Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Kikas posted:

Yeah the falling animation is nice, but the "fall dead on the ground" is ther same as the one in BF3, which my little brother who watches me play, had to point out for me.

IIRC during development the BF3 team didn't have neat animations for falling and mantling objects until someone pointed out the leftover Mirror's Edge resources they had lying around (both being EA games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

beedeebee posted:

Started playing GTA 5 again. I planned a heist, and needed a getaway car for that. After stealing some cars I found one that could do the job, and called my contact. He told me to go put it in an underground parking lot and call him back. I get there, park the car and get out. I expect my character to make the phone call, but nothing happens. After walking outside, he suddenly starts calling. He waited, because there's no reception in underground parking lots.

On a similar note, waypoint GPS tracking on the minimap will cut out when you drive through tunnels.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

There are a few points in MGS3 where the guards are stationed near food and ammo depots. You can sabotage the supply by setting off some TNT inside.

If you blow up the food stores, all guards will walk slower and loudly complain of hunger. They'll also be weaker, being knocked out in one punch.

If you blow up the ammo stores, all guards will only have 1-2 spare magazines for their AKs. After that, they'll switch to pistols, and eventually their backup knives. (Normally, guards will have lots of spare AK ammo.)

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

I like the way DnD 3.5 does it (or maybe it's just my DM) in that attacks when you have high HP are glancing blows deflected by your armor, but eventually your character gets bruised and tired and slips up, letting heavier blows damaging them more towards mortal danger-levels of HP.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

In MGS3, there's a part where you need to sneak around a maintenance hangar to plant C3 on the Shagohod's (final boss tank) fuel supply. If you kill or knock out all the engineers in the area, the Shagohod will have less health in the battle against it.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Another neat little Far Cry 4 thing, one of the side missions has a character ask you to track down a shipment and gives you a device to locate the objects. The tracker looks like the Far Cry 2 GPS unit and tracks the items like the FC2 GPS unit did, a flashing light when close and a steady light when you're pointing right at it. Then when you finally get the item you find out that its uncut diamonds, which were the collectibles you were tracking down in FC2. The character you got the mission from even implies they're actually the same diamonds.

Still waiting for my next paycheck to buy Far Cry 4, but one of the collectibles in Far Cry 3 is a "conflict diamond" that was stated to have been brought over by a mercenary.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

I know I'm late to the party but I just beat Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and I like how big enemy evil guy Colonel Sloan is wearing the same outfit as Bennett (the evil guy) from Commando. You don't see the character's in-game model anywhere except in his page in the data console.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

FTL is all about getting vital information about the Rebels to the Empire, then fighting the Rebel flagship.

How is an empire so outgunned by the rebels when the empire is made up of about 5 times as many races, I just don't understand.

This is from a few pages back but:

-Humans make up the Rebel forces. Those not aligned with the Federation can be allied with the Rebels, see the distress quest where the Rebels are giving medical supplies to civilians.
-Engi are allied with the Federation but presumably a lot of their resources are being poured into construction of the stealth ship for the Federation.
-Mantis had just ended a war with the Federation so they're presumably on uneasy ground.
-Zoltan are a peaceful race and disagree with the concept of war with the Rebels for the sake of war.
-Rock are neutral, probably waiting to see who would win.
-Slug were kicked out of the Federation for their deceitfulness.

So really you only have 2 races (Engi and Human) ready to fight for the Federation, and one is fragmented after a Rebel insurrection.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Who What Now posted:

It's not that goofy

apparently it helps dampen sounds made while moving... somehow.

The rationale is probably that a form-fitting suit has less cloth that would rustle and snag on stuff as you crawled around, hence being quieter. The sneaking suit also puts pressure on internal organs and has bulletproof material sewn into it, lessening the chance of a serious injury while wearing it.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Who What Now posted:

The tactical fanny pack is honestly the least goofy thing he's ever worn.

Going off of Peace Walker, the tactical fanny pack is a balloon/parachute ready to deploy for Fultoning. Yes, I know way too much about the MGS series.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Bogmonster posted:

I mean, yeah its a bit weird that pretty much every other PAL PS2 game used X as the confirmation button, but you would think he would have maybe tried other buttons before storming back to the shop and complaining.

