Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Qwertycoatl posted:

As it happens I play that way. If it's not immediately obvious how to get past undetected, with Evie I look round and think harder, with Jacob I go "gently caress it" and wade in.

If I'm remembering right, the game even encourages you to play like this, with Jacob getting better combat skills and Evie being better at stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

The only downside is that it'd look incredible in 1080p60 and that's never going to happen as it seems locked to the original Xbox forever.

There's quite a few games on the original Xbox that I would love to get ported elsewhere but it seems like it's never going to happen.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I didn't like HW but I'm also not a big fan of that genre, but I'd say my main issue was playing it on the DS. There's waaayyyy too much going on to be on that little screen

The 3DS port of the game wasn't great. You couldn't even fully beat the game on a normal 3DS, you had to use a New 3DS for it. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Unavowed is basically a Bioware game complete with branching quest endings and choosing a party; except instead of RPG mechanics its a point and click adventure (and a really good one that's not difficult to the point it's practically a VN).
You even get to choose to have a male or female character!

I'm going to second a recommendation for Unavowed here. drat near everything that comes out of Wadjet Eye Games is great, and Unavowed is by far the best overall game they've released.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I thought FF7: Crisis Core was pretty dull, but the UI slowly breaking down as Zack desperately tried to make his final stand in the ending was a pretty great way to represent him being overwhelmed by the Shrina forces.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

verbal enema posted:

I played the poo poo outta DOA Volleyball

The actual volleyball in those games is shockingly okay.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm playing through Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I love the fact that my eagle will swoop down sometimes to take care of snakes for me. gently caress snakes so hard in that game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

el oso posted:

Really the only annoying Batmobile parts are the stealth tank sections (which were real bad), but otherwise driving it around felt awesome and diving into it/jumping out of it looked great

I didn't mind the Batmobile too much once I got used to it, but the stealth sections can gently caress right off.

...or at least I thought I didn't mind it too much until I hit the [spoiler]underground Batmobile battle with the Knight in the mines[/spoilers] and haven't touched the game since. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The only other one in play is, like... DC Universe Online. And that I don't know much about, but I got the feeling it was launched as an intended competitor for that Marvel MMO, and so when that never materialized the whole plan lost a bunch of momentum.

DCUO is still going and getting updates. In fact, I think it even got a Switch port at some point?

I played it for a while and launch and found it pretty fun. It was more of an action RPG than a typical MMO though, and I think that added a lot to it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

omori is the latest in an exhaustively long line of indie games that uses fantastical events as allegory for something the character is going through in real life. the titular character is very clearly spending most of his time in an imagination-land populated by imaginary friends having imaginary adventures that are fun and happy-go-lucky until they suddenly ARE NOT :stare:

I had not heard of omori before this post, but after reading this and looking it up on Steam I am sold on it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

There are parts in Cyberpunk where people are eating food and it looks all blocky and poorly done and I'm disappointed because FFXV and Sonic Unleashed, Monster Hunter and The World Ends with You and basically every Vanillaware game spoiled me.

Ahem.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Here's a little thing that just utterly delights and fascinates me: it's been discovered that most of the minor NPCs in Breath of the Wild are basically just Miis.

https://twitter.com/HEYimHeroic/status/1345946860222033923?s=20

The thread goes into more of an explanation, but the basis of it is that BotW's Hylian and Sheikah NPCs were made as Miis and then ran through a sort of converter to change them into the BotW style of character.

This means that with a bit of modding and work, you can get your own Miis into the game and replace existing the existing NPCs with your own, which is kind of cool and I am certain we're going to get some weird as gently caress stuff out of this and I can't wait to see it. :swoon:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm forty hours into Odyssey and loving the hell out of it. Combat is fun and hasn't gotten stale for me yet, the world is really nice looking and just a relaxing joy to ride around, and the high points of things so far are REALLY high.

I just finished the quest where you meet Chrysis and she tries to burn the baby to make her escape. Kassandra just going the hell off on her in the cutscene before had me pumping my fist in the air ready to go. I can't wait to track this piece of poo poo down and give her what's coming to her.

I love how Ubisoft seemed so completely resistant to female playable assassins for so long, but then like, every one of them they've made has been fuckin' awesome. Honestly, I would follow Kassandra into hell if she needed me, she's so fuckin' cool. :swoon:

Vandar has a new favorite as of 07:51 on Jan 6, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

At least Odyssey let you play as a woman. Who you can happily play as an extremely gay woman.

