Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the credit sequence of Shadow of the Colossus, after the player turned into a Colossus, killed, then reborn as an infant, the player still has control but they can only cry or flail helplessly.

SOTC is a game that is technically perfect. The framerate was a bit iffy on the PS2 and that Tortoise-Colossus can gently caress off, but it was a rare game that succeeded artistically as well as mechanically. It had a deeply tragic and mysterious storyline with many ways to interpret that appealed to the art-loving crowd, while being made of cool boss fights completely unprecedented in scale that appealed to everyone else. It's proof that a AAA game can both be artistic and fun.

gently caress off all videogames are art you're just like those prudes in congress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Celery Face posted:

I really love the music that plays in Bully when you're just walking around campus. Gets stuck in my head all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmqbIUa8RcA

Shawn Lee is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM0IdbZAerw&t=80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNawon9Y0ZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LItSH0Jdcfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzenYRvPcVY

Bully owns for teaching me about Shawn Lee time to go binge on him again thanks to you fuckers

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

The best part of animal crossing was always hitting villagers with the bug catching net until they started yelling at you

And then you'd keep doing it

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

the Steampunk-floating-city planet was pretty awesome though :allears:.

Hey man it was nothing compared to the mountainside laser fortress

Metroid Prime 2 really was the best prime and also the best game ever made.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

The fight with the end in MGS3 is probably the best boss fight in any game ever made because it constantly tests every skill you have learned throughout the game.

It did indeed have shooting, and, stealth.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

flatluigi posted:

My favorite little thing about games is how even with multiple dedicated threads to hating on games, the one dedicated to neat things people like ends up getting derailed by more dumb arguments

hmmm yeah that's an excellent contribution to make about your favourite video game

I'm playing Donkey Kong 64 because I am a cool-retro gamer and a big game mechanic is switching between the 5 Kongs in these barrels throughout each level. Every time you hover over a character they do some little jig or point at themselves because they want you to pick them. If you switch away they kick the dirt or act pissed because you past over them. Except for Chunky Kong. When you hover over Chunky he panics and tries to get you to pick Tiny instead and if you switch away from him he wipes his forehead in relief. He's just a big ol' softie

also dk rap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcP91tQ4ZSM

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Nah it's pretty stupid to make fun of people for adding 50s artwork to a game series whose appeal is largely based on its use of 50s culture and aesthetics.

yeah making fun of spergs isn't what something awful is about

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

swamp waste posted:

Stretch Goals
$1,500,000 - We will hire the guy who made the levels in every 90s PC game look boring to make our levels look boring

ummm it was crowdfunded so it's allowed to look, play, and smell like poo poo. Please read the 2015 Gamer Handbook.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Gamers are terrible about not actually knowing what they want in things. It's like complaining about indie games using pixel graphics and then complaining about hand-drawn graphics looking too "casual" or "Facebook", people want games that don't have padding or fetch quests but they also want 50-60 hours of content: people bitch about both of them even if statistically most of then will never actually finish it all regardless.

Those. loving. Gamers. Like you'll be playing a videogame and then all of a sudden a gamer will be like a boo hoo hoo this isn't what I wanted it's slightly different and you're just like "Wow those gamers are never happy with anything jesus" but gamers never change

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Leal posted:

I see nothing wrong with Twin Peaks: The Game.

Press F to compliment coffee

Press G for a slice of cherry pie

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Like many favorite little things in Animal Crossing, this happened at least as far back as Wild World on the DS--complete with the Harsh Chord of Shock and Dismay. :3:

I love that chord. It's my favourite little thing next to chopping down other people's trees

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

I like that MGS V is only the second game in the metal gear series to have Liquid Snake

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The hell are you talking about? He's not in TPP

He's that blonde kid you rescue from Africa I think they call him Mamba

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

The kid who they pretty explicitly tell you is Liquid, is actually Liquid. That character with the looks and powers of Psycho Mantis, oh man you'll never guess who he is

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

My favorite part of MGSV is when you and Ocelot are fighting the Metal Gears and if you manage to get away you can pull out the binoculars and see Miller and Quiet fighting another set of them. Sometimes you can even see D-Dog bringing soldiers rocket launchers too. :3:

I thought Sahelanthropus was the only metal gear other than that one you build in your base

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

He's in MGS2 as well.

that's ocelot play watch MGS4

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess what; It's kept deliberately vague about Eli for big spoiler reasons.

are you talking about the whole Big Boss isn't ACTUALLY Big Boss thing?

Somebody has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Sep 20, 2015

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Pfft retconning it out isn't the same is it not happening. They even had separate voice actors.

look man I spent 20 hours watching metal gear solid 4 so don't tell me it wasn't canon or that'd literally kill me

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Why should you even need to do that for the true ending? What other Metal Gear game in the history of the series locks plot-relevant information behind grinding?

