Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

My Lovely Horse posted:

More from Deus Ex: HR: at some point there's a list of usernames and logins that are all famous science-fiction writers, and if you check a particular computer, you find out someone's employing Kevin Mitnick as a hacker.

Also, you'll know this if you beat the second boss: Newsanchor Eliza Cassan turns out to be an AI. ELIZA is one of the first examples of chat bots.

Less subtly, you go looking for her in Room 404.

That whole part of the plot was always weird for me because I just assumed she was an AI from the word go; the big not-entirely-canonical cinematic trailer didn't spell it out, but she seemed more obviously stiff and robotic in that. Not to mention that computer-generated news anchors go hand-in-hand with cyberpunk in my mind, in part thanks to Batman Beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

Could you, without a walkthrough? It's been almost twenty years, but I remember some of them being pretty tricky...

I could probably do it, but most of my time would be spent overcoming that goddamn "match the musical notes by ear" puzzle inside the spaceship. :argh:

Re: Riven. You can't actually speed-run it the way you can with Myst because the code needed to open the manhole and start the endgame sequence is dynamically generated about 60-80% of the way through the game. Same thing for the code you need to free Catherine/not get the bad ending, IIRC.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Jul 25, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Lavender posted:

I'll never forget Myst the first time I looked at the constellations, and had a hunch what each one symbolized, and ended up solving the puzzle with it. I agree; I think there'd be a market for more of these games that really require your own organization and notes to complete.

I feel like FEZ is the closest thing I've seen recently that gives you the same sort of challenge. You can beat that game pretty easily, but to get 100% requires a lot of care and attention to detail - and, likely, note-taking.

Well, Jonathan Blow's got The Witness and Cyan themselves have Obduction in the works. I think I've seen a few other indie releases on Steam that seemed to be going for a similar style though I can't say if any of them succeed at it or are any good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm pretty sure the rights to III and IV are stuck with Ubisoft. It's a shame because III is really great. (IV didn't really click with me at all.)

URU, either via the Complete Chronicles or via mystonline.com for free is also worth checking out, though mostly if you're really into the worldbuilding stuff. The puzzles are a bit hit-or-miss, IMO.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Jul 27, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Myst had each set of puzzles branch off from the hub, and those sets were self-contained (with one minor exception) and generally linear, so things never got too complicated. Riven on the other hand is centered around two gigantic game-spanning puzzles, with most everything else in-between being basic problem solving in order to operate the right levers and machines and walkways that will let you find all of the information you need and set the two solutions in motion. It's impressive but also a wee bit crazy. :v:

Ryoshi posted:

There was a Myst trilogy with the first three games that got a pretty huge print run about ten years ago, it's probably not that difficult to find these days (although I want to say there were some serious compatibility issues with Exile). I'm pretty sure I've seen a few shrink wrapped copies of Myst IV in Half Price Books as well.

I went back to Exile about a year ago and was surprised to find that it played without a hitch. Original disk, even. I'd expect a lot more problems with old copies of Myst and Riven. I wanna say my dad couldn't even get a GOG copy of Myst to run.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Doctor Bishop posted:

The GOG versions of Myst and Riven I got both worked without a hitch as far as I can remember, so maybe you should tell him to give it another try, since the people at GOG do definitely make an effort to update and improve their rereleases of old games if it turns out that a lot of people are having problems with them.

I don't even know what his original problem was, but it's a moot point now anyway since he immediately bought realMyst Masterpiece as soon as it came out. I think that's our fourth copy of Myst now. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Alot. You get the best ending with him (Go Go Gay Aussie Rat of Tobruk Scientist man). Faulke straight up genocides the aliens and kills all the sleepwalkers, and Weaver, I think, is in the middle? I dunno

The endings are the other way around. I'm glad I made the right choice in my playthrough considering what downer endings the other two are. Though in true The Bureau fashion, I believe in Faulke's ending he basically resigns the Sleepwalkers to a peaceful but inevitable death due to the lack of a cure, despite one of the sidequests in the main game showing they've taken steps towards a possible cure. :shrug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For whatever sad reason the only digital distributor that had SWAT 4 was Direct2Drive, and when they got sold to Gamefly it went bye bye. :(

Edit: The next closest thing is SWAT 3 on Gog.com.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Sep 30, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chard posted:

No joke I'd play and have a lot of fun with a game that was just loving with Havok ragdolls, maybe solving puzzles by flinging them places with a frontflip. I spent hours doing this while waiting for Dark Souls 1 matchmaking to click

So something like...this?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
People play games for various reasons and one of them is immersion. That's not to say that immersion is the absolute most important feature of video games on the whole, or that every single game has to offer it, of course, but it's also not inherently good or bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You can even play through the first time with an alternate costume. There's a button code for it, and you have to do it every time before you load your save, but it works.

