Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Playing through Bulletstorm again. I haven't played it since release and I forgot how just plain FUN it is. Like it really is a game designed around providing a fun experience for the player and I wish more companies would follow that philosophy.

Also for the Duke Nukem campaign they literally just dubbed over Grayson's lines with Dukes, so it rarely makes sense and he's usually just confused about what's going on and why people are calling him the wrong name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I miss the old systems you could mess around with. I remember I got through most of Oblivion by making a spell that made me invisible for one second. The cost was lower than my regeneration rate, so while I had to spam the button literally every second, doing so would make me permanently invisible.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I got through 3.5 of the 4 RE6 campaigns and then just quit. As much as I love every other game in the series, I couldn't do it.
Granted I was playing them all on hard mode without a co-op partner so that MAYBE had something to do with it

As for the 2 remake, the sound design really is great. I finally have a proper surround sound setup at home, and hiding out while I listen to Mr.X's footsteps go all over the place above me is tense as hell

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Johnny Aztec posted:

A boy can dream: remake Parasite Eve 2 in this manner.

Dino Crisis first

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RyokoTK posted:

Hitman 2016/2018 are games with an absolute mountain of PYF little things. If you're sneaky enough, you get a challenge for walking up to the target in the classic Hitman Suit and taunting him (since he betrayed your organization) before killing him. You can also just shoot his replacement heart through the glass and be done. Or there's a handful of ways to get into the room, in which case you can just grab it and toss it in the trash. Or you can hack into the AI that controls the hospital and bungle the operation (which also has its own super-deep easter egg!).

After you reach a certain level of mastery you can play through the level as a ninja. The ninja outfit is not accessible anywhere in the level, so you need to unlock this special starting location (which is on the mountain) where you start dressed as a ninja with a katana. The trick is that, as the ninja, you are marked as kill-on-sight to everyone, everywhere, so the Silent Ninja challenge for that mission (only kill the targets, never get compromised, etc) is one of the most skillful or save-scummy challenges in the game.

There's also a DDR setup in some employee break room on that map. Agent 47 is extremely bad at DDR and will lose if you play it... unless you play as the ninja, in which case you do really well.

In Hitman 2 (2018) you can knock out NPCs by tossing a rake on the ground and waiting for them to step on it, like that Simpsons bit.

That’s also the level where you can summon Godzilla

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It’s been a while but I’m pretty sure Chrono Trigger at least makes it somewhat clear

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

OTOH with Chrono Trigger, that's a game that's meant to be replayed to try different things/take out Lavos in different eras, so stuff like the chests not being "fair" works from that perspective, it's something new to check next time

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're half-human and half-machine. Obviously the machines will side with their brother once their masters are dead.

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution, an early mission allows you to kill an entire police department. It's a bad idea and not easy but if you really can't progress it's an option. Every cop in the city will shoot to kill until you get home. At which point the police are fine with you, because otherwise the game wouldn't be able to progress. They're a little snarky when you go back to the police department but that's it.

The just follow Dr Mcninja rules, once you get to home base you’re free. That’s why they’re snarky later

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

One different thing I always notice in Horizon Zero Dawn compared to other games of its type is how Aloy actually reacts like a human being to NPC dialogue. She'll say she's sorry and show compassion when some questgiver talks about how a machine ripped their entire family apart when in most other RPGs your response options are [GO ON] [PAY ME]

I love when games do that. Nothing tops Geralt just getting annoyed at every side quest given to him.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’ve been replaying Arkham Asylum and I really like how they handle the Riddler stuff. You find maps that tell you where to find everything eventually, and each area has a breakdown of what exactly you have and haven’t found, so if you finish the game and are missing one out some two hundred riddles, you don’t need to hunt the entire world, you can look and see exactly what you’re missing and roughly where to find it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I actually didn't mind the Batmobile stuff, though I gave up on getting all the achievements because no way in hell am I winning the races.

That said, after playing through Asylum again the combat is sorely lacking. I keep messing up combos trying to do stuff from muscle memory that isn't in the game yet. City and the latter games add a tonne of quality of life stuff as they go

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I mostly played Rune Factory for the combat, but if it were called Harvest Rune I probably wouldn't have bothered to check it out. Because I'd not expect a game called Harvest Rune to have cool combat.

What about Rune Factory screams combat to you? OSHA would shut that right down

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RyokoTK posted:

Definitely the same for me. The mission stories were such a good way to learn about each level and all the different options and tools at your disposal, and after finishing them I felt very well prepared for going after the challenging stuff like SASO.

The only thing I wish is that Hitman Roulette was an integrated game type rather than off of a fan website. Being given a random mission and random restrictions to gently caress around with on some of the hugely expansive maps like Sapienza and Miami would make it pretty much endlessly replayable.

That’s pretty much what Contract mode is

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Spoilering images is also a pain in the rear end for mobile users, fwiw. If you spoiler a timg it just won’t be visible ever

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Clam Chowdown posted:

My favorite part of MGSV was beating the poo poo out of the four soldiers that are always there to greet you on the helipad when you return to base before doing whatever I went there to do.

Thank you, Boss!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Agents of Mayhem got a little samey, but the powers were fun a pretty logical extension of SR4

Also at this point they should put Nolan North as one of the Boss options and make a Troy Baker option. Switch it up

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nuebot posted:

Five is barely an MGS game, gameplay-wise. Sure you can meticulously plan out a stealthy assault on a base, take down your opponents like a silent, dark predator from the shadows.

Or you can equip your rocket fist and just drive a truck through a crowd of patrolling soldiers, leap out and fire your explosive hand at the first guy to scream, hop on a cargo crate and ride it off into the sky before anyone knows what happened.

