a short version of the main dungeon that is absurdly simple if you know what you're doing but will kill you if you're careless or make a mistake. Win or lose, though, you realize it was an indoctrinating simulation and it spits you out to attempt the much bigger main dungeon. At that point if you're still lost (which is pretty likely) there is a training dungeon that unlocks, with three different iterations to explain different aspects of the game.

Another thing that I like about it is that you can start a new game while keeping your save file's item/cutscene database intact, so you can see different outcomes. Hell, just having a cutscene database is something I wish more games did.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Which stealth suit? I know there's one in New Vegas, but there's definitely no dart gun in that game.

The stealth suit in New Vegas is one of my favourite things. She's so sassy. "Sneaky sneaky"

Refrigerapist
Dec 11, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

Say what you will about Fallout 3 (and I really don't want to get into that debate again), but holy poo poo do I miss the dart gun whenever a deathclaw charges at me in New Vegas. Although there is something kind of funny about desperately plinking at their legs before I get clawed to death.

Its either that or you panic fire a missile launcher at them from 5 feet away and blow off both of your own arms while simultaneously not killing the death claw . There's no middle ground with death claws.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Christina's COS Silencer Rifle with .308 AP rounds will one- or two-shot them even in Lonesome Road. :frogc00l:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I'm playing Yakuza 4 between segments of Majora, and dear sweet Jesus there is so much to do. I especially love the pretty princess dress up in the hostess club run by Akiyama.

There are so many awesome things to do in that game, including Being Kazuma Kiryu, Badass Incarnate, or Saejima the Greatest Bum Ever. I am so bummed that Yakuza 5 is apparently never coming out in the west :(.

Edit: Holy poo poo I'm wrong, how did I miss this: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/06/yakuza-5-announced-at-playstation-experience/

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The bug bosses in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate twitch after you've killed them.

The music in the Monster Hunter series only plays when the monster has spotted you. There's no music during the Khezu fight because its blind. As interesting as that gimmick is, I still hate fighting that thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Dying Light there's a side mission where you have to rescue a woman from some weird creep keeping her locked up in his basement. One of the things you can find in the basement is a bottle of lotion in a basket.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MindlessHavok posted:

Another FC4 thing. I was doing one of those "protect these people from the attacking animals" mini-quests and I accidentally shot the grenade launcher near an ammo crate and everything exploded. It wasn't just in a huge explosion though, it was like fireworks were going off. You could hear individual bullets going off and grenades exploding.

Of course the guys I was protecting were standing next to it and didn't move went it all went off and they all burned to death and I had to start over.

Far Cry 2 had this, and it was so much fun getting a bunch of enemies to try to help out their wounded buddy that you dropped right next to an ammo box. One well-placed sniper bullet, and boom, they all die to the sound of firecrackers.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

StandardVC10 posted:

Christina's COS Silencer Rifle with .308 AP rounds will one- or two-shot them even in Lonesome Road. :frogc00l:

I personally swore by a modded-up Anti-Materiel Rifle packing HE .50 rounds. No silencer, though, because the BOOM was the best part.

One time playing playing New Vegas I was crouched on a hillside firing at Cook Cook, the named cannibal bandit that the NCR troopers send you after, at night. I fired a sniper round at him, and the camera switched to the little slow-mo shots it does sometimes. Camera was located at his side, looking up at the hillside I was at waaaay in the distance. All I could see was a little light from the muzzle flash and no sound, then a tracer round tears through the night and blows his skull to chunks. Best long-distance shot I've ever made.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really like how, in Starbound, your character's eyes are still closed for a second when you wake up from sleeping. :3:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I also like how if you get out of water, you'll drip a little bit until you're dry. :3:

Starbound is a pretty great game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

The CZ257 Avenger (a ridiculously powerful unique minigun) is kind of my go to panic button if sniping or sneak attacks fail. It'll kill pretty much anything in a matter of seconds and was the thing that got me through deathclaw infested hellholes like Dead Wind Cavern or the Courier's Mile.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

Random faction having running battles across the map is a long-standing feature of the series (and not quite as new and original nowadays). But since the maps are particularly large, and the NPCs can now loot corpses, you'll often have a gun running around like an entire squad by himself - firing off two different assault rifles, taking a sniper shot and bringing on some shotgun pain before tossing a grenade. By the time you've tooled around one a certain map for a while, it's full of corpses and guys overloaded with guns.

Anomaly fields aren't just a bunch of sparklies on a random lot now - they're proper geographical landmarks (full of random sparklies and death). Huge sprawling tree nightmares, tears in the earth, fiery circles - this is what anomalies were meant to be.

There are a few nice setpieces scattered throughout, with the bit where you assemble a team of handpicked men who owe you their lives to storm through an underground maze filled with zombies, mutants and Monolith snipers being a highlight.

There are ending sliders for all the characters. Granted, I didn't get to seem them because the game glitched out, but that's still nice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just got it yesterday, and I can't not love the fact that Monster Hunter 4 (and probably some of the earlier ones too) have both an axe that turns into a sword, and a sword that turns into an axe. Not only are they two entirely different weapons, but 'sword-axe' and 'axe-sword' are just basic weapon types, put right next to things like 'sword' and 'hammer'.

Also accompanying them: Bagpipes.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

cowboythreespeech posted:

The stealth suit in New Vegas is one of my favourite things. She's so sassy. "Sneaky sneaky"

"We're okay on Med-X. Until we have to numb the pain. At which point I will inject your body with enough Med-X to put down a bull deathclaw and you will become addicted. Those radroaches are dangerous, I hope you weren't planning to save anything for going up against the Legion."

