Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love in the commentary for the game when they talk about how much bullshit they had to go through to get Square-Enix to sign off on that one little gag.

Did they agree "Look motherfucker, every single person in this room will be dead for a decade and a half before Final Fantasy 27 even has a concept trailer. We can do this gag!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Xander77 posted:

They've been doing one every two years so far though?

Edit - Not counting spinoffs etc.

Not counting spin-offs? Going on North American dates:

FFX - 2001
FFXI - 2003
FFXII - 2006
FFXIII - 2010
FFXIV - Also 2010 but everything was on fire and the game straight up got cancelled and basically remade.
FFXIV Proper - 2014
FFXV - 2015 maybe. It's been in development since 2006...

Human Revolution is a decade and change in the future. Kinda optimistic there...

Nohman has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Jun 13, 2014

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

But...but...but they've got a time machine and Jane Austen!

Make it a reboot that is actually a stealth sequel. I mean the Saints have a time machine to gently caress up history with. Just make it seemingly a reboot of the series with the Saints first starting out and Ultor being the big bads but with a few things off due to time fuckery and then have it go weird places using the new Time Lord old crew. It could work.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Samfucius posted:

Play it in Russian with English subtitles, моя друг.

Edit: assuming PC

Don't do this your first time. The game doesn't subtitle any of the incidental dialog, which is like 90% of the world building.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Sleeveless posted:

I really hope that the AC series doesn't die until they reach WWII, if only to see Ubisoft handle Hitler and The Holocaust with the feather-light touch they're known for.

Yeah so, they already touched on Hitler back in the second game. :v:

Assassin's Creed 2 posted:

By the 1930s, Hitler was under the influence of the Templar Order, obtaining an Apple of Eden from Templar industrialist Henry Ford, intending for him to use it to start World War II. Alongside fellow Templar puppet Joseph Stalin, Hitler brought on the turmoil and fear necessary for Abstergo Industries to take control of the working population.

On 30 April 1945, at the end of the war, Hitler executed his body double inside the Führerbunker and planned to meet Winston Churchill with the Apple of Eden at a rendezvous point. However, upon leaving the bunker, Hitler was killed by the Assassins.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

poptart_fairy posted:

This works in reverse too! If you're cool and level-headed, with a reputation as such, but get angry at him during the museum level he will be insufferably smug and taunt you for getting under your skin. Jim Cummings did an incredible job with the voice acting on that guy.

Likewise, if you're a professional most of the time with others and just exclusively act like an rear end in a top hat clowning him, he gets incredibly annoyed with you rightly acting like he's some nobody mid-boss.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Fools Infinite posted:

I definitely did not feel it was open. If you aren't skipping things, you are typically presented with two options, one of which is a dead end and sometimes optional. Each area is pretty self enclosed and the shortcuts you unlock just loop back on themselves in the same area. There is really only one spot where you can actually do something differently to skip ahead. Also an easily missed optional area. It never felt like it opened up to me and was focused on a single goal the entire game, not split like the others.

I think Dark Souls 2 did a much better job giving you options to explore (especially SotFS), although it was really easy to miss what you needed to do to find them the first time around. Like in DS2 when you can explore the pit in town. I got the fall reduction ring, but couldn't survive the fall because for some reason it depended on what you had equipped, so that was dumb. Or how I talked to the miracle woman, but not enough times to get her to move.

Going back to the same location again and again felt less terrible in Dark Souls 2 because the loading times were more reasonable and things were more branching, and the character loading art Demon's Souls made it bearable to me because it hyped up people who met in game as some legendary figures. Going back to a central area was even worse in Bloodborne though, before the update the loading times were crazy long and had no flavor text just the logo.

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 3 is the people claiming Dark Souls 2 was so much more open with its 3 dead end directions you could aimlessly wander down, with level design that would feel right at home in a first person shooter from 2001. It was truly a hidden gem, despite everyone bagging on it for being a disappointment prior to the new sequel.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

please tell me there's a mod for Max Payne 3 that makes the cutscenes skippable. I will finally play it again if that is the case because that game is the poster child for really good gameplay surrounded by lovely everything else

Nope. Unskippable cutscenes are hard coded in because they were masking load times on consoles and Rockstar, despite their huge budgets, are kind of hacks. The best you can do is play the arcade mode, which means you only have to sit through the opening 10 minute cutscene of a level. :v:

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked his solution to his problem - he was told to guard the boats, but he had no fences. But he had boats. So he built a fence out of the boats. "Now, Boats guard Boats!" :3: I also loved the pathetic bird that Geralt painted on the fence.

If you let the troll paint the fence itself instead of Geralt, it does a spot on accurate job of painting the crest.

Edit: Geralt's painting for comparison. The Witcher 3 can be a funny game.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Nuebot posted:

He's the pontiff. Google tells me "pontiff" means "The Pope". So yes, you can punch the pope to death.

His name in the Japanese version is straight up "Pope Sullivan". So yeah, you can straight up punch the pulp to death (not particularly easy though, since punch weapons are kinda trash now :smith:)

One of Xenosaga 2's late bosses is straight up the Space Pope. He was renamed the Patriarch in the English localization but he was originally straight up the Pope and his faction is straight up evil Space Catholics.

