Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Steven Heck in Alpha Protocol. His emails, his exuberant violence , the cheerful way he threatens to make his partner drink drain cleaner...it's just beautiful.

If he likes you, he will also email you with sections copied from Time Cube.
http://www.timecube.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Arx Monolith posted:

So I just got Viscera Cleanup Detail on Steam for like $7 and sweet god drat is that a fun game.
It's an early release, but I recommend it.

I thought you were talking about the added extra to Shadow Warrior, which I didn't like that much, and only now realize there is a whole separate game!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In either Vice City or San Andreas there is a little blurb in the manual about how a new law banning children and dogs had just taken effect, so don't expect to see either in the city. That always cracked me up.

One of the first radio transmissions in Crackdown mentions that all air travel has been suspended due to the recent surge of gang violence. If I remember correctly, there isn't even an airport.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OptimusShr posted:

Another great bit is when you see the Geth archives or the morning war and you see a Geth pick up a sniper rifle. Shepard remarks that :"That rifle looks like the one you used to use."
he pauses before he says "It was a popular model."

Those little hints that Legion was more human that he seemed really stuck out to me.

That and I think it's a good hint that most, if not all, of the the Geth were much more civilized than the first game gave them credit. They were and invading force of robot men so it was easy for the "higher" species to strip them of their, I guess, humanity.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Boss becomes a god and you play on his plane of paradise. Arch Angel Miller resents his creative power and tries to usurp his throne.
A constant battle of creation and destruction where the winner is decided by who makes the most stripper poles.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Condemned deserves a better sequel. The first game was just so goddamn good but I do t think it got nearly enough attention.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No, stop, I need to save my money and Smash Bros comes out in a few hours.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Havok released a tech demo some 15 years ago where there is a cowboy in a saloon. You'd press a numpad button to apply force in that section of the body (8 was the center of the head, 1 would be his right leg). Every object including the bannister and tables were made of small bricks that would collapse under his weight.

That poo poo was incredible when I was a kid.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cleretic posted:

Bringing this one back up, because the Smash Bros thread has told me something really awesome about it. It turns out that the trophy descriptions in Smash 4 were written by Shigesato Itoi, the man that made the Mother/EarthBound series.

That explains quite a bit. The descriptions are pretty much all great.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Male Man posted:

Drake is supposed to be preternaturally lucky; all those times he appears to get hit are actually close misses. Instead of losing health his luck literally runs out. Why that's represented by rapid-onset glaucoma is anyone's guess.

That's how it works in the Star Wars tabletop and is my favorite version of HP followed closely by Vampire (in White Wolf): A vampire won't die unless exposed to sunlight, too much fire, a big, BIG and repeated shot to the head, filled with so many bullets that they literally are ripped apart or manage to fail a roll in swinging a chainsaw (automatic critical fail at the highest damage tier).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I picked up Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon at release and only play in small spurts because the game is fun as hell and dripping with character.
Luigi reacts to every little detail in a soft and shaky voice that seems to get a little more confident as time goes on but is always a huge baby when a ghost scares him.
Solving a puzzle or beating a boss is always a matter of relief for him, not a matter of victory.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As a society, we've come a long way from fully textured horse anuses.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jellymouth posted:

If you haven't already, its worth it to play the game with the lowest possible intelligence skill. A ton of characters throughout the game will have different lines of dialog where they treat you as if you were some brain-dead mouth-breather. Right off the bat, Doc Mitchell even laments that there are some things his handiwork just can't fix.

It's pretty good but nowhere near the majesty is 1-INT in Fallout 2. President Tandy will flat-out refuse to hand you any work out of fear that you will get confused and eat the walls. The only real way to progress in the game is to stumble around and do whatever you can. It would be great as your first play-through because you wouldn't know that you have to go fix the nuclear reactor or kill all the ghouls among many other things.

Somewhere there is an LP in first-person of a 2-INT dullard that is addicted to Psycho. It's loving great.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mng posted:

http://lparchive.org/Fallout-2/Update%201/ :D

I have to read this again. I never played the earlier Fallout games but this LP had me in stitches.

You are a saint!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm giving Postal 2 another shot since I was a wee babe and... wow, I'm glad the game is satire because it's so loving immature and stupid... and fun.

If someone throws ricochet scissors at you at the same time you throw yours and they collide, they will zip around the room somehow gaining speed until they hit flesh.
I'm not sure if it was a bug but I watched two of them rocket around at hyper-velocity until a random passerby walked in and had their head impaled.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shadow of Mordor does the same thing but this time they aren't exaggerating :metal:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If I'm drunk and people I don't know come to a party, more often than not I will say, "I've got a lot of good things to drink... STRANGAH."