I may have expanded the quote a bit.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

"We're okay on Med-X. Until we have to numb the pain. At which point I will inject your body with enough Med-X to put down a bull deathclaw and you will become addicted. Those radroaches are dangerous, I hope you weren't planning to save anything for going up against the Legion."

I may have expanded the quote a bit.

I loved that horrendous oversight.

Resident Evil remake: going back into the lab prison cell after freeing your buddy has the room appear from one grainy CCTV camera angle. The character will comment on it wondering if anyone is watching in the description if you examine it.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Away all Goats posted:

I miss the ability to target eyes though, you could target an opponent in the eyes in fallout 2 which had a chance to blind them.

How is this possibly more fun or better than being able to target the crotch? 100% dickshots 100% of the time. :colbert:

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

darkwasthenight posted:

How is this possibly more fun or better than being able to target the crotch? 100% dickshots 100% of the time. :colbert:

The ability to pull out my enemy's' eyes before punching them to death as a melee character?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want an entire game based off Kingdom Hearts 2 gummy ship stages.

poo poo's bitching, great music to.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

The ability to pull out my enemy's' eyes before punching them to death as a melee character?

yeah also if you shoot an opponent's dick off what are you going to punch them in now, huh smart guys

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah also if you shoot an opponent's dick off what are you going to punch them in now, huh smart guys

The... eyes?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

darkwasthenight posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I went for the dickshot 99% of the time. But I can see why they took it out, there's not much tactical advantage in blowing a guy's nuts off. But blinding opponents would have been a great way to facilitate a no-kill playthrough or something

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Away all Goats posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I went for the dickshot 99% of the time. But I can see why they took it out, there's not much tactical advantage in blowing a guy's nuts off. But blinding opponents would have been a great way to facilitate a no-kill playthrough or something

Go shoot a guy in the nuts and tell me how able or willing he is to fight after that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've restarted Assassin's Creed 3 because even though I bought it on its release I never beat it, so I figure best to start from scratch. But one little thing I noticed happens during the prologue chapters. Specifically: Haythem can't move through trees, because he neither grew up with them nor had an opportunity to train with running through them during his youth. Even if you do manage to jump into a tree Hathem will jump down back to the ground.

Its a nice subtle touch that seems obvious when you chase Conner's mom, but it only shows itself if you try to jump into a tree yourself.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Finally got around to Sunless Sea; the writing is, of course, fantastic and the mechanic of your deaths helping you out in the future is pretty dang cool.

I also played Fallen London for a while, and what happens with the sisters on Hunter's Island hit me like a sledgehammer with how jarring it is, so much so I had to step away from the game for a bit.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

I like how in Shadow of Mordor, when you're sneaking Talion pulls his dagger out only when he's close to Orcs to kill.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Any game that animates characters walking up stairs correctly, one foot per step, not using the stairs like a textured ramp.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was hosed over by that in Hitman: Absolution. I will illustrate with rudimentary stick man drawings.

So here I am, coming down a staircase to totally kill a guy. I am in a dingy bar in the backass middle of nowheresville, about to head into the even dingier basement. The stairs leading down to the basement are only partially covered by the wall in some real Harry Potter Under The Stairs type bullshit fashion. Or your grandma's house. Or something. There is a guard at the bottom of the stairs just hanging out aimlessly staring at the stairs because he's a guard in a video game and that's all they ever do until you make a noise.

Look at that Hitman. What a badass he is. I'm coming down the stairs to 100% kill a dude because that's what hitmen do. Ignore the perspective in this picture because I can't draw for poo poo. At this point I don't know the biker is there and 47 is about to walk his rear end into a two-man standoff. I will lose like 1500 You're A HItman Points for killing the guy and I won't be happy about that.

Suddenly, however, the unsightly biker coughs, and I stop 47 in his tracks. Thanks to the wonders of technology in the year 2012, his feet actually stop at different points on the staircase which lands him in kind of a weird pose because they're kinda steep but that's alright whatever. I take a second to marvel at this dynamic character animation before activating his magical sixth sense, which allows me to see the biker from behind the partially covered wall leading up the staircase.

Unfortunately for Agent 47, however, the biker has spotted his own prey as well. Thanks, 2012 technology. With only half of a leg in sight, the You're Being Seen meter fills up in slow motion while I gaze at the biker with my x-ray eyes, unaware of what is happening because of the screen filter, until he suddenly whips out his gun and just fuckin shouts

and then begins firing immediately at 47's exposed ankle. I couldn't even be mad because I was laughing so hard.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:16 on Feb 20, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A limitation of that stair-walking animation thingy is that you can't use any of the stealth kills or the non-lethal takedown while somebody is walking on stairs. You can't have it all I guess.

I loved those pictures BTW. The expression on the second one is awesome.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

citybeatnik posted:

Finally got around to Sunless Sea; the writing is, of course, fantastic and the mechanic of your deaths helping you out in the future is pretty dang cool.

I also played Fallen London for a while, and what happens with the sisters on Hunter's Island hit me like a sledgehammer with how jarring it is, so much so I had to step away from the game for a bit.

Sunless Sea is amazing, even though I don't get quite what I'm doing all the time and its hellishly difficult. Everyone go play it.

Edit: for some reason I thought I was in the Greenlight thread. A little thing about Sunless Sea is the way the skullshaped reefs sloooowly move their jaw when you sail over them. I give them a wide berth now. Just in case

Nuclear War has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Pound_Coin posted:

Any game that animates characters walking up stairs correctly, one foot per step, not using the stairs like a textured ramp.

Again, Metal Gear Solid had something fun with that. In the first chapter, Snake will do a combat roll if you run and hit crouch. Doing it down the stairs propels you down the staircase in a blur and knocks any guards standing there on their asses. Doing it up the stairs causes you to slam facefirst into the stairs and knock yourself senseless.