Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

It's a shame so few first person games have proper climbing mechanics (like Thief/Dishonored).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Speaking of Red Faction, I like how they had to spend a lot of time to tune the buildings for Guerrilla. Modellers are lovely architects and the structures couldn't hold their own weight with a sophisticated physics engine.

Also I like to drive my truck through the walls.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hah, just noticed that in Metal Gear Rising your tiny tripod robot tries to plug an USB cable wrong way and then turns it around.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Playing Scribblenauts with a 4-year-old niece is great.

She created a rocket-propelled coyote by pressing random buttons (the game tries to auto-correct your input). This resulted a whole zoo of rocket-propelled animals.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Apr 7, 2015

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Exit Strategy posted:

My favorite "overly concerned with the damage you're dealing" script, though, remains the punch tutorial from Gunpoint. It proceeds from telling you that one punch is OK and enough to knock someone out up through giving you an achievement if you'll please just stop punching that guy.

For those who haven't seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NScN9CwK1Z0

You get the achievement after 100 punches.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GrandpaPants posted:

I played through Saints Row 3 and this scene happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KdwbygnAc0

Mandatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BoIEY4xA4

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
In Mafia 2 you can use a payphone to get rid of the cops (bribe). There was a random woman using the booth so my character grabbed the phone and said: "She'll call you later!" before making the bribe call.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The new Dwarf Fortress version is shaping up nicely.

(Your adventurer is probably crying because you made him to kill all those children)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Playing Strider and thought this was quite clever.

An arrow shaped antenna that points to the next checkpoint. It's easy to miss and there's a minimap anyway so it isn't too useful but I was amused.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Evilreaver posted:

"Shut uuuuppp"

Oh man, I always wished the games had that feature.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Well it's not something that you can easily throw in during the development and SoM came just a year ago.

I'd like to see something like that on racing games. Surely there must be some already?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
This has been posted several times before but drat these story missions in AC: Black Flag are boring. Open world stuff is mostly fun and pretty addictive but at least half of the story missions require following someone and/or stealthing around scripted guards who are placed so that even casual players can beat the level on their third try. It doesn't help that after AC3 I realised that the story will never get any kind of satisfying conclusion.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This is true everywhere except Dead Space.

Bah, about 50% of video game flamethrowers just set monster on fire and then it keeps attacking you while its health is slowly draining.

Other 50% are awesome though.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
1) XCOM 2 main menu includes one of your recently used soldiers stalking enemies.
2) Mods!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

BioEnchanted posted:

I always thought that that would be a great way to do an alternate joke ending in a JRPG. If the game detects that everyone is at max level with all abilities and ultimate weapons, the final boss just gives up after seeing you kill his lead general in one 99999 hit. He just throws you the macguffin, unties the damsel in distress and runs away going "Sorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorrysorry" He's not going to be a challenge at that point anyway, so why not have fun with it :P

In Final Fantasy I it's possible to overlevel (at least with a glitch, not sure if it's possible with grinding) so much that the end boss flees the battle and the game ends.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Biohazard sounds something a Western company would make so they needed a random word salad to reach the target audience.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gorilla Salad posted:

All this talk of Witcher 3 got me to look it up on Steam and it's on sale for just $25 for the next week or so. Now I can play it on my computer with silly mods :)

It also reminded me of the very first time I ever heard of the Witcher series. Someone posted a gif from the opening cutscene of the second game and it just blew me away. I found the full thing on youtube and I was hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5BeOLZhyw

Might not count as a "Game moment" but it sure as hell succeeded on selling the series to me.

This is honestly one of my all-time favorite CGI action scenes including everything from Hollywood.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
While I enjoy CK's mechanics a lot, the whimsical style really helps it to become more than just a glorified excel sheet.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SevenSocks posted:

Sad little thing I discovered by accident.

Watch Dogs 2 is a game with a fair amount of watching and a decent amount of dogs. Sometimes random civilians will be walking their friendly, petable dogs through the bay area. Sometimes there are casualties. What was surprising for me to find out is that if the dog owner happens to die but the dog doesn't, they actually gave the dog an AI package to lay down and cry by their broken, dead body.

Hang in there little fella.