Uhhh how about goty mgs v you stupid dickhole

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Peace Walker is really good but there's not much point playing it now that V is out.

Things Peace Walker does much better than V which is very disappointing: wacky side missions (ghost hunting, Pooyan, paparazzi etc instead of Rescue Prisoner 1-420) and actually fun Outer Ops. Being able to see abstractions of each individual troop pull off cool poo poo like bringing down a helicopter with a Kampfpistole was a really rewarding sign of your troops' advancement and your increasingly good tech. Now it's just "select an Outer Op, wait three real hours and a popup appears saying you succeeded or failed with no breakdown". Lame, especially when you build a loving Metal Gear and never get to see what it does, how it performs or what it actually looks like in combat. It's just a requirement for the highest-level Outer Ops, and since you only get one of those at a time and you can only deploy the Metal Gear on those specific ops, it's not even really a requirement because there's no way you're not going to meet that requirement. Zeke was great since you could see it, customise it, fight it, and see it blow the poo poo out of hapless enemies in the Outer Ops breakdown. It's a really weird step back in an otherwise awesome game.

What do you mean, mgs v had take out the armored vehicle unit AND take out the tank unit, how much more variation do you need?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Watch_Dogs didn't have enough memes for him I guess.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I understand soul memory was to stop level-1 characters with high-level gear from going after low level players, but...can't they just use the souls used to level up and add it to the souls used to improve the gear you have equipped (with some modifiers for the cost of the materials used as well) as use that value range for multiplayer?

Soul memory is great because if you were good at the game you'd never die so all your souls would go into powering you up while someone bad loses their souls and gets crushed by twinks

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

In the end it's all moot because somehow the netcode is even worse than bloodborne's which was even worse than ds2 which was even worse than

I don't even know how they accomplish that

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

i'm not sure if they did this in the other games but in dark souls 3 bonewheels are back and do the kaneda pose from akira when they stop in place and switch directions.

More important is that the bonewheel shield is also back allowing for the return of Twisted Metal PVP

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Tarantula posted:

Somebody put a message in front of the fire keeper lady in dark souls 3 that said try emoting, so I did the welcome one and i'll be damned she has a bunch of reactions to your emotions/gestures.

Haha dope the same thing was in Bloodborne too where clapping for the doll would cause her to clap back at you

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Other M. Any other 'bad' Nintendo game by my count is either disappointing but still alright on its own terms (Super Paper Mario) or only nominally a Nintendo game (Star Fox Adventures is an entirely unrelated Rare game with a Star Fox coat of paint), but Other M is inexcusible.

It's entirely possible I'm forgetting something, particularly from the NES era, but that's where I'm coming from.

No true scotsman children's videogame developer

Alteisen posted:

I have another one of a human player punching me into orbit and getting me killed via impact damage so while Phalaxes will be the main cause of retarded deaths like this, it seems to be a problem with the game itself.

The best part of destiny is if you slam people into walls with your sparrow or better yet those powerful vehicles on the Mars strike you have a chance to fling them super high into the air and kill them of fall damage or of just crushing them outright. Teamwork B)

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

The shortcuts in Dark Souls 3 can be very cathartic. I was running through the start of the Cathedral of the Deep this morning, ran through the graveyard and opened a ladder, which was nice but nothing special. Then I kept moving, past a large number of ambushes on the roof, and got inside the Cathedral itself with the invincible giant in the first big room, and after a small room with a few new enemies I found an elevator, that led back to the start of the entire path, through the first set of double doors at the small cathedral's bonfire. That's a half hour journey cut out now. BTW, does the Tower Knight with all the miracles at the bottom of the staircases respawn or am I safe from that bastard now I've killed him?

Edit: Also during the run to the aforementioned ladder, the enemies started randomly dying, as great arrows were coming from somewhere again. When I looked in that direction I saw the tower where the Giant Friend lives in the Undead Settlement. Even on the other side of the map he's still looking after me :3: I love that kind of interconnectedness.

He's not invincible :D

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Really? I shot him with large arrows from a relatively close by ledge and it didn't even bring up a health bar that I could see. If I can kill him that cool.

They're actually surprisingly easy to dodge from the ground, just keep stabbing their feet and they'll die eventually.

Thing I like about dark souls 3: You can actually kill the big rear end enemies blocking your way instead of always having to sprint past them

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

What are you the loving gaming police!?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Rama of Ra posted:

My favorite little thing about N64 Rogue Squadron was learning the word 'tertiary'

This but Command and Conquer Renegade instead

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

C&C Renegade was goddamn awesome. Going back and forth between indoor and outdoor enviornments and pilotable vehicles is no big thing now, but at the time it wasn't really something you saw anywhere else.