Playing through AC with chiseled slab-body TAS Batman was fun, but also weird.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Oct 26, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Alteisen posted:

So who is the new Hoxton then? :confused:

Dallas' weeny little brother, hence the new Texas-based codename of Houston.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Anatharon posted:

Something I didn't know until I watched Chip Cheezum's Let's Play: Raptors have a dwarf gekko inside them, that's why they have tiny arms.

Their stun kill has Raiden yank the little fucker out so that it ends up falling just above the Raptor body's Zandatsu point, so ideally you slash both up simultaneously.

If you don't make good on killing the Dwarf Gekko though (and I think it does this if you don't finish the Raptor via Zandatsu), then the Dwarf Gekko survives to annoy the crap out of you a little longer. :argh:

They're absolutely adorable when they're not messing up your combo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There was also a side mission FC3 where you used the GPS tracker. To be honest, I kind of assumed muscles meant FC3 in the first place, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they just repeated the same side mission again for 4.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Exit Strategy posted:

Not sure if it's been posted yet - Only up to about Page 13 here, but someone reminded me of it. I am the only person on Earth who actually liked Singularity, the FPS. And the thing that pushed me over into liking the horrible, linear thing was the little touch at the end.

Shoot the Scientist, become a general under the Commissar. Shoot the Commissar, and the Scientist helps you undo most of what you've done. But there's a brief period after you shoot one where you still have control of your own actions... And a revolver. Shoot the other one, and become God-King of a new United States.

It didn't crop up in this thread, but I definitely posted about it in the previous one. It might've been my first post in it, even.

But yeah, I love that little touch. Raven always makes really likeable B shooters.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow, I never noticed this.

I wanna say that once you get the IR scope (or whatever it's called) you can even see the plagas inside of him with it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

haveblue posted:

Something even more fun is that the game will actually register that as a nonlethal takedown rather than a kill and the stats will acknowledge that.

And further still, you get a bonus for completing a fight with zero lethal kills. There's a few spots where you can get it "naturally" due to a fight being nothing but unmanned machines, but otherwise you gotta work for it or just use High Frequency Wooden Sword :3:.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chard posted:

Dang that is not a whole lot of time to complete two longish games and one shortish one, although on the Agenda page on that website it kinda sounds like you only need to play them at all during the period to unlock the content (which I think is just the Emlek Tarosh character/questlines):

I'm not sure if there's more to it in Endless Space aside from being able to hire the guy (at a glance he doesn't seem to have anything special except maybe higher than normal Wits?), a special empire-wide buff effect tied to the event, and the associated achievement.

For Dungeon of the Endless, he's currently available by default and you just need to run him through three floors to permanently unlock him, which is pretty straightforward.

I don't own Endless Legend, but from what I've gleaned you just need to complete his associated quest and/or beat him + recruit him to have him unlocked.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
e: nvm

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Though honestly the way SiN Episodes handled its dynamic difficulty wasn't all that great to begin with, IMO.

I seem to recall Max Payne had a similar situation where loading quicksaves (versus full, proper saves) wouldn't trigger the game to ease back on the difficulty, so the game would just get more and more ridiculous as time went on.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Isn't there also a stealth ability where you can point to some other guy and go "Hey, it's him, the virus dude!" and have his buddies all freak out and hose him down with bullets?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In that particular case it was less about L4D2 being lovely (though there is a case to be made about L4D2 being not-that-great) and more about Valve immediately releasing a follow up one year later instead of supporting the original game in the same vein as TF2, which GabeN originally said they were going to do.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Both super mario sunshine and galaxy are fabulous but in different ways. The controls are incredibly slick in both games and the stage structure plays to their strengths well, with the water gun's 3 different kinds of mobility making it better suited to open levels and galaxy's gravity mechanics better working with linear levels as you jump to different planetoids one by one.

Galaxy also had some very good traditional levels without much gravity fuckery though. I guess those levels made people wish the whole game was like that which is why so many people complain that the levels weren't as open as in 64 and sunshine.

