Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hero Core (by creator of Iji among other things) is an arcadey metroidvania with lots of very neat touches considering the Gameboy-esque aesthetics. One graphical neat touch is that in rooms where water(?)-drops fall from the ceiling, they'll actually land on the Hero or enemies that move below them. There's no splash or anything, but it's cool that it's not just a non-interactive part of the background.

Also, different difficulty modes have different world layouts and different enemy behavior.

Lastly, if you know what you're doing you can skip right to the final boss in under a minute of gameplay. This is intended.

There's a lot more cool things, but they're secret :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Netstorm: Islands at War was in many ways ahead of its time, a multi-player centric RTS where, since the only way to attack others was by building towers, it involved a lot more than just 'build mob of creatures -> send to opponent's camp'.

The best part though? To defeat an opponent, destroying their base wasn't enough. No, you had to capture their Priest (unique basic building unit), then sacrifice it in a ritual.

The ritual itself was awesome - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gInoX2mwgM&t=510s

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gauntlet IV for the Genesis

What don't I like about this game? It's a non-linear Gauntlet game with great music and with multiplayer the final boss becomes such an awesome experience. I wish I knew of an LP made by non-terrible people of this game because drat it was so good.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed finding a secret and as a reward having the point of the game spelled out to me as if I was an idiot.

But really the game is great fun, I just don't plan to ever 100% it, I'm fine with the basic ending.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As long as they don't for some reason put Hamon Holyfist there I'm fine because if he were playable I'd be even sadder I'll never be able to play the game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

The Secret of Mana remake is a bunch of fun. The dialog seems mostly unchanged, and it's now voice acted, and I'm loving hearing that cheesy poo poo said out loud, by real people.

I don't myself, which is why I'm glad I can mute the voice overs. Appreciate the extra work for those who do enjoy them though!

e: but really I only bought it in hopes of a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake/port/whatever for PC

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol

"Nothing like the original."

later in the same review

"the beginning story beats are just as bad too. They banish the main character for dooming their town because the Sword of Mana protected it. NEWSFLASH, your town is still doomed! The people have lived with this kid since he was a baby!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

maou shoujo posted:

Legitimate question here. As I recall from the SNES version, the reason why the boy got banished from his hometown was not because the sword was protecting the town. Rather, the sword's presence was inevitably going to attract more monsters that would be seeking to either destroy or steal the sword. This is the reason why you had to fight the Mantis Ant, and indeed later there are other boss fights that come basically out of nowhere. It is subverting the cliche of the hero's doomed hometown without actually breaking the fourth wall. You are the chosen one? Get out before we become collateral damage.

Did the remake mess up this bit of writing, or was that reviewer just terrible at reading?

The only difference I noticed at the start was that the spirit that talks to you when you pick up the sword is a lot less snarky, otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Otherwise I'd say the remake is too faithful to the original for a new audience. The battle system hasn't really aged well IMO, though maybe the magic system will be different? Also no way (that I could see) to check new equipment stats before buying, only who can equip them :(

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
However the weapon buff spells don't seem to be worth it, since they make enemies sometimes take waaay too long to register being hit.

I hope if they remake SD3 that doesn't happen again, because I loved playing as Sword, Thief and Amazon, have Sword buff his weapon, Amazon buff the party and Thief debuff the bosses, so I'd be doing tons of damage every swing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Another game that does it in a cool way is Probability 0, which is good because it's the most clear-cut sign that you're about to die.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

I don’t remember what you guys said in this thread about it that got me to get Hellbade and I’m only like 20 min in and at this one area there’s random very subtle and blended into the walls trees etc eyeballs that pop up randomly and it’s weeeeird and creepy.

Also the voices are driving me nuts already. I took the game’s advice and am using headphones and oh my god. 20 min. Already going crazy IRL. (I think this is really cool though, I’m not saying this is bad. What I mean is that it literally gets to your head, which is awesome.)

E: I also turn of all lights in my apartment for super effect :unsmigghh:

Really? I found the eye effect rather comical. I guess I just couldn't get into the game's intended mindset, the only thing that I guess felt right to me was the voices.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

Did you use headphones?

I definitely can see the eyes being silly cause of how they’re modeled, they’re big and, now that I think about it, cliche. For me though when I noticed them I was like, “wtf. Who is watching me. I am creeped out.”

Yeah, I always use headphones. The problem I had with the eyes was that they don't look real at all, which clashes with the rest of the game's style for me making it hard to feel like I was actually being watched.

