Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Kitfox88 posted:

To be fair the cops faction in Dark Souls is ok because it’s a purely defensive system and also it’s fictional so it doesn’t need to reflect reality :colbert:

The Blades hunt down and murder people who've broken the status quo (dispelling the illusion in Anor Londo) even if they haven't hurt anyone so they fall into the ACAB category.

The Blue Sentinels from DS2 are okay, I guess, but then in DS3 they're literally the same faction as the Blades so :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Oh wait right I forgot about that part in DS1 :smith: DS2 and 3 anti-invasion crew was fun tho.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Imagine not being a Sunbro.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can people please not be dicks and compare random video game PvP to long-term systemic abuse of real people, thanks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The sentinels were called bluecops as soon as Dark Souls 2 came out, this is nothing new.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

ImpAtom posted:

Can people please not be dicks and compare random video game PvP to long-term systemic abuse of real people, thanks.

Are you the Fun Police? If you are, you have to tell me.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

ImpAtom posted:

I get where you are coming from but I don't think anyone is intentionally being a dick referring to them as such- it's been a shorthand for them for like six years now.

Which is not to say it's appropriate these days- but noone needs to have thier head bitten off for it either.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://i.imgur.com/zkbWTrf.mp4
Been playing through Resident Evil 4 and just remembered one of my favorite easter eggs, Leon pissing off the Del Lago monster enough to trigger an instadeath scene before you even go out on the lake to fight it :rip:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Everyone pokes fun at the idea of an RE4 re-remaster but I haven’t played the game in like 10 years (or whenever it came out) and I’d love to go through it again with a RE2-3 level of polish.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Everyone pokes fun at the idea of an RE4 re-remaster but I haven’t played the game in like 10 years (or whenever it came out) and I’d love to go through it again with a RE2-3 level of polish.

I'm torn. I'm still loving it but I want an updated control scheme (and wouldn't say no to some graphical polish) since it takes me an hour to just get back into the old ones, and it's tough to switch between it and any modern games during my playthrough. On the other hand, it's not like 2 & 3 where I had zero intention of ever going back to the original games, there are other games that would've been more worth spending the effort on. I'm also a bit worried that some of the game's charm will be gone if they change the original script and actors.

I mean I'll absolutely love the end result if it's worthwhile on its own terms, it's more a question of whether or not it'd be my ideal choice.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I keep hovering RE4 on switch when it comes up on sale, I assume they did at least some graphical touch ups on it.

The contrast between how beautiful I remember RE4 and Twilight Princess being vs the borderline unplayable fugly mess running it on my physical GameCube is stark.

Granted some of that may just come from the video conversions getting it to run on a HDMI tv.

yook has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Jun 30, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RE4 is one of my favorites and I replay it ever few years, and honestly it holds up well. The graphics aren't terrific but it's not like trying to play a PS1 game or anything, and the controls are fine.
Also I just want a damned Code Veronica remake. That was one of my favorites back in the day and I've tried to replay it but just can't do the fixed camera and tank control combo anymore.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I can’t be doing with no strafing anymore so re4 is just blugh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

yook posted:

I keep hovering RE4 on switch when it comes up on sale, I assume they did at least some graphical touch ups on it.

The contrast between how beautiful I remember RE4 and Twilight Princess being vs the borderline unplayable fugly mess running it on my physical GameCube is stark.

Granted some of that may just come from the video conversions getting it to run on a HDMI tv.

It's just the HD texture pack that's on other rereleases. So, I don't think it looks bad but it also loses something in the switch from old-school CRTs to a giant modern flatscreen. It's certainly not something I'd use as a big detractor though, it's still worth a purchase.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The Last of Us 2's puzzles are so much better, it's awesome.

Also I feel super hyped about being able to crack safes by ear. It means I haven't totally destroyed my hearing after all from listening to things above the recommended volume with headphones all the time after all. :unsmith:

I just opened a safe and this one's combination hint was a date. I could've swore the correct sound cue was triggering on two numbers and it works if you use Day/Month/Year and Month/Day/Year. Both of them work just fine.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

RareAcumen posted:

I just opened a safe and this one's combination hint was a date. I could've swore the correct sound cue was triggering on two numbers and it works if you use Day/Month/Year and Month/Day/Year. Both of them work just fine.

I was wondering about this, because I'm pretty sure that some of the items which had the dates drawn on them were formatted dd/mm (I'm in Australia). Did they make two sets of the item and the one that loads is based on your region? Did i imagine this whole thing?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

The Last of Us 2's puzzles are so much better, it's awesome.

That's good, because Naughty Dog usually sucks at making good puzzles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The shadow puzzle toward the end of Lost Legacy was good and legitimately challenging, though it was almost ruined by the Nadine going I SEE YOU'RE HAVING TROUBLE THERE, WANT A HINT?!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
Having NPCs talk during puzzles should be illegal.

My dream in life is to one day find the writer at Ubisoft who came up with that loud idiot guard in Sands of Time who has you activate the security system, and make them play it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

God of War does a pretty funny inversion of this in Alfheim where Atreus is like "this puzzle is too hard, let's just google it" and Kratos is like "just shut up and let me THINK boy." And sure enough, you can solve it without having to backtrack.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

SkeletonHero posted:

Having NPCs talk during puzzles should be illegal.

