Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Speaking of Dead Space,

In the first game, some time in the last year or two (I first noticed it sometime last year), they silently patched the game so that enemy corpses automatically drop their items without having to stomp/shoot them first. Holy poo poo does this streamline things. I hope they add this to the other two games at some point (you can kind of get the same effect in 3 with Acid Glaze, but there's otherwise better accessories for a lot of guns).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Sel Nar posted:

DS1 always had the 'drop loot on kill' coding;

Really? I could've sworn it didn't 4-5 years ago. Either way, they rarely play dead mid-fight so I'm still all for it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This reminds me of the part where you can, I think, take out the enemies' food and/or weapons stash, and it has the expected effect on them (low health, low ammo) in the next few areas. I believe this place is the fenced off base with the trenches and the helicopter. Can't remember the name.

The best part of this is that it's totally not worth the effort to pull it off at all, as far as beating the game is concerned. None of these areas take more than a few minutes to blow through, but if you feel like loving with guards, then screw it, why not?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Dalax posted:

And then, if the person who agreed to join wins, they get put back to (I think) level 6 and have to fight their way back to the boss, but on a higher difficulty. If you then defeat the boss, you take over the city and get the 'bad' ending.

YOU ARE GREAT!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I just started playing Spec Ops: The Line, and in the part after you fall off a thing near the beginning, my PS3 hosed up and didn't load all the textures right away (they do that), so everything looked weird and blurry until Walker fully came to his senses.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I personally think RE3 had a better head pop sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auopTDzsz28 (video containing like 200 headshots)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
PYF little things in games: my mutilated ex-wife is loving hilarious

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fusion outrighted stated as much that it's partly biological. Hence the armor walking off on its own as the SA-X.

The SA-X was probably the best ever excuse for why a character threw all their guns away and got demoted back to lvl. 1 between games.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Morpheus posted:

Playing an early copy of Citizens of Earth, a top-down, turn-based RPG. I noticed very quickly how similar it looked in gameplay to Earthbound, but when I found a police bulletin that warned of "a spiteful youth with a baseball bat, beating up crows", I knew that the similarities were intentional in some way.

What I love is that they kept one of the best parts of Earthbound in this game: not only will enemies run from you if you're significantly stronger, but getting into fights that are very outmatched in your favour will instantly defeat the enemy and give you exp (and items) without having to actually get into battle. From what I know this is the only game other than Earthbound (or I guess the Mother series) that does this, and it baffles my mind as to why this is the case.

Paper Mario's the only other one I can think of.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

dads_work_files posted:

I've recently been replaying the original Red Faction, and aside from how fast and exciting the gunfights feel, I was really impressed with how well a lot of the level design holds up. The latter third of the game does get a bit samey, but right up till the end the levels are huge, with side rooms and whole sections to explore that have no real bearing on the game, and multiple routes to take. It creates the impression that you're travelling through a much larger world, one that's not just there for your story. Compared to, say, Half Life 2, which I love to bits, where basically every player is going to travel through every room in the game, Red Faction makes you feel like you've got some input into where you end up going.

I think it is a bit of a shame they didn't really know what to do with the geo-mod technology, but that's been said a hundred times before.

I used to go into a deathmatch map and dig into the wall with rockets to see how far I could get. It would take like 5 minutes of shooting and grabbing reloads before it wouldn't let you go any farther. It's basically a Minecraft prototype.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Big Grunty Secret posted:

It's a Japanese thing. I used to have a Japanese-coded PS2 and on the home menu, O was confirm and X was back. I guess in Japan an O mark is used instead of a check mark for "Yes" and X means "No", so it kind of makes sense, no idea why MGS2 had that other than Kojima being Kojima.

I always thought it was a hold-over from the NES / SNES A and B buttons being in relatively same location (with A equaling yes 99% of the time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

death .cab for qt posted:

Your favorite thing about playing a video game is that you can sit on Ikea furniture and get high?

How much did you like Inception on a scale of 1 to 1

read thread title