So I told Dean to lay down on the street.. he actually did it the absolute madman hahahahahahaha!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SEKCobra posted:

I don't remember committing suicide in Portal 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPuE34-6pCE

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

gohuskies posted:

SR knows what it is much, much better than any GTA. I appreciated the self-awareness that ended up being wholly embraced in SR4. Also the SR4 ending dance scene is one of my favorite closing cutscenes in a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhE1dNQ8TI

Alternatively:
http://i.imgur.com/FsT27wZ.gifv

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Whatever happened with that Kickstartered Ultima game anyway?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Biplane posted:

Oh, my god. Has anyone seen the intro to Wildlands? It is so unbelievably retarded, it must either be a masterpiece or madness. It honestly seems like it was cooked up by someone with a grudge against the nation of Bolivia, and everybody should see it on youtube. I hope this link works, I'm phoneposting. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvzv8BAFB24

quote:

Bolivian officials weren’t exactly thrilled with how their country was portrayed in Wildlands. Interior Minister Carlos Romero said Wednesday his country sent a letter to the French ambassador in La Paz lodging a formal complaint and reportedly asking the government to intervene, though it’s not clear how. “We have the standing to do it [take legal action], but at first we prefer to go the route of diplomatic negotiation,” Romero said.

Ubisoft defended their decision, saying it was a “work of fiction” in a statement sent to Reuters. “While the game’s premise imagines a different reality than the one that exists in Bolivia today, we do hope that the in-game world comes close to representing the country’s beautiful topography,” Ubisoft said. Ubisoft did not immediately respond to Foreign Policy’s request for comment.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It eventually makes him get sick and wander off to a secluded area to throw up. Makes for an easy sneaky murder.

As much as I love Hitman 2016, the AI NPC reactions to your disguises were a little off on some of the levels.

Case and point Marrakesh. After posing as a Swedish masseuse to kill the first target, wandering around the streets of Morocco every Joe Schmo in Marrakesh recognized Konny Engstrom, apparently world famous masseuse. Despite being a foot taller and looking absolutely nothing like the dude I knocked out :v:

Well in the original game nobody notices that one of the Chinese triad members is suddenly a 6'2" Westerner. :v:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm so happy that Erik Wolpaw left Valve so he can write something else than supplements for multiplayer games.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

muscles like this! posted:

This is a real support page on Ubisofts website.
https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000034501/Is-Boomer-a-good-boy

Answer: yes, yes he is.

They are trying too hard to be hip and viral.

I'm old and grumpy.

e. oh poo poo this was the good thing thread, sorry.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Mar 28, 2018

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc the rideable horses in LOTRO were actually a pair of pants you equipped

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

MrAptronym posted:

Looks like the first non-valve, non-free game I got was The Deus Ex Collection a full 3 years after I got half-life 2. Was there even much on steam in the first couple years? I know I kind of avoided it because I didn't like the idea of one DRM'd storefront.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
A time travelling assassin who doesn't actually kill anyone, just removes them from the gene pool.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I like that Football Manager's cover model is now a canonical Sonic character.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The best Mortal Kombat video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-egksufiao

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What happens when you enable player control during New Vegas ending slides (normally just static images with voice-over):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywKKK3rSeeo

Kennel has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Jul 30, 2018

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, the risk management is a key element in XCOM and savescumming makes it a completely different game.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1039147815480504322

Kennel has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Sep 10, 2018

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Undertale is the real Frog Fractions 2.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Vic posted:

I blame the 90s

His chest looks like a cadillac

What about the 30s?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I bet Bruce is banned from every gym in Gotham.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

exquisite tea posted:

These were probably all added in playtesting as people couldn’t figure out what to do.

"Mike, they're still stuck" "gently caress!"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
In Shadowrun: Dragonfall one sidequest has a temporary companion who becomes increasingly frustrated as I click through every hotspot (search trash bin, read papers on desk etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You wouldn’t miss much by skipping the original campaign. If you do play it, play it first, dragonfall has enough improvements that going back will be basically impossible.

I actually played the original just before this and I think they updated pretty much everything to the old game since the mechanics are almost identical (outside less linear structure).

Kennel has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Nov 5, 2018