I have no friends.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

At least for the time, RE4 had the best shotgun SFX. The first time I played it was on my brother's PS2 with surround sound and a meaty subwoofer.
That poo poo knocked me over.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm buying the PC version when it goes on sale. I've beaten the game before but what is the most absurd way to cheat through it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Waiting, obviously.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Olaf The Stout posted:

I wish you could wear that jacket the whole game. In a category I'm surprised existed it is my favorite video game jacket ever.

What, do you hate anime boyZ too much to admit that Dante has the best coat?

Actually, I remember a huge collectors edition of RE4 that had the jacket.
I didn't buy it because it was probably faux leather and poorly made.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Barudak posted:

The real reason you didn't buy it is because for the roughly $1,200 USD they were asking for RE6 collectors edition with jacket you weren't buying his RE4 jacket but his RE6 jacket.

Oh.
Well thank god for that!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I never got a chance to play Dragon's Dogma because I only play on PC but I'd kill for a PC sequel.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does Volition still own GeoMod or was it sold to the new owners of Saints Row?

Everyone has had the thought to mix those and/or the destructible materials from RF:G.
Saints Row 4 would have been perfect since it's all a simulation so having buildings and mountains respawn would make sense.

Far Cry 4 is a hoot, no doubt. There is a part of me that wants to start recording every session because this happened today:

Scoping out a camp I need to liberate and I've done so many before that now it's melee kills or nothing for me.
I take out 9/10 guards and all that is left is a sniper on the ground near a pig pen.
Easy kill except when I circle around the hut he starts losing his mind because an eagle (Cliff Racer) comes swooping at him. That is, not at him but at a pig.
The eagle picks up the pig by the rear end, the sniper shoots the eagle in the face and the pig lands and kills the sniper.

The Golden Path ought to erect a statue for that brave winged friend.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Does that kind of thing happen more often in far cry 4? I read so many people mention how good far cry 3 is at making emergent stories, but when I played it I saw almost nothing like that except variants of "an animal attacked the enemies I was fighting," and every story I've read about it basically followed that same premise. Still more interesting than most modern games but the range of possible random things that could happen really didn't seem as broad as people made it sound.

Kinda.
Maybe it's just because I'm really comfortable with this type of stealth game, enemies are usually too dead to do anything funny.
Most good stories come from when I do something inefficient for the sake of comedy

There are 4 or 5 huge fortresses in the game associated with each big villian. They are they end goal for each region BUT you can attack them whenever you want.
Approaching the walls your radio says, "Attacking that fortress while VILLIAN is alive would be suicide!"
Well, YOLO or some poo poo.

The front gates usually have some mines around but if you are slow and deliberate, you can avoid them, plant C4 on the gate, backtrack to a hill, snipe a mine to get every guard to the door to check out the commotion and then detonate the C4.

Fastest fortress clear has been about two minutes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sentient Data posted:

Know what else can steal your soul? Death.

In the only good Conker game (Bad Fur Day, of course), when you die for the first time there's a cutscene where you meet Greg the Grim Reaper. During that cutscene you find out that you're not actually supposed to be dead yet since squirrels are like those bloody cats :rant:, and the game's extra life collectable items only show up after you find that out in character

Specifically, "Cats, ugh bloody cats and their drat nine lives. Squirrels are the worst, though. They has as many lives as they think they can get away with."

Cracks me up every time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Skyrim is amazing for when I just want to barbarian around. Orc characters get access to strongholds without having to prove themselves, which are great for trading, training, companions, storage, etc.

I'm pretty sick of the main questline, the Companions and the guilds, so this is a huge relief. I just want to smash bandits with a warhammer, not shout at skeletons in search of macguffins

It's been a while but I seem to recall playing an Orc Hammer-bro and a stronghold lookout didn't let me in because my armor covered up every inch of skin so they thought I was human.
I may be remembering wrong but I was impressed with that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Witcher 3 is a neat game.

Early on you must seek out a witch to talk about someing. You find her house but she's not there. The interior is nicer than the rest of the village and you get to look at everything.
It's all tidy and colorful except the bathtub is covered in cobwebs.

That's because you find a portal that teleport you yo her private magical bathing chamber full of physics defying water and some lovely woodland creatures.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Barudak posted:

In Breakdown for the original Xbox has a truly convoluted story but it results in some really neat stuff. Quick summery:

I talked about Breakdown in another thread and I forgot about the whole simulation thing. I had remembered it as time travel.