But generally, I just wasn't having fun at all playing the game. I started out trying to look around, see the sights and stuff, but quickly enough I stopped caring about that. I decided I had enough and asked for a refund after I realized I was scowling throughout the last play session I had of the game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Heavy Rain was real bad. At some point David Cage was showing off a scene with the reporter character where she goes incognito into some dance club. Supposedly he was trying to show how powerful and independent she is, but his commentary on her actions was suuuuper creepy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Creepy Castle is an alright retro-style game that sometimes goes a bit too far in its retroishness (managing your inventory is a mess), but then you reach the end of Chapter 2B where you enter a 3D Sonic-style final boss fight including a vocal butt-rock theme song when until then all the music was chiptunes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Iselda (the map shop keep in Hollow Knight) has a really good greeting voice. I can just feel how bored yet resigned to forever work in that shop they are.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just finished my playthrough of RiME. Sorry for the upcoming big end-game spoiler block.

I was really hit in the gut when I got to the final storm scene where you gain control of the father and realize it's his kid that died in the storm. I thought I had it all figured out and was even thinking back to The Truman Show and then the switcheroo happened and bam I'm fighting back tears. But of course, thinking back it was obvious the kid was the one who drowned. My favorite telltale sign is in the first locale, sometimes you'll look somewhere and see the red-hooded figure watching you. However, if you go over where the figure was and look back to where you saw him from, you'll see the figure staring back at you again from that spot. That's because in both instances you're looking at yourself.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Olive! posted:

Whoa really? I never tried that.

Yeah, it's not from every location (I think), but I seem to remember at least two times, albeit going to the other side of one of them was optional.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

glad she is dead posted:

Watch_Dogs is much more bearable when you lean into the fact that you're playing an irredeemable prick.

*peels out on dead niece's grave*

And then he wonders why Nicole's never coming back.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The I think 2nd Langrisser game had 4 different ways to go through depending on if you aligned with the good guys, the bad guys, the monsters, or remained neutral.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

I remember an LP that went through most of that Langrisser, and each route has so much to it, it is amazing.

Yeah, I know! I wish they could have managed to push through everything, but I can totally get burning out on it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't call it a 'little thing' since it's one of the main draws, but I love that in Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs (a kingdom building sim with tactical RPG battles) each character works completely differently than the others, with unique skills and such. For instance you start out with your prince who's mainly a support type and his personal knight/bodyguard who works mostly as you'd expect a unit in such a game work...

And then the first character you recruit is a berzerker girl whose gimmick is all her attacks are AoE and she gets stronger every time an enemy dies.

So yeah, everyone is different, and with my new Pyromancer recruit no two people are not on fire.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't help but think that anyone standing on the deck of that beautiful monstrosity would be turned into a thin red mist just from the combined shockwave of all the cannons firing :magical:.

And cause a minor tsunami from the water displacement of said shockwave.

That image makes me wonder about a game where you're trying to build an Ace Combat style superweapon.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

BioEnchanted please make a Golden Axe-esque game based on the movie Willow, tia.

There's already a Legend of Zelda style Willow game for the NES and an arcade 2d platformer, funnily enough.

e: the NES game has this neat little thing where when you enter combat the environment starts animating spookily

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed CoH/V though I never really got far because I never really got far in MMORPGs. What I remember most is that I got in kind of late, and a lot of the discussions I saw were people lamenting that one villainous group the Heroes could fight (the Nazi one) was... I think either removed entirely or just had any reference to their Nazism removed.

At the time I figured everyone just wanted to punch the Nazis, but after 2016 I'm not so sure.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MrAptronym posted:

I think the rumor in game was that it was due to the release in Germany? The group was overthrown by a less obviously nazi referencing group, but I think the original "Fifth Column" group came back a few years later? I can't speak for all the players, I liked the community a lot but gamers are gamers, but the game itself was at least very clear on where it stood with respect to nazis. (Since this is 2018, I will specify that the game was in fact anti-nazi.) They were also nazis with vampires, werewolves and robots, so pretty comic-villain-ish.

Oh yeah, just to make it clear, I meant the people I was less sure of considering these days were the then complaining gamers, not the devs. If the faction was reintroduced that was after I stopped playing I guess. As with most MMORPGs I never played any for long, as oddly enough when you've got social anxieties and refuse to group with anyone the games aren't very fun. Who knew?

Oddly enough, the one MMO that somehow managed to fix that problem I had was the original Planetside. In just the first day I already got recruited to an Outfit and would always be playing in squads and had tons of stupid fun.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Polaron posted:

You eventually got the option to go to the Nazi Dimension (because of course there was a Nazi Dimension).