I bought some dude's copy of Renegade off SA mart years ago but I never played it and just used the box to store weed :rip:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

DD deserves a dozen sequels. As incomplete and partially broken as it may be, it's one of my favorite games.

Dragon's Dogma is the game I thought Monster Hunter would be before I actually played Monster Hunter and discovered that wow Monster Hunter is awful. DD is so goddamn amazing, I've never had a game where nighttime actually felt so dangerous. You can't see poo poo, monsters get way more powerful and confident, and when you have no clue where the next safe spot is, or if there even is a safe spot where you're heading, it's just great. As for the combat, I haven't ever experienced a game with an archer class that was even close to as good or enjoyable, it's crazy how mobile and fun it is.

Eughhh there's too much other crap in life to do and my vidja time is taken up by the billion other games out there but shiiit I want to play this game again and go archer (again).

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Semi-crossposting from the Boss Music thread: I was reminded today of one of the things I adore about FFXIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCcbKY7d0dc

GOOD KING MOGGLE MOG!

The whole boss fight is a group of super adorable Moogles and their giant king. They flutter around, dancing and chatting with each other. The music in the background is a medley/remix of a couple of Moogle themes from throughout the Final Fantasy series, and the lyrics introduce you to the Good King and his trusty troupe of brave and brilliant Moogles.

It is the cutest boss fight I've ever seen in my life.

I unsubscribed from FF14 a while ago (because it's a terrible videogame) but I still looked up some of the new patch music and eyyyy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb0P9jHV8dQ

thank you to the people still giving square money for this game so I can experience the best part of it for free on youtube :v:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, it can still be Bethesda, just as long as they're publishing and doing QA. Obsidian got poo poo on for New Vegas's bugs, despite the bugfixing being Bethesda's responsibility. But because the game had Obsidian's name on it, Bethesda got a free pass despite being the ones responsible.

Obviously the topic switches back to New Vegas, the game goons will never stop talking about for some mysterious reason

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Bethesda makes fun games that millions of people enjoy and the small cadre of Internet people who are so mad about that that half a decade later they will still launch into a bitter rant the moment Bethesda is even mentioned is glorious. :allears:

CJacobs posted:

And as we all know, if lots of people like something it can't be bad. When has that ever happened before!

*sproing*

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Nuebot posted:

You know, it's a complaint for an entirely different topic but it really gets on my nerves when someone leaps right into the hardest difficulty then gets mad at a game for being too hard. One of my friends did that with Nier, a game with okay but repetitive gameplay at best. After I told him how cool the story was he got it, went straight to hard and then spent an hour bitching about how it was a lovely game because everything had too much health and killed him in one hit.

Meh, lovely balance for hard modes is a valid complaint. Especially for a game like Witcher 3 where the difficulty curve makes it so that it's brutally difficult until you get powerful enough that the game is just a joke. Spin to win motherfuckers

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

my emblem was a tortoise with a lightning bolt positioned so it looked like it was firing some sort of beam with its mouth it was pretty good

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Goons hate the highly popular gta franchise and enjoy the more obscure and dead franchise saints row more??? I wonder what they think about Borderlands 2

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Alteisen posted:

GTA has gotten to far up its own rear end.

Look GTA story mode is terrible because all Rockstar games are driving/horsing to a place while an npc talks to you. GTA Online doesn't have that, only the meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpMhPkD0w-g

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

IIRC they sort of waffled on it but the game never got far enough into production for an answer to be nailed down. It could have been FPS and Norman was another character, not the one you played as.

But nope, can't focus on stupid poo poo like that! KONAMI GOTTA MAKE THEMSELVES SOME MORE PACHINKO MACHINES

Stupid Konami working on guaranteed money printing machines instead of niche video games by a developer who is notoriously terrible at following any publisher guidelines, deadlines, and probably ethics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Uhh, I posted about it in the dragging games down thread mr projection, you're the one bringing it up here to score points with your GBS buddies.

And shame yea, I'm totally gonna lose sleep cause something awful forums poster food court bailiff things less of me cause I enjoy a game, like drat you have no idea dude, tears rolling down my cheeks as I type this.

Look I get it, you're insecure and pathetic and in your mind you feel superior to me because "well I don't enjoy games like THAT' *sips tea*, its funny cause those trying to sound the immature alarm and trying to shame someone for a game they enjoy are truly the insecure and pathetic ones, but hey if thinking you're better than me brings you a small moment of joy in your miserable life, by all means mr projection, have at it.

I'll just ignore the fact that this little slapfight came off me a mistake and owning up to it and you flying in to get your pathetic little dig in over completely unrelated poo poo.

:shrug:

I wish people who played video games weren't all like this, it's probably the worst part about video games