Sunshine feels incredibly unfocused to the point where it doesn't seem to really please anyone entirely. Beyond the camps that love FLUDD/hate the challenge levels and hate FLUDD/love the challenge levels, you have the oddness brought on by a Mario game constrained by "realistic" level concepts, the water mechanics not being as fleshed out as they maybe could've been, and maybe you're a weirdo like me that was more into cleaning up all the neat gloopy paint as a kid, which is largely forgotten as the game goes on. And of course the surprisingly lovely objective design. I can't see anyone defending stuff like the watermelon contest. Blue coins weren't particularly great either...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

I brought this point up with some friends that I play games with and I think it applies here:

If you are playing a game like D&D, you are at the mercy of the dice for better or worse. If you roll like poo poo during a session, your Cleric is going to get messed up and you're going to have to adjust.

I view video games the same way. Unless I know it's a bullshit fake choice, I will accept failure and roll with it. If I flub an attack or piss off a character by saying something they don't like (this is not saying something "wrong") then I will try something else. I don't k ow of any video game where you can fail a random chance and not be able to beat the game. it may be insensitive but anyone that complains about "suboptimal play" is always autistic.

The biggest difference is that a tabletop allows for more choice and variety.

You're literally never at the mercy of the dice in a tabletop game because you, the GM, and anyone else in the game ultimately have veto power on anything that happens. Taken to the extreme, yeah, it'll probably ruin the fun and satisfaction of the game if you just toss the dice out altogether and narrate your character automatically winning every fight by default, but that's down to the discretion of the players. Tabletop games also have the gigantic benefit of (hopefully) having a GM with a brain steering the game, who can dynamically react to what the players are doing (or what they want) rather than stoically processing input like a machine.

Of course this argument got weird pretty fast because nobody seems to be clear on what kind of game anyone else is talking about. In games where failure has interesting consequences (example: CKII), relentlessly save scumming sounds dull, especially because those games are often built as "things going wrong" simulators. Less sandboxy and more linear games rarely have a meaningful consequence for failure, and in something like a shooter, there's a difference between quick saving every minute to bookmark your progress and reloading the game after every single minor mistake like some crazy time traveler.

Enemy Unknown is an odd duck IMO, because you can argue for either side of the coin. I can totally see why people would consider the perma-death mechanic and harsh consequences for loving up to be interesting, but EU is also pointedly more linear and your squaddies more personable than in previous X-Com games. So I equally get why some people would rather restart a mission than lose a high rank soldier they invested a shitload of time into. Though again, there's also the distinction to be made between essentially restarting from a checkpoint and meticulously and obsessively re-rolling every single dice roll so that you soldiers never miss and the aliens never hit. Might as well save yourself the trouble and just actually cheat at that point.

Really what I'm always most fascinated by in these arguments are the weird attitudes that often crop up, where "cheap" tactics need to be removed from the game because some players are incapable of playing even slightly non-optimally to the point of ruining their enjoyment. That the temptation to "cheat" is so overwhelming that they need to be saved from themselves. Or, while not particularly common on SA, the implication that a "lesser" player enjoying the same experience ruins the satisfaction of beating a game legitimately (ie, Super Guide is the cancer killing Nintendo because how many Mario worlds I can beat legitimately is how many inches my dick is).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dude literally asks you to stay awhile and listen. :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It has been patched, but the way it worked was that there's a perk that gives extra dodge while sprinting as well as a perk that gives extra dodge while crouching, and there was nothing stopping you from combining the two to look so ridiculous you couldn't be hit by bullets.

On the flipside, any time I come across a Super Pro 1337 Payday 2 Spec-Ops Ultra Kill Clan 360 No-Scope stealthing video, they still do the crouch jump thing and it still seems to work. You don't actually make any noise just by moving in Payday 2. I think the idea is that you're getting the reduced detection of being crouched while maintaining a higher velocity, which aside from the obvious benefit of getting around faster while being harder to spot, it also reduces the overall amount of time you spend within anything's line of sight. Frankly it's annoying to watch since it's not actually necessary most of the time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

recently I found out you can make the horse gundam.

I feel the need to specify that yes, the horse Gundam is piloted by an actual horse.

Also now all I can think of is a Platinum-made G Gundam game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

My favorite was chucking a grenade into a squad then popping into Bullet Time so I could hear them scream " fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" in slow mo.
Don't forget to air-burst the grenade by shooting it. :hellyeah:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Also you could take a picture of your face with the game boy camera, and upload it into PD64 to make yourself. Never saw it in action though, hell, may have been a cut feature for all I know lol.

That was cut, yeah. The generally agreed-upon reason was that letting kids put the faces of, say, their classmates on NPCs and then shoot them...wasn't such a great idea. Beyond that, it generally looked like rear end and required two additional gimmicky products to even use, so no big loss, I think.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In Watchdogs you can occasionally hack the big brother servers and see random data feeds of the automatic surveillance system at work. One I found today was of a kid playing Assassin's Creed with his dad watching, and the dad just gets increasingly confused and annoyed with it. "Now he's talking to the guy he just killed?" "Yeah, it's like...a confession." "This is dumb." "Dad, you're ruining it!" :3:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In Shadow of Mordor, creeping up on a captain that had bested me previously and hearing him gloat aloud about how awesome he was for managing to kill me. Unfortunately he was also awesomely vulnerable to stealth takedowns. :ninja:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They'd never do it, but I wish they'd port the Xbox/PS2 version of Double Agent to PC.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

I found a big mouth billy bass in DX:MD that plays classic Deus Ex music

Yeah, but can you remotely hack it in order to distract guards? Watchdogs: 1, Deus Ex: 0. :colbert:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I almost never see it used, but we even have :shopkeeper:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mondian posted:

Sadly not as much as it used to. The locomotive used to be an amazing choice and the obvious go-to even for people that weren't spec'd into shotties but that all changed about two weapon revamps ago .

Granted I haven't touched PD2 since before the biker update, but I doubt loco is king again

Shotguns were buffed across the board and all the new shotgun skills benefit the Loco just swell. It's just not the undisputed, balance-wrecking King of All Shotguns Forever anymore.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I complained about Prototype 2's iffy writing (and some other stuff) in the sister thread, but outside of that the gameplay is pretty great and it's clear they actually cared about the game thanks to a lot of the little stuff they added in.

One of the very nice perks you can get is bulletproof skin - small arms fire is a constant bleed on your health otherwise. But it not only stops you from taking damage from bullets, it actually makes them ricochet off of you, which can then hit enemies.

And despite my qualms with the writing, this side mission made me smile:

Eat poo poo, eugenicists. :fuckoff:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

The best ability, of course is injecting the virus into a dude to make him explode into Venom tentacles that then grab everything they can and slam them back into the guy that exploded; resulting in more explosions.

This is what replaces the accuse ability in 2, so it's a bit of a hard sell. (Also the stealth is just as broken as it ever was, so often enemies don't actually have a reaction to their buddies getting maimed.) I'm more a fan of the active tendrils power since it wrecks brawlers and juggernauts. Either way though you end up leaving horrible tendril messes of loosely hanging body parts everywhere.

poptart_fairy posted:

It should be really cheap on PC now, and runs really well.

It has two big problems: One is a logic error really early on (like mission 2 early on) where an objective fails to update correctly and leaves you stuck in a limbo state. You can dodge that by dropping the game's CPU core affinity to 1 core for the couple of seconds it takes to trigger that objective, but apparently that doesn't always work. Two, it rather infamously hates AMD cards. Assuming you can avoid those two issues, it looks great and plays great.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You could tell they ran out of time/money towards the end of the game.

Edit: And now that I've hit that point, the second game just kind of ends too. drat. :/

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Oct 28, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

Yeah, a lot of the CoD games (you know, that series that they make a new game for every year and as such the community in the older games move on to the new ones and die out?) are still shockingly expensive. For example, the latest game (that isn't the one coming out in a few days) is Black Ops 3 at 60 bucks. Guess what Black Ops 2 is? Its also 60 bucks. The first Blops game from 6 years ago is still FOURTY. None of the CoD games go below 20 bucks, including the first one that came out 13 years ago. AAA titles from anywhere else drop in prices faster then Activision games.

At least they put their stuff on sale constantly, and if you hunt around you can get some ok deals. Otoh, I'm pretty sure that Deadpool game will never ever go on sale for lower than $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tempest_56 posted:

It worked fairly well in City of Heroes - there were already pre-existing billboards scattered. Since it was a modern (if fictionalized) city, so seeing a billboard for Coke or the new Tony Hawk game as you flew past was entirely natural. When the actual advertising money stopped, the billboards were just replaced with ads for in-game background companies, like personal injury attorneys that went after superpower-related accidents or superspeed-themed energy drinks. It worked pretty great, even if I doubt it was even slightly worthwhile in terms of advertising dollars.

Considering those ads existed for all of like two months tops before being pulled, definitely not. I think afterwards they filled in the ad space billboards with random new stuff that you could tell didn't quite fit right.

I'm not sure if that was at all related to them screwing up the texture pool at one point so that a prominent industrial warehouse in the middle of a villain zone was apparently a Mexican restaurant.