Or you can just steal a tank. Almost every issue can be solved with enough tanks.

I had a hell of a time S Ranking that near the last level where you have to work your way through 3 heavily patrolled depots, before I realized the ranks there are based pretty much solely around time and just air dropped a tank in and just drove it straight down the middle, cleared it in no time that way

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Taeke posted:

Are the older ones worth it? I think I've got the first one that starts with you being helicoptered to an underground base in snowy mountains and you do a training mission on a fake boat setting.

Or should I skip ahead to a later one, and if so, which?

2 and Contracts are fun, but very difficult and janky (contracts is basically just a remake of 1 which was pc only)
Blood Money is terrific, Absolution is good but a very different style from the Hitman games and probably would have worked better as a new IP.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We found the old Goosebumps game at the thrift store and tried to play last night, took about 20 min to figure out how to set it up and then the game itself is pretty boring.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I really liked Outer Wilds but man the achievements really killed it for me. Landing on the Sun Station is one of the hardest things I’ve done in a game

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Colorado revisit in that Virus pack was pretty fun, that was a good fix to it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The worst thing about the Riddick universe is that it has to revolve around Vin Diesel. I heard that the last Riddick movie had three scenes where they assert than Vin Diesel's character is straight.

Vin Diesel taught Dame Judy Dench how to play D&D he gets a pass

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

On that note I like how the Far Cry games give you achievements for getting MOST of the collectibles. You rarely have to hunt down every single thing, it'll usually be something like 80% and it's so much more enjoyable since you can do most of them just getting through the games

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there an at all convenient way to use bluetooth headphones on an Xbox? Hellblade's on my list but the only good pair I have are my Bluetooth Bose ones

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

food court bailiff posted:

Resident Evil 7 spoilers about the Baker family:

While I was frustrated you don’t get an opportunity to kill him, the fact that Lucas Baker is free of Eveline’s control and has been killing people just for fun (as he’s apparently done since childhood) is an interesting character touch, especially since he’s successfully managed to hide it from the rest of his family entirely. RIP Ollie.

I also love that there’s a character with a bunch of engineering and robotics trophies in their room, to lampshade all the crazy traps and locks in the house.

Play the No Hero DLC

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MiddleOne posted:

Really wish Ghost Trick would get a rerelease for the Switch and PC or something because it's just the best.

It did come out on iOS I think recently

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phy posted:

Yeah, I shot one and I was like "I cannot tell my wife what I just did."

I remember when my wife walked in while I was hunting an orca in Black Flag, that was an awkward thing to explain

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Necrothatcher posted:

Loads of traditional family names are job titles in the real world though. Potter, Cooper, Hunter, Butcher etc

And, you know, Porter

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

E:nm wrong thread

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Morpheus posted:

Any game like this that has an achievement where you essentially have to ignore half of the game's mechanics sucks. I mean, the achievement sucks, the game can still be fun, but yeah, it leads to a lot of people trying to get it then not realizing the wild poo poo you can do.

And then there's the No Powers Run achievement in 2, even more fun.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I do like how it's entirely possible to get through Dishonored without killing a single person, that was a neat change

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Speaking of bioenchanted, I've been playing some old games from my backlog and found a few things I like in an old physics puzzler called Quantum Conundrum. It has some warts for sure, but John De Lancie does the vocal work and makes for a good mad scientist, and one thing I really liked was how when you die, instead of the usual tool tips, this one gives you Things You Will Never Experience, and most of them are normal things like "getting your licence" or "learning how to shave". It's so weirdly dark and funny.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Werong Bustope posted:

Somewhere out there there's an alternate timeline where everything else is the same but the sole mission of Outer Heaven is just to collect one of every animal on earth so Big Boss can eat it. And I wish that that's the timeline we got to play.

That’s the platform the real Big Boss set up, Outer Markhor

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Zinkraptor posted:

SO:TL is a game so thoroughly tied to its genre that it's tough to bring it to another unless you're talking in a very vague "we take the things you do in sandbox games for granted and they're kind of hosed up" sense - which could work better were it not for the fact that the Far Cry writers think they are way smarter then they are and keep trying to be subversive in their own clumsy way. Spec Ops had a huge advantage in that military shooters were all the exact same because everyone wanted to be CoD, which meant that there were a lot of very similar plot beats between them all and very little consideration to their ramifications.

Now, on a superficial level? Hell yeah. I would love a game that starts as a pretty traditional Far Cry/Rage style open-world thing but then slowly starts falling apart as it goes. Maybe take even it further until it gets to near horror-game levels. That'd be fun!

The Far Cry 5 ending was a pretty clever twist at least

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

More like oldprostateless

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I picked up Fallen Order and I really like having the context button be mapped to the right stick like this. It's nice to be able to open a chest without jumping a few times first or taking cover behind it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phy posted:

Can't remember if it's specifically a sewer level, but Skyrim had the flammable gas pockets.

The Bethesda Fallouts did too

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

orcane posted:

That's the proper way to do these jokes IMO and I wish more games did that.

This is technically for the annoyance thread, but far too many games pull the "haha isn't feature/level X lovely am I right?" card while making you suffer through X. It never get's better, funny or even immune to criticism just because you point it out, if you already figured out it sucks, don't make me play bad sewer levels or missions for assholes without being paid until the game is almost over (GTA5).

See now, if only you'd designed Yooka Laylee instead of the people who did.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What’s that other time manipulation 360 FPS? I remember being mediocre but it was a near launch title

E: found it, Timeshift

Opopanax has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah there’s a reason it’s considered the spiritual successor to Goldeneye