Oh, so you could hop to our dimension? :smug:

:smith:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There was a glitch I remember that NCSoft (or whoever was in charge at the time) refused to acknowledge where sometimes rarely you'd get attacked in a public zone by an invisible untargetable enemy, and the only way to get rid of it was to change zones.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, no discussion of CoH/V should go without mention of it - the best thing about it was the travel powers. Even in modern MMORPGs you can usually either get a normal mount or a flying mount or whatever like anyone else maybe it looks different, but in CoH/V you could run super fast, fly over everything, teleport anywhere or my favorite thing which was simply jumping around really far.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MrAptronym posted:

Man I still miss that game sometimes. I'm still not sure exactly what the secret sauce was that made it work, it might have just been the right things at the right time in MMO history, but I don't think I'll ever me as into an online game as I was CoH. It felt like it was more about getting into an interesting world and creating your own unique hero than anything else, and I appreciated that a lot.

I think what made it that way was inherent to the game's theme - each player was a unique superhero/villain. Even if you had the exact same power set + modifiers as another random player you still were likely to look completely different.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mine was Audio Surf. I'm not surprised I played it for less than an hour total, but I'm surprised I bothered to get Steam for it more than a decade ago. I mean I was never really big on music or non-violent racing games.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The world in the game is really awesome except for anything to do with the unfortunately existent Rape God. And his rape demons that can rape anyone or anything (even inanimate objects).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

Or if you cock things up, you come back and every map in the world is suddenly blank because you erased the invention of mapmaking.

Then why did they make the blank maps? :smug:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You shouldn't have done that.

IIRC his avatar will be very appropriate for the end results

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I tried to start playing Tyranny a bunch of times, but while the lore makes you seem like quite the badass from the start, I can't get through character creation because none of the starting 'skill expertise' really sound all that badass. I understand you're supposed to make your own spells and such, but each expertise being +6 to main skill +2-3 to minor skills and a single ability just gives me 'level 1 newbie' vibes. I'm trying to create the character blind mostly but there's no expertises there that really grab my interest.

e: oh gently caress, I just remembered I went to sleep later after trying to make a character and decided to try some kinda Dark Knight two-hander with that debuff magic thing on the side, but forgot all about it the next day, I should get on that

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 15:06 on May 31, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I mean the conceit is different, but the canon ending to Mortal Kombat Armageddon is what I imagine the ending to that hypothetical game would be.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think I heard they got rid of the chart-deciphering grind in the remake, but maybe I missed it or they cut that part out of the LP I watched quite some time ago.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

I don't remember the chart/triforce-chunk part being bad, but I remember being blue-balled as gently caress when the game implies it's time for a Zora-related dungeon and instead you crack open a cave not far from the starting island and Jabu-Jabu just loving hands you the third MacGuffin. :effort:

I don't remember that, but there's a whole Zora island except now they're birds

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ys 8. Game's much more stable now, though still not enough so I wouldn't suggest buying it at the moment (especially at full price).

However, from my time playing it, and then after playing some Ys 7, I've really come to appreciate the Flash Guard mechanic in 8. The way it works is you press a button, and for an instant you glow, and if an enemy hits you at that time you negate the attack and get skill energy and ultimate skill energy and cool stuff like that.

Now, the same button that controls the flash guard by default also combos with the symbol buttons, which works really well since you can immediately counter any attack that's about to hit you that way. Even cooler, if it's a continuous attack, then you can spam skills, which will also constantly activate flash guard again and again.

Now, what made me appreciate this even more, is that in Ys 7, by default you need to press two different buttons at the same time to flash guard. And I have no clue why. Though you can just set both buttons to be the same one, so that's an easy fix. However, I tried to again put the same button for flash guard as the combo button for skills, but in this game flash guard also stops you in place for a moment, and you can't move or attack, so you can't have as much fun with it.

So yeah, hoping NISA will finish fixing Ys 8 up soon, because when it's running fine it's a lot of fun, and now I can see how well it built up on the previous game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I want Ryu (from Streets), Ryu Hayabusa, BoF Ryu and uhh... there's gotta be another Ryu somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Erotic Wakes posted:

The people who spent months rolling their eyes about the Fake Nerds who like Ready Player One because it's just a bunch of references now foaming at the mouth with excitement at the prospect of playing all their favorite Brands is kind of funny in a depressing way.

drat, most people waste :10bux: on reregs to say racist poo poo, you did it for RPO.