Nohman has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Jul 4, 2016

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

2house2fly posted:

I'm waiting for some kind of Ultimate Edition with all the DLC included to get Witcher 3, but it gets harder and harder to put it off the more I hear about it

They just announced a GOTY edition with all the DLC. It is coming out within a few weeks. The expansions are some of the best content of the game and some of the best DLC around period. Just wait for that.

Nohman has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Aug 28, 2016

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Cleretic posted:

I suppose that's fair enough, but there's still some good low-barrier stuff there. We can start making the fact Cloud spends a chunk of disk 2 as a wheelchair-bound babbling vegetable one of the things everyone brings up, right? Or the fact the literal stuffed toy party member is like CRAZY evil and traitorous?

The fact Aerith's the one that dies is itself a little thing worth noting, though, because I happen to know it wasn't set in stone until relatively late in development; before then it was either going to be her or Barrett. Aerith was the good choice because she's a standard character in Final Fantasy, the demure female supporting character. Rosa in IV, Lenna in V, Terra in VI, and then afterwards we still had the likes of Rinoa and Yuna... not only were they integral party members by role for the most part, they were by far the most important non-protagonist party member. Someone like that doesn't just die, you kill people like Barrett because they're ultimately sideliners! The fact they killed probably the most metatextually invincible party member is a big part of why it sustained like it did, I think.

Sure, except Tifa was the demure listless childhood friend female character. She just happened to dress like a street hooker. I swear nobody loving remembers any part of Final Fantasy VII and just go off the half-recalled Kingdom Hearts depictions of all the characters

Len posted:

Tidus is still a little bitch compared to Jecht though. :colbert:

Jecht's entire story was him coming to terms with being a huge drunk gently caress-up.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Slime posted:

The Turks are very dedicated to their work...while they're on duty. Hojo was similar. I swear, Shinra could have stopped half of the horrible things Hojo did by just giving him like a month's vacation while everything was going down.

It'll be interesting to see the Final Fantasy VII remake if they remember how goddamn goofy that game actually was with stuff like Hojo chilling out on a holiday weekend surrounded by babes in a full lab coat or President Shinra doing an evil overlord roleplay with hookers in the slums. Or if it'll go the all serious brooding anime all the time like everything in the extended FF7 universe trash.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

jojoinnit posted:

This might be a bit of a stretch but I just launched Hitman 2016 and saw there was a special holiday themed assissination mission. The briefing is:

The crooks names are Bagnato and Gonif. Gonif I already know is the yiddish word for "thief" which got me curious about Bagnato. Google tells me it means "moist or wet". They're Americans who had to leave the country after a series of "botched break-ins". Your targets for the Christmas mission are the Wet Bandits.

E: I just realised their names are also literally Harry and Marv which were the character names in Home Alone too. Guess it's not that subtle after all.

One of the challenges is knocking one of the thieves out three separate times with a thrown brick. Dudes just cannot catch a break from mischievous multiple grievous head injuries in a single night.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Nuebot posted:

The really weird part was that the Dragon God boss from demon's souls, which mechanically speaking it's somewhat similar to, wasn't anywhere near as bad. It really is weird how the bed of chaos just manages to be the singular worst part of the entire series.

Easy, Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith was the last thing they worked on and it's straight up unfinished/hastily thrown together to ship.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Feonir posted:

There is a quite real possibility someone will go from Wonderful 101 another platinum game right into a Taro Yoko driven Nier:Automata.

You would need to HALO jump into the Mariana Trench to act as an example of the kind of tone shift those players will be experiencing.

That would require someone to have actually played Wonderful 101.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Glagha posted:

2 is exactly the opposite of what's happening? They push tons of preorder bonuses and "early access" to games people preorder to convince people to buy games before they even know what they are, and don't let reviewers get ahold of them so that people aren't inadvertently convinced to cancel their preorder by someone pointing out that the game's poo poo. Plus they still give pre-release copies of games out, but they just give the games out to youtubers who are unlikely to be critical of the game to give them free advertising. It's scummy as gently caress.

I dunno, I think people are capable of watching some dipshit Youtuber playing a video game and decide if it looks like it's poo poo or not. Having it processed into a poorly written essay by some pushing 40 white guy in a dying media format ain't much better. Times have changed. But as always, never preorder games.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Who What Now posted:

There's also a billing invoice from a construction company for installing secret doors that are opened by shadow puppetry.

The billing invoice is for a company called "Trevor & Chamberlain's Construction". George Trevor was the guy who constructed the Resident Evil 1 puzzle filled mansion. Apparently before he died, he founded a company that just installs weird rear end puzzle and emblem doors for residencies.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

rydiafan posted:

I found it emotionally difficult to kill Best Friend Tabitha, if that counts.

You could have repaired Best Friend Rhonda and let them go off peacefully on adventures together. You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Vic posted:

It began with half of the Unreal Tournament 2004s characters, then Gears of War and then a year later UT3. There were like 4 gears of war games too.

Blame Cliff Bleszinski - not the engine.

Nah. It was actually an engine thing with Unreal Engine 3. The thing's default settings for male model skeletons and everything associated with them were gigantic ripped Gears of War muscle men with huge feet. Likewise women were all rail thin with push-up bras, huge butts and weirdly long fingers. Sure, you could alter the defaults but most who worked with that engine didn't so you get things like the Arkham games where Batman, Gordon and Generic Cop #27 all look like they do Zangief's training regiment and Catwoman, Harley and Generic Hostage Lady #19 all share the exact same measurements.