Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i appreciate the detail yakuza 0 puts into being a period piece of late 80s japan. i walked into a convenience store and took a look around and you can examine a magazine rack and see the front page of 20 or so magazines that were out at the time with kiryu giving a short comment on each one and what was running at the time.

also i tried to retrieve a video game from a yakuza and he shot me with a pistol, an accurate representation of gamer persecution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the main reason i hated seymour in ffx is his stupid loving character design and awful outfit

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I actually liked the outfit design for Seymour, it's a very unorthodox design that still hits a series of important details about him:

-He's a Fantasy Priest in a Pacific Islands kinda area, so of course he's got very flowy robes that have a more unusual cut than we're used to.

-Seymour is basically a JRPG protagonist slowly learning that he's actually the bad guy in this story, so he suits as being as elaborately quirky as the main party themselves.

-He clearly thinks he's hot as hell, so there's some knowing sex appeal there too. The previous poster calling him a guido was making a joke, but... actually he kinda is, even if he wasn's a super wizard and mega-priest Seymour would still think highly of himself in a very beach-y setting. So there's some of that beach-bro attitude there, too, just in a different flavor to what Tidus and Wakka have going on.

most of it is that his corset-thing looks terrible and his hair is an unfortunate casualty of "fine in stylized 2D but super unnatural in realistic 3D"

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Dishonored's world is so generally unpleasant I can't imagine anyone liking it, there's absolutely nothing good in it aesthetically, just pure ugliness and grimness.

well yeah its based on the british empire

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I've come to make an announcement: Shadow the Hedgehog's a bitch-rear end motherfucker, he pissed on my loving wife.

the ultimate wife form

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

SLOSifl posted:

The blackface is striking

*tugs collar*

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't even understand what the gently caress that post is saying, I played GTAV and enjoyed it. Never touched online. Worst thing I can say is the classic rock station was weak

gta v has deep contempt for me, a classic rock dad

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

2B is afflicted with a terminal case of Literary Contemplativeness. in better times she would have been sent to a poetry hospital (college) but alas, in the harsh flames of war she can only hunt down and kill whatever nearby creature closest represents The Human Condition to temporarily alleviate the symptoms

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

Disgaea's playstyle lends itself really well to handheld consoles you can sleep at any time, and the main game is basically FF:Tactics except insane and with an awful plot that it's best to entirely ignore. I've never really gone deep at the post game of one but I've played a handful of them and feel like I definitely got my money's worth.

tbf it's not like the plot (at least in 1, haven't played the others) tries to be anything other than light comedy 99 percent of the time. even if the jokes fall flat most of it is just "here's a new party member" or "go here, fight these guys"

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I will admit that I didn't know what the term meant when I first played the game and I picked it for the damage without thinking* but then I was just "oh, so that's what meant. guess i'm gay now"

Although I only had 2 INT so that made it weird again.

*Yes, the existence of Black Widow/Ladykiller should have clued me in.

"shot in the head and now im dumb and gay" ie himboification

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm not sure if Ghost Trick counts, but Missile is a very good boy.

if missile doesnt count whats even the point of the list

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i do like the insane ost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP4u8QYJmO0

madcap arrhythmic church bells as harbinger of the apocalypse, somehow the exact thing i would expect to hear directly before the corpse of a god and dragon gives me otherdimensional supercancer

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Don Gato posted:

No game has ever hated children as much as the original Drakengard and I'm including it's sequels and spinoffs/sequels/whatever you want to call Nier. And that's one of it's selling points.

FIFA arguably does if you include real children

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Swapper was an underrated gem and still towards the top of the list when people are asking for recommendations for puzzle games. I should reinstall and play through it again since it's been long enough since the last time that I'll have forgotten all the puzzles.

most of the puzzles are very good. i think there were only a few of the last ones that i had to look up and seemed overcomplicated (for reference there are something like 120)

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Also am I remembering right that it's one of several indie games from around the same time that did the "oh but to see the really, really final ending go hunt down the 10 super secret doodads hidden off the map" thing?

I should give it another go at some point as well, but I remember being much more lukewarm on it. It's certainly good, but my eventual frustration and impatience overshadowed it a bit. On the plus side, it indirectly led to The Talos Principle which I love so hey.

i don't think so? iirc there are 2 endings and its a binary choice

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the numbers in riven being base-5 at least have the excuse of it being a puzzle game. the card game in final fantasy 9 uses hexadecimal numbers for the card stats and never even communicates it to the player.

kinda feels like the devs realized the game was too random and finicky to be fun even if you know the mechanics and just figured gently caress it, anyone who plays it is just gonna savescum anyway, make it optional and call it a day

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

an enemy is just a friend you haven't killed yet

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought FFXV was mostly mediocre and disappointing but I was really impressed how much some of the caves you explore look like actual caves. The lighting, the coloring, the rock formations, the size and etc. are really spot on. Despite being a ubiquitous videogame environment videogame caves are almost always super unrealistic. Someone on the development team clearly cared a lot about getting caves right and I appreciate it.

15 went through significant devhell so maybe there was just three guys quietly sitting in a corner for 8 years while everything else was getting shuffled and rearranged and thrown out and reworked just continually polishing the Cave Set the whole time

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

your pacemaker has been turned into a bitcoin miner

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

im sympathetic to the writers of DE for struggling to write discrimination against augmented humans without making it incredibly hokey because the only comparable historical parallel they had to mine was the time people got their google glasses smashed because they wouldnt stop filming strangers

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

horses are the original third party controller

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Randalor posted:

I would question how Ryder was made the leader if they had no leadership expertise,

his dad gave him the job

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Riatsala posted:

Do you mind telling me (in spoilers) what other games are similar in the mind-gently caress branching-story VN genre? Branching-story and VN optional. I don't mind knowing in advance and I've been chasing the high of the 999 series for years.

try Raging Loop

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

anniversary was good aside from that loving grappling hook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

not nearly enough pianos being dropped from large heights in media these days. hollywood has declined