(let's not talk about the MUST HAVE BABY DLC)

I love how completely and utterly thirsty Daphnae from the Daughters of Artemis is for Kassandra. Like, not even trying to hide it.

I hope when I finish the legendary animals questline, there’s an option for her and Kass to get a nice little cottage together somewhere. :swoon:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Post back when you do finish, pls.

Oh no.

It'll be a while before I'm strong enough to finish the animals but I will try to remember to post back...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I just realized I'm finally leveled enough to handle the rest of them. Let's go take care care of this boar, it's next on the list...

...this stupid poison boar can bite me. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, the boar was definitely the hardest of the animals for me. On the other end of things, the bull was almost insultingly easy.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Post back when you do finish, pls.

I finished your stupid animal hunting quest. I don't think I like this game anymore. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I just accidentally killed a cultist out of nowhere in Odyssey, without any idea they were a cultist.

I guess the game is back in my good graces now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Squidster posted:

I picked up Odyssey on the thread's recommendation, but I'm a little lost; is there an overarching plot, or is it mainly a kill-guy get-numbers sandbox? I sailed off of tutorial island, and was told by I needed to do X fetch quests to unlock my jerk dad's cutscene. It's a super polished, beautiful game, but I think I'm missing why the player is supposed to be invested in all the ( admittedly fun ) violence.

The quests under the Odyssey tab are your main quests, you can follow those to stick to the main story. After you meet your jerk dad, the plot solidifies a little bit more, and then a little later on a massive game-spanning sidequest will open up to help tie things together. You'll know it when it unlocks, it gets it's own tab in the menu, and you'll want to work on that as you go through the story (some of your upgrades are tied to it).

Squidster posted:

Thanks, I'll focus on the main plotlines and romance, and ignore the daily quests. I did enjoy the resolution to the Cyclops plot, and searched in vain for a goat that walked funny to retrieve the obsidian eye.

The daily / weekly quests can be ignored for the most part, but if they have a blue icon (which represents the Orichalcum currency), you might want to do them if they're not too far out of your way. They give you Orichalcum, which you can trade to a certain vendor for legendary armor pieces and rare ship customization parts.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm up to 72 hours on my save and still haven't finished.

I've finished the myth stuff and am working on the remaining non-story locked cultists.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Things dragging down the game - I’m still 10 levels too low to visit the island of Lesbos.

Sappho lived roughed 150 years before Odyssey takes place, and they don't really play into the lesbian thing at all other than one major questline there.

It's kind of disappointing overall.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Alhazred posted:

I still don't understand why Aya wasn't the main protagonist. She's the one with the ship, she has her poo poo together and was important enough to get a statue instead of Bayek. In comparison Bayek is her idiot husband who cut off his own finger while assassinating someone.

"Dudes don't want to play as ladies in games and as we all know only dudes play games, yo." - Ubisoft marketing, probably, most likely the same guy that forced Alexios into being playable for Odyssey

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There was a stretch where their go-to lie was "we don't have animations for a female protagonist". Aside from being dumb on its own, this was right around when they had Assassins Creed games with multiplayer modes. Multiplayer modes with female characters and a full assassin moveset.

Dewgy posted:

Not to beat a dead horse but that was specifically for AC: Unity, which had an overwhelmingly detailed clothing customization system for your dude. By the time anyone complained about it, it would have taken a staggering amount of work to implement a second character of the opposite gender from scratch. They also immediately took it to heart and had a female player character in the next game.

My favorite part about this was after Ubisoft said 'hurr durr can't add a female assassin', the very next trailer for Sunset Overdrive featured...a female assassin. Probably using a skeleton for an already existing female character, but it was still a sort of funny 'gently caress you'.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-20-you-can-be-a-female-assassin-in-sunset-overdrive

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I just finished the Testikles quests in Odyssey.

Wrap it up, the game can't get much better than this. :allears:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Phy posted:

Just loaded up Odyssey and holy crap, these games have a museum mode now?

Pretty sure Origin was the first one to have that. It’s a pretty cool feature.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I started playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 yesterday and I really like the episodic nature (just finished Barry's first chapter), and the Raid mode is really cool too. It fits my lovely attention span perfectly, and the music in raid mode is neat.
I didn't think I'd like the flicking between two characters in the main story but it works nicely so far.

I'm alternating between this and RE7 for short periods because the latter is the prettiest ugly game I ever played.

I got so caught up in Rev 2’s raid mode that I never ended up finishing the main game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Fever dreams kick rear end

the ability to make any armor look like something from the same slot is very cool and good in AC:O

:yeah:

Glamour/transmog systems for armor and gear should be a standard feature in games.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

bony tony posted:

Kassandra is waifu slash transition goals

:yeah:

Kassandra has become one of my all time favorite game protagonists ever. Everything about her is just...incredible and amazing and awesome. :swoon:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Phy posted:

I bet that choice in AC:Odyssey to let the plague family on Kephallonia live or not went over a little differently in 2018 than it does now.

I really dislike that there's no follow-up to that quest that has you looking for a cure or something.

Cythereal posted:

Even though it's the Bronze Age, Kassandra is here to make sure there's plenty of guns.

Though she doesn't quite surpass Alkibeades as the biggest womanizer in the Aegean.

He's not a womanizer. He's an everythingizer. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

bony tony posted:

There is a followup, kinda! If you kill the priest, and come back to Kephallonia at a later time, the whole island has caught plague and a lot of people have died.

Let me rephrase: I wish there was a followup to THAT part. It's kind of terrible that you end up leaving the island just ravaged by plague and half it's people dead.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

flatluigi posted:

kassandra can do a lot of things but i think punch a disease into submission isn't one of them

She can't, but she meets and befriends literally the doctor of doctors during her travels. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Reminds me of how Arkham Knight does that. Lots of "blink and you'll miss it" Joker stuff alongside the more in-your-face moments.

He'll just be hanging on on rooftops sometimes, not doing anything but just watching you go by.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Arkham Knight has its issues, but it's honestly pretty dang good.

Granted, I didn't have much of a problem with the Batmobile stuff (some of it is over-exaggerated) so YMMV.

I like Arkham Knight a bunch except for the stealth Batmobile sections and the tunnels where you fight the Knight in the Batmobile, which is where I quit playing. I should get back and try to power through that section.

Honestly the Batmobile isn't as bad as it's reputation makes it out to be. It just takes some getting used to.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Phy posted:

does it count if you can just fuckin dive into the water and stab the fish?

There are very, very few games that I've enjoyed the fishing minigames in. Most of the time they seemed half-baked or just shoved in as a time waster.

EDIT: We need a new Legend of the River King.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

fartknocker posted:

If it was Karen Traviss, nothing would surprise me. She also got run off from the old Star Wars EU (And I think Halo’s books as well?) for all sorts of insane poo poo...

How loving bad does a writer have to be to get ran out of the Star Wars EU? :psyduck: Jesus Christ.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I like in Soul Calibur all the side stories that weren't a part of the main story that just got on an adventure and are like "Oh well I failed" and go home.

They put in the effort at least. You gotta give 'em props for at least trying.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cleretic posted:

My favorite part of fighting games are what I call the 'Meanwhile' characters. The guys that are in the roster to flesh it out, but have no real connection to the main plot for this game, so they've just got some weird side story going on.

What is 'Tina, Mila, and Bass in Dead or Alive'?

An intricate plot involving ninjas and evil corporations and clones!...and here's a couple of wrestlers off to the side doing their own thing.

(Incidentally they + Mariposa are the best DoA characters. :colbert:)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That and the tree in dlc 1 which you hit with a whip and it repairs your equipment. What a strange game

Wait WHAT

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

What the actual living gently caress

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

While the whole 'forcing your character into a straight relationship' part of AC: Odyssey is absolute garbage and undoubtedly lovely, I can at least appreciate that you have the option to tell Kassandra's stupid husband that you didn't have a baby out of love but to secure the bloodline instead. It still sucks, but it makes me feel slightly better about that plot point.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The FFIX guide still takes the award for worst guide ever.

Most of what the guide contained just said 'Go make a PlayOnline account to see how to do this!'

https://kotaku.com/the-worst-strategy-guide-ever-made-1702827492

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Pirates of the Caribbean game on the original Xbox is a hidden gem and it kills me that we never got a follow-up to it.