Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah the main thing that pissed me off about Crysis 2 is it ignored everything about the first game except ~aliens~ and nanosuits, I wanted to see Prophet's story not have him killed off before I even get control of my character.

The Ling-Shan incident was actually orchestrated by CryNet, in an attempt to have to Nanosuits (developed by hacking alien tech discovered by the company) experience the original Ceph habitat, and to collect information on them. Only Prophet knew this though. By the time C2 started Prophet has learned that one of the main alien sites is under Manhattan, and this is why he came back. He was however too sick and tired to go on, this is why he put Alcatraz, the only (barely) surviving marine he found into the suit. He's not dead though, the suit used Alcatraz's remaining body and mind and fused with it while slowly restoring Prophet's consciousness into the new occupant.

It's a weird story, and not without its gaps and retcons, but I'm forgiving because C2 is my ultimate favorite FPS. I like plenty other games, but nothing comes even close to its experience. Many say it's a corridor shooter, but it's not fair - every encounter you have can be approached several radically different ways. I've played through it once without using the cloak, and one could probably sneak most of the game as well. I've never had another game with that kind of freedom to adapt to situations.

Sorry for the derail, they aren't really small things, I just love that game so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

I do agree with you that C2 was a better game than most reviews said it was, at least I enjoyed it more, but I definitely think that's one of the issues with the whole series: it doesn't seem like they had a good idea of where the story was going from the beginning. So for C2 they have to go back and explain a whole bunch of events in a context they never really had, whereas it would have been hinted at had they actually known at the time they wanted it to go there.

I've read Peter Watts's Crysis:Legion several times, so it might just be the overexposition but the story more-or-less works. It's jarring a bit to lose Nomad and have Prophet instead just to lose him and get the suit as the protagonist in C2 and then get Prophet back in C3, but I can overlook the gaps if I get to wear the nanogear.

carry on then posted:

Personally, I think they really missed an opportunity to make something of the three people who found the original Ceph crash in 1918, and how each used different means to live on and fight an invasion they knew was coming but had no idea when.

Well, except for Gould's grandfather (if I remember right about him being the third) Hargreave and Rasch kinda got their spotlights there.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

Yeah, I always have to try the flamethrower in a video game, just in case it turns out to be the legendary Video Game in Which the Flamethrower is Useful. It never is though.

You should really try Payday 2.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Exit Strategy posted:

The flamethrower in Payday 2 might be the best flamethrower in video game history. It does a poo poo-ton of direct damage and the afterburn stacks, so for every second you have fire on-target you've doubled your afterburn damage. Only a handful of the enemies in the game can withstand a full tank of fuel. It takes a little bit to learn how to use it properly, but nothing clears a room like it. Combine it with a very accurate, powerful secondary and you've got the ability to live through almost anything in that game.

Also, standard enemies are incapacitated by fire. And you can combine it with a perk where dealing damage heals you. It's insane.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

QuietLion posted:

In Dead Space 3, you can set little scavenger bots to collect materials while you're away from a workbench. If you place the bots in the snow, they leave little trails in the snow and even leave a tiny hole if they scoot into a snowdrift. :3:

Also they are absurdly powerful; I saw one push a box that was at least four times its size!

The amount of time a slight mis-scroll made Isaac put them down very-very slowly and carefully while being mauled by ugly mutants during my playthrough was obscene.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I really wish I could see it that way. That sounds awesome.

Something like this (it took me a few seconds to click, but can't unsee now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Haven't played Eternal but these Marauders sound like bosses and why I typically don't love bosses in games. Usually all your normal stuff doesn't work, there's a lot of tedious waiting around for openings, and repeating the same patterns throughout the encounter and everytime you beat them.

Counterpoint, along with one of my favourite little things, a beautiful glory kill at 0:18:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfm2XDyj5LQ