My dream in life is to one day find the writer at Ubisoft who came up with that loud idiot guard in Sands of Time who has you activate the security system, and make them play it.

I wish the default setting was 'everyone shut up unless I hit the 'help' button.
It solidly belongs in the sister-thread/dragging things down, but it's so bizarre how many games have hint systems that kick in in the fraction of the time it takes to solve -anything-.

I'd be more positive to them if they only kicked in after you'd stood still for a while, looking around, maybe in the 'detective vision' mode.
Less so when you're actively pushing things around.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SubNat posted:

I wish the default setting was 'everyone shut up unless I hit the 'help' button.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider actually has this, there's a setting that controls how much Lara talks to herself during puzzles and you can set it to "none".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SubNat posted:

I'd be more positive to them if they only kicked in after you'd stood still for a while, looking around, maybe in the 'detective vision' mode.
Less so when you're actively pushing things around.

TLOU2 does this. You need to really work to provoke a hint, and it only really kicks in when it's obvious to the game you've wandered around the same area for a few minutes without figuring out how to progress at all.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider actually has this, there's a setting that controls how much Lara talks to herself during puzzles and you can set it to "none".

Figuring out that this existed made the game about a thousand times better

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is there a button to do that with the rest of the script

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Figuring out that this existed made the game about a thousand times better

Unfortunately the puzzles were so loving obtuse that I couldn’t solve a single one without help. I don’t know how they hosed up Shadow so badly after rise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So in TLOU2 you upgrade your weapons at workbenches that all look pretty much the same with part of the animation being you turning on a work light. One the enemy groups in the game is a primativist cult that shuns modern technology. So when you come across a workbench there instead of a power switch and work light they have a lantern. Just thought it was kind of goofy how Naughty Dog decided they really needed to keep that part of the workbench but went through the effort of making it fit with the setting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

So in TLOU2 you upgrade your weapons at workbenches that all look pretty much the same with part of the animation being you turning on a work light. One the enemy groups in the game is a primativist cult that shuns modern technology. So when you come across a workbench there instead of a power switch and work light they have a lantern. Just thought it was kind of goofy how Naughty Dog decided they really needed to keep that part of the workbench but went through the effort of making it fit with the setting.

There's one earlier in either a spore-clogged area or one with no power where the lamp is connected to a car battery.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lechtansi posted:

Unfortunately the puzzles were so loving obtuse that I couldn’t solve a single one without help. I don’t know how they hosed up Shadow so badly after rise.

I liked the puzzles in Shadow so much I bought the bonus tomb dlc despite only renting the game. Thought they were a big upgrade on the previous two games.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Jul 1, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
When you beat the Creature in the Well the main menu loses the eternal sandstorm and you get a great view. I like it when games do stuff like that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For those of you who have partners watching you play games, what do they tend to do when you get to a puzzle section? Kindly offer help? Respectfully give you time to work it out? Film a video for social media of you getting more irate over these loving Tower of Hanoi pieces of poo poo why the gently caress can't I get the hang of these after all these years oh yeah I'm sure workers at this power plant totally had to do this puzzle every goddamn day to activate the system you fucks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lobok posted:

For those of you who have partners watching you play games, what do they tend to do when you get to a puzzle section? Kindly offer help? Respectfully give you time to work it out? Film a video for social media of you getting more irate over these loving Tower of Hanoi pieces of poo poo why the gently caress can't I get the hang of these after all these years oh yeah I'm sure workers at this power plant totally had to do this puzzle every goddamn day to activate the system you fucks

I get told to put it down and walk away a bunch

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Outer Wilds, There's writing all over the goddamn place from a super long dead intelligent species, what's awesome is the writing you find of children is larger and erratic. Like they haven't learned yet to write smaller and more intricate.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

Outer Wilds, There's writing all over the goddamn place from a super long dead intelligent species, what's awesome is the writing you find of children is larger and erratic. Like they haven't learned yet to write smaller and more intricate.

So like, wtf am I supposed to DO in this game?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Explore poo poo, connect together poo poo you’ve found, and figure out why time keeps repeating and how to fix it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Be the space detective you've dreamed of being.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

You're a space explorer, explore space.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I dunno about you, but I'd start by wondering what the hell that thing that explodes up in the night sky is all about.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

My favorite little thing in games related to puzzles is when there are no puzzles in the non-puzzle game im playing.

If I'm playing a 2m bearded guy with an axe who brutally kills legions of enemies I don't want to stop every half an hour to do a puzzle that is so easy that it's just annoying to solve instead of fun.

Either make them environmental (physics, magic, whatever) where I can solve them in a few different ways, or make them explorative, in that I need to find out a way up or over that works.

Ancient civilisation mechanics that involve some sort of ring, lever, key or anything is just annoying.

(I realize I might be alone in this but I just hate puzzles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I dont know if it quite counts as a little thing, but in my heavily modded version of Rimworld, I just won an FTL style space battle by flying a YoRHa style android over, having her punch her way through the hull, and then rip in half any crew members not killed by the explosive decompression. All while wearing an armoured red panda kigurumi. I appreciate that I could have this experience in what started as a basic survival simulator :v: