Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I guess you can't exactly call it a "little" thing but I always loved being able to just drop a nuke on something in Mercs 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This is definitely my favourite one. When I got to that bit I was expecting a really hard fight, and I spent a while pacing around because I was convinced he'd just counter me if I went head-on.

e: ha, now I've watched the video. That's basically what I did, only more batarangs.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, I knw Shadow of Mordor was a while back, but I like how all the wildlife have little notes about them. And how they are all evil and venomous. But the bats I have to mention specificallly. Apparently orcs that get bitten start to hallucinate part-man part-bat creatures that intimidate their enemies with fear. That one made me laugh.

Also popping out of a bush, stabbing the bejesus out of somebody and all his friends making GBS threads themselves and running away. That's fun.

Oh, and Caragors being able to make ridiculous vertical leaps when you ride them.

e: also when you try to stealth kill a guy and he blocks you and you get the confrontational music and his name pops up and oh no, he is a captain :ohdear:

e2: and also being able to drop nests of killer mordor bees on baddies

It's definitely one of those Little Things: The Game type games for me.

McDragon has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Jan 2, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

PeachHat! posted:

I am ten years old.

I think everyone in Albion is. They love their farts.

Although the best expression was "Insult" in the first one. Your guy just says "poo poo" and everyone is shocked. It's very funny if they're one of those crate-carrying people.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Far Cry 4 is pretty great. Full of nice little touches. No idea if they were in 2 or 3 as well, haven't played those.

Anyway, there's an auto drive feature and it is great. As long as you're on a proper road, you just press a button and it automatically drives you to your waypoint. Very useful as I haven't quite got the hang of the vehicle controls yet. Also you can ride elephants, and all the bad guys freak out about it. With good reason, elephants kick rear end in that game. I was trying to take out an outpost and I guess I acdidentally freed an elephant I hadn't noticed and he did the whole thing for me pretty much.

It is missing the Blood Dragon feature of being able to give everything the finger though, as far as I can tell.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

There's some Shouts I really wish you could get before doing most of the campaign though. At least you get the best one early.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

Most of the shouts you learn from the main quest are pretty useless though. The ones in quest locked dungeons are better, but you can find words of power elsewhere for a slightly weaker version if you don't want to bother.

I'm thinking mainly of the messing around ones I think. Clear Skies and Call of Valor and Storm Call aren't very useful but they can be fun. Dragonrend though, that one is something I'd like earlier.

Literally Kermit posted:

Half the fun of mods is seeing how much they gently caress up your game. My favorite is a mod that adds a magic extra-dimensional Dwemer-style fortress you can summon and dispel anywhere, and the ability to teleport inside it at any time (even when it's compressed back into a tiny cube):

Edit: Skyrim has a lot of cool user content, and the world has a lot of empty spaces allowing for add-ons like that in mind, is another thing I appreciate.

I love those sorts of portable base mods for games like this. Morrowind had a pretty amazing TARDIS you could teleport around and stuff, ridiculously detailed inside as well, Oblivion and Fallout 3 both had ones that were less impressive outside but still teleported around and stuff, but I could never find any for New Vegas or Skyrim. Plenty of mods that did the same thing, but a TARDIS just feels more special.

Really, mods in general for Bethesda open-world games. There's a lot of poo poo, but some really great things in there too. And sometimes there's stuff that's just so bad it's funny.

Also it's fun getting really out of place stuff. I had one that stuck a modern house into Oblivion that stuck out like a sore thumb. All Ikea furniture and light switches and stuff. I need to start reading that mods thread again, that was always good for a laugh.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah, you uh missed a pretty big New Vegas one: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50132/

It's a really drat impressive piece of work, I'm no Doctor Who fan but I had a loving blast playing through it and playing with all the cool toys it gives you.

Oh, thanks. Looks pretty cool, will have to check it out next time I'm in a New Vegas mood I think.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I remember in Knights Of The Old Republic one of the Dark Side speech options after listening to one of the old Jedi's rambling stories was somehow like " I hate you and I hate your stories old man". I would pick it even playing as a Light Side character just because it was so funny.

I love that story. Something about he met some chump and sensed he had some great destiny and then it turned out that the chump got sucked into a bad guy's ship engine and blew it up, preventing some disaster in the process.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is KOTOR2 the one with "I did it all for the wookiee." "The wookiee?"

First one apparently. Jolee was a great character.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Most of the time when you kill a boss in Bloodborne, they explode and blood rains down everywhere. That's neat by itself. It gets better. Many of the bosses give PSN trophies when you beat them. Dunno if it's all PS4 games or just this one, but when you get a trophy, it automatically takes a screenshot. So you end up with a lot of pictures of bad guys exploding, and it can be very satisfying to see the ones that gave you the most grief.

But my best auto screenshot is one you get for finding a type of item for the first time. I grabbed my first one running away from a big fast enemy and so the screenshot is my guy just booking it away. It's all motion blurry and stuff too.

Also there's a couple where it's a loading screen (think you can get more like that with a mutual kill) and one for fully upgrading a weapon that is quite likely to be a great big stat screen.

Oh, actually, mutual kills themselves. I think if you and the boss died together in other games in the series, you had to beat them again. It counts as a victory in this one, which is great. I did it my first time against the last boss, and I had to hoof it back to see the ending. It was silly.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Isn't there also some bio bomb thing where you do a proper American Football style kick of some poor bastard and they go flying and then do all that explodey stuff?

Also it was fun shapeshifting into a granny and kicking rear end. Can't remember if that only worked in the first or not.

Aw, I really want a Prototype 3 now. To be honest, that happens every time I think of it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Actually, on the subject of Batman, the Batmobile. It seems to be a rather major thing itself, but it's bristling with little things I love. If you can see or are near a road, you can call it in, and it just appears from round a corner or something Roach style. On the way it will usually smash a load of things and ("non-lethally" :v:) that often includes goons. It does a little electric shot I guess is supposed to knock them out, but in practice it usually just means they get run over and electrocuted.

Also if you're fighting near it there's a special takedown where Batman chucks a guy in the air and the Batmobile shoots him out of the sky. And you can pop in and out really fast, and it can switch between racing around and attack mode instantly, and it also can do that weird ram thing like in Sleeping Dogs, only it actually makes sense because of rocket booster thingies.

And that's with about half an hour of messing around with it. I hope there's other stuff later. There was something pretty great I don't want to spoil though.

Also the flying feels better and it's real tough deciding if I want to drive or fly because both methods are great.

Oh, and the goons chatting is great too. There's this one along the lines of "If you see Batman, yell and charge at him, it never fails" (it always fails).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It should be noted that this rant is about around 25 minutes of game time and dramatically accentuates certain things.

You actually haven't gotten to the real flying upgrades yet!

Anyway, a little thing about Arkham Knight:

There are a ton of mooks who have lines of dialogue specifically designed for you to interrupt just to be an rear end in a top hat. Guys who are like "Batman isn't around. Just watch, I'll prove it. HEY BATS! See? Nothing!" All of them are positioned so you can sneak up on them and be an rear end in a top hat when ambushing them, which is extra fun.

I don't know if blowing 12 upgrade points on the ridiculous ejector seat was sensible, but I feel it was the right choice.

And those sorts of mook boasts are great. I was in the middle of doing something important when one of them said Batman had broken his arm before, but he figured lightning wouldn't strike twice. He was wrong. But then I had forgotten what I was supposed to be doing.

Also the idea that Batman isn't killing people in these games makes me laugh when it comes to gameplay. Nobody could survive some of the things I've been up to, especially the high-speed chases ending in exploding cars. No, Detective Vision, I don't believe that man is unconscious, he was crushed into a wall while being electrocuted after he was smashed out of his car.

Oh, the Batmobile is just amazing fun and I could go on and on about it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That was great and I did it entirely by accident. Well, I tried to punch him but I wasn't expecting it to work.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

GCPD HQ in Batman is actually really impressing me. Place is pretty crammed now. Only 50% apparently though. I love how cobbled together all the admin seems. It's all little cardboard-looking signs with stuff like "Penguin Thugs" and "Arkham Knight Militia". I guess it also answers the question of how do all these goons survive outside unconscious, I guess the patrols keep bringing them in.

Also if you go back later you can see the first thug you beat up and he's in a sling, right? If you go back even later he mouths off again, you can get Batman to make a fist at him, and he throws himself out of harm's way. Couldn't get a response on a third visit though.

OH, and one of the story missions I recently did had an amazing bit I really don't want to spoil. But it was great.

muscles like this? posted:

I had a really cool moment when I walked in and one of the cops standing around was highlighted Riddler informant green. So I interrogate him while the cops nearby start freaking out and pull their guns on Batman. The cop eventually admits it and Batman throws him into a cell. He goes "You can't do this to me, I'm a cop." to which Batman replies "Not anymore."

Oh, that was bugging me. I'll make sure to do that next visit.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

e: Also, goddamn I feel stupid for not trying to take my stuff back from the GCPD evidence room. Halfway through the game without a gadget I could have had from nearly the beginning.

Ha, I did this too. I'd even seen a few of the things to use it on around the city and was impatiently wondering when I'd get it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

In terms of a little thing I wish was in AK, there was a bit where Batman was very obviously going to get cornered in a little room so I put some explosive gel around the door but the game ignored that. At least he had the sense to go and hide, but I wanted to blow up some fools.

Oh, and more praise for the Batmobile, in tunnels you can drive on the loving ceiling. Sometimes you have to.

Oh, and Batmobile spoilers. "Where's the Batmobile?" "It was destroyed." "Oh no!" "Don't worry, Lucius made a spare." Spare Batmobile arrives, kicks rear end Also it looks very shiny and chrome.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

There's at least half a dozen opportunities in Arkham Knight to interrupt someone's monologue by hacking their security system, punching them early or simply running them over. This never fails to get a laugh out of me and I can't bring myself to let the villains rant as a result. :allears:

There were a few times I just sat around waiting for something to happen before suddenly realizing that I had to make something happen. The very first one even, I didn't know I was meant to be cremating the guy until I got impatient and started twiddling the sticks.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Beastie posted:

Arkham Knight:
Batman does not kill people, it's his ethos or creed or whatever. That being said, if you check out the mangled and severely pummeled bodies of the guys on the ground after a fight, you can see that they are breathing very shallowly.

I especially like it when the physics bug out and they get smashed through things and get stuck. I've got a screenshot somewhere with a guy and he's stuck in a van door, with his neck horrifically stretched out. Don't worry, he's just unconscious.

Actually, that's another little thing I like, being able to do screenshots and videos on the PS4. I think the PS3 could do it too, but the developers had to enable it and they didn't very often.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I only did the first mission and then the training on Mother Base and I can already tell I'm going to love MGSV.

I forgot how wonderful the Fulton was. That scream as a dude just flies off into the air makes me laugh every single time.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

MGSV soldiers are all dumb in their own special way. :allears:

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nu0vuaHrgI1sn3f24_480.mp4#_=_

Aww, that's adorable. How early on can you get that puppy? Will have to prioritize that. :3:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try using a Fulton balloon on a Sheep. Then try very very hard not to laugh.

I saw a gif on twitter of a bear being lifted into the air as well. Need to try this out too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ok, thanks. Operation Phantom Pup is a go then.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, so I punched out a bear and launched it into the sky on a balloon. That is a thing that happened.

Also I got the puppy. :kimchi:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

CQC in 3 was hilarious. I always ended up accidentally slitting throats while trying to interrogate people. It was very sensitive.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I managed to steal Take On Me from a base today. Also I kicked a wolf in the face.

Also there's a mission where you have to rescue a guy from your old base. He's gone crazy and he hits you and runs away whenever you try to get close. I found the solution completely by accident, but I should have known. Wear a box and he's like "Big Boss, I knew you were alive!" and then you can extract him. I liked that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

D-Dog grew up. Now he's like Koromaru if he was a spy with an eyepatch and riot gear. Poor Soviets just don't know what the gently caress when Big Boss and D-Dog attack together.

Also before that I did a mission taking out armored vehicles while on horseback with a bazooka and The Final Countdown blaring.

Also there was a mission where I got into a fight with a sniper. I took her out with a pair of artillery strikes.

Oh, and I got a mission I haven't tried yet to capture a "legendary bear".

Basically MSGV is amazing and wonderful once you start getting Mother Base set up. Or "Dog Hotel" as the emblem says.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I found out where the animals you rescue go in MGSV. The zoo. Big Boss has an actual loving zoo in the middle of the ocean, and you can go visit it. And not just animals in cages, it is literally a zoo.

Also I found out that the fast-travel system isn't the helicopter like you might expect, it is the cardboard box. Went on a road trip with D-Dog unlocking a bunch of delivery points once I found that out. Still got quite a few to go.

Also also, some day I am going to have a car dropped on somebody's head. Hopefully not my own.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, it was definitely a "oh drat it" thing once I realised. Works on Mother Base too and they're all unlocked automatically.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, everybody knows you can hide in boxes in MGS. In V, you can also stand up and run about, and throw yourself down to the ground. If you do this on a slope, you can slide all the way to the bottom. Sometimes this is very far, and very fast. And very fun.

And the sniper Buddy who can just solo entire missions on her own if you tell her to. Early ones, but still funny. And take down entire bases without you having to do a thing.

Also the Rocket Punch. Although I don't think the soldiers at Mother Base think so.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I punched myself in the face with the Rocket Punch. Good times.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like it when Quiet's on the move and suddenly just blasts past you at crazyspeed. First couple of times I didn't know what was going on and thought I was being attacked. And then there was the time I accidentally ran her over in a jeep. Oh, and when she's on the move and some poor guy gets in the way and just gets loving flattened.

Also if Quiet's on cover fire with the tranq rifle. You kick a sleeping dude, he wakes up, she blasts him down again. You kick him again, and she shoots him again. Over and over again. And then you tell her to switch to lethal and kick him one last time. Metal Gear makes me into a complete rear end in a top hat.

Also I was really busting heads in a ridiculous gunfight and one of the enemy soldiers shouted "this is bullshit" and that made me laugh. They say some funny things.

And the Rocket Fist. It's not just a stupid gimmick weapon, it's actually really useful. I keep forgetting that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Speaking of DD, after reading a First Aid Manual he can Fulton things now. I tranquilized a bunch of goats and he sent them on their way. :3: And a couple of baddies. I have no idea how he attaches the balloons.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, it's Mission 23 for Dog Balloons. I think. The White Mamba one. Something I find helpful is on the mission list it'll tell you about all the new skills and blueprints you can find in each mission. I don't think it tells you every single interesting skill though. Also after your first clear of a mission it'll just tell you all the bonus objectives. I like that.

Also I love the name generator thing. Had to lock down a couple of people who aren't the best just because of their names. Blazing Roach made me laugh, but my favourite is just Parrot. Oh, and anything with Eel or Slug doing something Eels or Slugs aren't known for, those are all great.

McDragon has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Sep 17, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Len posted:

I just fought the metal gear of PP and of course it has a sword. Why wouldnt it have a sword?

Two swords.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

3 posted:

From "BOX", two phantoms were born...

well this is just excellent

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, there's a mission in MGSV where you have to disable the communication system on one of the outposts. The way they work means you can blow the whole thing up in free-roam and then accept the mission. Halfway through the briefing Ocelot interrupts Miller telling him it's already destroyed. Miller sounds so disappointed that somebody has stolen his thunder. It goes straight to the mission complete screen and he is so annoyed that he doesn't say anything and you don't even get a rank for the mission.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

A woman named Flaming Buffalo is the top of my combat unit.

Used to be the case for me too.

RIP Flaming Buffalo. :( You got that dictator good.

Grey Fox posted:

He also howls if he gets the final takedown in an outpost (I only use him nonlethal; not sure if this makes a difference).

He definitely howls after stabbing a dude or biting him too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ChogsEnhour posted:

Has anyone played "The Magic Circle"? It's an FPS from the POV of a games tester stuck in a half finished game and you have to dick around with the code of the game to, say, turn mushrooms into personal attack dogs.

Only got the demo because James Urbaniak does one of the voices, but it seems like it'd be a game with a lot of great little touches. Didn't see much in the demo, unfortunately and I'm not sure if it's worth 15 quid or not.

I really liked it. The main story is quite short (good though I thought), but I think the emphasis after that is more on exploring and messing about really. There's a ton of collectibles.

Plus you can designate basically anything to be the ultimate weapon. I think the categories are movement type, attack type, and special things, along with all sorts of AI options. I went for a mushroom. Actually, the creature stuff is really great. Like you take away all the attributes of an enemy and it's basically a head that just stares at you but can't do anything. Then you hack into it again and make it useful. It is the main thing of the game really, finding a thing that has an ability you need and then taking it.

Changing attributes changes what they look like as well, so with a movement type like ground it grows legs and can follow you, or it can have float and then it hovers in the air on a cloud but can't move, or it can fly or so on. Adding melee attacks is pretty great too, they might get teeth, some of the robots grow big saw arms, and so on.

I'm not sure how much of the game the demo is, but I'd imagine if you liked the first hour or so you'd probably like the rest? Gameplay doesn't particularly change much throughout, you just get more things to play with.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The auto version, (I think it's the Serval or something? Some sort of cat thing anyway) is just great. Also you can use them to blast open the doors you usually have to lockpick.

And it's always fun when Ocelot tells you not to take on a gunship head-on and it's already falling out of the sky by the time he's finished talking.

Also I don't know if it got mentioned yet, but if you hit a guy in the head with a magazine in Reflex Mode, it makes a silly noise and knocks them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You can cram an entire wrecked house into your pockets in Fallout 4.

Why did they put the Sims into Fallout? It sucked me in enough already. Whoever thought that one up is an evil genius.