It's a Japanese thing. I used to have a Japanese-coded PS2 and on the home menu, O was confirm and X was back. I guess in Japan an O mark is used instead of a check mark for "Yes" and X means "No", so it kind of makes sense, no idea why MGS2 had that other than Kojima being Kojima.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Wild T posted:

Again, Metal Gear Solid had something fun with that. In the first chapter, Snake will do a combat roll if you run and hit crouch. Doing it down the stairs propels you down the staircase in a blur and knocks any guards standing there on their asses. Doing it up the stairs causes you to slam facefirst into the stairs and knock yourself senseless.

This only works if you're close to the bottom of the steps. If Snake can do a full revolution, he'll knock himself silly. Raiden however can flip down any length of stairs.

But both will hit their heads trying to maneuver up stairs. Don't do it, kids!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

There was some indie RPG out there where you had the option of picking "gay" as a character trait before the game started, which resulted in nothing changing except the sex of the prince/princess at the end of the game, which a lot of people took to the forums about. Does anybody remember this?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Stephen Ogg adlibbed a lot of Trevor apparently. He was just able to come up with better stuff than what was in the script.

If you've seen some of his TV appearances Trevor is right up his alley in terms of characters he usually plays.

Hell he was on Better Call Saul as a character you could see as a bit more stable Mr. Philips.

You can also see him on Broad City as an appropriately creepy locksmith.

"You don't need any credentials to be a locksmith, you just have to want it."

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Say what you want but back in the day I'd fire up Worms Armageddon just do to that for like half an hour.

If you like that and have an iPhone, I suggest Hook Champ or Super Quick Hook.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

In FTL, the premise is that you're holding vital information to deliver to a Federation fleet fighting a losing war against a Rebel insurrection. You have to make it to the fleet 8 sectors away, all the while fighting the Rebels, pirates, slavers, hostile aliens, and dealing with civilians along the way through random interactions. Usually the game will give you special options in dialog based on what weapons or equipment you happen to have.

On my last run, I came across a pirate harassing a civilian colony. The usual options are to fight the pirate ship or leave the area, but I had a Fire Beam on my ship, which gave me an option to show the pirates how it's done by burning the colonists' crops down. I thought it was pretty funny that was an option, given your mission.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

There were a few places in both the Tanker and Plant where you could hang off a ledge, drop off of it, and catch the ledge below it. Each hang-drop-catch counted for 10 pull ups, if you really wanted to max it out for some reason.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Edit: Would going to Far Cry 3 from 4 be a giant step backwards (like going from rear end creed 2 to 1), or are they pretty much similar? I wouldn't mind giving that one a try after if it's good.

Far Cry 3's game play was really improved in 4, but the same kind of stealth hunting is still very strong in 3. Prepare for a dumber story however.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon is insanely awesome no matter what, play that afterward!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

In Far Cry: Blood Dragon, the menu has a user manual for gameplay tips. Here's the story page:

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

carry on then posted:

You might want to edit out your product key lol

Don't worry, I stole the picture from a game review page.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

I believe Doom 2016 had no fall damage up to a point, after that it instantly killed you ( to prevent sequence breaking level skips)

Doom Eternal did away with it and is much better for it. You're the Doom Guy, why would gravity hurt you?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Is Mysterio in either Spider-Man or the sequel? I won't play it if he's not.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

oldpainless posted:

It looks like the AT-AT has a gigantic lightsaber

That's an AT-ST! AAARRRGGHHH

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

IIRC you can go crazy on Datura in NV's Honest Heats DLC

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Caufman posted:

I've replayed Max Payne 3 a couple of times, and every playthrough I seem to get killed a lot in the stadium. I wonder if that's just me or if something about the stadium level has an uptick in difficulty for other people as well. Overall I remember it being fun, even if it wasn't as iconic as Max Payne 2.

I think it's because the stadium is an early vertical + open level, and Max now takes fall damage from shoot dodges (something that took me a few lives to learn).

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

The Peace Walker Outer Ops are much better than in MGSV (did they even have them?) PW just has more overall charm and heart to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Wasn't there a glitch in RDR1 where Herbert Moon would start his dialog whenever you were nearby, even in the middle of racing a horse?