Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Replaying The Witcher 3 right now. I just knocked a guy off a cliff with the Aard sign and heard him do the Wilhelm scream as he fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I seem to recall the intent with HR was that you'd get additional experience with stealth because you needed additional experience when going stealthy; while it's relatively easy to pop up and shoot some dudes in the face, there's more skills that inform your ability to sneak around, thus more stuff to spend EXP on. This predictably runs into trouble with many gamers' need to maximize their advantages.

Similarly, the Typhoon was built as a get-out-of-jail-free card for hard combats, with the idea being that if you weren't playing the game for combat, then you could just use the Typhoon to make it go away. It's kind of an unsatisfying solution to that problem though, compared to DX1, which lets you subvert a lot of fights through situation-specific planning and cleverness instead.

For example, you can get a killphrase for one of the bosses by doing some extra legwork in preceding missions. And there's another boss that normally confronts you at a set point, but you can just find chilling out on a different map earlier; if you sneak up and ice them there then of course they aren't around to give you trouble later.

Then again, the fact that DXHR has recognizable boss fights is kind of a problem to begin with.

They tried to get things a little bit back to how they were in DX1 for Mankind Divided. Like how you could get around the final fight by finding Marchenko's kill switch.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I'm replaying The Witcher 3, and this game is full of awesome little things. When you and the Bloody Baron confront the botchling, Geralt says that the townspeople should put a line of salt in front of their doors, and lines of salt are actually present during the quest.

Also, the Baron is always shown with a dagger in a sheath on his chest. In most games, this would just be part of the character model and wouldn't ever be used. But in one instance, the Baron loses his actual sword, and he pulls the dagger out so he can defend himself.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

In Stars Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, when you go to finally get the holocron and experience the vision of the Zeffo, the Zeffo Sage is speaking to you, but he is being echoed by other Zeffo that are speaking through the monuments you've seen in your quest so far. The monuments look in your direction and follow you as you move toward the Sage, which was extremely unnerving to me. It definitely helped with the sense that a long-dead race is speaking to you.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Der-Wreck posted:

The redacting of information on memos is pretty funny at times. In the Dead Letters section, you find a number of weird letters that were never properly addressed so they somehow ended up at the Bureau due to their strangeness. One you find just has a repeating message of "I'm wearing a pinstripe suit in a plaid patterned world" over and over again. Except one sentence of the repeating message is redacted. I love thinking about why is that particular line redacted? Is that the one line that causes some weird things to happen? What's the purpose behind the redacting of that specific line?

That one actually creeped me out the most, because I had the thought that the redacted line said something completely different. It reminded me of Twin Peaks, where "the owls are not what they seem" was printed out amongst repeating numbers.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Playing through the Foundation DLC for Control, and Jesse Faden Starring In Swift Platform was almost as fun as the Ashtray Maze.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Playing the Control AWE Expansion and loving it. Noticed a cool little touch: each occasion where you catch a glimpse of Alan Wake in the Oceanview Motel, if you look out the motel windows you can see that it is underwater, because Wake is still trapped under Cauldron Lake.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Biplane posted:

Control is like 60% off on the xbox store, so I got it. One thing I noticed right away were all the office posters around the place, in particular one that says something like "time lost in unexpected building shifts does NOT count as overtime" even in a hidden paranormal government facility the Man is keeping the working joe down.

There's also a memo saying that your timesheets must reflect actual time that passes in the Bureau and that time in the astral plane does not count towards overtime.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

A gun is a very effective weapon. It would be cool if the Service Weapon did a bit more but it’s totally reasonable that the Director gets a weapon that can shift between 5 of the most effective killing machines designed by humans (unless the service weapon could take the form of weaponized biological or chemical processes). Excalibur is short range, a throwing hammer pales to a rocket launcher, etc. I’m more interest to know if it had it’s on-the-fly adaptation powers when it was Trench’s gun, which is described as a revolver. A six-shooter morphing into, idk, sawed off shotgun or something would be neat to witness. Jesse’s version has a more modular appearance and I can see how it might reflect her outsider nature; she has had to shift and adapt following the tragedy of her childhood and she is a blank slate with regards to knowledge of the Bureau. Much easier for it take take the shape of “gun, useful” rather than “the altered item I’ve seen the previous director with but a little different”

Trench's version of the Service Weapon didn't need to be anything more than a six shooter since he wasn't really a field agent anymore. My sense was that with Jesse, it upgraded itself to be as lethal as possible since she needed the various forms to defeat the Hiss.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

I was waiting for the dlc to all come out so I just reinstalled to finish it up. Should I do them one at a time or should I at least go get Surge before doing Foundation

The powers and weapon forms they added are instantly available, I believe, assuming you don't need something specific from the Investigation Sector to unlock Surge.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I really love that the Board's unique dialogue style lends itself well to (Foundation spoilers) the aforementioned thinly veiled threats feeling more vindictive. Like when the Board says "you are welcome /grateful" regarding letting you keep both powers, you know it actually means "you'd better be grateful". And when it says "Do not associate /work with The Former" there's an implied "or else".

The "or else" is pretty explicit in their first hotline call about Former during the Fridge Duty quest: "If you leave, you will be sorry/dead, and you will never work/exist in this Torn/Cosmic Reality again."

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wait, they switched him out? The videos were brief and weird enough that I didn't even notice. I guess it makes sense to not have him twice in live action.

But it's also neat that he voices both characters, I think I played through both base games before realizing that.

Matthew Porreta only voiced Wake in the original game as well. That Finnish dude has always been the in game model for the character.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I finished Mankind divided,holy poo poo it was so loving good.

The levels were brilliant
The missions were great
The hub world was great
The new augs were cool
I did a non lethal run and it actually felt organic and not a total nightmare
Even though it was a non lethal run i still got to shoot a few drones and robots + shoot a few doors down so my lethal weapons weren’t a total waste
I liked that the final boss was tough and relentless but can be taken down like other armoured enemies,it felt fair.
The only thing i didn’t like was the unskippable credits,minor bugbear.

Mankind Divided was great, I can't wait for Eidos to get back to Deus Ex and finish their little prequel trilogy. I thought there was an option fast forward the credits, but either way, it was worth it for the post-credits scene, which was a bit more substantial than the one in Human Revolution. I liked the setup for the next game and the TF29 physciatrist working with DeBeers and the Illuminati, interested to see where they take it.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

I know Andromeda has its issues. But at the same time, there was a lot of that game that I really, really enjoyed. Once in a while I play it and get sad about the obvious sequel/dlc bait.

It had a few noticeable flaws (I hate most of the side missions that jump from planet to planet), but I thoroughly enjoyed Andromeda, though I admittedly played it after the first couple patches had come down. I knew I'd like it as soon as I met a turian scientist who asked me if I wanted to hit rocks for science. Side mission fetch quest aside, that's exactly the kind of thing people like me that study lithics would say.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Some of the characters were forgettable, but I thought the Tempest crew was very fleshed out and well done, especially crotchety krogan dad Nakmor Drack

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Games like Andromeda need more super science. If I'm exploring an alien planet that is in another galaxy, I don't want more temples or underground caverns, there's enough of that back at home. Give me enormous, 'alien' structures, show me the remains of a Dyson sphere hundreds of light years away. That planet? It's actually artificial and used to regulate the sun every millenia.

Hell, the original Mass Effect had hints of that in their planet descriptions.

About that: a Dyson sphere is exactly what Meridian turns out to be, and it's used to regulate a cluster-wide terraforming network. And the monoliths and vaults fit the definition of enormous alien structures. So is it that those things didn't live up to what you were envisioning there?

Randalor posted:

Can't you find... I want to say it was the planet that fired the shot in one of the games?

Spoilers for anyone running through the games for the first time via the Legendary Edition: Cerberus locates the planet that fired the shot in ME2 and finds the weapon defunct. They use it to find the intended target, which is the derelict Reaper that the Illusive Man sends you to.

Gordon Shumway has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Aug 7, 2021

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Biplane posted:

I remember none of that.

If you couldn't get into the game and quit before Eos, then you never would have seen it. Some of the more "alien" stuff about the Heleus Cluster was introduced a couple hours into the game. At the start, it's just the monolith on Habitat 7 (which, unlike the other Remnant structures, you don't really explore, it's just seen in a cutscene) and the Scourge (the spaceweed you remembered seeing). If they'd given you more of an opportunity to explore that stuff in the initial mission, it might have helped draw people in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Just started playing Return to Monkey Island, and I love it. So much nostalgia for those LucasArts adventure games. I laughed when I was able to browbeat the guy in the Scumm Bar into telling me about Loom again and got an achievement for it.