Prototype 2 may be a repetitious and easy game but MAN, you're playing as Carnage from Spider-Man and the level of power is nuts.
There are a lot of sections where shapeshifting stealth is an option. About 75% through the game you get a power called Bio-Bomb. It let's you pick someone up, inject them with a virus that causes them to explode and shoot out tendrils that grab people an objects and then violently pull them all in and explode.

In stealth you can Bio-Bomb people but that version has you walk by, quickly inject it into their skull and they slowly are consumed by the virus while screaming in agony before exploding. The AI is so dumb that you could stand right next to them without suspicion. So much fun to clear out a military lab by making every scientist detonate into an all-consuming gore nightmare while no soldier even begins to think it was you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

John Murdoch posted:

Isn't there also a stealth ability where you can point to some other guy and go "Hey, it's him, the virus dude!" and have his buddies all freak out and hose him down with bullets?

They took out that and the air strike from the sequel but in turn gave you much better melee powers. The claws are how I imagine that Venom/Wolverine hybrid would have acted.

The tendrils power is neat. It's a short range giant fist of bio mass that looks like intestines and hair. When you hit a weak enemy, 2-4 tendrils shoot from your target in random directions, attach to a static object and pull the target apart but the body parts stay somewhat glued together by this stuff. After a quick assault, it looks like the Spider King from Hell shat over everyone and then flew away.
It's awesome.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

McDragon posted:

Isn't there also some bio bomb thing where you do a proper American Football style kick of some poor bastard and they go flying and then do all that explodey stuff?

Also it was fun shapeshifting into a granny and kicking rear end. Can't remember if that only worked in the first or not.

Aw, I really want a Prototype 3 now. To be honest, that happens every time I think of it.

The drop kick is a Radnet bonus (that comes with every version now). You can kick rear end as the person you most recently ate but if you want to use your claws and poo poo, you go back to being Heller.
Granny can still punch a tank apart.

What get me is that you can only shift to the last person you ate but Heller can assume whatever person previously eaten for the sake of a cutscene. I have all their DNA, let me pick one to be my default! Gonna make this tea and then eat my neighborsd

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I feel like I'm missing something. Are these games or a fever dream?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Spoilers for Tales of Xillia 2, but wow.

Holy poo poo fractured dimensions. Wingul becomes king of Auj Oule? Agria didn't die and is best buds with Leia? This rocks.

Milla-not-prime is such a downer though. I hate listening to her whining about spyrix, even though Maxwell himself said it's okay for the Elympions.

gently caress anime.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Xythe posted:

Heroes of the Storm is the friendliest MOBA that exists, hero/champion-wise. I'm used to most MOBA heroes being humorless, cynical assholes waiting for you to give them an order so they can tell you they're not having fun. In HotS I've been playing Elite Tauren Chieftain and he is just thrilled to be there, and is enthusiastic for every order you give him. And my dwarf friend says he was glad to be there to see that kill.

A friend of mine and rabid LoL player has been trying to get me into this. If the characters are actually fun, I'm sold.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Finally cracking into Pillars of Eternity and I love how when you click on something interactable like a town exit, if you're somewhat close and the game knows there will not be any obstacles, it just happens .

The quality of life on POE is phenomenal.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Jun 17, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Freedom Planet, a 16-bit Sonic-like game you can get on Steam is pretty great. The platforming is all about speed and the bosses are fun. It's fully voice acted, multiple playable characters with their own story sequence and the ability to play just the stages without cutscenes.

It's my favorite Sonic game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Far Cry 4 has an option to turn off the loot animations :swoon:

...are you loving kidding me?
I spent so many hours getting 100% on that game and the repetitious animations were my one huge gripe.
gently caress.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's really interesting. I'm in the US and play green occasionally but it's hard to go hunting most days. Last time I did it, I saw a blue group hacking a node by my house, let them finish and went in to repair it. As I'm finishing up, two members of that group have circled back and start screaming at me. Ingress is a very cool idea but attracts some hosed up people.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FredMSloniker posted:

As in the actual real-life people got mad about vidya games and started yelling at you? Eesh.

Yep. I've had people make loud-enough comments while in a public place but this time I was alone, getting dark and these two guys kinda lost it. I did my best power walk out of there.
The game is a ton of fun if your city has a good public transit system. You ride around, hack/repair everything you can in the small window of influence and sometimes meet fellow friendly agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Those are very nice touches but I wish it was more indicative of your playstyle. In Asylum, I did a lovely non-bat job of it and had a hosed up suit. Tried again as a perfect ninja with no deaths, still hosed up suit